Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 07:21 PM

What Did You Do Frugal Today~January 2018

For encouragement in frugal ways--large and small--look no further. This is where we share helpful hints for stretching our money, saving time and making sure we don't waste resources.

Remember, "frugal" does not mean "don't spend money!" It means "be wise with what you spend!"

What Did YOU Do Frugal Today?

Anna
Old 12-31-2017, 07:33 PM

As we continue in to a new year and our frugal ways:

I was at Target yesterday they had "Christmas" flannel sheets marked down Queen size to $18.88 after discount. They were plaid blue color.. not that Christmassy that I can't use them all year round. I bought 3 sets. I also found Christian Christmas cards 70% off $3.40 a box after the discount for a box of 18 ct. so I bought 2 of those for next year.

Last year about this time I found hams marked down at Walmart for $4 something a ham, half hams with bone in. I bought several using the last one tomorrow for dinner so if you are going to Walmarts take a look in their meat section to see if they have them marked down. With all the snow and cold weather I'm not sure if I'll make it there sure wish I could.

Anna
Old 12-31-2017, 08:49 PM
Nine Year Member

It's so cold this week I'm not going any where but work and home.

DD2 has some friends spending the night and they have been watching Dick Clark's countdown making comments about the people that aren't dressed for the weather. Made me laugh, they are all such good girls. Popped a bottle of bubbly for them, caramel apple sparking juice!

Roberta
Old 01-01-2018, 06:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

subbing
Old 01-01-2018, 07:14 AM

Happy New Year!

Anna, glad things are working out for you with new job.

I am totally impressed with your new kitchen gadgets. I love mine. I think that I have all you listed already. But with everything still packed, not sure I brought all with me. I love my electric knife when carving a turkey or a ham. Never tried it with a pineapple, just never thought about it. Do you have a hand ricer - it is great for making the best mashed potatoes. I only use boiled potatoes and butter (no milk, half-and-half or cream), and they are to me, so perfect. I also put cooked sweet potatoes through the ricer - it catches any "strings" that might be in there.

The sheets sound lovely, and not "Christmasy" at all.

Roberta, so glad you had a peaceful New Year's Eve.

Not doing much today. Plans changed when Mark wanted to go to lunch at our favorite chicken place from our childhood. Did not cook supper - just had dessert - left over cherry turnovers, heated, with ice cream.

So will be cooking the Butterball boneless turkey roast today, along with mashed potatoes and succotash. And watching some college bowl games. I am also crocheting my 3rd hat which will go to the church on Saturday for the food pantry - sound familiar? Old projects, new place, I am truly a creature of habit.

Better go for now.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 01-01-2018, 07:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Norma, You inspire me to pick up my crochet hook

I've been thinking about it for days.

Happy 2018 everyone!
Old 01-03-2018, 07:33 PM
Nine Year Member

Kroger started carrying gift cards from my cell plan provider so I bought giftcards to pay Jan's bill and will now save $10 in gas with the purchase points each month in 2018.

Had a heat wave today, hit 20 instead of 1 so I did 2 loads of laundry!

Roberta
Old 01-04-2018, 08:42 AM

Good morning all!!

Laurie, haven't found anything new that I wanted to crochet, had some loose skeins in a cloth bag in the garage, so thought "why not". It has been below freezing here in FL the past 2 days, so I know they will be appreciated on Saturday when the food panty/free store is open.

Roberta, that is a great way to get double the value for your money. Not happening here, or I would do the same.

Went for an interview Tuesday afternoon, and it was a bust - a pre-interview and no callback.

Yesterday, I went to the pest control company and the woman decided that I am "recommended for hire" to the gentleman I have been stringing along on the phone. He emailed me, left his number, and I couldn't get him back. Next he emailed again, saying he wasn't available at that time, so I called and left another message. Finally got to speak with him in person and spoke with him for awhile. I was making sure to use my very best "customer service" voice. They liked it. The interview yesterday was 2 hours long. In the rain, a very cold (about to turn to sleet rain), going over a really tall bridge (it is 17 stories high above the river). And I got lost, and finally stopped at "The Women's Center" (the only business I saw), and the woman was really sweet to help me find my way.

The woman that I interviewed with said they have to send the recommendation back to the "talent advisor", and if he approves, then they will call me in for the drug testing, and put me on the schedule.

They closed the city offices yesterday here in Jacksonville, just for the day, even though today was much colder this morning. It is to get up to 45* so they should all be back to normal. There are a bunch of schools closed today also. The population here has no idea how to handle a cold snap, or possible snow threat. They are good with hurricanes though.

Better go for now.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 01-04-2018, 01:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Fingers crossed Norma!
Old 01-04-2018, 09:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi girls, happy new year to you all. I hope your year is starting off good.

Norma, I have been thinking about you when they were talking about Florida getting some bad weather. I hope things work out with a job offer from the interview.

Hi Laurie, are you getting the cold weather there?

Roberta, smart thinking on purchasing the gc.

Anna, I bet those sheets are going to feel toasty. I'd like to have some myself.

It's very cold here. We are supposed to get down to 3 tonight but with the wind chill it will feel in the negative. It snowed on and off today but didn't have a huge accumulation. My frugals have been doing a lot of cooking so having lots of leftovers to eat. I made wild rice broccoli soup today and broccoli cheese cornbread. It hit the spot on a cold day. I went to Hobby Lobby and saved almost 51 dollars with my coupon and discounts. They had their Christmas things on sale for 90% off. Used a seven dollar coupon at Walmart and have reused several pieces of aluminium foil that I saved from the holidays. I like to cover everything with foil even with a snap lid especially if I am putting things in the freezer. Washed three loads of laundry in cold water and have a few buckets of water caught up in case our water freezes. Well have a good night.
Jean

Closed Thread