Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 06:57 AM
Nine Year Member

There are 2 movies up for grabs! https://www.familycorner.com/forums/contests-prizes/

Starting the year doing the same money saving things. Using as many coupons as I can, rolling cigs for DH, buying gc for the gas points for stores I'm shopping at, eating at home, posting for sale items we want to get rid of, etc.

Roberta
Old 01-05-2018, 08:26 AM
Nine Year Member

Buying Groceries & Meat When On Sale!

Glad I don't have to go grocery shopping this week again. Saved last week buying the chuck steaks when they were on sale to cook in the air fryer frozen for more tenderness & flavor. Had $6 in coupons and loads of b1g1 savings saving me $51.53 for that week. Try to get my laundry products b1g1& paper products on sale too to have a supply always on hand.

Should be getting my rewards coupon from Lowe's that I get for buying groceries. Can use it to get more Led bulbs that save on electric and last for years.

Glad I froze figs, papaya slices & moringa. It will take time for them to give fruit again. Will start looking for new recipes to use them frozen.
________
Sueanne

Old 01-05-2018, 08:37 AM

Good morning all!!

LaurieS, crossed fingers worked. They sent the next round of paperwork via email, and it will go back on Monday. Moving ahead.

Jean, glad you didn't get too much snow. EHC NJ had 9" by 9 am yesterday morning. My old job was closed. Governor declared a state of emergency.

Making more portions than necessary is a great way to get ahead of the energy needed to cook future meals.

Sueanne, glad you were able to get the fruit trees all "tented" or wrapped before the severe weather hit.

It was 23* this morning, but going up to a balmy 49* before the end of the day. Tomorrow is also supped be pretty cold in the morning, but the in 50*'s in the afternoon.

Roberta, you wouldn't be you unless you did the things you do. Keep it up, and there will be peace and comfort in your home for a long time to come.

I will be going out after lunch to the bank. Seems I am still receiving some refunds from utilities, etc. that I prepaid. So I need to get those checks in the mail.

The house I co-signed for will be sold, the bank accepted the offer on it, and the lawyer's office sent me some paperwork that I need to sign and get back to them on Monday. I am so glad that this will be behind me.

Better go for now.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 01-06-2018, 08:48 AM
Nine Year Member

Figs & Moringa on toast for breakfast

Glad I froze my figs & moringa leaves when they were producing. Put the figs in the microwave to defrost & cook. Love them on toast with honey & cinnamon folded over with a hot cup of coffee.
________
Sueanne
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2018, 05:20 AM

Good morning all!!

Just a quick check in before going to church this morning.

I worked the food pantry yesterday at church, and took 4 crocheted hats. (I had to get up real early to finish off the 4th hat). They were gratefully received. And the church did a "thank you volunteers" luncheon for the food pantry workers. It was catered by Chic-Fil-A, so it was excellent.

I have to go do a drug test tomorrow for the Bug Out job. Hopefully it is will be quick and painless.

Mark and I will be driving around the area near them this afternoon to see what apartment houses there are, the shopping situation, etc. Since it is about a 30 minute drive, it will be wiser to get an apartment there, than in this area.

Better go for now.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 01-07-2018, 10:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi everyone, hope you all are making it good in this weather. The news is saying we are in for a big warm-up this week but tomorrow might get bad.

Roberta, your frugal ways have served you and your family well. I'm amazed at the great deals you get.

Susanne, with harvesting and freezing so many fruits you have saved so much money as well as all the grocery savings. So many of you on here are very inspiring.

Norma, around here people say if a company is paying for you to be drug tested then they are wanting to hire you. I hope you get the job and that you really like it. Good luck with everything.

My frugals have been staying home and eating leftovers. Friday I finished the leftover from roast and sides with it and yesterday was leftover soup and cornbread and will most likely be what I have today as well. I put out my Valentine decorations this weekend so that has brightened up the house a little. Well I will soon have to cook breakfast for dh and pack his lunch. I already boiled some eggs for his lunch but will have to see what else he wants. Hope you all have a good evening.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:59 AM
Nine Year Member

With a freezer full of meat, this year I decided to take advantage of the after Christmas sales on clothing. So far I have found a pair of snow/hiking boots, dress boots, leggings. Still waiting to see if the tunic tops will fit and look right with the leggings. Frugal is making sure I can pay for them! And dh said he would throw in some bucks to help out.

Roberta, caramel apple sparkling juice sounds very good. And I see where our church is still selling gift card s for the grocery store I go to, so I definitely could help the church by doing that. I need to update my online sales listings.

Sueanne, can you explain the Lowes rewards on groceries? We have a Lowes, I think it might be alocal thing? Those LED bulbs are really grand. The moringa and fig and honey toast does look good. Is that an egg peaking out from underneath?

LaurieS – Happy New Year to you across the miles!

Norma – you went south to get away from the cold! I hope the job comes through for you. Such a good idea on the sweet potatoes in the ricer. I like smashed potatoes but the sweets being creamy, especially in a casserole would be good. Plus it reminds me I have four of them in the bread box to use up. I think this year I will have/make some time to make some charity knitting projects, I sure hope so!

Jean, we also got into the negatives with the wind chill. We kept the chickens inside the coop for a day or so, it can be ten degrees warmer in there than outside and the wind doesn’t ruffle their feathers up either. We had a boil water alert all through Christmas so it was a challenge, but now it is over. Bottled water tastes so good! But not frugal. I got the few snowmen out and a new collar for the dog with Valentine hearts on it. A portion of the proceeds goes to pet rescues.

Not much else frugal. Daughter got a loan to live on so she can start paying off the credit card balance (it was a low interest school loan and the interest doesn't accrue until after she graduates, and at a low rate, it will be good for her to build some credit up) and I am packing lunches and snacks again, and taking the bus so we don’t use up car gas running me back and forth from work, Even though the new car gets better mileage by 50%, it still does use gas to come in town and back home.

Still holding on hearing about if I am a match for my sister’s cancer. She is responding well to treatment. If I am not a match then I will go back to Bio Life and donate plasma for money.

My girlfriend with the more horrible cancer passed a couple days before Christmas. On the bus this morning, my seat partner told me her mother also passed, two days before my friend. So a challenge this Christmas.

On the plus side, not only is my daughter getting married, but two more engagements at Christmas, a nephew and a neighbor, so …

…Weddings and Funerals! The years ahead will be filled with ‘occasions’, never a dull moment.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 01-08-2018, 07:51 PM
Nine Year Member

Ellen, I'm sorry to hear of your friend's passing. I'm glad to hear your sister responding well to her treatment.

Weather has been crazy, 2hr delays Wed & Thur then no school Fri & Mon. They are calling for fog in the morning so there might be a delay there.

Roberta
Old 01-08-2018, 10:03 PM
Nine Year Member

[QUOTE=ellenmelon;1221673].

Sueanne, can you explain the Lowes rewards on groceries? We have a Lowes, I think it might be alocal thing? Those LED bulbs are really grand. The moringa and fig and honey toast does look good. Is that an egg peaking out from underneath?

I use a Loews credit card that gives cash rewards when you shop for groceries, gas or other things to spend at Loews when you get it. Feels good to buy things you can use for free.
What you see is the butter since I use frozen moringa leaves on top of it.
Gives the sandwich folded a nice crunch. The figs I cut after heating to bring out the juices.[QUOTE]
_______
Sueanne

Old 01-09-2018, 07:55 AM

Good morning all!

Jean, you are doing everything you can to be frugal. All of our ways are similar, but somewhat different.

Ellen, that is wonderful that you have a full freezer. I will need to get a small chest freezer - for my own sanity's sake. The freezer in the fridges, just don't get it for me!

Glad you are now able to expand your wardrobe because of being so frugal and having that freezer full of meat. Hopefully it will all fit, and you will be the "belle of the ball" in your new duds, again.

So sorry to hear about your friend passing. But she is now in no more pain, and your memories of her will grow sweet again.

So happy to hear that your sister is improving with her treatment.

Put those sweet potatoes on your menu. They may keep for awhile, but not forever.

Roberta, fog here this morning too. Yesterday was supposed to warm up, and I guess it did some. Still had a polyester pullover top (like a long sleeved t-shirt) on all day. Thought it might get warm enough to go to a cotton t-shirt but that didn't happen. Thursday it might get up to 78* and then back into the just-above-freezing overnights again and temps in the 50*'s during the day for next week.

I GOT THE JOB! They called me a little while ago with the news. I start Tuesday morning at 8.

Mark took the day off yesterday and after the drug test, we rode all over the Arlington area and stopped at every apartment complex we saw. We talked to the leasing agents, and took a lot of information. We also looked at where the stores are in that area of town, and I saw some interesting furniture at the Salvation Army.

Rode over to my other brothers' house and he has offered himself and his trailer to help me move, and get furniture, etc. Mark offered me dishes and silverware, and his truck, and back to move stuff too.

I am feeling so blessed, and overwhelmed at the same time again. The thought of having to move from here, and set up household on my own again...too much for this old brain to think about.

Mark has been so kind and gracious, letting me live here rent free, refusing to take money for any extra I have caused him to spend in bills, etc. But we are different people, and it is time to go spread my wings here in this state.

Better go for now. I have some apartment places to call back. One I just need to look at. My brother who lives in that part of the city said that there might be some unsavory characters around there. It is right at Jones College, and it might have been some college housing, but the ones directly across the street didn't look like it was a good neighborhood. But who knows. I have already already called the guy and left a message to see if I can see it on Friday.

Take care all!! norma

Closed Thread