Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 07:27 AM

Good morning all!!

Roberta, that stinks, really it does. Is there any way to have the paychecks direct deposited. While it is not my first choice, we do it at work, and at least it goes in.

Ellen, glad to hear you are feeling better with Daniel Diet. Sorry to hear that your dh got that stomach bug. We are hearing from those who have had doctor's appts. that it is lasting 3-4 days and some people (especially the very young and older adults) are having to go into the hospital for a few days because of dehydration.

Colleen, so sorry to hear you are still having problems with your arm. Sometimes those muscles just refuse to go back to normal.

Anna, that sounds like a good recipe.

I am going to try a new cake recipe this weekend. You take a can of apple pie filling and mix it with an angel cake food mix. Put it into a greased 13x9 pan and bake on 350* for 20 minutes. I have some vanilla sugar I made years, and years ago, that I plan to put on the top.

My friends were here bright and early to fix my kitchen light. All back together thankfully. I was pleased with myself that I was able to make do with my bedroom lamp until he was able to get back to put in the new lights.

I have already been to the bank also, so for today, I am now in. I need to go and get some work done on Sally's afghan. It would be great to be able to finish it next weekend.

There are sales this week on corned beef ($1.88 lb), cabbage ($.17 lb), carrots, and even potatoes. So this week will be a stock up week for me.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 03-05-2017, 03:49 AM

Good morning all!!

It is 15* here this morning. I will need to go warm up the car in a few minutes before I go to church.

Made semi-pizzas last night. I had pocketless pitas onto which I layered cheddar cheese, and sausage crumbles, no sauce. It was really good.

I am picking up containers for soup this morning. I am making "soup for seniors" for our church. I will make the soup Saturday, and take it with me next Sunday. You put it into the fridge and the seniors who have signed up, can pick up their container after either service they come to. It is such a privilege to do this. I didn't see any kind of restrictions as far as dietary concerns, but I am still only going to make a basic chicken noodle soup. What a great program for some seniors who don't feel like making something really nutritious all the time. I think they will be doing something in the summer too, but I don't know what that will be since this program just started in October.

Well I better go for now.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 03-05-2017, 07:19 AM
Nine Year Member

Norma, direct deposit isn't possible as it is a really small company. She is doing me a favor by mailing it to me as everyone else picks their checks up. But it would be a 50 min round trip for me to pick up my check.

Providing a meal or two for the seniors is a great thing your church is doing. They can divide the container into serving sizes for them and freeze if not going to eat it right away.

I found this toothpaste article interesting. http://thekrazycouponlady.com/tips/a...m_medium=email

Roberta
Old 03-05-2017, 04:07 PM
Nine Year Member

Roberta, I have been using tooth paste to clean even my brass door knobs on my front door and other knobs around the house. They look like new now.

Still feeding my Papaya trees from last year that have fruit growing. The puree I make from the veggie & fruit peels will make them grow larger. No sense throwing them out with the price of produce. The ripe ones go in smoothies the green for stir fry cooking.
_________
Sueanne
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2017, 05:59 AM

Good morning all!!

Roberta, good tips. Sorry you can't get the money more quickly. Hope they come very quickly. That would really mess up my bill-paying schedules for sure.

I read through the toothpaste tips. A lot I do already, but I didn't know about the permanent marker. Will have to keep that one in mind.

The containers are pint size, so it really is 2 meals that they can enjoy during the week.

Evelyn, Pastor Al's wife, said that one of the seniors told her that they haven't eaten so many veggies in a long time as they are with the soup. And that is really encouraging.

Sueanne, you are sure taking good care of the papaya plants. What do the unripe ones taste like that you cook with? I also like them dehydrated.

I keep forgetting to let you all know, I have been putting the dark clothes out and drying them on the line. In February, and now in March. Unbelievable. I couldn't do them on Saturday, because it was just too cold, but it is supposed to get to 50* today, so they are there. Lots of sunshine.

Not a lot happening here. I need to get my pills put together and get them in me.

Making some ribs that I found on clearance yesterday for dinner. I also bought an 8 piece container of dark meat fried chicken (comparable to the taste of KFC or Popeyes crispy) for $3.99 with a coupon. Made some coleslaw to go with it, and removed the potatoes from the stew I had leftover and reheated them to go with for dinner last night. The stew, minus those potatoes, went into the freezer for maybe next week. I won't have to cook, only veggies between the meatloaf that is in the freezer and this portion of stew.

I did have to take the whole bottom shelf out of the refrigerator and soak it in the bathtub yesterday. Seems that the container I put some coleslaw in had a crack in the bottom that I didn't know about (hard plastic container), and the dressing leaked through and all over that shelf creating a very sticky mess. It took me awhile to figure out what had leaked, and it wasn't what I made yesterday. So I just put hot water and some dawn (didn't measure) into the bathtub, turned over the shelf and soaked it.

I read the first and second book of the Frugal Gazzette again, and now in March, I am re-reading the last book. It is just a great way to start each year. Helps me to keep on track.

Better go and get something done.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 03-06-2017, 06:27 AM
Nine Year Member

I called 2 local roofing companies to come take a look at the roof. Have a small leak that needs to be taken care of plus the new (last year) insurance company is saying I need to replace the roof which I disagree with.

Figuring a new schedule out since Hunter now comes at 6:30am, we went back to bed until 8:30. Daddy will pick him up around 1:45 so will have an earlier lunch so we can get a nap in.

Roberta
Old 03-06-2017, 10:01 AM
Nine Year Member

Norma, I think we eat more green Papaya than ripe since it is easy to shred or cube to add to cooking. It browns easily and softens in stews making all meats tender. Love adding it around roasted chicken & meats. Has more nutrients green than ripe. It is great for digestion especially older people. I like using it since its is free to use since the tree has them all year long.
_______
Sueanne

Old 03-06-2017, 01:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good afternoon, all!
Things have been busy here. My younger brother was in town last weekend, and Mom gave us quite a scare. She thought she was having a heart attack and had to be rushed to the hospital. Luckily my brother was right there and could call 911. Fortunately it wasn't a heart attack, but we don't know what caused the issue. She had stents placed last year at about this time and had been cleared by the dr to go back to regular activity. She is out of the hospital and I'm taking her to her followup appointment with her cardiologist this Friday. Hopefully we will get some answers.
Frugal here is just the usuals...meal planning, grocery shopping based on the plan, taking lunches and snacks from home. Nothing too earth shattering.
Hope everyone is having a good start to the week! Talk to you all soon!
Old 03-06-2017, 02:28 PM

Good evening all!!

Roberta, when I was getting Kyler early in the morning, I just let him stay asleep in his car seat, if he was already asleep. But Hunter is a lot older, and recognizes the differences in sounds around him when he is asleep.

Sueanne, but what does the papaya taste like when it is cooked - does it take on the taste of whatever you are cooking it with, like mushrooms?

Chris, so sorry to hear about your mom's health scare. Glad you will be able to take her to that appointment on Friday.

I have had a great day here at the house by myself.

The afghan I am making is now officially over halfway complete. All the clothes didn't completely dry - pants are still damp in the crotch, but the tops are dry.

I decluttered some spices out of the cabinet when I was getting out the ones I use when I parboil ribs. Old, or just ones I don't use, went out.

I made ribs and asparagus and had a small bowl of cole slaw for dinner.

And I made the apple/angel food cake dump mix. It is beautiful. But, warning - cook it for 1/2 hour, not 20 minutes. It was ready to go in when the ribs came out of the oven so I didn't turn the oven off and then on again.

Took out the garbage to the street for pick-up tomorrow.

Need to go do the dishes. And then I will get back to the afghan.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 03-07-2017, 04:21 AM
Nine Year Member

Hunter was awake when he got here and took about 30 min to fall asleep for another 60 min. He did take a long nap and was still asleep when his Dad came to get him.

Printed off some coupons this morning.

Roberta

Closed Thread