Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 05:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Anna, Glad to hear your SIL is cancer free! I guess I'm going to be nosey and ask if they have decided to stay together or are they still getting a divorce?

I'll add your friend Paul to my prayers.

Glad to hear that the mail room job has worked out, I hope you like it.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:13 AM
Nine Year Member

Wow for some reason I have not gotten notices for the past week on any FC forum.

Anna can you gently inquire if they have applied for cash assistance, SNAP, HEAP, medical, and know where their local food pantries are to help them out? The church office might know of other local assistance for his area.

Congrats on the new job.

I've been doing a lot of stocking up on items that I don't normally purchase but treats for the family at really great prices. So hiding some for later consumption.

With larger volume purchases with back to school and big TP packages I've used 4 large shopping bags as trash bags.

Picked up a 15 lbs Brisket for $1.99lb cooked and froze 3/4's of it for later meals.

I've been picking up personal care items mostly for free with sale, coupons, cash back/rebates that I will use to make up gift baskets for Purrs' quarter auction in Oct.

Roberta
Old 08-29-2018, 06:14 AM

LaurieS

Oh yes they are definitely getting a divorce, she has totally went off the hook. He sent me a video a few days ago, she was narrating it.. 2 young boys and my grandson Alex who is soon to be 16 all 3 smoking pot and her asking one of the boys for a "hit" off his bong. OMG!! She was talking in slang language with them. I do not know what has happened to her other than he said she stopped taking her Bipolar meds in February said she didn't need them anymore. I haven't talked to her in months and have no intention on it. The house is in his name and they just bought it about 4 years ago? so since he filed on grounds of cheating she will loose her share of it from what he says and will be homeless. Not coming here that is for sure, no drugs no alcohol in this house. The video has been turned over to children services. It disgusted me to see those young boys and her smoking just like it was the normal thing to do.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:29 AM

My new job was very short lived. I loved the office, the employees, my job what they neglected to tell me in my interview and hiring process was that the "free parking" was a open lot several streets away from the job site and that I would have to walk to get there. While during the cool seasons spring and fall that would be o.k. I am not up for walking to work in 90 degree weather or in the rain, snow and on icy sidewalks. I did not find out till after my "Onboarding" when they handed me my employee folder that I would not be parking in the attached garage to their building. I didn't say much that day till I talked to David he said absolutely no way ask if they can get you a employee discount for the garage. So I emailed the HR person Monday evening and yesterday morning she emailed that she was going to check on it. I hadn't heard by the time I got there at 1pm so I emailed her again. I finally had to hunt her down at about 4pm she said that they only had a certain amount of parking spaces and they were "maxed out". I told her that unfortunately I would have to resign if they couldn't get me a discount. So long story short they were not able to accomodate my request and I did quit. I am so disappointed but I have been down this road before working downtown and having to crawl across a iced sidewalk to a taxi to get the rest of the way to work and that was when I was in my 20's. I can not risk getting hurt now that I am older we do not have anyone to take care of the house the dogs etc. if I get hurt. David uses a cane all the time now and can not go up and down the stairs. Plus leaving my brand new car in a unattended parking lot. So we are o.k. we have food, we still have money put back have not touched it at all and we'll be fine till I find what I need. God is good to us and working is just extra money coming in so we will be fine.. the food pantries I go to is free to anyone who needs it, this is for produce and breads only but we don't eat much meet so that helps a lot. Today one of the pantries from 2pm to 4pm is giving out large amounts of produce, last week I saw them literally throw away at least (6 )50 lb. bags of carrots after it was over. Same with the other place a whole huge crate of peaches was thrown away at the end of the day. I would guess close to 500 or more lbs. of peaches that didn't get taken. So I am canning everything we don't eat right away.

Forgot to mention that parking garage was $12 for 4 hours or $160 a month.

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 08-29-2018 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:17 AM
Nine Year Member

Wow Anna. Paying for parking like that is outrageous. You will find a job and we all know you will be o k. You could write a book on being frugal with your frugal skills.

All the usuals here. Couponing when it is practical and watching sales, etc.

Thought I would drop in and add my two cents.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 08-29-2018, 12:34 PM
Nine Year Member

OMG Anna, could the pantries not donate the leftover food to a soup kitchen? If I was running a soup kitchen I would make sure I had someone there at 4:15 to collect any leftovers.

Fixed my dishwasher today with the help of the repair service line. It is still covered over with the extended warranty but they have you check things prior to scheduling the call. And as soon as she mentioned the float I knew that was the problem and found a piece of potatoe stuck under it keeping it up in the "no-fill" position.

Second day I've brought home free fresh picked green beans (by me) from a clients house. She said she was done with them and to take them home.

Roberta
Old 08-31-2018, 08:07 PM

Yes in 1998 I worked for the Credit Bureau downtown and the reason I quit is as a court reporter I had to either walk 3 miles a day to each of the courts or drive. It cost me $140 a month for parking back then.

Just got message from my son in law my daughter was arrested last night for Felony 2 Corruption of Drugs on Another. She'll be in jail till Tuesday.

Anna
Old 09-01-2018, 03:15 PM

Roberta

They pantries here don't seem to coordinate well that I can see.. they do have a computer that connects with others so people aren't going from one pantry to another. The one we go to most is for anyone in our county for the produce only, the other is certain zip codes.

I have been teaching Brandy how to "can" last night she made apple butter but was frustrated because the lids weren't sealing. When I drove over to see what she was doing, she was using lids from candle jars (Joann's Michaels) they do not work for canning, there is no pop up tab in the center. I had taken some lids with me so she re bathed them and they sealed fine, she went on to make peach jam last night. Brandy is the young girl who stayed with us several years ago, she's all grown up now with a 5 month old baby boy.

I will be going to this one thing they do Roberta it's only every other week where they give out bulk produce.. I don't know what it is or how much but Brandy and I will go this week unless I have a job interview. I've sent in a resume for a doctors office.

Anna
Old 09-02-2018, 03:20 PM

Thread Closed

Septembers Thread is now open:

https://www.familycorner.com/forums/...er-2018-a.html

Anna

Closed Thread