Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 08:38 PM
Nine Year Member

Gave ds a hair cut today with the razor comb does a nice job thinning out the hair & shaping it. Also gave dh a manicure since he finds it hard doing it himself. His nails are real hard since he does use a lot of milk in his cereal & drinks it too. His hands looked so nice after they were trimmed. Did make a large smoothie with all the fresh fruit I had in the fridge. Was really energizing with the fresh papaya from the tree and coconut oil.
Was one of those days where you never finished doing things that took time.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi everyone, hope you all are doing good.

Susanne, sounds like you are staying very busy with taking good care of your family.

What has everyone been up to? I've been at home for the most part. Our winter has been so strange with warm weather a day or so and then snow for a while. I am trying to just be thankful for the warmer days. Where we had such cold temperatures a while back my electric bill went up right at 100 dollars more than last month. I'm not surprised but that hurt the old pocketbook. I've had a couple big insurance bills lately and money is tight. I have one bill paid and will take care of another one when dh gets paid again. Always something or another it seems. Just been trying to stay home most days, cook, eat leftovers, turn the heat down at night and leave the oven door open after I finish baking something to let the remaining heat go out in the house. Try to wash mostly in cold water. I hope more of you will start posting and sharing your frugal tips because I need to learn other ways to save. Have a good night everyone.
Jean
Old 01-26-2018, 07:22 PM
Nine Year Member

We have been having the same crazy weather, Jean. Had snow balls on Wed and today it got to 55. I will take it as the furnace hasn't rang since early morning when it was 30.

Was able to win a bid and got dd1 a "leather" futon couch/bed for $35 vs $169 new. She will pick it up on Sunday and it will give her seating in the living room.

For some reason I've started getting a lot of junk mail again so the winning company that included a pre-paid return envelope is getting some junk mail returned to them!!!!

I was able to put up some items for sale this week and if everyone does pay will bring in $20. It felt good to be able to get some things uploaded again. Will work on getting some other items posted on Monday for the coming week.

Roberta
Old 01-26-2018, 09:21 PM
Nine Year Member

Stopped today at the produce stand. His prices are about half what you would pay at Publix. Bought a large cabbage that weighed 5 pounds for only $2.50, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, cukes, apples & red peppers. Was surprised how some people only bought one of each.
________
Sueanne

Old 01-27-2018, 07:24 PM

I'm back!

Literally just got my wifi set up - all by myself too! Very proud of that. I read the directions and all!

It has been a very hectic week. Work is going well, and I even learned an alternate route to my job yesterday. My job is at the base of one of the bridges over the St. Johns River. Well there was an accident on the bridge yesterday morning. The folks traveling my way to get to the bridge were stuck, and so were those of us who cross over the highway that the bridge connects to. I was late. When I got in, my Supervisor (Debbie), told me I could have taken the back way. I told her that I knew there was one, just not sure what it was. So she told me.

I had to go to the post office yesterday afternoon to apply for the keys to my new on-campus mailbox. I took the alternate route back to the office and it might be quicker than how I am going now.

I have had to complain about certain things here at the apt. already. I missed the problem with the garbage disposal, I had no idea until I slept over here Sunday night that the toilet flap needed to be replaced, and they had not replaced the sliding lock to the patio (it has a deadbolt keylock, but the sliding lock was a secondary security device that wasn't working). All completed.

I am getting all the concepts for the job, but going home dog-dead tired each night.

Today is the first day I have seen Mark all week. He had to be in at 5:30 am and was working until 8 each night Sunday-Wednesday. He said he got home before the sun went down on Thursday and last night he was able to take his dd to dinner. But he insisted on furniture hunting today.

We had a great time.

I will pick this up in the next post.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 01-27-2018, 07:40 PM

Hi again!

Today, I took laundry over to Mark's, put the first load in, and then we got started. I had to go to a post office near his house to pick up a certified letter regarding Elwood's house.

Then as we were leaving there, I spotted a different thrift store I had noticed, but really didn't know where it was or the name, just a mental note. Well, it turned out to hold 2 dressers for me - one for the living room to hold the tv, and one for my bedroom, along with a nightstand. I asked if I bought all 3 pieces would she give me a discount. She gave me the nightstand for free. All 3 are hardwoods and look to be about 60-65 years old from the style.

After that we went to AC Moore because he wanted to get a new styrofoam cone for the grave flowers for his wife. A quick trip to Home Depot - I needed a small rake (ended up with a pooper scooper thingie too) because there is a big dog that I have not yet seen pooping on the space outside my patio. Apparently there is no pooper-scooping rule in this complex. It stinks, and I don't want to bring it in the house.

Then we came over here, and got the furniture in the right places, and Mark also installed another door lock to the front door (a hotel kind that only allows the door to come open about 2 inches) and some solar lights he was kind enough to give me to the front of the patio. Took off again - to lunch. After lunch, we went to the Xfinity store where I got the kit for the wifi.

Back to Mark's house to finish the laundry. We watched a couple of movies, and when the laundry and movies were over, I left. This is the first time I had to find my way home in the dark. And the bridge that I would have come across is closed this weekend, so I had to find an alternate route. I was able to put in an address into the gps that I could find my way home from. Mark thought that was pretty smart, especially since I have been so thoroughly confused with directions here.

I am so tired. I think it's bedtime. No church again tomorrow as I need to: bring things in from the car (I stopped at Walmart on the way to Mark's this morning, and laundry), and go grocery shopping. I am going to Sav-A-Lot this time.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 01-27-2018, 10:32 PM
Nine Year Member

Went to Publix today picked up some b1g1f items I needed and sale items. Saved $42.07 which was great. Like the smithfield hamsteaks that were b1g1 bought four. Bought Aunt Jemima pancake & syrup also the ketchup & miracle whip, truvia sweetener b1g1f. Coffee was on sale so bought 3 cans . Had $4 in coupon savings. The rest was the normal everyday items.

Norma, Nice to see you back on again. Sounds like you have accomplished a lot since moving to Florida. Hopefully this is almost the end of the cooler weather.
_____
Sueanne

Last edited by Sueanne; 01-27-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:36 PM

Good evening all!!

Went to church anyway. God woke me up and I was ashamed before Him of myself for even thinking I wouldn't go. So off I went, and then grocery shopped afterward. I was approached by a woman after church (she's in my Sunday School class) and asked if I were alone here in Jax. She was happy when I told her that I have 2 brothers here.

Got back after it had apparently poured here, but it was clear at that time I got back. I was even able to get the poop out of my area before it really started later.

Other than that, I have not done much today. Tired, just tired.

Better go for now. Norma
Old 01-29-2018, 09:45 AM
Nine Year Member

Jean, thank you for your condolences, it was a blue time for sure, still, good memories when I think of her, so that is good. We too are trying to downsize our bills, turning out lights, when I donít I can see that old electric meter just spinning along even though I am inside and it is outside.

Sueanne, I really like central PA except for when in the winter I hear about your lovely fruit stands! So jealous! Nice to have a friendly chat site. I tired giving dh a pedicure, must do it again though. How does one address all the callous around the toes? Itís weird, the rest of his foot is soft, even the heels!

Roberta, I totally need to get some things back up on Craigs List. I brought a bunch of clothes over to Goodwill though instead.

Norma, or hmmph, Mario Andretti (!) you are going to be the best skilled astute direction worthy driver around once you get adjusted! Glad to hear all is going well. Too bad about the dog, are you allowed to put a small fence up and a sign that says Vegetable Garden with some big plant pots? Maybe that would keep the dogs out, or at least the owners more aware. My daughter struggled with this at her apartment, too.

Sans Dans Mom, I also am decluttering, but once a month instead. Got the bedroom closet done, now on to the kitchen and craft area.

All is fine here, credit card balance is shrinking along at a good pace. Daughter is planning wedding. Other daughter is planning her move into the new house. I think walk through is March 9th.

I read three books and binge-watched one mystery series this weekend on Netflix. Knitted and drank tea with some friends. Learned another way to use my instant pot (bone broth, pot was gift from my knitting friends).

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 01-30-2018, 03:55 AM

Good morning all!!

Ellen, thank, but Mario Andretti I will never be. I keep the gps charged and am just trying to slowly get where I need to be (been here 3 months now and should know my way somewhere).

Glad to hear everything is going along swimmingly.

No, I wish I could cordon off the area in front of my patio, but I can't. Can't plant anything out there either.

Well, I learned yesterday the company is giving us a steak luncheon today. Apparently the customer service dept sold enough pest control (or lawn, or shrub, or termite or even attic insulation) to qualify. If we had made a lesser amount, we would be treated to a hamburger luncheon, and if we did really stinky, no lunch.

I sold my first pest control package last week, so I feel I helped in that effort. When I get on my own (I am still in training), I will start to get the commission for those sales.

Not much else, just trying to get a little area cleared or put away (like my dining room table which has become a catch-all for the mail, bags of stuff I bring in, etc).

I had forgotten to get canned tomatoes this weekend when I shopped to make chili, so I stopped at Sav-A-Lot before I went home last night and got them.

Better go for now. Got to finish getting ready for work.

Take care all!! Norma

Closed Thread