Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 07:37 AM
Nine Year Member

Sueanne thanks for the info on how you clean the siding, we really need to do that.

Oh I didn't mean to give the wrong impression on our finances! DH is more than helpful! he pays for most things; I keep the records. Neither of us are at Social Security yet...he got out early as the travelling was really taking a toll on his health. The majority of the expenses are his, my contribution is to continue working for the healthcare benefit the university provides, which is very very good $140 a month for the two of us for med, dental, and eyes; and to pay the regular bills, about $1300 to $1500 a month.

tax payments and tax person billing $5K,
coats and gifts for the girls $2K,
new car last year $23K
anything I order for him online he reimburses...$300
the coal and wood bills... $600
trips including food and such...$2K
both daughter's weddings...$30K
home repairs and supplies...$2K
annual beef and pork order...$400

I also cover my personal expenses like hobbies and pedicures (most of them at least, he helps out with big ticket items like coats and boots) and the regular house bills. But now with expenses going up in household bills he is helping with those, too, that's the $400. He is putting most of his retirement into

We do try to save as much as we can for things in the future:

sewer line hook up or drain field failure and needing new drain field $20K
new SUV $25K
new camper if we can $18K
my dental expenses after I retire (was told by dentist to put aside $20K bec dental insurance plans are not great)
travelling after I retire $10K

He also got me to put aside savings in a work retirement plan...I am the one who struggles with expenses as my eyes are bigger than my wallet on many occasions...in recent years I have gotten much much much better! Now I know when I am in trouble, before I didn't pay attention!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."

Last edited by ellenmelon; 03-01-2018 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:45 PM
Nine Year Member

ellenmelon, I a glad you have Social Security to look forward to for the added income to help with your dreams for the future. So far you have both been happy doing what you do for your family so that is important. Live for now & enjoy life before you get too old. Thank you for explaining about what you wrote about.

I was was born at a different time where we spent less and lived on less
to accomplish what we wanted. We are both happy to have been able to retire in a wonderful community for adult people for the last 28 years. We have many residents 90 yrs. and older that look wonderful even at 100 yrs.like my neighbor.
________
Sueanne

Old 03-02-2018, 04:30 AM
Nine Year Member

I love that you reminded me that we need to live for now and enjoy now, Sueanne! Too often I think of planning for the future when in reality my future is at this point going to be less than all the years so far! Maybe I've got 20 more or 25-30 more years, and so I want to make the most of it.

(this next is long but it may help some of the lurkers on here, I know it helped me when another friend shared how they make ends meet on a limited income and heading into retirement)

My husband saw that many of his engineering friends would work til 65 or 68, then retire, then get sick and die. Engineering can be stressful and the toll on him with travel too was making him way too weary. He is so much happier now. He retired at age 56. The past three years were the hardest, the gap between his retirement and him waiting to take his pension which started this year.

He is building up the savings again and paying off the car. And we will be looking to replace the SUV next year, we just cannot keep up with the rust on it, and were very glad it passed inspection this year. We usually buy used, this Subaru we just got was the first new car since we both graduated college (40+ years ago!) and the first loan since we paid off the house 20 years ago! We both detest loans. I think on the Suburban it will be used again, we just cannot afford the high prices of a new SUV.

Now with the pension we are building up the soft money, savings account for those things in the future, and any immediate things like cars or home repair disasters or sewer hookups...and hopefully also treading water with my income for the daily expenses...but like I said, I tend to be too generous, and have hobbies, so now I have to pay down some credit card expenses, I am doing well on that though.

The expenses my daughter incurred on our joint card while she was travelling for her research, she is now paying down those charges, ... , light at the end of the tunnel! Sometimes it is hard for university students, as they need to charge school expenses and then wait sometimes 4 to 6 weeks for the reimbursement. We do get a good bit of points so that she can get a plane ticket home one more time than usual than if we relied on cash alone, hence why we are both on the card. We figured in the interest payments too, so that helps us budget better.

When all is said and done, I think I like working outside the home so much that even after I retire I will find something part time to do 'for the grocery money' as they say! But that is probably four years away!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."

Last edited by ellenmelon; 03-02-2018 at 04:34 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:55 AM
Nine Year Member

It has been a long time coming but DH is finally going to receive his disability settlement and monthly payments starting mid March. Now to figure out insurance for dd2 & myself as DH will be on Medicare. Will use the settlement money to get the repairs needed on the house and a car of our own first then see what is left for other things that need replaced.

Roberta
Old 03-02-2018, 08:25 AM
Nine Year Member

I am so happy to hear that Roberta.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 03-02-2018, 09:01 AM
Nine Year Member

Roberta, So happy for you both. At least there is a light at the end to look forward to now. You worked hard for your family all these years maybe you both can take a little vacation now.
_______
Sueanne

Old 03-02-2018, 12:27 PM
Nine Year Member

I wanted to share this link to 20 freezer meals that are made into individual servings. 20 Quick & Easy Make-Ahead Freezer-Friendly Dinners for Busy Moms - Money Saving Mom®

there are several I want to try very soon.

Roberta
Old 03-02-2018, 04:55 PM

Roberta

So glad to hear your husband finally got his disability it has indeed been a very long time coming.

Anna
Old 03-02-2018, 05:01 PM

Thread Is Now Closed

Feb thread is now closed please join us for March's "What did you do frugal" thread.

https://www.familycorner.com/forums/...ch-2018-a.html

Anna

Closed Thread