Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 02:36 AM

Good morning all!!

Sueanne, yes, you have to take care of the fruit trees. Glad they got the winter care they needed.

Not a lot going on here. My Journey Class (Sunday School) was about prayer. On my way out, one woman I have known for years and years now, asked me to be her prayer "coach". I am truly honored, but have doubts that I would be the best person to do this with/for her. I have a mentor that I go to myself, for encouragement and direction.

Found oxi-clean for 1/2 price. Found kielbasa on sale for $1.99 for a package that is 16.8 oz (20% more). My 12oz. package was over $2 a couple of weeks ago. That one I cooked last night with peppers, onions, and mushrooms. So I have 2 more "planned" meals for this week. I cut a round Kaiser roll in half (from top to bottom, not horizontally) and used it for a bun.

I have my doctor's appt. this morning, so I am trying to get my cinnamon and my moringa capsules together now.

And I do want to check out the dollar store in that area where I am going to see if I can find a bigger than pint sized bleach and those gel air fresheners that I want. Then it will be off to the goodwill to look for pants.

I wasn't real happy with how the boys from the high school soccer team packaged my groceries yesterday. They wanted to put uncooked meat with a hot rotisserie chicken, so I had to get that separated and explained why you don't do this. Next, they wanted to put Danish in with that chicken, so I explained that the icing could melt. So I asked that they just hand me the bag with the hot chicken in it, and we went on. The cashier was saying, "Oh they are learning". Learning is to put the bread on top, inherent is not to put uncooked meat in with something that might partially cook it on the way home. That would be my money down the drain, and no lesson for those kids. When they wanted to put the Danish in with the chicken, I asked if they would then want to eat those Danish after their mom took out the package with the melting icing all over the place. That was a lesson, imho.

Not much else going on here. We are under a wind warning - expecting gusts up to 50 mph throughout the day. It is really breezy out there now, but nothing more.

Better go finish breakfast (Danish and tea) and then get ready to go.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 02-13-2017, 10:36 AM

Good afternoon all!!

Success - 3 pair of jeans (2 blue, 1 black) at Walmart ($18.67 a piece), and 2 pair of pants for work (both black) at the thrift store ($5 each).

Thrift store also has a short cedar chest for $30 that I am so thinking of going back for, like now.

Walmart in the camping section, I got a magnesium striker. No matter how bad the matches are, I have something to strike them against now, that I am comfortable with.

At the dollar store, I got the bleach and the gel air freshener beads that I wanted.

Came home and washed all the pants. They are now hanging on the drying rack.

Not much else going on.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 02-13-2017, 11:02 AM
Nine Year Member

Norma, my pet peeve on packing groceries is the lettuce getting bruised and the bread squished, even after I separate the bread items out and ask them to put in a paper bag, the checker tries to put something heavy in with them...clearly our groceries need the kind of tlc that sueanne gives her plants!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 02-13-2017, 11:46 AM

Good afternoon all!!

Ellen that is usually why I normally take my own bags, and pack my own groceries.

I called the Veteran's Services Director, but he needs to call me back. I couldn't get to anyone, so I had to leave a message.

Better go for now.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 02-14-2017, 08:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Happy Valentine's Day, my frugal friends!

Norma--
I cannot tell you how much your praise of my writing means to me. It is the one part of my job I am passionate about, and that means so much. Hope the high winds don't do any damage!

Ellen--
The web site is radishmagazine.com--go the the Quad Cities tab at the top, and that will take you to the magazine I write for (our sister paper has a Radish Magazine, too). Thank you for asking about it! And I am with you getting frustrated about squished groceries! Paul always asks for the bread to be put in a paper bag. He doesn't care for the bread at Aldi's and likes a certain bread at HyVee, so we always get it there. With putting it in a paper bag, not only does the checker not squish it, we remember which bag it's in and are extra careful with it when we put it in the car. The added bonus is we have lots of ways to use those paper bags--for ripening tomatoes, wrapping packages to mail, etc.

Sueanne--
Your work with your fruit trees continues to amaze me! And the ability to grow such fruits is one more mark in the Florida column when I am thinking of places I would eventually like to move to when I retire!

Jean--
I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoy reading your posts. You are always doing such wonderful things for your family, and your love for them always shines through. You are just such a joy!

Colleen--
Thinking of you and hoping you feel less pain again soon.

Anna--
I am sure you are very busy at work today with the Valentine's shoppers. Hope it's a good day for you!

Roberta--
Staying away from the sale ads is definitely one way to not be tempted to do any extra shopping!

Hello to anyone I have missed!

Frugal here... I bought a $10 Target GC from Groupon for $5. I will wait to use it until I find something I need on sale, hopefully with a coupon to add. Otherwise, just the usual stuff.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day! Love to you all!
Old 02-14-2017, 05:04 PM

Good evening all!

Chris, thanks, but I only speak the truth about your writing.

I got in this morning to be told that one of my co-workers came in with the stomach flu yesterday - throwing up from both ends. So she called out today. My supervisor who was supposed to be off - came in late, so we had 3 people today.

Then Doug was his usual sweet self, and brought in chocolate covered strawberries - huge strawberries all decorated with either milk or white chocolate with drizzles of different colors. Pretty, and really delicious.

Glad I had made extras for dinners, so I didn't have to come home and cook, just heat something up.

Better go for now, and get some crocheting done. Need to finish another hat and then a 3rd before Sunday.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 02-14-2017, 06:19 PM
Nine Year Member

The office workers where I clean received tulips in a jar the other week. Well one bunch was in the trash tonight so I brought the tulips home. I'm guessing I will need to let the leaves die back then plant the bulbs in the fall??

Brought home 10 bags of sliced apples leftover from the training at the office tonight. Had a snack of 2 bags of the apples with smoked gouda cheese. Yummm was very tasty, super tasty because it was all FREE! LOL

The freebies for my birthday are rolling in. I redeemed the points from Old Orchard tonight so the coupon for a free bottle will be here in a free weeks.

Roberta
Old 02-14-2017, 06:47 PM

Good evening everyone and hello to all...

I don't make it over here very often but I do think of all of you. Chris.. Valentines Day was crazy yesterday and today and so glad it is over with for another year. The other holidays are never as crazy as this one. I am not allowed to post on my FB page but we were robbed last week during the day shift it was my boss this time and so scary. I got to see the video of what happened and it made me so angry to see her so scared. They didn't use a weapon just hopped across the counter and shoved her in to the bookcase and grabbed all the money out of the register. So with this being our peak season we were very concerned about how much money we had available for a robbery again. Thank God we got through it and will return to something close to normal for a month.

With 2 new trainees it was hard coordinating and getting past difficult challenges and mean customers.. most of our customers are fantastic but the meanies sigh! holidays bring them in.

I have been trying to do all meals from home but we knew going in that this week would be the week when all bets were off.. we had Donatos for dinner tonight when I really had wanted to make dinner but my feet and back hurt and David was tired too. I work night shift tomorrow, off Thurs. work Friday night shift then I am actually off the whole weekend a unexpected surprise today.. one of the ladies who works seasonal was accidentally paid another employees pay and has to work to pay it back so I will get the weekend off, will loose 6 hours (they did ask if I was ok with this) weekends off are extremely rare so I took it. It will give me a chance to get my house cleaned good. David broke his watch the other day, ordered a new one (that was my Valentines Day gift to him).. he bought me a small pair of real gold heart shaped earrings for my gift, perfect. I didn't have a heart shaped pair of earrings and I like to have holiday themed jewelry and hadn't been able to find anything appropriate at the thrift stores that fit my ears. I have small ears and most droop down too low on my ears or if they are danglies too long. I only like lever back earrings for danglies and they are hard to find anymore.

Still going to church every week we've only missed 1 Sunday when we were both sick with colds and a fever.

Ellen.. good to see you back with us and I enjoy reading everyones posts.

Take care.. better get to bed dh has to work in the am.

Anna
Old 02-15-2017, 03:03 AM
Nine Year Member

Oh Anna that is really scary. I hope your boss and any other co-worker has someone to talk to about the experience. With a push & grab there isn't much an employee can do to stop it. Hopefully with the video that will give the police a lead to follow.

My family received their own bag of Cadbury chocolates that I was able to get for free awhile back.

I had 3 laundry baskets full of items from the house that was sold & picked up last Sunday at the meet. I'm working at getting more posted each week. I want to get dd1's formals posted with the hope of selling before Prom season.

Making a grocery list with the new sale starting today. Several items we will be needing so no just running in for bread & milk.

Roberta
Old 02-15-2017, 05:31 AM
Nine Year Member

Take care, Anna! I will feel better when all our transactions are online, no cash, so stores don't get robbed like that. I am sure the thieves will think of some other way, but grab and go should not be one of them.

Roberta, not sure on the tulip bulbs but I think peat or sawdust or shredded newspaper, a baggie loosely tied, and cool like a fridge or cold basement might help those bulbs keep until the fall.

Thanks for the link Chris!

Norma, it is so nice to have a thoughtful boss, isn't it? !

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."

Closed Thread