Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 04:29 PM

What Did You Do Frugal Today~October 2017

For encouragement in frugal ways--large and small--look no further. This is where we share helpful hints for stretching our money, saving time and making sure we don't waste resources.

Remember, "frugal" does not mean "don't spend money!" It means "be wise with what you spend!"

What Did YOU Do Frugal Today?

Anna
Old 09-30-2017, 07:24 PM

Just updating from Sept.

Norma

Don't we wish our jobs were just answering the phones LOL! Those days are long gone.

I have been on my "new job" now for 3 1/2 months it's extremely over the top fast paced and won't slow down till November. The phones ring off the hooks all day every day. I found amongst my thrift store finds today 2 mouse pins which go well with my work themed jewelry. Hopefully everyone see's the humour in it.. I've found bee earrings, butterfly pin and flying insect can't remember their name earrings over the past few months so much fun to buy jewelry that expresses something.

I've been updating my wardrobe weekly since I now work in a office thrift store tops 99 cents to $3.99 so I look nice and professional on a budget.

Well gang I'm off to bed hopefully will be going to church tomorrow.. David had surgery Sept. 18th on his back, he had a huge tumour that started leaking this nasty smelly stuff they took off his back and left a incision 9 inches across it was so deep. So he was in a lot of pain the past 2 weeks and we didn't go to church this past Sunday he missed over a week of work thankfully he has a lot of vacation time that he was able to take.

Anna
Old 09-30-2017, 10:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi everyone, hope your weekend is going good.

Anna, I'm sorry for what David has been going through. Do the doctors know what caused the tumor? I hope he improves each day.

Norma, how are you doing?

Frugal for me was staying home the past two days and eating from home. We have had a beautiful fall day. The air is chilly tonight. My ods came by for a visit. He ate some of the homemade soup I had made yesterday. I sent some in dh's lunch. He called on his break and said it was the best soup I had ever made. I was glad he and ods enjoyed it. I fixed up what bills have come in so far for this payday. I'm always relieved to get them sent out and taken care of. I watched a football game tonight and have been watching some free HBO that we get for the weekend. Have a good night.
Jean
Old 10-01-2017, 03:17 AM
Nine Year Member

It is easy work that is for sure. Hopefully next week will begin a normal home life and I'm not running each evening for dd1 to get her settled.

Roberta
Old 10-01-2017, 04:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Happy October!
Old 10-01-2017, 08:10 AM

Good afternoon all!!

I have been MIA. I have been trying to get back into a routine with packing on the top of the list.

The baking cabinet has now been packed. I am not taking the crockpot, it cooks too hot and too fast. I will not be taking the one cookie sheet, because it is small (fits the small oven here just right) and it is practically black. And they are too easy to replace when needed.

Ellen, kudos to you for getting in there and digging out the bargains between Comcast and Verizon. Also for getting money from everyone you "leant" your cc to. Sometimes that is hard to do.

Sueanne, how wonderful on the new moringa trees, and on the deals from publix.

Anna, no, receptionist/customer service is not easy, and there is always something new to learn. Sounds like you got some neat bargains on your thrift store finds.

Roberta, congratulations on the new job, the hours, and getting to know the clients already.

Sounds like there is/was something going on with dd1 that you didn't want to share. (I am just reading between the lines). Hope it all works out for the best. I know a lot of time, sweat, tears, prayers, and money goes with them.

I have an outdoor party to go to this afternoon. I am in a fairly heavy long-sleeved cotton shirt and heavy jeans, with socks on.

My schedule this week is that I go in tomorrow (Alice's dh has a dr. apt.), am off on Tuesday - I will go work our food pantry and then in the afternoon go to the title company to sign papers. Then I work the rest of the week.

Next week I work Monday, and off Tuesday (again, Alice's dh has a dr. apt.), I will work our food pantry, and then in the afternoon, the city will come in to certify the house with the CO (certificate of occupancy).

I can't think past then. And I don't know what will happen with my schedule.

My brother is thinking about coming in on Friday, instead of Saturday. If he does that, my sister has told him she would pick him up at the airport. That would be wonderful - they could spend the daytime hours together.

Between now and then, Josh has to get the couch, and I will need to get an air mattress so Mark will have something to sleep on.

Some days it is just trying to put one foot in front of the other that is difficult.

Better go for now, if I want a nap before going to the party.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 10-02-2017, 06:44 AM
Nine Year Member

Norma, yes it was good savings and I don't miss the tv stations, we watch Create and old movies and black and white shows, such fun!

Jean, like minds we have! I made veg beef soup from bits a pieces, too.

Knit a hat this weekend.

Have enough comp time to take the rest of the day off after I work on some printables here at work,

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 10-02-2017, 10:50 AM
Nine Year Member

Sue is trying to get the Family Corner Christmas Ornament exchange together. If anyone is interested. She put a post up on the FC Front porch FB page. It is a lot of fun to particpate. Lauri

The need for home aides is so great I could work 36 hrs a day from all the offers each day for other shifts.

Roberta
Old 10-03-2017, 01:32 PM

Good afternoon all!!

Well, I was wrong, the city (C.O.) was here today. The guy said I need a GFI in the kitchen, and to have one window fixed. That's it. YAY.

The realtor gave me the phone number for the handyman they use, and I have left a voicemail in to him.

I worked at the food pantry today, and came home with 4 ears of local corn which was donated to the food bank, and a box of chickpea pasta. I am interested in this because if it is good, it will help with my diabetes, and add some protein to my meal. I am to taste it and give my fellow "food pantry workers" a review next week.

We have a real loud woodpecker in the neighborhood and he is really working this afternoon.

Made my moringa and my cinnamon capsules today for 2 weeks worth.

I found out last evening that my brother can't come up on 10/28. His bosses from Orlando are coming up 10/27 and will stay through 11/3. So he will be here 11/4. Which is fine. I am still quitting work on 10/27. I will just lounge, etc. around the house, finish packing, etc. for that last week.

Better go for now, I have to do the dishes and get out the door for Bible Study.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 10-03-2017, 05:37 PM
Nine Year Member

Norma, It is frustrating all you have to to go through to sell a house. Glad everything passed for you.
See that you are still using the Moringa & cinnamon each day. I was wondering if you too notice the difference using it. Gave my sister today the Moringa I was growing in the clay pot by the front door and a fig tree from a cutting from a tree she gave me twenty years ago that is still producing. Hope it grows fast for her too. Happy to see that you will have your brother to help you with the move driving to Florida.
_________
Sueanne

Attached Images

Closed Thread