Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 02:30 PM
Assistant Moderator

I heard loud thumps today and I was the only one in the room.

I tried the mashed cauliflower, with egg and cheese, fried into patties. Oh my gosh. It is so good. We will have the rest of it with fried ham and kale for dinner.

Frugal was finishing the pillowcase I started for Jasmine last month. Giz is feeling good today. She barked at me to get busy if I wasn't at the sewing machine. I am in LOVE with this new machine.

Tomorrow is thrift store shopping and I can't wait. I have been so down in the dumps this week.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:37 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

ELLEN - wonder what it was? Good going on eating before going to the grocery.

CHRIS - Oh golly I have to dye mine and cut it too this weekend. Love being able to do it all at home. It sure comes do often it seems.

JOANNE - About 8 weeks ago that happened with our HP laptop. I got a new cord as well for FREE of charge.

OTHER FRUGALS
I got a $20 rewards card for Off. Dep. today to use before 3/31.
Made tea. Filled all the feeders with what we have here.

Cleaned out all 5 kitchen drawers. Threw away a bunch of stuff, have some to donate. They look so nice now.
I have the 2 in the old washstand (where microwave sits) to do tonight.

Meals from home. Had very tasty large homemade chef salads tonight. Mmmmm!

Not quite as cold tonight. Loving the sunshine.
Have a lovely evening.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:57 PM

Good evening all!!

Ellen, see today you were actively thinking about being frugal so you found some things.

Anna, I put a little vanilla extract in my pancakes and even though it doesn't say to, I put it in my baked oatmeal (cake) too. A drop or two helps bring out the flavor of a lot of things, even if you are not looking for a "vanilla" flavor. Sorta like putting just a pinch of nutmeg in with beef pot roast. You don't taste it as "nutmeg flavor", it just adds to the deliciousness of the dish.

Cheryl, as long as you didn't invite whatever it was into your home (superstitious folk thinking), you should be ok.

Sounds like you had a good "run" today, with all the places you went.

JoAnne, they just announced on the news that Target has 133 stores in Canada and will be closing them all. If there is one near you, you might be able to get some good deals as they reduce prices to reduce store and close the stores.

Hope the surgeon has made the best decision for your dd about her ankle.

Chris, sounds like and Paul have it pretty much all together when it comes to handling the nights Paul has the kids.

Way to go bringing a lunch and snacks with you daily.

I am going to go crochet with the ladies at the library this evening. I am taking one woman some books with baby patterns as her dd is having another.

Also taking a movie back and hopefully there will be more for the weekend.

Dinner is the rest of the leftover chili over rice (still have more rice left) and a salad.

Better go for now. Take care all!! Norma
Old 01-15-2015, 04:17 PM
Nine Year Member

Could the thumping/noise have been from ice falling off the house or cracking on the sidewalks?

Loaded up the cans and scrap metal to take to the recycling center tomorrow. I have a van load will be interesting to see how much I get.

Roberta
Old 01-15-2015, 05:25 PM

Roberta

Speaking of scrap metal, reminded me. While I was at work yesterday someone jumped over the fence in our backyard and stole 2 trash cans full of pop cans. GRRR! Earlier in the fall they stole big bags I had in the driveway. I have not had a chance to take them to the recycle place since summer and have actually been throwing them away since Christmas but those two in the back yard were in heavy plastic bags in aluminum trash cans with the lids.. I'm surprised they didn't steal the lids too. Really makes me angry and I feel violated. This happened once before in 2009 same time of the year too.

I ended up going to Graceland shopping center today to the Krogers there to make sure they had Cocoa's dog food, bought some sweet potatoes and plan to dehydrate those this weekend and see how the girls like them for doggy treats. That was a suggestion a member put on the Prudent Homemaker site this week. I forgot to look at the list for the doggy cookie recipes I found I know it used Pumpkin but can't remember what else.

Well I'm off to bed.. we watched a good movie from Netflix streaming tonight. Paul Walker in Brick Mansion. It just came out on streaming last week. I saw there is a series that just came up too called "Salem" looks like a documentary type thing on witches. Something to put on our list to watch later or in between movies. We got 2 DVD's today but held off till this weekend to watch them.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Anna
Old 01-15-2015, 05:27 PM

Mish

Btw.. meant to mention. Mish contacted me thru FB yesterday. Her laptop crashed/broke? and she lost her password to get in to FC. I sent the info. to the IT people here and got the instructions on what to tell her to do, passed it on and hopefully she'll be back on soon.

Anna
Old 01-15-2015, 06:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hello friends,

Tomorrow's frugal will be making my own instant oatmeal packets from an online recipe. I have been using the Quaker low sugar apples and cinnamon and it's good but still too much sugar and I sometimes find pieces of apple seed in it. I bought all the ingredients I need from the bulk bins at Winco including dried Apple slices.

I had a doctor appt. Tuesday and he diagnosed me with spinal stenosis. I knew my back pain was getting worse but didn't realize there was a name for it. He wants me to go to PT and learn exercises to help reduce the pain. Then yesterday was a dental appt, thought I had a cracked tooth, ex rays showed nothing, he gave me sensitive toothpaste and sent me on my way.

Today I went to the newspaper and put in an ad in remembrance of John with two pictures of him in it. Our paper only comes out weekly on Wednesday and next week's will be on the anniversary of his death.

We are back to typical winter temps here this week, high 50's and low 60's for highs. Although this weekend it is supposed to be 70 both days, will be nice for people to get out and enjoy.

Sorry to hear about so many have coughs and other illnesses. I stay in the house a lot and have been very lucky lately and haven't caught anything. I did go to one dgs's basketball game Tuesday night. I think he has 3 more home games this season. Next year he starts high school and wants to try wrestling and track.

Jacki
Old 01-15-2015, 06:51 PM
Nine Year Member

Anna, I am so glad to not live in Columbus. I have an old style hospital bed with mattress under a tarp, double folding table, 6 folding chairs, a dining tent with posts, 4 bags of mulch and a wagon full of limbs in my driveway against the garage door. I'm sure the neighbors just love it LOL. The back porch is now about half cleared off so that will look better from the street! I'm really interested to see what they give me tomorrow for it all.

Roberta
Old 01-16-2015, 04:14 AM

Good morning all!!

Anna, thanks for note about Ann, I was wondering where she got off to - I figured "life" got in the way.

Sorry that you were robbed again. And that is what it is, robbed. Did you check with your other neighbors to see if anything was missing from their yards also? I would call the police station, and make a formal complaint - maybe they just slacked off patrolling your area.

I saw that about the sweet potato treats too. I might made some (one potato's worth) to see if my sister's dog likes them. I have seen her turn down store bought treats that she didn't even like the smell of.

Jacki, it is always better to make your own where diabetes or other health conditions are concerned. I buy unsweetened cinnamon applesauce and add it to my steel cut oats for flavor.

Cheryl, wow on the gc from Office Depot. Last year in March, I got one from Staples and used it to buy my insulated sippy cups for me for this past summer. I got one for $25 to Lane Bryant that I have to use within the next couple of weeks. Hope I can find some panties this time.

Connie, did you put any seasonings in your mashed cauliflower? I just can't get with the taste, hard as I try. I would love to grate it in place of rice, or mash it like mashed potatoes, but I just don't like cooked cauliflower. I keep thinking there must be something I can put in it to flavor it to disguise it for me. Not happening so far. In one of George Stella's low-carb cookbooks he roasts it, with just olive oil and some salt/pepper/Italian seasoning. In another recipe he uses it in place of pasta in mock mac 'n cheese.

Enjoy your time at the thrift store. I am beside you in spirit. Hoping to get out this weekend.

Went to the library last night. Came home with a new pattern, and lots of social contact that I didn't think I was missing. Took Thomasita 3 books with baby patterns in them, she was thrilled. Met a couple of new people and had a good time.

Better go for now. Glad it is Friday. Hope it passes quickly.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 01-16-2015, 05:42 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

Good morning

JACKI - good idea to make your own instant oatmeal packets.

ANNA - I saw that recipe for sweet potatoes on Hundred Dollars a Month blog yesterday. Her little pug seemed to be enjoying them in pictures. I like Prudent Homemaker as well.
Much healthier and nutritious.

I got the other 2 drawers in the kitchen done last night. I think I have a gadget to do just about everything. Most of them are old and original. I prefer older kitchen gadgets and accessories with wooden handles and made of metal. I just can't stand all the new plastic stuff.

Hope everyone has a good day.

WORD:
Every single successful goal starts with a dream. You always have to want to do something then strive for it.

Closed Thread