Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 06:11 AM
Nine Year Member

When I was working at the appliance repair shop we had lots of calls on the ice in the door frigs as the chipped ice would melt & refreeze blocking the shoot.

I picked up 6 extra hrs this weekend which will help with the 15 hrs I lost the week before being sick.

Tonight is my vendor group's 21st quarter auction of the year, and last until August when we start back up again for fall with 8 on the books already.

Roberta
Old 05-21-2018, 06:14 PM
Nine Year Member

Went grocery shopping at Publix today. Saved $57.91 on sale items. Love the b1g1 sale have a little of everything to get me going for a couple of weeks. Hate putting everything away. Glad we have been missing the heavy rain in my area. Been cooking the frozen pizza in the convection toaster oven with the pizza setting. Glad I had a square pan that fits the square pizza. Think I like it better no turning to cook even. Been cleaning out closets and book cases to make more room. Try not to look twice after I box books away. Funny how you hate to get rid of certain ones. Remember how excited you were when you bought them. Amazing how healthy herb plants are and how they were used many years ago in place of medicines. Anxious to start replacing some of mine that didn't come back yet.
________
Sueanne

Old 05-21-2018, 06:53 PM

We don't seem to have buy one get one free too often here. They had it on pork loins this weekend but they were marked way up and ended up costing what they would be if not on sale.

Not much more going on.. getting used to the new washer. I do not like that it doesn't turn off when it's done unless you turn it off when the wash cycle is over. I don't see anything in the manual about it so far.

Back to work week I have one co worker who is a major thorn in my side, she's just wicked mean. She jumped on me first thing this morning.. I cut her short and told her "Let **** tell me what I did wrong" the ** is our supervisor. Its hard when there are only 5 employees including the owner.

Ellen.. it's really great that you are riding your bike to work. I haven't rode my bike in years. I bought it and a month later got Cocoa and we for couple years walked 2 X a day but she has arthritis now and can only walk about 3 blocks and it hurts her. She's on pain meds with anti inflamatory in them she loves to walk so much it is sad to see her suffer through the pain to do what she loves. Sugar is not a good walker, Ruby is good. Bailey is another who is not very good at walking. Ruby is so short she too can't go more than a few blocks.

I hope you all will have a good week. I am so looking forward to the holiday weekend. We will be home most of it, have to go to the cemetary on Sunday.. we like to have the flowers out before Memorial Day.

Anna
Old 05-21-2018, 11:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi girls, hope your week is starting off good.

Roberta, those extra hours will come in handy.

Susanne, do you think the blow dryer fixed the ice problem? Good going on the grocery savings.

Anna, I hope as you get more used to the washer you'll like it better. It's one of the most used and needed appliances that's for sure.

We've been getting buckets of rain. The grass is growing so fast. Frugal today was the usuals of staying home, eating from what we already have, packing dh's lunch and washing clothes in cold water. Have a good night.
Jean
Old 05-23-2018, 07:47 AM
Nine Year Member

waving hello to everyone, alive and well here, just super busy at work and at home with planting the garden, reading all the posts and will catch up later

next week starts my Great Cycle Challenge riding, 200 miles for the month of June, there is a benefit page if you want to donate to kids cancer, just google Great Cycle Challenge and I am in there somewhere!

https://greatcyclechallenge.com/Riders/EllenBingham

maybe here ?

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 05-24-2018, 07:28 AM
Nine Year Member

I saw Norma over on another blog site…was good to hear from her…glad she is okay…miss her on here though!

Anna, so right, finding a job is tough, especially if you have experience (!), if she is in Florida she is in an area where there are many people of retirement age or almost competing for the few jobs there are…I wonder though, she is good with computer work, she might find a work at home thing for a company, bookkeeping or billing or something maybe…it would save on gas.

I think your job, while with challenges, is really interesting! That kind of toilet is called a bidet, pretty funny on the water bill! It would have flooded our house as it would have backed up our septic tank and what a mess that would have been! If you remember I used to have one graduate student who was a real patoot too. After she left everyone would remark on it, and I had thought I was the only target. It helped me to know, even after the fact, that she was that way to everyone and not just me.

Too bad about the old washing machine, but I do have to say, over ten years ago we got a front loader washer and dryer and it not only saved on our water bill, the clothes got cleaner too. I love it. Just can’t felt any hats or mitts in it, have to go to my neighbor’s top loader to do that. When I go down to get the clothes out, I unplug it (or press the off button) then as we don’t have a whole house surge protector. Don’t want lightening to fry the electronics all appliances now seem to have.

I think $25 is excellent for a yard job, here it would be $$$, lawn care outfits come to the house across the street, three or four people, two on standing mowers and one with a trimmer and one with a blower, they are done the half-acre plus lot in ten minutes. Loud and Fast.

On Excel, it can be really friendly, just keep poking around the ribbon drop downs when you have time and you will discover a whole lot of shortcuts too. I lost your email but there is a list of excel shortcuts I can scan and send to you, or I will try to find a link and post it here.

Dust off that old bike and take a leisurely stroll ride around the block! I don’t ride for speed. All these racing bikes pass me and I just pedal along with my heavy bike, slow pedaling, upright handlebars, flashing lights, and yellow shirt.

Four dogs! And I thought we were nuts with 7 chickens…we don’t have to walk them! Four dogs! God Bless You Anna! My friend has a dog stroller for one of hers, a pug. You would need a dog van to walk all your dogs!

Jean, I am getting stronger on the bike, yesterday I did an extra mile to and from work and while today am a little wobbly, I can still walk! Will try to ride home today, got a lift in to work from dh who had to get new trailer tires so he hauled me and my bike in to work in luxury, I even got to wear a skirt to work (will bike home discreetly on the back roads LOL !)

Nice shopping on that Midnight Madness Sale! Haven’t seen anything like that here for a while. The ‘usual frugals’ really do make a difference!

Yep, Memorial Day weekend is coming fast, I should have dh pick up a watermelon too. Sales will be on so pay attention to the local sales! My daughter hopes to buy a queen sized mattress for their new bed frame. If they do, then both my husband and I can visit at the same time as daughter and her husband have been sleeping on the double sized guest bed. I don’t mind visiting and sleeping on the camping mats, but she didn’t want both of us to do that at the same time….kids! They don’t know how tough us old folk can really be!

Roberta, again you have amazed me with your skill set! I would only think about replacing a dryer belt but you give me courage to continue. I did trouble shoot a dishwasher arm that was clogged with plastic bits from using those pods. Nice on the meatballs! My mom used to do that with chickens, she would save the cooked chicken in disposable roasting pans with some of the au jus/gravy. Really handy. Hope you got your nap!

Sueanne, like Roberta you are very handy! I am reminded of that useful saying “Necessity is the mother of invention” ! With summer coming on strong you are very glad the ice maker got working again! I need to go through my books again too, have accumulated two bookshelves of cookbooks and really need to decide which I want to keep or not. It is hard to part with old ‘friends’.

Lauri, were you able to get electricity back and get over to that KMart sale? I hope so!

I’ve been thinking about others on here that I have missed and probably now have gone over to Facebook…hope they come back, too!

Last edited by ellenmelon; 05-24-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:30 AM
Nine Year Member

I spent 6 hrs over the last 2 days sprucing up the property. Weed whacked, cut down weed shrubs & wild roses, pulled some "junk" to the curb, made sure the Utilities had access to read the meters and mowed. Half of the "junk" is gone.

After 2 yrs of borrowing cars off of family we have a car of our own. We originally had planned on buying a used car but they wouldn't deal so DH said okay then and we left. We bought a 2018 Encore SUV now instead of in 6-9 months which was what the plan was. We got a good deal on the car BUT bought the extra warranties so the price was back up. Working with the insurance company on what discounts we can get now besides the multiple car discount plus home.

I'm going to a class/meeting on Medicare at the YWCA tonight to learn more/understand what benefits DH is able to receive.

Roberta
Old 05-24-2018, 07:43 PM
Nine Year Member

Been outside every morning too getting things done while it is cooler in the morning. Sharpened my bow saw with a file so the teeth are sharper to cut the dead branches around flowering bushes & trees. Cut like butter when sharp. Use the sticks to support other new fruit trees & tomato plants. Have a lawn man that cuts just when needed not every week who is my neighbors nephew so doesn't over mow and only charges $15 each cut. Like to do my own weed wacking around the fruit trees. See little Moringa trees coming up from their flower seeds so have to be careful. Cut back the grape vine and used the chopped cutting as mulch around the other trees for nourishment.
Had a nice cup of olive leaf tea today was very relaxing. Trying to dry out the olive branches outside in the sun to dry. Find being outside is like meditating very relaxing since you sweat out the poisons in your body. My arms are looking stronger too building back muscle tone. Should start raining again by the weekend everything is so green.
_______
Sueanne

Old 05-25-2018, 09:58 AM
Nine Year Member

Oh Roberta, those extra warranties! Put the schedule on your calendar so you can make best use of them! Too easy for all those oil changes, and car cleanings, and tire rotations to slip away, time passes so quickly! And congratulations on a NEW CAR! An SUV is so practical! I miss ours. WE have a big SUV but it is not handy for quick trips and small errands. A sedan, well at least it has fold down seats in the back for the longer items.

It does feel good to get the yard cleaned up! You have had some long and difficult years and I am glad things are turning easier for you now. Such a trooper! God Bless You Roberta!

Sueanne, yardwork is in order for us too. Last night I helped my husband split a cord plus of wood and tonight we will stack it up. This wood was from a tree limbing from storm damage. We probably have about $180 worth of wood, but the tree company charged us 10x that to limb our three huge mature 60 foot willows and maples. So the new stack is sort of a silver lining at least. This wood we split small and will use in campfires and fireplace, enough for years to come! Must use the punky stuff first, so tonight, another campfire!

All the trees I have planted are in the 20 foot range so I can tend them myself. These three that need so much work came with the house. We got a log splitter this spring. I think the trees will continue to Ďdonateí their limbs so perhaps a shredder is the next big yard item to get, and make our own mulch.

I sometimes think of your yard as a Garden of Eden (or Eatiní!). I liked hearing about your olive leaf tea, didnít know you had olives too! I wondered about starting a fig and kiwi tree in my yard next. Grapes have taken hold so hopefully we can get some posts in for support this weekend.

Yep, just like you and Roberta, more yard work, and some cleaning out in the basement. I might try to finagle a shelf for downstairs and get all the shop hardware organized. DH hates the upset that reorganization brings so Iíll try to get set up to do it next weekend when he is away. I revel in organizing, he quivers.

We are to get some rain, so it will be good for putting seeds in the gardens too. Well, work day is almost done and I am off home for an early start to the weekend. Happy Memorial Day and see you all Tuesday when I can check back in.

Happy Memorial Day Everyone!

Old 05-25-2018, 06:25 PM
Nine Year Member

It's so nice to See so many posts.yay
I have so much to say and will forget half.
Congrats on the car Roberta. I'm so happy for you.
Anna we got a front loader several years ago and I do like it. We have a well so I couldn't help you monetary savings.
Ellen the power was out 2 1/2 days. The generator we have powered my oxygen concentrator and the fridge.i was worried about the chest freezer. No water stinks.anyway...icouldbreath. way to go onridingthat bike.
Jeanie always love reading your posts.
I'm still doing all my frugal stuff. I still clip orfindthemonthe internet and match with sales and digital coupons. I'm always looking for freebies. The price of gas is disgusting.
Anyhow...I am rambling.....

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills

Closed Thread