Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 09:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi everyone, hope your week is off to a good start.

Lauri, hope you had a good mother's day yesterday.

Ellen, that was a nice gift your dd's got you especially with the fitness journey your on.

Susanne, I hope those tree thrive and produce lots of future fruit.

Frugal for me has been staying home the last four days and eating from what we have. Work did provide dh with one free meal a few days ago. My other frugals are using cold water with my 2 loads of laundry and turning the stove off a little while before the bread was done. I knew it would finish baking because of how long the stove stays hot. I figure saving a few minutes here and there adds up over time with the electric bill. I had a nice mother's day. Both boys and my dil came over and ate with us. Yds and dil brought me a pretty card and hanging flower basket and ods brought me 2 kinds of candy. I don't get to see any of them often and miss them a lot. The weather is very humid and hot here. Spring went right into summer early. Have a good night.
Jean
Old 05-15-2018, 04:33 AM
Nine Year Member

The mower gave up this past weekend so I had to buy a new one Sunday. It's weird, no oil changes, no priming. I was told by step-dad that I wasn't getting any younger and needed to get a self-propelled. I was told to save the wheels off the old mower so once those are off I will drag it to the street.

I was sick all weekend, lost out on 15 hrs of work so will tighten the belt that has been loosened with DH's checks coming.

Roberta
Old 05-16-2018, 10:58 AM
Nine Year Member

Wow, a mower that doesn't need attention!

I planted flowers yesterday, the hummingbirds and orioles and finches gave them the eye over when they flew to the hummingbird feeder.

Frugal is still packing lunch and still riding my bicycle. Need to return some things to Kohl's before I pay the bill.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 05-16-2018, 04:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi everyone.

Roberta, dh likes a self propelled mower better. I hope yours lasts a long time and I hope your feeling better.

Ellen, I love seeing the hummingbirds visit the flowers. I need to plant flowers in my planters.

Finally got out of the house for a short while yesterday evening. Dh and I went to Arbys to eat a bite. I did have a dollar coupon so it wasn't too big of an expense. Frugal today has been staying home and having all meals from home. Dh stopped on his way to work and picked up meds at the pharmacy so that was money spent. I've cooked , packed dh's lunch, started loading the dishwasher and washed a lot of dishes by hand. I balanced the check book andI rolled up what change I could. I still say saving change is the easiest way to save money. Have a good evening.
Jean
Old 05-17-2018, 06:42 AM
Nine Year Member

I think for me the best way to save money is to not shop online, especially with Amazon. If I have to get in the car, go to a store, and shop, it is a big deterrent to what I think I "need"!

Old 05-18-2018, 05:55 AM
Nine Year Member

sort of quiet on here, anyone know what is happening with Norma? I get worried when she is gone for more than a week or two!

My frugal today? you guessed it, packed yet another lunch, this time I tossed in a can of chicken as the lunch offering was only a couple apples.

I rode another way to work today, an extra mile on a back road that was quite nice, not much traffic. And boy am I slow! I was passed by a neighbor and working friend, when she asked me how I was doing, I could only reply...slow and steady my friend slow and steady! If we were on a track she would have lapped me five times by now!

A real good frugal was fixing my first flat tire, actually I held the you tube video on my ipad while my husband figured out how to remount the disc brake on the back. But it saved us $$$ and time as it got me back on the road within 36 hours. Had I taken it to the Bike Shop to get it fixed it might have been days and mega bucks. The cost of the inner tube which I already purchased and had waiting for just such an event. I have now nicknamed him Road Crew Stew.

Last edited by ellenmelon; 05-18-2018 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:35 PM

Ellen

Norma is good she's on my FB page. She's trying to find a job and not much going on right now for her. Its hard as we get older trying to find and keep a job. I am in to my 5th month working for the property management company boy the things I deal with this week we discovered one of our tenants who is foreign created his own french toilet I forget what it's called but it splashes water on your behind. He took a water hose hooked it to his toilet handle somehow and it would splash your behind. Well we've been wondering why his water bills were so much higher.. the downside is water was continually running with the water hose in the toilet. LOL! I have to play "tenant whisperer" almost daily with tenants fighting with each other over parking spaces, trash cans, loud noises, etc. I've learned a whole lot of new skills and finally being forced to learn Excel Spreadsheet, hate it.

Jean...

I don't know how my sil is doing my daughter is mad for us taking his side and unfriended me on Facebook. I am just letting it go Rick knows if he needs us all he has to do is text.

My washing machine of 20 plus years finally bit the dust last weekend.. Sears Kenmore. I was downstairs folding clothes while it filled up with clothes noticed water pouring out the bottom of it and it didn't fill all the way up so it's time was up. I bought a Maytag at Lowes and it will be delivered tomorrow evening, sure hope it works in my old house. It should save me on water and energy efficiency but doubt it'll come anywhere close to lasting as long as the old one.

I am in my second year now of hiring someone to do our yard work, they mow and weed whack every week for $25 a trip. With both of us working 40 hour weeks and running errands on Saturday, church on Sunday we just don't have time or energy to do yard work.

Well gang I'm off to bed. I am thinking of all of you.

Roberta

Thank you for opening the May thread.

Anna
Old 05-18-2018, 10:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi everyone.

Ellen, I'm very impressed with all the biking your doing. Bringing your lunch to work is a huge savings. I do the same with dh's lunch.

Anna, it's good to hear from you. Sounds like your very busy these days. Sorry about your washing machine. Hopefully, the new one will last a long time. My machine is a maytag and I've been using it for over 26 years so for. Thanks for the update on Norma. I hope she starts posting again.

Frugal today was all meals from home. I did some grocery shopping and was able to score a few good deals at my local store's midnight madness sale. The stores were crowded today. I hope everyone has a good weekend and that more of you start posting again.
Jean
Old 05-19-2018, 03:09 AM
Nine Year Member

My Amana dryer is 35 yrs old, so far only had to replace a belt 20 yrs ago. Learned not to dry the tennis shoes in the dryer as one shoe got stuck between the back & drum stopping it from turning and burnt the belt.

I bought 5 1lb packs of cheese stuffed Italian turkey meatballs on clearance this week. Cooked them up and put them in the freezer, 2 lbs are frozen in sauce.

I was sick last weekend so the pay check will be really short.

Off to work, hopefully client will sleep till 9 or so and I will get a nap in.

Roberta
Old 05-20-2018, 09:24 PM
Nine Year Member

My ice maker in my freezer stopped working checked to see if everything was lined up right with the tray. Seemed it was frozen inside and would not lift the ice cubes out. Used my hair dryer blowing on the tray to unlock the ice cubes. Glad it started working again.
_________
Sueanne

Closed Thread