Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > What Did You Do Frugal Today

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 03:16 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

What Did You Do Frugal Today~August 2018

For encouragement in frugal ways--large and small--look no further. This is where we share helpful hints for stretching our money, saving time and making sure we don't waste resources.

Remember, "frugal" does not mean "don't spend money!" It means "be wise with what you spend!"

What Did YOU Do Frugal Today?

Anna
Old 08-01-2018, 03:27 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Today starts a new chapter for me. I quit my job yesterday at the property management company. It was a very toxic environment that I tried my best to work around but I had two female co workers who berated me, criticized, actually physically assaulted me back in May and were awful to work with. I finally recorded some of their conversations last week one of which was while I went out on break and reported it to the owner. He tried to get them to behave but yesterday same crap they talked in low tones so he couldn't hear them but they wanted me to hear it I said "Enough". I did offer to give 2 weeks notice but he said he didn't want me to be there if I wasn't happy. So I am back to looking for another job, I made it there 7 months. I would say I hope they treat the next receptionist better but it won't happen 3 receptionists in a year and a half. We budgeted for this I knew the handwriting was on the wall after about the first 2 months so we've been saving money back for emergencies so we'll be o.k. I am going with a young friend today to a resource center to get her help they are facing eviction and she has a new born baby and no car. The place we are going gives out free fruit and veggies from 4 to 6 pm on Wednesdays so hoping to get that for both of us and get some help for her with guidance on resources like food stamps. Her boyfriend is a jerk, he works at Honda and spends over $200 a month on beer and cigarettes and isn't paying their rent and utilities. This is the young girl who stayed with us several years ago. David is home this morning they had a power failure there at 2pm yesterday and it's still out this morning so he won't go in till 10am.

My pantry and freezers are stocked, that's why we all do this for hard times, natural disasters like floods, tornadoes etc. so I am thankful for all the inspiration I have gotten here over the years.

Anna
Old 08-01-2018, 06:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Anna, I am glad you quit that job, work stress is very damaging. I also am proud to see you haven't stopped helping the poor and helpless! First your dog adoptions and now people 'adoptions' ! Be careful with voice recording as it is illegal to do so without the person's knowledge. In this day and age it may not seem so, but it is.

I have figured out retirement for me is in three years, I had so hoped it to be earlier but now that I have a firm date, I just need to be sure I keep doing my job well, and don't give them a reason to let me go before my time! I want to pay down debt, get more savings in, and re-vamp my job goals (do I want to coast or try for a promotion?).

Been decluttering lately, mostly because company is coming tomorrow!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 08-03-2018, 11:12 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Ellen

I don't know about other states but here it is legal to record as long as one person knows they are being recorded rather a stupid logic but it is legal to record.. you can not use it in a court of law unless you say "you might be being recorded" but yes you can record. And thank you yes this job was awful and I am going to be very careful to "Look before I leap" into the next one. I plan to retire in 3 years that is the goal.

And yes I was glad to be able to help Brandy.. she went back today her boyfriend got up (he works nights) and took her so they could do it together even though they are having troubles and not together as much and may eventually break up. She said at first they were not eligible till they looked and saw how much the bills were and that he is paying insurance and that yes they were eligible so I am so thankful that she will get some help and perhaps it will relieve some of the stress from their relationship.

Anna
Old 08-03-2018, 11:13 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Frugal Today:

Eating grits exp. in 2015 still good Yum! Salt and butter. I was hungry and nothing else here really sounded good. I had boiled eggs for breakfast think next week going to do some research on egg burrittos. So todays frugal was I had 3 $2.00 coupons for Krogers they give us usually $8.00 worth when we pick up our monthly meds Thank you Krogers. So I used one on my Clicklist order. I went in Krogers I had forgot to buy Kroger sausage it's the kind that is used for Brats but in a sausage it was on sale 2 for $5.00. With my coupon took it down to 2 for $3.00. David plans to make Rigatoni tomorrow using sausage instead of burger. That meal will feed us about 3 dinners for Two people. One of the sausages I have in the deep freezer for another meal. We like a bagged chicken meatball they have there not sure of the brand? Its normally $7.99 a bag and can be used for two dinners. It was on sale for $6.99 and I had another coupon to use (seperate orders) for $2.00 off so that worked out to $4.99 divided in to 2 dinners $2.50 each. I have trained for frugalness for years and always looking for new ideas so we can do this till I find another job.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hello Ellen & Anna,

Anna, sorry to hear about the bullying experienced in the workplace, terrible!

I will be very interested in hearing about all your frugal tips as I need to get going frugal wise.

Ellen, congratulations on your weight loss. This is something I need to concentrate on .....

Hello to everyone else, I hope you are all keeping well.

As for me, we are still chugging along. Dad is getting more frail, but is still managing with looking after mum. I am doing more for them though now, as in shopping and cleaning.

Frugal wise, I am trying to be proactive as regards Brexit, so whether we end up leaving the European Union or not, with or without an agreement, I am buying tinned veg and meat, uht milk etc. The thing is is that we have a very tiny home, 550 square feet so not much room, but every little extra thing helps. At the moment, everything is such a mess politically with a lot of doom mongering so I want to be wise and make sensible decisions, and not knee jerk reactions based on over emotional media headlines.

Also, busy crocheting some blankets so we don’t need to have the heating on as much, fuel prices are increasing again.

We are having a hot summer this year, quite rare for us. We even had snow this last winter which is the first in 7 years, so nice to have proper seasons. I am contemplating growing my own veg next year, but this depends on whether I become a full time carer for mum or not.

Need to go,

Take care all.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:27 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Butterfly

Good to see you online again. Having a small house is a challenge, mine is 670 sq feet but I have a basement and a small shed of course the shed we can't store food in but extra junk can be stored in there.

David did make the rigatoni yesterday it was so good.. I had a salad with it. We had peaches that were given to us through the food pantry and later in the evening he wanted a milk shake. He said why don't you run over to Wendys and buy us one? We had No Sugar Added ice cream here and almond milk which was given to us free through Krogers and was still good so I made our own milkshakes instead. Cost $2.50 for two milkshakes that was the cost of the ice cream. So better for us because it didn't have sugar in it and used what we had on hand instead of spending money.

This morning I had left over grits from the other day, getting ready to put on a big pot of northern beans with bacon. The beans are a large can about 3 lbs. I think? so enough for several meals. I am using tomatoes that I froze from the garden last year and a can of spaghetti sauce $1.00. The bacon was $3 so less than $10.00 total for everything. Again this will cover several meals.

I just applied for a job as a receptionist for a animal clinic its a bit more of a drive than I wanted but hopefully will work out, they did not list how much it paid so we'll see. They ask you to call in and answer several questions and then email your resume.. a bit different than normal. I hope I get it and that it works out as I love animals and love people.

I am washing clothes this morning will hang outside again today. I hung clothes out yesterday and Friday weather has been hot hot hot!

Anna
Old 08-05-2018, 08:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We had a wonderful time in Colonial Williamsburg, VA and will be going back over school break. Learned that is takes a good 2 days to see everything if you want to partake in the interactive activities. A lot isn't scooter or wheelchair accessible as it is built for 1700's.

Frugal was bringing snacks & drinks from home for the hotels and car. Looking the website over I saw that they give 50% discount to military active & not so I pulled DH's DD214 out of the safe and took with us. Used the free parking lot with free bus service to get to around the town saving us $$ on parking and energy for walking when needed. There is a Kmart in Williamsburg which we don't have in our area anymore so we stopped for water to take with us the 2nd day and did some shopping. DH found some clothes he needed, dd2 left her underwear on the bed so we picked up a pack for her and some other items. Used my ShopyourWay Sears/Kmart rewards card earned $22 in rewards plus a $12 Kmart card. So we went back before leaving on Monday to use the $12 card since I couldn't use it at home and $22 in rewards .

Had breakfast one day at IHOP and used a $25 card that I have been carrying for 2 yrs, LOL, we don't have one of those either near us. I had been given the card when my Dad died to help with expenses on that trip. Filled up at Shell to use the $25 card I got with C/C rewards.

Did some school clothes shopping for DD2 when we got back mostly tops will pick up pants when the weather gets cooler as they still fit.

I know why I can't work full-time, 12 medical appts so far in Aug, 8 in July, 9 in June, and 6 in May. CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thankfully they aren't all mine.

Roberta

Old 08-05-2018, 08:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Anna wishing you all the best on the job hunt. You know all the frugal trips and I think things will be fine.
Roberta I love historical places. So interesting and fun. Our local (10 minutes away ) Kmart closed but there is one that is in another town about 20 minutes away. I have been going there to use my points. It really helps with this and that that we need.
The usual things here. I have been much better at cooking lately. More scratch and make my own mixes. Getting out of my funk.
I have 3 doctor appointments this month and then 2 next month.
Well just thought I would throw in my two cents.
Have a great day.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 08-05-2018, 08:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I forgot to say hello butterfly. Great to see your post.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills

Closed Thread