Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:38 PM

What Did You Do Frugal Today~March 2015

For encouragement in frugal ways--large and small--look no further. This is where we share helpful hints for stretching our money, saving time and making sure we don't waste resources.

Remember, "frugal" does not mean "don't spend money!" It means "be wise with what you spend!"

What Did YOU Do Frugal Today?

Anna
Old 02-28-2015, 04:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Good morning All,

Continuing from Feb. posts

Cheryl, My prayers go out to your family.

Connie, I'm glad your DD is better.

Today it is 3 yrs since my DS Son passed from cancer.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:30 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

Good morning.
Thank you all.

LAURIES - HUGS - anniversaries are so hard.

I got a FB message from CHRIS. She is in the hospital and wanted everyone to know she may be MIA for a bit. She had horrible abdominal pain. Dr. not sure if there is some sort of infection/abcess in colon area or diverticulitis. Not sure where she stands yet - surgery or not. She should find out more today and will let me know. I will keep you updated.

ANNA - that's how I feel about Hospice. They do keep your pain under control, but you are out of it. Quality vs. quantity? I know I would wish everyone quality even if it means a shorter time on earth. Drugged up to the hilt is not living to me.
I can't imagine what sis and his kids are going through.

Take care gals. I pray for all of you and your families daily.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:47 AM

Good morning all!

Cheryl, I feel so badly for your sister's dh, and of course, the rest of the family. It is such a sad situation.

Connie, where was that counter with the peanuts? I know how careful you all are. Glad she is feeling better though.

Roberta, I hope you are able to get in today for that blood draw.

Found skunk tracks going around my house yesterday morning, and bird prints too. I knew it was a skunk because of the fragrance in the middle of the night. The bird prints are so cute, they look just like stick figure ones we would draw.

Went to part of a function at my supervisor's church here in town. The kids who sign up do a 30 hour fast, collect money beforehand, and sleep over in the church, and do lot of games, etc. It is for WorldVision who help fight hunger worldwide. Over the past 17 years this church alone has raised over $25,000 for the organization. They had a Praise and Worship Band come for about an hour of music last night. It was great. I am glad I went.

I opened another of the bags I stored the free toilet paper in, and found a receipt, dated 5/09/10. It is amazing to me that I have not had to buy any since that time, and still have more bags (I put 4 rolls in each bag) out in the garage. I have no idea how much money I have saved, but it has allowed me to have a better quality of life, along with using all the other coupons I have over the years. What amazed me at the time, was that most people just sent in the coupons for the free, then $1 off, the $.50 off a single roll, without even trying it. Mostly because they are "brand loyal".

Sorry to get on personal "soap box", but I just get crazy when I try to help people with coupons or free products and they won't even try. My sister took the tp when she was totally without money, along with the free garbage bags (I have only a couple of bags left, no more boxes), but the moment she had any money - didn't want it anymore, it wasn't her "brand". I had also gotten several free tp from Rite Aid, took them to her, told her how to go get more, with her Rite Aid card, and she didn't go.

Doug bought spaghetti dinner tickets for a fundraiser at Alice's church for next Saturday. He gave 2 to Elwood, and asked if I wanted the other 2. Am I going to turn them down? So I called Dar, a) to see if she wanted to go to the church with me last night, and b) to see if she wanted to go to the dinner next weekend. I got a no thank you to the first, and she didn't say yes to a free dinner next weekend. She will "think about it". But if she won't go, I will just get take out and freeze the 2nd one for another time. Again, sorry about the rant. But if you are borrowing money a couple times a month, and obviously having trouble with same, save yourself the cost of one/two meals (the portions are huge), if someone offers you a free meal. I just don't understand.

I found out by asking Doug that my family is qualified to buy our auto insurance from USAA because of my father being in the service. And that it is less expensive. I thought you had to have a certain rank, but he says no. That means that Dar and even down to Elwood will qualify. I will get the details, what I can find from their website and then pass it on.

Better go for now. Take care all!! Norma

Old 02-28-2015, 04:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Cheryl, When you hear from Chris tell her I'm praying for her.

Just like everyone here, you all are my daily prayers.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Norma, I hear you on the Free dinners etc.

It has been a struggle for me to get my DH to come around to the frugal way of thinking.
Now that he is retired it's kind of sinking in. It's only been a year so I have my work cut out for me.
Instead of throwing away things I get him to think outside the box on how to put something else to another use.

And on the Free dinners etc, I think because he grew up poor he thinks there is some stigma to accept a Free thing, et al like charity.

I think of my Dad a lot and what he taught us as kids, smashing tin cans etc for the garbage.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:06 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

NORMA - you are "preaching" to the choir with me! I so agree with you. Some people just never get it.
Glad you had a nice evening.

LAURIES - will do.

My sister just called and Mike went Home to be with his Lord and Savior last night about 11:30. He went to sleep and never woke. Peaceful. My thanks to our Lord.
She is in such a state of shock. So am I for that matter.
I was getting ready to go to the hospital when she called, so I will be going down to the house to see if there is anything I can do for her. And HUG her.
Please pray for her and the kids.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Cheryl, I'm so sorry to hear the news. At last he is at peace.

Sending my Hugs to you all.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:34 AM
Nine Year Member

Cheryl,

Prayers being said for Mike, and all of the family.

Prayers and best wishes to Chris.

So much news to comment on, having been absent for a few days.

Congratulations Anna, on the birth of Maddie's son. So sorry to hear about the stress that you and David are under, especially with the funding of surgery. I do not understand your healthcare system, but it sounds complicated and stressful just when you don't need the worry.

I am ok, just very tired and fibromyalgia is therefore playing up. We sat in a three hour meeting yesterday with a new mortgage provider and all being well we are back on track with the purchase of our next home. I do hope so, prices are shooting up very fast at the moment. My niece and her boyfriend are hoping to buy their first flat, in London and they are having to try and source over 500,000!/$771,000. Ridiculous. I feel for the younger generation.

Off to put some washing on.

Take care all.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:38 AM

Cheryl

This is so sad it brought tears to my eyes but I am glad for him that he did not have to suffer but so hard for the family to not get a chance to get prepared more for this. God bless all.

Anna

Closed Thread