Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > What Did You Do Frugal Today

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 05:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

What Did You Do Frugal Today - May 2018

For encouragement in frugal ways--large and small--look no further. This is where we share helpful hints for stretching our money, saving time and making sure we don't waste resources.

Remember, "frugal" does not mean "don't spend money!" It means "be wise with what you spend!"

What Did YOU Do Frugal Today?

Anna

Old 05-04-2018, 05:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Took dd1 out for her birthday, bought gift card at Kroger for 4x gas points.

I'm looking into these to sites that buy gently used clothing and books. I've ordered a free thredup bag for the clothes I want to send in.

https://www.thredup.com/

https://bookscouter.com/

Roberta

Old 05-04-2018, 05:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Thanks for opening the new thread.
I'm curios to hear how things go with thread up. I've got clothes that are almost new. Please keep us posted.
I'm doing my usual frugals...I do a lot of scratch cooking and baking....I don't work so I have some time. I just have to take several breaks.
I'm still using coupons...not as much as before but I can't pass a digital storecoupon backed up with my paper couponon an item that is on sale for something I use.
Rambling....
Have a frugal weekend.

l

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 05-06-2018, 01:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Ok...so two days have passed and no One has posted.hoping all are well.

We've been eating from the freezer and cabinets.....I have ffuncreating meals

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 05-06-2018, 08:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I've gotten 2 weeks of trash in large store bags so saved a little on trash bags.

DD1 and I were checking out the 50% off lowest price on clothing/shoes, etc at Kroger Marketplace when an employee gave us a 20% off coupon so we really started looking! Saved 60% off full retail price.

Roberta

Old 05-07-2018, 09:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Well, ladies, I am sore! I hiked a Thousand Steps on Sunday and then rode my bicycle into work this morning, what thighs? complain much to me? Ha Ha!

Good to know about Thred Up that they will send a free donation bag, I really like online exchanges.

Our meals lately have been mostly salads, the weather is finally spring here!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 05-08-2018, 06:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi girls, hope you all are doing good.

Roberta, thanks for starting May's thread. Sounds like you are still great at getting good deals and saving money.

Laurie, I think cooking what you already have on hand is probably the best way to be frugal.

Ellen, congrats on the weight loss and all the exercise you've been getting. I bet even though your sore you are feeling good about such positive things happening.

There's not much new going on with me. I probably stay home on average 5 days a week. I do lots of cooking and try to use up leftovers but I do spend more than I should when I do go to the grocery store. There was a discount grocery store that went in the town I shop in so I have been going there some. From what I can tell several things there are a little cheaper and a few things are a lot cheaper but the selection is very small. I don't know for sure if I mentioned it or not but dh got a new to us used truck so we have a very big payment on it each month . It's put a major change in our budget so I'm trying to juggle it all. Anyway, just wanted to check in and let you know I was thinking about everyone. Have a good night.
Jean
Old 05-08-2018, 08:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Frugal around here is doing my own cooking, cleaning, bookkeeping & taking care of my flowers & bushes each day. This would all cost a lot if I had to hire someone. Went to the doctors with ds today to see what they can do to get ds things he needs for his prosthetic leg. Hopefully they can get everything straightened out before his leg get sorer. It takes a lot of my time taking care of everyone everyday plus myself. Seems like the days are going by faster with the new time change. Still eating my Moringa to give me an extra vitamin boost.

Cut the top lower on my older Papaya tree that wasn't doing to good after the frost. Hit some harder wood that looked healthier. It deserves to be helped to grow again. It had served me well for over three years. A couple of weeks should tell. Trying to teach ds what to do so he will be able to carry on when I can't.
Lauri, Funny how we came from the same area in New Jersey. Was time to move on when dh retired. Was a good move for us living is cheaper here.
______
Sueanne

Old 05-09-2018, 08:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi everyone, hope you all had a good day.

Susanne, you are right it would cost a lot of money if you hired someone to do all the jobs you do for your family. They are blessed to have you.

Norma, where are you? How are you doing?

Frugal has been staying home the past 3 days and eating from home. Today I vacuumed, cooked and washed 2 loads of laundry. I fixed corn, potatoes and pork chops for supper and made cherry cobbler for dessert. Dh mowed the yard and then went to take care of things for my fil. He goes every day to do things because fil hasn't been able to since having a bad injury on a four wheeler. Hope you all have a peaceful night.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Great to hear from you Jean!

I havenít been all that frugal what with the new food plan, lots of fresh/frozen fruit and frozen and fresh veggies, but it is worth it to see the pounds come off.

At least the exercise on the bike is sort of frugal? The clothes and lights for safety did cost over $300 though and a gym membership would be cheaper? I still have my bus pass but a years worth there $15 x 12 = $180 ? Probably good to keep that for winter days when riding a bike is not recommended.

I do keep packing my breakfast and lunch and I know that is frugal! And heating season is over...and we keep collecting wood for next year so that helps.

Like you Sueanne, we do all our own lawn care and gardens and that saves a bundle over hiring out.

I bought two hula hoops and can finally do more than one hula circle, lol, I can do maybe three...still working to get that waistline back!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."

Closed Thread