Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 07:28 AM

Good morning again!

Went to church, but have also been getting stuff together to go. I gave Sue a couple of gift sets that I won't use (had them for awhile and was never interested), offered a Bed Bath & Body Works large winter tote bag to one of my church members who has one really similar, and loves it to death. I know how it is to find something you like, use it up, and then can't find it again.

I set the Rubbermaid gift wrapping containers, a lot of gift bags, and a Christmas cardboard box (that I just couldn't bear to break up and put in recycling) out at the curb. Hopefully someone is driving past that really can use them.

I forgot to tell you all that the real estate agent was quite impressed with my collection of shampoo/conditioner for free, and my 6 reams of paper that were $.01 for a case after rebate. His mouth and jaw went slack. Said he needs to do some learning from me.

Roberta, sounds like you got some meat bargains.

I still have lots of green grass out there, hot as it has been. I don't know what the variety of grass is that is still green, but it is terrific. I need to remember to take a few shoots with roots and re-plant in some areas where the older grass is brown. But not until after we get a good rain and the temps go down. It was 94* on my way back from church at 10:30 this morning.

I will sacrifice something else to get red bell peppers. But of course, I am just by myself, and don't have to feed a family, or I might make the choice you do.

I went to the produce market after church and picked up lettuce, tomatoes (mine aren't giving me too many at a time), onions, peaches and cukes.

Better go for now, and get some more de-cluttering done, so I will be ready when the guys come to fix that pipe. I will be tossing a lot of plastic ware that I have just held on to or added to the mix, and don't need to transport because I still have quite a few sets from when ACME was giving out coupons that the next one you bought was free, and I went and cleaned out 2 stores in one afternoon. So I will take the new, still packaged and get rid of the rest.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 08-14-2016, 11:24 AM
Nine Year Member

Norma could work or the church use the plastic ware? If people wanted to take home part of their lunch, etc. and wouldn't need to worry about bringing it back.

I use one of the Rubbermaid gift wrap container in the kitchen and it holds dog food.

Roberta
Old 08-14-2016, 11:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good afternoon,

It's a rainy Sunday here. I am recuperating from yesterday, lol. The baby shower for Rachel was great. We had horrible storms, torrential rain but we ended up having about 18 people there. I hadn't planned on anything big anyway. I'll post some pics, don't want to overload you. After Rachel got home from her running after the shower I went to unload my truck and then stayed to help her organize. The baby's room, the floor, was littered in gift bags. I set up a system, one big bag for baby books (we requested), one for diaper wipes, one for the misc. things like lotion, A&D ointment, etc, one for stuffed animals, one large bag to hold folded gift bags. It took me an hour to keep going in and out, handing her clothes where she sat on the floor sorting them and taking off tags. Before my son in law got home from work we had the room cleared of everything but the boxes of things that needed to be put together, high chair, pack n play, misc. things. He was amazed, lol! Rachel cleared a few things out of the bookshelf unit and I put the baby books into it. We only had 2 books that had doubles, pretty impressive actually.

Megan and Alyssa and Alyssa's boyfriend were huge helps. It's nice the girls being older, lol. The day before the shower Alyssa, her bf and I went shopping for food, misc things. We were famished and stopped at Steak N Shake. The bill was $24 and with my coupons I got it down to $15 If I hadn't had coupons we would not have stopped. At Walmart I had $5 in coupons. I'm not as on my coupon game as I was, not to mention the manufacturers are giving coupons I don't use, buy 3 to get so much off, ummm, no.

I can't remember if I posted on here but I did indeed get the job. I start as soon as my replacement is trained and then they will transfer me next door. Down side, 3 month probationary period at the rate of pay I am at now. But, the jump after that 3 months will be significant so, 3 more months....

Hope you all have a blessed Sunday, here's a few pics, well a pic. I have to resize some.

Lisa
Attached Images

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Norma I am so happy it is not as expensive as you feared. Yoga is a great idea!

Anna thats a lot of peanut butter. We eat a lot as they put ir on their bagels & English muffins but I guess I'm ok with the low salt stuff from Aldi's

Roberta red peppers are my fave too. I buy less to get them

Chris & Sueanne keep up the good work

Lisa I saw on FB you got the job. I am thrilled for you! So glad the shower was a success

Quiet Sunday here. Communion came yesterday but watched Mass & made breakfast. Browned & put pork roast in the crockpot. It is just too hot for the oven even though we prefer it that way. Picked up green beans & new potatoes at the FM yesterday so making them to go with dinner with corn bread. We went out to dinner last night while not frugal it was a lot of fun

Old 08-15-2016, 03:40 AM

Good morning all!!

Don't go to work until 8:30 today so am getting some more stuff out the door.

Someone did pick up the gift wrap containers, with the rolls inside. Happy to have that gone for sure.

Roberta, the stuff I have stuffed on those shelves in the back of the bedroom, no, no one would want them - the ones that are brand named and not the myriad of the sour cream, yogurt, or peanut butter and mayonnaise jars are so, so old and actually yukky at this point. And I am really looking at them with a critical eye. I am taking an old Visions Ware bowl with a plastic lid to work for using in the microwave for a bowl of soup, etc. Or when we have meals there, for leftovers.

One can filled this morning, I had to just stop yesterday afternoon because it was so hot, even the screen door handle was too hot to handle. So I started again this morning.

I also had filled capsules with turmeric and cinnamon yesterday, so got my pills set up in the organizer this morning.

I am taking the meat slicer to Alice today for her church.

I am keeping the other large thermos I have (now 2) that are 1/2 gallon each for the move. I use one daily to take iced tea in now to work, so I know 2 will be useful for the trip when I go.

Well, better go for now. I need to get lunch together - a salad with some meat and cheese on it.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 08-15-2016, 04:48 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Very hot and humid this week. Dan takes lots of drinks sense he is out in it all day. I am in the office and alot of people are on vacation this week. So hopefully that means a quiet week for me.

We ordered out for pizza last night. Tonight we will eat stuff from the house. I am going to grill pork chops. I will make a side dish with zucchini from the garden.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Charlotte
Old 08-15-2016, 06:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Good morning everyone,

Norma good job on getting de-cluttered. Are you back in your house yet or are you still staying with your friends?

Anna, could you share the name and author of the Pressure Canning for Dummies book? I need to get one for myself.

I've been busy this weekend, put up 10 qrts peaches and made a cobbler. Also took care of lots of zucchini's, froze some in slices, ground some up for breads and I have some in the dehydrator.
Today I'm going to make and can some veg soup I need to use up some veg I have here; carrots, onions, cabbage, tomatoes, peppers and celery. Mostly I use this as a base and add meat and noddles to later on.

Everyone have a great day!
Old 08-15-2016, 11:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi, all!

Norma—
It’s fun when you can impress a cashier with your savings, isn’t it? Good for you on that! Glad to hear that the issue with the plumbing is coming to a close. That has felt like a long haul, even from this side of it. And I would highly encourage you to try yoga. Many people feel like it’s a rigorous physical practice (and it can be, if that’s the type of class you choose), but there are all kinds of classes out there, and one to fit everyone. If you do end up trying it, I hope you find something you like!

Charlotte—
I hope you enjoyed your time camping. I haven’t been in forever, and I miss it. It’s not really Paul’s cup of tea—and definitely not his kids’.

Sueanne—
I’m with you—I love peppers and them to so many of my recipes. Happy to hear the papayas are coming on so well this year.

Roberta—
That’s awesome on the freebies at Sam’s! And on the event at the park. Sounds like fun.

Lisa—
The baby shower sounds wonderful! Hard to believe you’re going to be a grandmother—you always seem way too young for that, but I suppose time has a way of passing, doesn’t it? Love the pic you posted!!

Colleen—
I thought of you today—our temps are cooler here today, and I’m hoping you get those temps near you as well. Glad you had fun at dinner out!

Laurie—
If I lived near you, I’d be on your doorstep with a spoon begging for cobbler, lol! Love the stuff, but I rarely make it because I can’t be trusted with it. I’ll eat the whole dish myself, and that’s not a joke! Great job on putting up 10 quarts of peaches!!

Frugal here…
We went to my friend’s son’s birthday party Friday night, and it was such a wonderful time. We all left well fed, that’s for sure. A neighboring town was putting on a fireworks show, and we were able to see it from the yard. Dinner on Saturday was at a wedding—some delicious homemade fried chicken made by the bride’s sister. Yum!

We picked more tomatoes and peppers this weekend. I made a goulash with them Sunday night for dinner—made a double batch so we would have some for lunches. We did our meal planning and grocery shopping Sunday too. We were able to use some good coupons at one of the local grocery stores for some deals that came with one $20 purchase (we were already planning to spend the $20, and the other items were all things we could use and/or were planning to buy). Everything else came from Aldi’s.

Hope you all have a great Monday!
Old 08-16-2016, 05:52 AM
Nine Year Member

I'm making a list for Walgreens, CVS & Petco today and a credit union in that town is doing a free community lunch so I will be stopping there as well.

https://www.zantacotc.com/freebate mail in rebate with printable coupon at zantacotc.com and cash back at CVS makes it a money maker or free at any other store.

If you use Alpo canned dog food there is a 6/$2.00 coupon http://bricks.coupons.com/Start.asp?...=PR&p=eIAOJw5S

coupons.com has Tombstone pizza 2/$1.00 plus 1/$1.00 on their Roadhouse pizza (whatever that is).

It is still raining today, the yards have really greened up.

Roberta
Old 08-16-2016, 07:29 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Chris I love camping. Dan enjoys it also. I am lucky for that.

Dan made homemade spaghetti sauce last night. He also pickled hot peppers. He used tomatoes, greenpeppers and hot peppers from the garden. He canned all of it so we have some for later.

I will be making spaghetti and meatballs for dinner tonight.

Charlotte

Closed Thread