Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 07:23 PM

What Did You Do Frugal Today~June 2018

For encouragement in frugal ways--large and small--look no further. This is where we share helpful hints for stretching our money, saving time and making sure we don't waste resources.

Remember, "frugal" does not mean "don't spend money!" It means "be wise with what you spend!"

What Did YOU Do Frugal Today?

Anna
Old 06-02-2018, 05:47 PM

Good Evening Everyone

I as usual have not been on here as often as I should be.

Norma got a new job Praise the Lord.. it's a office job. I just found out last night, she isn't as chatty on FB as on here in the past.

LaurieS was on my FB page but I recently discovered she unfriended me, not sure why and with as much drama as I have with my job I don't want to borrow anymore so will just let it be. Makes me sad we've been friends for a very long time.

I hung 4 loads of clothes outside today quite a accomplishment with rain and the lawn guy saying he was coming and a wasted day when he doesn't show up.. he finally did come on Monday this week.

I work with a bully and its been really hard.. I had put on my FB last week that she was stressing me out did not mention her by name nor is my company name on my page. She told my co workers and owner that I had posted it and then when I got there when no one was looking she shoved me "by accident". The owner talked to her and this past week was better. I've never had to deal with a adult bully before so not sure what to do, hopefully we've turned a page. The owners wife said she thinks this girl has the kind of personality she has to be "reminded" to behave. I heard she almost got in a fist fight with a former employee. I pray daily for peace.

Roberta

Congrats on the new car.. we are leasing a new car again next month, my lease is up on my 2015 Honda Civic Hybrid. I will miss it a lot but don't want to buy a car till we get closer to retirement and the Hybrid eventually that battery bank will need replaced I hear they are now over $2000 to replace. So we are not getting a hybrid this time plan to get a Civic Hatchback. David's SUV will be due to turn in next May I think we will most likely get another one but maybe a smaller one.

My diabetic numbers continue to climb and the doctor wants me to go on insulin.. with the high cost of insulin and the fear of losing our insurance if dh got laid off I am very reluctant to go that route so we are going on a serious diet. So I am starting to count the sugar grams.. Sueanne I know that you are very updated on this so any advice you can I will welcome. I have to be careful Metformin makes me have very bad diarrhea if I eat anything with fibre which creates a problem at work. I was eating 2 bananas at work one in the morning, one in the afternoon which was filling had no idea how high they are in sugar. I am trying walnuts this week along with 2 boiled eggs, 1 in the morning, one in the afternoon. I will be taking my peanut butter and jelly sandwich using my own homemade jelly (preserves) and cheese sticks as a snack. I may not eat all of it in one day but like to keep it on hand. I wish I could go do apples, carrots and celery sticks but again the fibre it goes right through me it really bites! We can't afford the higher priced diabetic meds our insurance wants us to try another expensive one before they will approve the one that worked for us Janumet. The cost after insurance is $262 a month both of us are diabetic.

So if you will pray for us that we can both get in to better eating habits.

Anna
Old 06-03-2018, 06:33 AM
Nine Year Member

I went to the grocery last night, only worked 8 1/2 hrs, with sales, coupons, rebates I saved 70%. I picked up several of the 1 day sales that were still there, always miss out on a couple as they are gone by evening. I picked up 3 4pks of Gerber Gentle ready to drink formula after coupons $.99 ea. DD2 has had several girl friends recently have babies if they don't want them I will donate to the food bank.

Speedway gas stations here are converting to Speedway Cafes and the one near me is having their Grand Opening and did a mailing of $5 off your Cafe purchase. I was able to get a foot long sub, large frozen lemonaide for free with the grand opening sales and coupon.

Time to switch the laundry around.

Roberta
Old 06-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Nine Year Member

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
Went to Publix today was able to pick a lot of b1g1 savings plus sales totaling $61.81 savings. Glad I had room in the freezer for four Pizza's with everything on it for dinner tonight b1g1. The chicken fillets were b1g1 too. Olive oil was b1g1. Bought Hallmark Birthday cards b1g1 for Sister & Brother! Always go with a list so was ready to shop!
________
Sueanne
[/FONTg1 bargains]

Old 06-04-2018, 06:16 AM
Nine Year Member

Lauri, ramble on, the price of gas is ‘disgusting’, good word for it…

Roberta, funny how you tighten the belt, no more takeout is right for us, too!

Jean, riding a bicycle when it is hot out is like sitting in front of a huge fan, it is very nice! I do try to ride in the cool mornings though, and have bike shorts and sleeveless for the afternoons.

Sueanne, on the green papaya, do you ever shred it and make that Thai green papaya salad? It is a favorite of mine. I also shopped with a list and my grocery bill was half what is has been!

Anna, I am sorry for the workplace bully, tis a shame, and be sure to file charges if she touches you again, warn her ahead of time that you will 'not be touched, even by accident’. And then follow through with filing charges or it will be an idle warning and it will only get worse, but it has to stop, she has to stop. If she already has a complaint against her, a second incident gets stronger response by authorities. I am surprised the owner hasn’t taken stronger action but I suppose they have to be careful about lawsuits. Tis a shame for sure. Praying for your protection.

And I will put in a plug for Weight Watchers which has the support of the American Diabetes Association. I was pre-diabetic and it runs in my family which is why I have been doing WW and exercise (bicycling). I have also heard that free apps like MyFitnessPal, LoseIt!, and Spark People is also very good and similar to WW. https://www.healthline.com/health/di...e-android-apps

I have news about my sister who is battling Acute Myeloid Leukemia. There is still hope for a bone marrow transplant. She is undergoing a few months of non-cytotoxic regimens to give her a break from the chemo rounds. She will do this to get her blast counts down. It might even put her in remission which they need for the BMT. They have her on multiple anti-biotics to fight a 4 am recurring fever. She is still in the hospital. She has mouth sores and communicates with texting. How hard! I will also post this on Prayer Corner. Thank you in advance for keeping her in your thoughts, prayers, and intentions!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."

Last edited by ellenmelon; 06-04-2018 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:38 PM
Nine Year Member

Hired a roofer weather permitting will start on the 15th. Saved $500 with a coupon too!!! When the roof is done will contact a friend that does drywall to have him fix the ceiling & wall when he has a slow period. Win Win for both I save money and he makes money.

Received 1 tree removal estimate, ouch will try to get the scrub trees myself while awaiting on call backs from the other 2 companies I called. DD1 has a new friend that might be interested in some of the wood along with his friends so the easier trees might get done a lot cheaper.

Roberta
Old 06-09-2018, 07:50 PM
Nine Year Member

Did a little bush trimming & weed cutting today in my flower beds. If I didn't Have the edging stones he would have to mow himself around everything. Hate to spend double every time he cuts the lawn so do a little my self. Was nice in the morning with a breeze so started right away. The rain is making everything grow so fast. Will put the savings into extra mulch to keep it covered for a while. Been picking figs on both my trees already so good!
_________
Sueanne

Old 06-12-2018, 04:56 PM

Thanks Ellen just so weird to have a bully in the work place such a evil person. No more problems like that so far just mouthy. We have cameras everywhere but not in the conference room or our small kitchen area.

So I've been on the diet for a little over a week and have lost 7 lbs. so far. I started the apple cider vinegar diet 3 days ago, ugh that is some nasty stuff. David has been doing it a month and his numbers have went down still no where close to where they need to be but going down. He's also taking a cinnamon pill daily I've tried but they don't settle on my stomach very good. The apple cider vinegar I take half a shot glass each morning then immediately rinse with mouthwash, works great to get that nasty taste out of my mouth.

Ellen..

We had a co worker years ago that had blood leukemia we thought he was going to die, he retired and lived many years afterward. So praying your sister finds a cure and is blessed with many years too.

Frugal is dieting we are eating less food which will be less money spent on groceries. I made tuna casserole Sunday, we had some for dinner last night small amount and froze the rest for next week for a meal. Tonight was a salad with cooked chicken that I had made last week, had 2 dinners of salad with chicken and froze the rest. We will have it again Thursday night, not bad for a $4.00 bag of chicken. It was thigh and leg 10 lb. bag for $4.00 something I'd guess after deboning it was probably more like 5 lbs. of meat.

I hope everyone has been having a good week.

Anna
Old 06-13-2018, 06:23 AM
Nine Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenmelon View Post

Sueanne, on the green papaya, do you ever shred it and make that Thai green papaya salad? It is a favorite of mine. I also shopped with a list and my grocery bill was half what is has be.
Ellenmellon, I use it every way I can in cooking like potatoes. Turns golden around meat when cooked. Can even add it to casseroles for added nutrition. They will ripen if put in brown bags. Takes time for me at the end of the year to take some off the trees to ripen to freeze.
_______
Sueanne

Last edited by Sueanne; 06-13-2018 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi everyone.

Anna, congrats on the 7 pound loss that's really good. I was watching a video that a doctor put out and he was saying to use apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, cinnamon, a tiny amount of cayenne pepper and Stevia and mix in a glass of water for a healthy drink to detox the body. I'm going to buy me some apple cider vinegar the next time I go to walmart. I have the clear brown kind but not the cloudy looking vinegar he was showing.

Norma, congrats on the new job and I hope you post soon.

Susanne, do you have much humidity where you live? I like warmer weather but here the humidity just zaps my energy.

Roberta, sounds like your getting a lot of things accomplished around your house. Seems like a never ending job to keep a home and place going.

Ellen, sending prayers for your sister's healing. I hope things work out and she can have a successful bone marrow transplant.

Not much new to report from me. Just mostly stay home doing the usuals of cooking, laundry and a little cleaning. Washed all my laundry in cold water yesterday evening and just try to pay bills on time and stretch the payday to cover things. I feel bad physically a lot of times and just don't have the drive to do things much anymore. I need to try to eat healthier and see if I could lose weight and maybe that would help me to feel better. Still I know I have so much to be thankful for and things could be much worse. Have a good evening.
Jean

Closed Thread