Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > What Did You Do Frugal Today

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 06:06 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

What Did You Do Frugal Today~October 2018

For encouragement in frugal ways--large and small--look no further. This is where we share helpful hints for stretching our money, saving time and making sure we don't waste resources.

Remember, "frugal" does not mean "don't spend money!" It means "be wise with what you spend!"

What Did YOU Do Frugal Today?

Anna
Old 09-30-2018, 06:24 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Good Evening Everyone

Hard to believe its October again the year has went by so quickly.

My frugals have been cooking all our meals from home. We were buying pizza and a sub every Friday night but for the past month our pizza shop has burned our pizza, made it wrong and in the case of last week gave us the totally wrong pizza. I like my sub loaded with extra lettuce and tomato and though they charged me for it, two weeks in a row I opened it and had to have them add it. So we decided enough.. for $28 we were definitely not getting our moneys worth so we went back to making our own. Cheaper and healthier for some weird reason husband was getting bathroom issues from the pizza shop not so with making our own. We are buying the shells right now from a bakery 2 12 inch shells for $2.50 a pkg. and I was gifted at the pantry two in a pack these long loafs of bread, I cut them in half, then sliced them in half lengthwise and made 4 sub buns from them, put them in the deep freezer. I used Oscar Meyer ham slices and turkey slices I found on sale last week for 50 cents a pkg. so definitely cheaper and healthier again.

Frugal Friday: I stopped at my favorite thrift store, found a handmade quilt she used mens suit jackets, polyester material all left over scraps and hand sewed it in to a quilt paid $3.99. I found a waffle iron for $6.96 looked it up original price $30.00. So I will be making up waffles and putting in deep freezer. I don't eat a lot of these and when I do I use fresh fruit and syrup off my jams that didn't set up instead of using maple syrup which I hate. I also saw in their demo video making french toast in the waffle iron would not have thought of that.

David had his hospital test done last Tuesday Cat Scan and Bone Scan we have not heard back on the results so praying it is cancer free.

With all the frugal things I have been doing we are blessed to keep all our bills paid and current and still have money in the savings account in fact was able to add to the savings this week so we are doing very good on one salary. I do want to go back to work at least part time but will probably wait now till spring even if we get good test results.

So what is everyone else doing frugally?

Anna
Old 10-01-2018, 05:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Anna, I've seen videos of people cooking cinnamon rolls in waffle irons.

I've been so busy getting things ready for Purrs auction this week that I haven't had time to look at the ads and shop so that is a money saver.

Roberta

Old 10-01-2018, 07:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

subbing
Old 10-04-2018, 12:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Anna, I am not much of a syrup person either with one exception, Walden Farms makes a maple walnut syrup that is to my taste, but I put it on yogurt in the evenings, and sometimes in my yogurt I put sugar free blueberry jam when I don't have actual blueberries.

I keep wanting to go to our Goodwill, and we also have a St Paul's Thrift Shop in town...not sure what I want yet so am waiting until there is a need. I like your remakes, and the price is sooo good.

Roberta, I hope your Purrs auction goes well!

Sueanne, I like how you build in extra nutrition, I try to do that for my husband also.

I think about you all, and how when I was at home we all ate so much better and so much cheaper, if it weren't for having to work for the healthcare benefit I know we would save bundles of money by me being at home. The salary vs incidentals for working outside the home is not as great a difference as expected.

Right now I am working on Christmas gifts, that means knitting first and sewing in desperation at the last if needed. I have tons to work off in both yarn and fabric stash!

My sister is doing better since getting a painkiller and taking her anti nausea meds, she might even be gaining a little weight. The cancer is not in remission but we are still hopeful this new drug will make a difference. We should know by November - December time frame.

I am going down once a month to visit with her. Last time she wanted to talk politics! For me it was uncomfortable but if that is how she wants to connect then I will go with it, but I need to do some background work before I can even sound intelligent on the issues, let alone understand what I am saying! LOL!

We've got rain again. My daughter and her new husband are doing well. My other daughter and her spouse are settling in nicely to their new house. Our pets at home are getting older and the chickens have gotten bumblefoot which we treat with soaks in epsom salts and some antibiotic topicals. Not sure it will ever go away, but it is getting better and not as 'angry' looking an infection in their toes. Poor little chickies! It was such a wet summer and that didn't help their feet.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 10-08-2018, 06:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I've made organic applesauce and cider with the apples I was gifted from a client.

The auction went as well as it could with the 3rd location. I haven't heard the total yet.

Roberta

Old 10-10-2018, 10:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

hi all , it has been a very long time since I visited but think of u all often & keep you all in my prayers. Not as frugal as in the past but as frugal as I can be wth my disabilities. Both legs & back have been effected and my hands and arms have bad days but not every day, thank God. Trying to back in frugal maode as drugs are skyrocketing on us.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:01 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Just thought I would stop in and say hi!
Old 10-11-2018, 09:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Good to hear from you both, Cau & bluebird.

My frugal lately is ignoring the sale ads. We don't need anything so even if I can get it free or nearly free it doesn't need to come in and add to the clutter.

My new med is causing my tiredness, I think, which adds more onto my depression. Though it could be that my heart just isn't able to handle working 32 hrs out side of the home. Which isn't good will see what the lab works say and I may have the doctor take me off of it.

Roberta

Old 10-12-2018, 11:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi girls, hope you all are enjoying this fall. Just yesterday we started getting temperatures that feel like fall. We are supposed to have a chilly weekend. I'm ready for cooler weather but I don't look forward to winter weather. We have been blessed here because I know so many around the world have been through such terrible tornadoes, flooding and hurricanes in recent months. It's time for me to cook dh's breakfast and pack his work lunch but I wanted to say hi to everyone. I'm sorry I've not been posting lately. Have a great evening.

Closed Thread