Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 07:23 AM

What Did You Do Frugal Today~August 2016

For encouragement in frugal ways--large and small--look no further. This is where we share helpful hints for stretching our money, saving time and making sure we don't waste resources.

Remember, "frugal" does not mean "don't spend money!" It means "be wise with what you spend!"

What Did YOU Do Frugal Today?

Anna
Old 07-31-2016, 06:45 PM

God is so good. Church today was fantastic, we had 3 new people come to be with us today. One is a guy named Sidney who calls in to the prayer line all the time we finally got to meet him. A young couple also came today.. sure hope they come back. And a lot of you have heard me on here stressing about the terrible neighbors I had that just moved out, which was such a relief. We have a new neighbor who absolutely could not be more perfect for us. I met her this evening. She is first and most important a Christian.. praise the Lord. She just got baptized in June. She is a Vet tech for Ohio State University so she is a animal lover. What more could I possibly ask for? Soft spoken, well mannered and friendly. God has answered our prayers in a bigger way than we could possibly have expected. Thank You God.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning, all!

Norma—
I am so sorry to hear that you fell and that it was a bad one! That sounded like a doozey! I hope you heal quickly.

Colleen—
I really enjoy minestrone. I tend to have soup more in the cooler months and salads more often in the summer months—I’m such a creature of habit!

Sueanne—
As usual, you had some great savings there—awesome job!

Roberta—
That was so sweet of your customer to share the jelly. Enjoy your time with Hunter!

Anna—
So glad to hear you are enjoying your church family and that you have a new neighbor you really like. That is wonderful!

Frugal here…gas savings!!! I redeemed my grocery store points yesterday and paid only 18 cents for 20 gallons of gas!!! Yep, 18 cents TOTAL! I couldn’t be more pleased with that

My race on Saturday went well. The weather was about as perfect as it could be for it. I hadn’t trained as much as I would have liked, so 7 miles felt like a bit much, but I got it done, and I lived to tell about it, lol! Spent a little time with some of my running friends before and after, so that was nice. I have another race this Thursday night. This one is only 3 miles, which is really what I prefer to run, and this one benefits military families.

I did a little post-race recovery on Sunday morning at a $5 gentle yoga class. The gentle stretching felt really good and was exactly what I needed after running a very hilly 7 miles.

The garden is really rolling now. We have lots of peppers and tomatoes, and we have begun freezing the extras. We had our first BLTs of the season Saturday night, and they were delicious. Paul and his mom and I went to the farmer’s market after the race and we got some fresh bread to use for them too—yum! We picked up a few other goodies while we were there—green beans, peaches, and a couple of other things I can’t think of right now.

We ran some errands yesterday—made a WalMart run and saved over $10 with coupons clipped from the morning’s paper.

All for the moment—have a great day, everyone!
Old 08-01-2016, 08:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

subbing
Old 08-01-2016, 08:52 AM

Good afternoon all!!

Anna, how wonderful that you have a neighbor that you love. It sounds like you two have some things in common, and that is always great when it comes to neighbors.

Chris, wonderful about the race. If it is too long for you, shy away. You don't need to be hurting yourself either.

The fall was bad, but certainly could have been worse. I am practically healed. The arms aren't sore anymore. My knee feels so much better, and the other one is fine. God is to be praised for my healing.

I slept in this morning, til 7:30 - very late for me. I got up and had a piece of cheese cake for breakfast. It is so good. It was only an 8 oz. block of cream cheese, a can of sweetened condensed milk and 5 eggs. So easy too. It is definitely on my list of things to make on a regular basis (not every week, but certainly when I am in the mood for sweets).

I set up my table and put my gel caps together for the week - 14 turmeric and 14 cinnamon, then got the rest of the meds together. After that, I got myself out to the garage and started re-packing yarn to take to the church for the yardsale. I had to repack everything because the bags were dryrotting on their own. My entire back seat is filled with yarn, and my trunk is semi-filled with some other things.

Starting over is going to fun, and thoughtful this time. I have quite a few things in there that I have never used, even a mystery box from QVC. I opened it, and it is an air filtration system that, when I bought it, I had no place to put it, and had intended to open it when I did.

This afternoon I plan to put the yarn inside out in the car too. And that does not count the yarn in the sterilite totes in the garage, that I have to dig past the packs of toilet paper that I am planning to take with me. It will free up those totes too, to be filled with essentials that I am taking.

I am going to see if Alice can open the church tonight as well as Wednesday evening for me.

I was able to see the traffic about my house - 238 looks online, but no showings at all. I am praying for a quick sale, and would ask you all to pray that prayer with me.

I also found an entire box of books that will go to the library tomorrow night. My cloth tote that I have been using to take books, decided that I am carrying too many at a time, and ripped. Never fear, I have many, many more!

Better go and get back to it, before I run out of steam.

Lunch was a tomato sandwich - from what I bought yesterday at the produce market.

Dinner will be left over pork roast, some cole slaw and maybe some mac'n'cheese.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 08-01-2016, 08:54 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Happy August. Busy month for me. Both the boys and my father have birthdays. Dan and I have some plans for the next few weekends. I have been very frugal lately. Need to be the heat pump replacement put a big dent in my savings.

I have an appointment with my financial adviser next week. I need to go over some stuff with him.

Dan and I have be cleaning up the garage. We found a bunch of wooden spindles from than old pool deck. They have been in the rafters over 20 yrs. We reused them to make a walkway in my one huge flowerbed. This saves us from walking thru the mulch all the time.

We shampooed carpets over the weekend and rearranged the livingroom and familyroom. Working on getting things ready for the winter. It will be here before you know it.

Have a wonderful Monday everyone.

Charlotte
Old 08-02-2016, 03:00 AM

Good morning all!!

Charlotte, repurposing is always good.

I am on this morning to tell everyone that I probably won't be on much the next few days.

I had a water pipe break somewhere in the house, and the city has turned off my water.

I am staying with Elwood's father and his wife Sally. This came about when I had to call him to find out where the inside water meter is, and of course, after 27 years, he has no idea. We can find the outside one that gets read, but not the inside one. He and Sally came and made the invitation immediately. So I will be back and forth.

I guess that after the fall on Friday, and jamming my finger into the quick and it bleeding later Friday, this is the 3rd thing.

The man from the city was wonderful. They don't normally come inside a house, but I explained that I have no one to call or to help, so he was kind enough to do so.

Took an entire car load of stuff to Alice's and have lots more.

So that is it - and I am taking my dishes to work to wash them. It would be weird to do them at Sally's home.

Better go for now. Norma
Old 08-02-2016, 04:09 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Norma hope the water line gets fixed soon.

We ate dinner at home last night. Had steaks, corn on the cob and watermelon. Made brownies, pudding and jello for snacks.

Packed my lunch today with leftovers. I made a spinach salad to have most of the week.

Not much else going on here.

Charlotte
Old 08-02-2016, 05:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning!

Norma—
I am so sorry to hear about the pipe break, but I am glad you were able to quickly find somewhere to stay until it is fixed and that the man from the city was so nice. And don’t you worry about me overdoing it with running. If ever I need to back off, I do—running three miles is my “easy” run, though, and the 7 mile race provides a nice challenge.

Charlotte—
Your dinner sounds delicious—a perfect summer meal, for sure! Enjoy your leftovers! I was thinking that about fall and winter too…just around the corner, aren’t they? If you look close here, you can just start to see a couple of varieties of trees starting to turn.

Frugal here…brining lunch and snacks from home and planning to read one of my library books at lunch today, so no gas wasted. I bought my new running shoes over the weekend too—I combined money Mom gave me for my birthday with a 20% off coupon, and only paid $3 out of pocket for them.

All for the moment—have a good Tuesday!
Old 08-02-2016, 12:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Norma sending prayers for a quick & cheap solution to your pipe problem. So glad you with friends

Charlotte things sound good, I am so happy for you

Chris great going on the shoes

My youngest is fighting depression again so I'm trying to get her into dr. She does not like the last pills but I am praying there are others. It does run in both our families. Prayers would be appreciated. Not frugal was tossing my soup from Sunday. I over cooked it & I thought tasteless, I hate waste but yuck is yuck

Closed Thread