Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 09:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi everyone, hope your weekend is going good. It's not as cold as yesterday but still cold here. Dh works outside at night so I feel bad for him when it gets cold.

Roberta, I sure hope coke will still have some kind of rewards to help us out. It's one of the few things I can do living in a rural area with hardly any stores to shop at you can't get the deals like you can in a larger area.

Sueanne, I love the Digiorno pizzas.

Frugal was staying home, cooking dh's breakfast and packing his lunch. Fixed myself a salad for supper and with a few squares of melting chocolate made some ritz cracker cookies. The only money spent was dh giving a donation at work for a co-worker that's in the hospital. Have a good night.
Jean
Old 02-05-2017, 11:26 AM

Good afternoon all!!

Jean, you are not eating "leftovers" you are eating "planned and cooked ahead meals". Sounds like you are doing really well saving wherever you can.

I am just glad Marty was able to fix the car. I was worried about whether I ditch the car and try to find a newer one with the little money I do have, or try to have it fixed. This worked out well.

Roberta, glad that you are still able to do housework. Because no one will do it as well as you do.

I like the idea of the cabbage eggroll casserole too. I bought a bag of cole slaw mix this morning, and have put the dressing on it already so it will be all melded together by dinner time.

Thanks for the help Ellen. I am definitely interested. I am thinking that when I move, to have some cash coming in immediately while I look for a job (we all know that family who want you to be hired somewhere and even when they are willing to put their word on the line, sometimes things don't work out), I could do that, and get established teaching for the AHA in Jacksonville.

Sueanne, see you are moving right ahead with a new season of gardening. I saw a woman this morning on youtube picking some very small moringa leaves from her little tree in her greenhouse, to add to a salad.

When I was buying pizza, I liked DiGiorno the best.

Not a lot going on here. I managed to make 3 new hats to take to church this week.

Not a lot of deals this week at the grocery stores, so I stuck to the basics - rice, a bag of dry beans, milk, bread, salt. Then at the produce market, they had no grape tomatoes, no mushrooms, things I like to put in salads. So the salads this week will be kinda sparce - romaine lettuce, cukes, onions, red bell peppers and croutons. Not a big deal, but I do need to eat more salads.

But I do have a few dollars to put away to start next week's budget. And I feel pretty good about that.

Tomorrow, I have to go get my car inspected - overdue - should have done this in December. And I need to go get a new title to the car - I looked and looked and looked last week, and can't find it anywhere.

I would also like to go to Dollar Tree. I need some bleach, and would like to get a couple more bags of those air freshener little round gel things. One for work, and one for my bathroom.

The woman at church who has the twins has asked me to come hang out with them tomorrow afternoon, and I might. Becky is alone with the boys a lot and since they don't speak English yet (just baby gibber, and maybe twin gibber), she feels lonely for adult company sometimes.

All meals have been from home. Last night was pork chops, succotash and applesauce. Tonight will be mac and cheese, pork chops, and cole slaw.

Better go for now. I would like to make a black forest cake with chocolate icing. Just want something a little different.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 02-05-2017, 05:40 PM
Nine Year Member

That is very nice of you to spend some time with Becky while you are still in NJ Norma. I remember when being a new Mom was very overwhelming when people stopped helping in the first week or two. I'm sure with two kids it is a big help for someone to be there playing so you can get some things done around the house.

I know when Rebecca had Hunter her MIL, my Mom and I spent the day with them when her DH went back to work for the first 2 weeks when she was feeling better and more confident at being alone.

I stopped at CVS last night to take advantage of their Coke sale 5 12pks for $15 and I had 3 coupons so I only paid $6 for the 5 12 pks. Will enter those 50 points tomorrow when the new week starts.

Roberta
Old 02-05-2017, 07:46 PM
Nine Year Member

Made the self rising DiGiorno Pizza with pepperoni for lunch in the convection toaster oven. Put the slices in the air fryer to give it a little more crunch. Were very good. The fig clippings I took from my twenty five year old trees are sprouting leaves. Will keep them in pots for awhile so I can watch it grow.
They should start giving fruits right away since they are cut from an old tree.
The weather is starting to warm up quickly hitting 80* this week making everything grow.
Norma, We are addicted to the benefits of Moringa. Cannot wait for it to take off this year even I have to cover it again with the new sheets I bought at Goodwill. Will use them like a little green house. Ready to add some fresh potting soil around it with fertilizer to get them going. Glad you were able to get your car fixed by Marty. Know what you mean about about getting jobs. In our area they built a large development called TheVillagesFl that has expanded with about a 100,000 people already into all of Lake county. They have brought jobs & stores to the counties around.

Roberta, I admire how you are able to take care of your family and keep track of everything that is on sale to save money.
_________
Sueanne
Attached Images

Last edited by Sueanne; 02-05-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Norma, that cake sounds yummy. Did it turn out good?

Great deal and savings on the coke Roberta.

Frugal was day 3 staying home and eating from home. Managed to hurt my foot this evening. I think I just got up too fast I'm not sure but it hurts to walk. Heated up some leftover bacon to go with dh's breakfast. Watched the Superbowl and my team won. They didn't play good for most of the game so I'm surprised with the outcome. I had bought some chicken and fries the other day for Superbowl snacks but was very disappointed in how they tasted. I should of just made something myself. I think my taste have changed and a lot of the heat and eat items just don't appeal to me anymore. Have a good start to the week.
Jean
Old 02-05-2017, 07:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sueanne, we were posting at the same time. You do such a good job taking care of your family and keeping them on a healthy path.
Jean
Old 02-05-2017, 07:52 PM
Nine Year Member

Made the self rising DiGiorno Pizza with pepperoni for lunch in the convection toaster oven. Put the slices in the air fryer to give it a little more crunch. Were very good. The fig clippings I took from my twenty five year old trees are sprouting leaves. Will keep them in pots for awhile so I can watch it grow.
They should start giving fruits right away since they are cut from an old tree.
The weather is starting to warm up quickly hitting 80* this week making everything grow.
Norma, We are addicted to the benefits of Moringa. Cannot wait for it to take off this year even I have to cover it again with the new sheets I bought at Goodwill. Will use them like a little green house. Ready to add some fresh potting soil around it with fertilizer to get them going. Glad you were able to get your car fixed by Marty. Know what you mean about about getting jobs. In our area they built a large development called TheVillagesFlorida that has expanded with about a 100,000 people already into all of Lake county. They have brought jobs & stores to the counties around.

Roberta, I admire how you are able to take care of your family and keep track of everything that is on sale to save money.
_________
Sueanne

Old 02-06-2017, 04:39 AM

Good morning all!!

Jean, the cake is delicious. I just made up a chocolate fudge cake mix, then folded in a can of cherry pie filing to the batter, and baked. It took about 10 minutes of extra cooking time. I did it as a sheet cake. Then I just made a chocolate butter cream icing from scratch and frosted it. I normally get a few cake mixes when they go on sale around the holidays and there are coupons.

I know nothing about football anymore. I saw many of the commercials on youtube throughout the day.

You might be going through the phase where your own cooking is the best. Some convenience foods from the grocery store I love - Tyson Chicken Strips and a rotisserie chicken are two of them. I don't care for store cooked ribs, or even the ones that you can take home and cook yourself that are already sauced - too much sauce. But most convenience items just have too much salt in them and with high blood pressure I just can't do that. I know Colleen agrees with me because of her dh's health problems.

I am sometimes feeling very tired after a 10 hour day, but know I have preplanned my meals (meal planning is really helpful when you have a full day) and pre-cooked some of them too. Makes it easy to come in grab dinner, do dishes, go get a shower, and settle in for the evening.

If I can make things that "mix-and-match" as sides, with a couple of meats, I do really well. This week I am making rice, and have salad and cole slaw, as well as quick-to-nuke sweet potatoes to add to the mix.

Roberta, Becky is such a nice younger member of out church, and I am just thrilled that she considers me someone she wants to hang out with. There are lots of moms in our church that she and the boys could have great play dates with, and yet, she and her dh, Josh, who is an "elder" (the youngest one we have ever had), in our church, choose older folks to hang with a lot. We have talked (Pat, my co-worker who goes to a "care circle" to which Josh and Becky belong) and consider them young people with "old souls".

Better go for now. FC is running really slow on my pc this morning.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 02-06-2017, 06:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning, all!
Just a quick check-in. Hope everyone is doing well. I haven't had a chance to read but a couple posts.
Frugal here...keeping up with the meal planning and careful grocery shopping. I received a free full-size deodorant sample in the mail--that was a nice score. Paul and I went to a trivia event Saturday night, and he won a coffee basket that was worth more than our ticket fee and the amount he paid to enter the raffle, so that was a really fun, unexpected win, and we had a really fun time at the event.
Oh, and Norma, I saw you commented on one of my Radish article's online again Thank you very much--I really can't tell you how much I appreciate that! And it's such a fun surprise when I run across something like that! You are such a good friend!
Nothing too terribly earth-shattering going on here. I hope everyone has a great week!
Old 02-06-2017, 11:06 AM
Nine Year Member

Jean, Been married 61 yrs. My Dh who is older than me deserves the extra treatments for all the years He has taken care of our family. Some say I do too much but at his age cannot let him or my son down. He was good to let my Mom live with us until she died at 95 yrs. old with out complaining. Being the oldest of four children instilled in me the caring instinct. Glad I was taught at an early age how to be frugal so we both can enjoy our later years of retirement.
Glad I still have my two sisters and brother that look up to Me. My one sister lives a couple of blocks away from Me. Moved here when her dh passed away. My other sister is coming for a visit now that she is a widow. Hope she buys something here too.

futureteacher, Please send me a pm with your online articles newspaper. Would love to read them too. Have a good week too.
_______
Sueanne

Attached Images

Closed Thread