Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 05:06 PM
Nine Year Member

Trying to use up opened packages of frozen foods in the freezer. Keep them in the freezer in the garage since it will be cooler out there for awhile. Seems the old freezers work better than the newer ones keeping everything
fresh tasting not dried out.
_______
Sueanne

Old 01-09-2017, 08:43 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Norma how much snow did you get over the weekend. We got about 2 inches on Friday and a dusting on Saturday.

We spent the weekend at home. We did go out to karokee on Friday night. Spent about $15. I went out and got gas in my car for the week. Only money spent all weekend.

Charlotte
Old 01-09-2017, 01:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good afternoon!

You have all just been chugging along here!

Charlotte--
That's awesome that you are getting the medical bills paid off and the money put back into savings--way to go!

Sueanne--
I seem to end up with quite a few bags of frozen veggies open in the freezer from time to time. I often end up dumping them into casseroles. Good for you for not letting them go to waste!

Roberta--
You got some great deals on clearance, especially those chocolate chips.

Norma--
I'm praying for Elvia. And no, I haven't picked up any extra writing jobs in a while. After I had recovered from my health issues, it took a while before I had any extra energy, and then I took on the yoga festival. After that, I needed a little break, and then I took the promotion at work, and although it's been rewarding, it's been a LOT of work. I figure I'll pick up extra writing again eventually, but I'll know when the time is right again. Thanks for asking about it

Frugal here...I boiled eggs for some quick, easy breakfasts on work mornings for the week. I made stuffed pepper skillet last night with enough extra to have for a lunch or two for Paul and I. I tackled a bit of cleaning over the weekend at home and did back to back loads of laundry to take advantage of the heat in the dryer. Oh, and we are slowly switching over our light bulbs to the more energy efficient LED lights. That's been Paul's project--all his idea, and he has been picking up the bulbs to replace as they burn out. I also cleaned out the fridge over the weekend and washed down all the shelves. Seems like this cleaning bug hits me every January!

I hope you all have a great night!
Old 01-09-2017, 03:53 PM

Good evening all!!

Roberta, way to go on the savings, and thanks for explaining what that post meant.

Nice to be able to share a meal with family members who you don't see often.

Sueanne, what a cute baking dish. I can see candies being made in it too. And I love those new thinner rolling pins. I have the old fashioned kind. It works real well, so I will be keeping it - and taking it to FL when I move.

I know that my 16 oz. bags of frozen veggies will give me 3 meals. Right now I have one serving of spinach left. I have a full bag of baby lima beans, white sweet corn, and broccoli cuts. The limas and corn are to make succotash, and I have been wanting broccoli, but not enough to buy any of the fresh kind yet.

Charlotte, we got a coating on Friday, and about 8" on Saturday here in EHC. It was really light and fluffy. So....I only used the broom on the stoop on Saturday. Sunday morning I got up, pulled on shoveling gear, and got outside. I was shoveled in about 1/2 an hour, maybe a little longer. It was pretty much just pushing it out of the way. No frozen ice cubes stuck to the road where the plow came through either.

I have been wondering how Ellen made out in her area of PA????

Chris, good to hear from you. Glad you have figured out a solution to your small leftover portions, casseroles can hide a lot of stuff.

Sorry you aren't free lancing the writing. I know how much you really enjoyed it.

I got a good deal on frozen ravioli yesterday - $.99 a bag. I snagged 2 bags. I cooked one whole bag tonight. I used leftover pasta sauce from when I made spaghetti squash. I also took some cheese ends, and grated it to use. So even though I don't know what kind it was - seemed like swiss, but without holes, and was square rather than rectangular, it worked well. And I have enough for tomorrow's lunch, my main meal because of Bible Study tomorrow night, and no real time for dinner.

It is so funny about the light bulbs. I can't get the fluorescent ones to die, so they can be replaced by leds. And I still have some fluorescent ones left, so, I will probably be skipping leds, and going on to whatever comes next. Sad to say!!

I had a good day here. Only went to the garbage can to put out a bag. But while I was out, I took my broom handle, and broke all the icicles hanging from the gutters. Then I opened the back door and got one down that was a good 4" across at the top and about 3' long. Huge.

I filled gel caps 14 each with cinnamon and moringa powder. Finished one hat, made another, and started a 3rd today.

Better go and get the dishes finished, get my jammies on, and get back to that hat.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 01-10-2017, 01:58 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Crochet2 yes our market has the cheese and meat ends to which i get they always come in handy and i truly love our meat clearance cooler,they had a couple of roasts that were 20.00 marked down to 5.00 and a ham that was 25.00 down 4.00 which i got and a big roaster chicken for 3.00 which was 16.00.I always hit those sections first you can do most of your shopping in them i get cereals for a 1.00-1.50 a box and canned goods well,those i stock up on most are 0.50-o.89 i save alot doing this.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:51 AM

Good morning all!!

Going back to work at 7:30 again - YAY! Even though these are 10 hour days, I could not be happier.

Tonight is Bible Study. We have a new space within the church. The space has limited ability for anyone to get past us, and spend the night in the church, which has happened before. A real mess they left too.

It is about 6* out there again, and thankfully I don't have to be in it for too long. It will climb to about 38* by 9 this evening. So while I have to drive on ice this morning to get to work, I won't be by the time I come home from Bible Study this evening.

Better go for now.

Take care everyone who has to be out in bad weather this week.

Norma
Old 01-10-2017, 06:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning!

Norma—
So glad to hear you are able to go back to the schedule you like at work. I think I would really like that too. It’s not an option with our work flow and staffing situation, but who knows—maybe one day!

Meadow—
Those are awesome prices!! Especially on the meat. That’s great that you are able to get those!

Paul had a really fantastic frugal find yesterday. The neighbor behind us had thrown out a large flat screen TV. Paul’s specialty is fixing electronics (he does all of the wiring and stereo systems for the bikes at their bike shop), so he snagged it and took it down to the shop. He managed to get it working, and they are now using it to replace the small screen they were using for their closed circuit TV for their security system. He said it allows them to see so much more and works out so much better—for free!

I realized this morning that my hair dryer is about to go out. It’s sounding funny and the heat is cutting in and out. Luckily, I have a spare, so I won’t have to spend money to replace it. I’ll keep an eye out for a sale down the line so I will have another backup. I’ve been stuck paying full price in the past when one has died on me.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 01-10-2017, 12:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Afternoon all,still staying in . the weather has been wonky, freezing last week, now in the 40s & rain. The winds are gusting at 50 mph. It is very nasty, suppose to turn to ice by Thursday. So it will be awhile before I go out. Frugal is sending others shopping as they are very good at sticking to the list. I've been pretty much eating out of the pantry & freezer. I'm hoping to start in the computer room nest week. Stuff is shoved in the closet, not even sure what. I'm geting rid of craft stuff I dont do anymore too

Old 01-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Nine Year Member

Chris, nice job on the television! also, try taking off the screen in the back intake on the hair dryer and cleaning out the old hair, might work?

Cau, we had ice and now 50F, so that is nice. Car inspection, plus a $250 repair on a tail light assembly, ugh!

Norma, that is a lot of snow!

Meadow, the only time I found deals like that is when I worked at the market, one Christmas they sold giant hams for $2 due to an over order. Glad you got some good meats.

Charlotte, I am very glad you have a good new life. My mother didn't remarry after my dad died and sometimes I wish she had. I think I would have grown up not so afraid of men.

Roberta, I always do like watching a good movie too.

Sueanne, all this talk about moringa, I should see into getting a bush for the yard this summer. Nice buys on the kitchen wares!

I have begun the knitting for Christmas this year. Husband is getting a cardigan, me a vest, and the others very warm slipper socks.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 01-11-2017, 03:32 PM

Good evening all!!

Chris, yes, Paul found an incredible/frugal deal (free is always my price) on that tv. Glad he was able to get it working.

Yes, I love 7:30 to 6pm. Even on the nights I have to come home and rush out the door to make it to Bible Study on time.

I agree on looking now for a good deal on a new hair dryer, I always keep a backup of things that I use all the time, and can be expensive, if not on sale.

Colleen, great on getting everyone to stop and get you the grocery items you need without looking at other items that are no on the list.

Our weather is crazy also. We had all that snow, and I woke up this morning to just grass out there. It now looks bald and a totally wrong color. Our temps tomorrow are upward of 60* and then back down again over the weekend.

Ellen, glad to hear you are thinking ahead to Christmas already, and getting into the spirt of making your presents. My focus however, is on getting moved first.

Not much going on here. Just trying to get through each day with a smile on my face.

Better go for now.

Take care all!! Norma

Closed Thread