Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 11:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good afternoon!!

Roberta—
Nice going redeeming the points for the GCs! $85 is a nice chunk!

Charlotte—
So sorry to hear about your parents’ barn! Glad to hear that they are OK, and their cat too. How scary!

Colleen—
I’ve been thinking of you with this hot, humid weather. Hopefully we will be getting a break from it soon.

Anna—
Sometimes those trips out for dinner just happen. I think they can be worth it in the long run—we all need a break now and then. How wonderful that your new neighbor is such a great addition to the neighborhood! Sounds like the two of you will do well being neighborsJ

Sueanne—
I do enjoy the B1G1 sales-glad you were able to take advantage of them. Good thinking looking ahead tooJ

Norma—
Your plumbing issues have taken a frustrating turn, for sure. Hope it all gets resolved soon.

Laurie—
Enjoy those ripe tomatoesJ

Frugal here…needed to fill up the gas tank again and had another 60 cents off per gallon to use. Not as good as the nearly free gas, for sure, but I’ll take it! I was able to take advantage of an online deal for half price yoga classes at one of the studios I like here in town, so that was a nice savings. I also used a $10 reward at Gordman’s combined with a 20% off coupon toward greeting cards and a birthday gift for one of my friend’s kids. It’s his party for his 10th birthday tonight, and Paul and I are taking Zach.

All for now. Have a great weekend!!
Old 08-12-2016, 12:03 PM
Nine Year Member

Anna all I can say about the peanut butter is ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My sister's go through a jar a week. I'm sure my math isn't figured correctly volume vs weight, etc but 55 gallons is 440 2 cups for $.14 a 16oz jar?????????? that is crazy. You could get 8 families together for 52 jars ea for $7.50 for the peanut butter plus processing.

Peanut's aren't nuts they are a legume part of the pea family the same way a tomato is a fruit not a veggies. Some of our food like to play dress up!

Roberta
Old 08-12-2016, 04:24 PM

Roberta

Yeah I felt really dumb about the peanuts. It just was never something I thought about.

Today I went to Birthright, thankfully I stopped at the bank for allowance money first.

I found dress pants for 75 cents a pair, they all fit. A pair of Capri's for 75 cents and a pair of jeans for 75 cents. The jeans have a hole in the leg that I didn't notice will either put a patch on or make into shorts. I got a lot of books all 25 cents each, got a bundt cake pan for 75 cents. Disposable aluminum pans for 50 cents each large with a lid. 3 books that were particularly exciting is Pressure Canning For Dummies, a 1980 Ball Blue Book and a Kerr canning book also 1980's never seen a Kerr book before. I'll be interested to see what kind of recipes are in them. All the books were 25 cents except one hard bound book that was $1.00.

Anna
Old 08-13-2016, 06:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Anna, you did awesome at the thrift store! Score!!!

Don't feel dumb about the peanuts, I didn't know they grew in the ground either. Never gave it much thought.

I did pretty well myself at the thrift store last Thursday. I have been looking for a corning ware loaf pan for the longest time, mine broke many years ago. It was also a second hand find. I used it for many years but it must have gotten bumped at some point as it split in half. Anyway the pans were running anywhere from 9.99 to 15.99 on ebay with about 15.00 shipping, eek! That is nuts. Anyway I got one for 2.99!

Also 3 tablecloths the long ones 6.99 ea, not bad as they are usually 25.00 or more and a nice Levi denim shirt for knock around, will probably wear it in the winter over a t shirt.

Well, best get going many things to do today.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:25 AM
Nine Year Member

Chris- I usually check the paper on Wednesday to see what is on sale starting the next day. Can go that week or wait until the next one. Usually try to wait ten days so only go three times instead of four. The b1g1 free usually puts me ahead on everything I need and I can spend more and save.

Norma - Hope everything gets solved this weekend.

Charlotte - Sorry to hear about Your parents barn with the water leak.

Anna - Good deals at the thrift store.

LauriS - Good deals at the thrift store for You too.

Roberta - We will be having whole chickens this week for 99 cents too.
It has been the hottest summer this year in Florida broke records.

________
Sueanne

Old 08-13-2016, 09:57 AM

Good afternoon all!!

Roberta, you know that if you start feeling badly - get home, and stay, until it passes.

Charlotte, stuffed pepper soup sounds pretty much like the unstuffed pepper casserole, maybe with some broth added??

Hope you have a great time camping this weekend. It is way too hot here to try to go outside, let alone be there for any length of time.

Anna, I would buy into that peanut butter barrel too! I probably don't eat as much as you and David do, but in the summer, my breakfast is usually pb on crackers. I certainly could do 52 jars for $7.50 total. But of course someone would have to pay for gas and tolls, and probably a hotel room or two to go get either from Alabama or GA, so the total per jar would be more.

You got some really great deals at the thrift shop. The pants are a great price even if you only wear them a few times.

Chris, you are doing a great job on all fronts. I really need to try to get into a yoga class - all the stress in my life, needs to go somewhere. I pray, and give it to God, but the body could use a little on the physical side too.

Now for the plumber's report - I do not need to have them run a whole new line from the street in. The owner came out, cut a couple of holes, one in the wall, and one in the subfloor of my bedroom closet and found the meter - between the subfloor and the slab, under the refrigerator. And found the leak - near the meter, near the water heater, between the subfloor and the slab. Not a fun thing, but not nearly as expensive as running a whole new line. They will need to cut another hole, and then cut the pipe on either side of the broken pipe and put in a new piece.

After he left, I went to the bank, and then to Kohl's to spend that free $10. The cashier, a male, was really impressed. I only bought a new instant read thermometer. I was looking for sox, but couldn't find any I liked.

Then I took myself to BJ's because it was after 11 and I could get that hotdog for lunch. I was there so long. The line at the deli was very long, the person who waited on me was older, and wanted to talk to everyone in line. Took me a good 1/2 hour to get to my number. Then when I went to check out, my card said it expired. So another 20 minutes in line there, to get that straightened out. They found it in the computer, and fixed it. Luckily I had texted Elwood to let him know I had taken Amanda off, and put him on, the day I renewed so it gave them a date to look at.

The plumber called while I was out to say he thought he left his flashlight, maybe in the hole he cut. So once home, I looked and found it. I have a heavy box over the hole right now, and the flashlight is still in there. I can't get it without getting down on my hands and knees, and I can't get back up easily.

But, getting all the stuff off the closet floor out is a blessing. Makes me go through it now. There are boxes to go into recycling, and I am taking a couple of holiday gift sets to Sue when I pick her up tomorrow morning. And I will get to pack a few things for transport when I leave.

It is 98* out there with a heat index of 105-106*. Way too hot.

Better go and get some stuff done.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 08-13-2016, 02:21 PM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Norma yes the 2do sound alike. I do put beef broth in my soup

Susanne my parents had a fire. The lost the barn/3 car garage. The fire spread to there house. They will be out of there home for probably 8 months.

Camping until tomorrow. We had hotdogs and potato salad for dinner

Charlotte
Old 08-13-2016, 06:22 PM
Nine Year Member

Charlotte - Sorry about your parents home getting destroyed by the fire. I was typing and the line from Norma's went on yours about her leak. I am happy that they are alright. I always worry about fires with the high temperatures we have been having and the wiring in the attic.

I love peppers and add them to everything I cook. So far my pepper plants keep coming back every year. Still have some papaya frozen in the freezer from last years crop. My Papaya trees are loaded with green fruit that should ripen by next month. They love the heat and are really filling out. They love the frozen banana & fruit peels I puree and feed them. Takes a lot of extra time being frugal but it pays off!
_______
Sueanne

Old 08-14-2016, 03:25 AM

Good morning all!!

The realtor came by yesterday afternoon also and we reduced the house price somewhat. He had a youtube video of the house made of the photos he took before I started doing any decluttering. There is a link on my facebook page if you might be interested.

Sueanne, I love the red, orange and yellow peppers. The green ones don't have the same appeal as the other colors to me. I know that the red ones have the most vitamin C too. I love them raw, in salads or just as strips to be eaten out of hand too.

Glad you have enough papaya to last until the next crop comes in.

Better go for now. Almost time to go to church. It is already in the mid-80's and very, very humid this morning.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 08-14-2016, 04:49 AM
Nine Year Member

I like the colored peppers better as well but I do not like the price! $1.50 vs 2/$1.00 so I buy the green ones unless I luck out and the red/yellow are on sale.

I picked up a pork loin $1.69 lb and 2 beef roasts $3.99 and plan on cooking them in the crock pot and freezing most of them into meal sizes vs having canned meats.

We are getting much needed rain this weekend so when the grass greens up again will be mowing. There are trees already turning here and there in town from the lack of rain and the heat.

Yesterday we went to an event at the park for a free lunch (hotdog, carrot/celery sticks, pretzels, water) and dd2 received a backpack with some school supplies. At the end of the event they were giving away the helium balloons and we brought home 6 of them.

Found out that Sams Club does their free health checks EVERY month on the 2nd Saturday. They gave me a coupon to take to the pharmacy for a free protein bar plus a goodie bag that had a pocket tissue, 2 pencils, 1 ink pen, a probiotic sample and a fruit chew.

Roberta

Closed Thread