Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 08:17 AM

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Kathy, we have had your back all year. Will continue to keep you in prayer, on here or off.

Crafting is a great destresser, and gives you time to think at the same time.

Great that you have the freezer plugged in again, and are starting to utilize it. I am sure your tummy will thank you also when you start pulling out those meals you have double-batched and frozen for when you need a quick freezer-meal.

Ellen, don't over-think the closet cleanout. Especially if you didn't plan to save an item when you bought it (for pieces of fabric, to make a pillow, or for the cool buttons). Or you will have another area to be cleaning up or packing up.

I had bought a sweatshirt that was tie-dyed. I loved the shirt but always had in the back of my mind that I could make a cool pillow cover when I no longer wanted to wear it. That was a saver.

If you think about a wool sweater becoming mittens when you won't wear the sweater anymore, keep it. If you have to go "oh what else do I want to do with this now that I don't like it anymore", pitch it.

I only have 2 kitchen drawers, one for silverware, and one for everything else. I have to keep it in fairly good order, because I also keep a plastic bag for used batteries in there, as soon as it gets a bit tight, I have to look in there and get rid of some things.

Cheryl I like that saying, keeps the house decluttered once you get it that way.

Roberta, I hope they look at the staff remaining, and count you in among them.

Liz, glad you are moving ahead as quickly as you are with boxing and going through stuff and getting rid of the excess.

Charlotte, I hope you froze part of that turkey so you won't get burned out. I had put my Christmas ham in the freezer in separate bags with serving suggestions on them - chopped for lentil/green pea soup or mac 'n cheese, sliced for sandwiches, etc. Helped me a lot when looking for something in there for inspiration.

I had a great time last night - with the exception of the cough, it took over at times. We played "Apples to Apples", "Balderdash", and a new to me one called "Cards Against Humanity" which is totally an adult version of "Apples to Apples". We laughed so hard while playing all these games, and really had a good time.

We ate everything from cheese and crackers to Mary's version of White Castle Sliders.

And we all reconnected, only one new couple, younger compared to the rest of us, but totally on the same "experience" level.

My neighbors (2 women from the same block number as mine only their homes are facing 2 different street names) came and we discussed rats and other critters. While I seem to be the only one who had that much experience with them earlier last year, they have seen, or know that there are all of them around.
Believe it or not, I just don't run into them, ever. Marie and Brenda both work at the school, and then are "in their houses" or out with their kids when not at work.

I didn't get home until about 2:30 and slept until 9:30, no matter how many times Asha came up on the bed and wanted breakfast. She just had to wait.

So, I better get to doing something, my mind just hasn't caught up with that thought yet. I have offered to watch Kyler for part of today, if the kids need some "couple" time.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 01-01-2015, 08:21 AM

Good morning again!

Connie, there are lots of good books out on mixing drinks, and I am sure there are lots of Youtube tutorials too, if you need to learn.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 01-01-2015, 08:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Happy New Year Everyone!

Last edited by LaurieS; 01-01-2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:29 AM

Seems like we're all in the declutter mood today.

I am cooking a chicken for the dogs, have a turkey in the fridge dethawing for them later this week. We have ribs marinating from overnight will soon be putting those in the roaster oven to eat later. Thought we had boxed AuGratin potatoes but don't so not sure what we'll have as a side besides coleslaw, not going out to the stores for anything today.

I have taken all the ornaments off the tree, will be pulling the tree out later, taking my garland off and taking the tree down... I hate to see it go.

Dd gave me a Christmas card with their pictures on it, 4 small size, cut them off the card and put them in the ornament picture frames I bought last year so they are ready next year to be hung on the tree. I need to find my photo printing paper and print a couple pictures of the dogs from this year to put in the frames I have left and will be looking for more of the frames when I go to Joann's or Michaels this weekend.

Anna
Old 01-01-2015, 09:10 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

KATHY - you have some great goals. Good luck working part-time.

ELLEN - glad you are feeling better.
I also have a basement of doom!!!

ROBERTA - will some great meals for easy living for a while.

NORMA - I have those piles too - "roundtoits". I keep thinking I'll do something with them when I get around to it. Well, those I haven't gotten to for a few years, will go to someone who will do something with them.
Sounds like fun last night.

You shouldn't have much to do on coupon club lately, do you? They have been few and far between here lately.

ANNA - neat idea on pictures for decorations.

Put the corned beef brisket on early this morning. Blacked eyed peas cooked for quite a while, and are now off and covered.
Been doing odds and ends.
Even watched a couple episodes of Twilight Zone! I used to love that show when I was a kid. Saw 2 that I don't remember.
Have done 2 loads of laundry in cold.

We have sunshine at the moment too. Had the most incredible sunrise this morning. Just beautiful.

Have a good one. TTYL
Old 01-01-2015, 09:48 AM
Nine Year Member

Connie, I'm sure there is a bartender APP.

2015 I'm going to investigate the coupon rebate apps. There are now 10 of them according to kcl.
How I'm Couponing in 2015 - The Krazy Coupon Lady

Roberta
Old 01-01-2015, 09:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Liz keep up the good work

Kathy sounds like you are on track for a much better year.

Connie there are books giving recipes for the different drinks

Norma Sounds like a wonderful evening

Anna my slippers are the same, I wear out the left one but not the right. The right costs $50.00 for the insert so I buy cheaper version of Indian moccasins & toss the right one. My dgd never wears matching socks, drives her mother batty

Cheryl love your January quote. My dd always gives my dgd an experience instead of a gift for any occasion. I love the idea. How are you doing with your tablet?? The Fires are in constant use here. I have Amazonís Prime so the younger 2 are watching movies & shows on them.
Iíve decided my slogan for 2015 it BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT WE HAVE & USE IT UP OR DO WITHOUT. Garlic pork roast , browned potatoes & creamed spinach for dinner

Old 01-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Assistant Moderator

Roberta, I still have a dumb phone! LOL I checked prices with our local carrier and I won't pay that much. Jasmine is under contract so we can't get the new contract that is a good deal. I am looking into prepaid. Gregg has straight talk. It is fine unless you have a problem and need customer service.

Well! My craft table is put together. He is working on the desk part now. Of course we don't have the right saw blade. He will buy that tomorrow. I need this mess cleaned up it is driving me nuts.

Frugal is giving away the table I had in my craft room. So far it isn't good enough for one gal, another wanted me to hold it for her so I think the table will go to the thrift store tomorrow. It is a nice 60s? or 70s? dining room table, fake laminate top, solid wood legs. I noticed with selling on FB if they say hold it for me please, you never see them. If they say can I pick it up X? They show up. This year, I don't hold items, if you order a craft from me you pay 50% up front. I am not backing down. I am not wasting my time on people who waste my time.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Happy New Year Ladies,

Kathy, so nice to see you posting, always love hearing what you are up to.

Liz, I think you are making great progress packing, etc. considering your health issues. I certainly need to declutter but have no ambition to do it.

Norma, your evening of games and food sounded lovely, I'd like to attend something like that sometime. When the kids were young we used to have family game night about once a week, usually after the younger two were in bed. Usually is was popcorn and Uno.

Anna, I agree the gas prices are nice right now. The down side is all the oil field workers (especially in the city of Bakersfield where I go to shop at least once a month) that are being laid off. Over 700 were just laid off at one company right before Christmas with no notice. They interviewed one guy on the news last night saying he had never been unemployed before and will have to get into a new line of work that is more stable now, he has a wife and 6 kids to support. You just had to feel for him.

Cheryl, Unfortunately no snow for me this time. They predicted it for Tuesday night and I was sure looking forward to it but all we got was high winds. The last two nights have been extremely cold for us, 20 last night, we rarely get that low in the winter, usually the lows are right around freezing or the upper 30's. Even our high today is only to be 39 but it's only for a few days. Back to the 60's by next week the weatherman says. I love winter here, got my pellet stove blazing and it's clear and sunny outside.

Cau, sorry to hear you have been in so much pain lately. Hope you are taking it easy and feeling better soon. Today I was plenty achy also, usually only take a pain pill at bedtime but my back really hurt this morning so I took one.

I've finished up a few crafts projects lately, had too many things "almost done". Now I just have 3 in the works and hope to finish those before beginning anything new. Watched the Rose parade this morning, always enjoy that. Just been staying in all this week and away from the stores, nothing I need to be out there buying anyway.

Hi to everyone I didn't mention individually, I love reading each and every post from you all and hearing what everyone is doing. Here's to a great 2015 for all of us.

Jacki
Old 01-01-2015, 12:16 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Norma, that sounds like a really fun evening. I would love to do that sometime.

We have just finished taking down all of the Christmas decorations, and things look back to normal now. We have been trying to place our furniture differently in the main room. We have a sofa, sofa chair and a recliner, a sofa table behind it, and a coffee table, and large tv on a stand. The stupid t v has to stay where it is hooked up. We have decided that everything is going to stay where it is for now. We were going to start saving for a new chesterfield suite for February, but we will now have to adjust our budget if dh cannot drive the school vehicle. He put in a lot of overtime during the weekend and last night until 1:00 a.m., so hischeque will be half decent.
My sis's husband has been diagnosed with a tumour and polyps on his kidney. He went to the cancer hospital on Monday, and they are sending him for a biopsy on the 8th of Jan. Fingers are crossed that it will be operable and not too large to remove. He is just 67, and keeps himself in good shape. It seems we all get hit with one thing or another.

Anna, cute ideas for ornaments for next year. I have my youngest dgs on a ball that plays "Wish you a Merry Christmas", it is run by a little battery, and so cute, he was ab out 3 when they gave it to us.

I only had 2 drawers in the condo kitchen, plus a really skinny cupboard that held my cookie sheets and a tiny drawer on top that held saran wrap and parchment paper exactly, could use them without taking them out of the drawer. Here, I have four drawers and it is great to keep things organized and easy to find what you want. I like that very much. My dd has a drawer in her very modern kitchen, that is about 3 feet wide, with separations for all of her cutlery and baking utensils, it is just great I would like one like that.

Not too frugal but we are going to spoil ourselves for dinner and order in Chinese food from a new restaurant in town. My sis says their food is excellent. It is $19.95 for two people, which isn't too bad to get a dinner for $10.00 each. Eating in means we don't have to pay for drinks or having to pay a tip.

Well, enjoy your day everyone, so glad to see Kathy again, good luck in 2015 with all of your endeavours. I'm with you Cau, use it, use it up or toss.

Connie with your personality, you'd be a good bartender. A private club should be a little classier than a public pub

Closed Thread