Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 04:45 PM
Nine Year Member

Organizing papers to have handy in case of hurricans!

Spent today clearing out old papers and putting policies in freezer bags to protect them. Put rubber bands around groups to keep together especially items I have replaced in the house. Have a few fireproof boxes that are heavy but they serve the purpose. Next job is going through medical bills only keeping a couple of years & shredding the rest! Keeping items listed on front of envelope helps. May not be frugal now but will come in handy later when I need them.
_________
Sueanne

Old 09-15-2018, 05:30 PM
Nine Year Member

Heard a tip about flooding or other natural disasters to put items you want to protect inside your dishwasher which keeps them dry as they are water tight.

Roberta
Old 09-19-2018, 09:57 AM
Nine Year Member

Hello Ladies, just catching up after a two week or more hiatus from FC...was in California meeting my new son in law parents (yes we all liked each other) and then on to the wedding which was marvellous (I missed not having God in the ceremony even though it was a courthouse ceremony and to be expected)...

Frugal for me is adding up expenses for the last four months, noting I wasn't too ridiculous, figuring out how to pay for it all over the next months, and seeing that I can pay it all off before I retire in 2021 !

Still packing lunches and breakfasts...still taking in clothes as I lose weight (tops and bottoms both)...and cooking dinners from home...taking the bus more now helps with gas expenses...heading into the heating season so electric will be less as the AC won't be running...really want to get rid of HULU as I don't watch it at all...got a raise so that was good...

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 09-19-2018, 01:31 PM
Nine Year Member

Delete it Ellen, you can always have it back on for a few months during the winter if need be. I'd cancel the upper channels on cable but 2 of the channels we watch several times a week. I need to see if it is possible to view them online or Netflix which we do have for DH.

I'm using as many coupons and rebates as I can to keep the bills lower. With the new client I'm working 30-33 hrs, 5 days, a week. Which is plenty with doctor appts and keeping up with the house.

I haven't been able to get any help cutting down the trash trees and shrub so I bought a small chain saw on sale for $50 and will do them myself. Will need professional help with the 2 big trees, $1000 for them was my estimate. So will save a little money getting the smaller ones myself.

Roberta
Old 09-19-2018, 05:45 PM
Nine Year Member

Ellen, Just wanted to tell you I was impressed how well you looked. You really looked trim & youthful losing weight & exercising. It is funny how we all can't wait to retire after working so many years. The years afterward seem to fly by.

Roberta, I have always been afraid to use a chain saw. Seen how dangerous they can be with the chains. My dh always went out in NJ and cut our own wood for the wood burning stove. In Fl. the electric saw we bought helped keep everything trim especially cutting small tree limbs. Be glad when it gets a little cooler so I can tackle some hedges that have over grown.
_______
Sueanne

Old 09-20-2018, 08:25 AM
Nine Year Member

Ellen I would love to see pictures. Congrats to your dear daughter and way to go with not overspending.
Roberta be careful. Great price on the chainsaw.
Still keeping up with my usual frugals. Trying to keep things organized and uncluttered. I have to clean out my craft, toy, computer room. I still have baby toys back there. I have craft things I know I won't get to. Going to box things up and have Hubby take to to the Good Will.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 09-20-2018, 04:47 PM
Nine Year Member

Started cleaning out the bathroom cabinet under the sink. Surprised how much had to be thrown out that were past dated & don't use any more. Glad I saved some empty boxes to sort things out. It is a job that has to be done early in the morning when you are not to tired to bend. Everything looks neat now and sorted in different containers to pull out for viewing. Do another bathroom another day.
________
Sueanne

Old 09-20-2018, 05:30 PM

Sounds like you all have caught the declutter bug. I have slowly been doing that here too. I bought a shredder which is fantastic other than it gets too hot after a half hour and you have to let it cool for a half hour but man it cuts paper in to teeny tiny pieces. I found a whole year 2016 of payroll stubs from the candy store today so those have been added to my shred box.

We saw the Urologist on Tuesday, super nice younger guy. He thinks dh has Prostratetitis not sure if that is spelled right. So he has him on 4 meds some are antibiotics and he is to take them for a whole month. In the meantime he is setting up for him to have bone scan, MRI scan, Cat scan.. don't have dates yet just to make sure cancer hasn't spread somewhere else. In 30 days he'll have his PSA rechecked, he said there is sometimes a bounce after radiation where it'll jump up then go back down. So at least for the next month he does not want me looking for a job at all. With help from the pantry and watching our money we are doing o.k. bills are paid, there is food in the house, food in the pantry and food in the freezers so we are blessed.

I talked to one of my former co workers today, he quit right after I started he sued the realty company for not paying his wages when he worked after hours, didn't pay him for working weekends and didn't pay us when we came in to work early (we were paid from 9 to 5) but were required to be there at 8:30am. He won the lawsuit, the company has to not only pay his lost wages but a penalty to the state. He said the owner contacted him today was really nasty to him. And the girl who assaulted me is gone. We both are just thankful we are out of that environment.

Anna
Old 09-21-2018, 09:40 AM
Nine Year Member

Found some brand new Resin wicker patio chairs at Goodwill today were only
$12 each. They sell for almost $200 for both at Targets. Could have should have bought four but really don't have that many people that like to sit outside.
Also bought a small Farberware skillet for $3 brand new for making scrambled eggs in the morning non stick that makes them perfect.
_______
Sueanne

Old 09-24-2018, 07:27 AM
Nine Year Member

Thanks Sueanne for the compliment! I hope to keep trim, and by staying active, youthful too! I got a chuckle out of the reason you do lower cabinets in the am! I too am an am cleaner, afternoons I am too tired to bend also. And I love my non stick and Pam spray for fried eggs. It's an evening snack for me. I like the whites sort of crisp and rubbery and the yolks soft so I do it on medium heat under a lid and flip once.

Roberta, be careful ! I know you will be! and thanks for the reminder on Hulu, I'll do that next after posting.

Laur-can't post pix unless I use my ipad! have a few though so hope to find time tonight to do so!

Anna, wow, that place must have been really awful! glad you are out of there and I agree to take some time off, fingers crossed prayers being said for hubby's health.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."

Closed Thread