Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 03:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good Afternoon Ladies,

Yesterday was the BD party for my 2yo dgd, the one with Ichthyosis. She loves the Bubble Guppies cartoon so that was the theme and dd2 did a great job with it. Even had a friend of ours make her a special BG dress for the party. Once she figured out the present opening thing she was all about it. There were 29 people there and she was amazed at all these people in her house. Everyone really enjoyed the day, weather was okay, played some of the games and pinata outside. Dgd didn't care much about the cake but couldn't get enough ice cream. She never got a nap yesterday and dd said she was sound asleep at 7pm.

Dd2 and I went into town this morning and did a couple errands and picked up a couple last minute things. I'm hoping to stay out of all stores until after the first of the year, hard for me since I love to shop.

Nothing going on tomorrow, then Tuesday and Wednesday morning I have some cooking and baking to do for Wednesday night at ds1's house. The kids took lots of photos yesterday but I meant to get one of all 4 of my kids together and forgot, hopefully we can do that Christmas Eve.

I don't think I have anything frugal to report this week. I filled up the car and truck today, regular gas is $2.76 here and diesel for the truck is $3.00, not bad at all for us. I guess one frugal thing was getting a few things at Rite Aid this morning while I still have the 20% discount. The points reset at the beginnging of the year and it takes me a few months to spend enough on RX's to get back to the 20% savings off anything that isn't on sale.

I'm just not really with it lately, just a sad time of year for me so I'll close here. I can tell you are all being frugal and I enjoy reading your posts but just can't think of anything to write about.

Jacki
Old 12-21-2014, 04:21 PM
Nine Year Member

thinking of you too Jackie...

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 12-21-2014, 06:57 PM

Our gas prices have went as low as $1.98 here. Oh Cheryl, would love to have found one with the colored stones though I really love it just the way it is.

Today I stopped in the thrift store, the mgr. told me they had tins of Christmas jewelry that never got put out till today and it was all marked down to 99 cents.. OH MY!!! I found so many wonderful pieces, sadly will not get to wear most of them till next year. I did find a Merry Christmas pin that I will wear tomorrow, maybe the next day too? And one that says Shop till you drop. Another of Santa on his sleigh with one horse. 2 Wreath pins, a bracelet with snowmen but it's a little wore out in the string so will make it into a necklace for next year. More that I can't remember.

Jackie.. Wow your grand daughter is 2 already? Time goes by so quickly.

Colleen.. So glad the catered meal turned out well! And that you enjoyed your family get together.

Cheryl.. I missed the post where you got your tablet. I'd love to have one of those, dd has one but says she wants a bigger one.

Well better get to bed, early work day tomorrow.

Love to All

Anna
Old 12-22-2014, 03:51 AM

Good morning all!!

Jacki, you are in my prayers for peace, and joy this Christmas.

Colleen, so glad you were able to enjoy the day. And that the food was good, and everyone had a good time.

Heard from Amanda last night. We (my sister and I) are invited to breakfast on Christmas morning. We get to watch Kyler open his gifts at their home that way. Then they can take off and do what they need to do.

Anna, wow on all that jewelry at such a good price. My supervisor got a pin this year that says "You can wish me a Merry Christmas". Not a jewelry pin, just a pin, but so appropriate.

Will the soap be ready before Christmas for Shellie? I know you have been crunched for time, I am surprised you had the time for the soap.

How wonderful that David won gcs to Amazon. Hope he can stay away from online buying then until after Christmas day.

Cheryl, Best Buy will help you get it set up even if it is not bought there. I took my phone in when I first got it and they were ever so kind. And I was prepared to pay them for the service, but that is not how they are, I couldn't even tip the woman who helped me.

Liz glad you had a good time. Do you have Christmas Eve services at your church that you are going to? We have them at 4 and 6 pm.

Charlotte, I am completely done too - both food and gifts. I just need to wrap, prepare bacon, grab a bottle of cranberry juice (my contribution to breakfast) and get out the door on Christmas morning. I do need to write out my cards for work tomorrow. That is it.

Mish, I need a calendar for work, and one for here too. Will pick them up hopefully on 12/26.

Better go for now. Just having cherry turnovers for breakfast, then off to work.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 12-22-2014, 05:22 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

Good morning

JACKI - hi and thinking of you. Prayers for you and your family. Just enjoy those kids and gk's totally!!!!

NORMA - I will give it another try today, then if no luck hit BB.

ANNA - cool on the pins. Just don't forget where you put them!!!!!

Hope you all have a good day!
Old 12-22-2014, 05:59 AM
Assistant Moderator

Jackie, hugs. It doesn’t seem possible your gd is two.
Anna neat pins.
The party was fun. Gregg and I want to host a summer solstice party. Or maybe a spring equinox. We will see.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks for the prayers for my co-worker. I just feel so bad for her! And there isn't much you can really do--I think that's the frustrating part. We can try to be there to listen and to be kind, but it doesn't take the hurt away for her.

Jacki, I'm thinking of you this time of year too.

Sounds like everyone has been super busy! The countdown to Christmas is sure ticking away, isn't it? My brother will be flying in from California tomorrow night. His flight comes in around 11 p.m. I offered to work at Gordman's until 10:30 since it's their last full night open before Christmas, and since it's right by the airport, it will give me something to do to stay awake until the plane lands. And if the flight gets delayed, I'm sure they will have no problem letting me stay and help close

Paul and I finished up shopping for his kids over the weekend. The stores were so busy!! I'm glad he is such a patient person--it made being out and about in all the madness a lot easier. We were able to use a few good coupons that helped out, so that was good.

I also managed to redeem prescription "stamps" for a $50 gift card at the grocery store. That was quite a nice score!

Frugal today...all meals and snacks from home. And I'll be meeting one of my girlfriends at the gym tonight. I get to bring guests for free, so it's a free gym night for her, plus I get company, which is nice for me.

All for now. Happy Monday, everyone!
Old 12-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Nine Year Member

Trying to catch up here!

Connie (and others) Ė how do you set the dye on the jeans so they donít run when you wash them? Your alien thing for Jasmine sounds great and I hope you can post a pic of it when done.

Jackie, so great to hear from you! Remember that Christmas Day is just 24 hours, the same as any other day, and try to make some phone calls when you get lonely. Or come on here and chat with us! I had to laugh because you posted five paragraphs and then said, ďjust canít think of anything to write about.Ē (!)

Roberta, hey a 4 foot tree is pretty good, and three days after putting up our live tree, the smell is gone anyways.

Chris, you and Paul, both winners! Pretty funny about working to stay up late to catch the airplane arrivals! Now thatís frugal!

Mish, I hope all is well at your house for Christmas, and that your daughters are heading to health. My dh is going to make his favorite cookies too.

Norma, Iíve been reading a book about knitters and crocheters, stories from authors who knit and crochet. If you get a chance to borrow it from the library you might like it, most of the stories are about knitting but the crochet ones are good too. Iíll have to post the title later (book is upstairs right now).

LaurieS, I think 8 scarves will make eight people very happy and warm. I understand though, I want to do more too, maybe next year!

Missie Joanne, fairies are all the rage and there are fairy patterns out there, would be fun to play with and I bet adults making their fairy gardens would like them too. If you put coated wire in them the arms could be bendable (but probably not for the ones for kids). Glad your sister is able to get around even with the brace boot.

Cheryl, I was able to give dd2 a sneak preview via Facetime on the lights outside. Sheíll be here today about 3 pm. I wondered what kind of tablet you got, ah Android, yes!. What a terrific gift! I have I an iPad because the dds work with iPhone. Best Buy was great with helping set it up, hope your experience is also good.

Charlotte, in the great big desk cleanout, now that I am not a student anymore, I found the menu planner sheet, now I have time to plan! It does make things run more smoothly.

Liz, I was curious how Christmas goes for you and do you also do boxing day or is that mostly just in Canada?

Cau, so glad the grocery store dinner worked out, and that it was good too. And fed everyone even those bottomless pits!

Anna, I wouldnít have been as peeved about it except I spent three days doing food gift baskets for them (and $$$), I think my family will get them as they seem to care to get together more. Bah humbug, I am the scroogish todayÖnot much Christ Ė mas spirit, must change that, huh? Those pins are very pretty. I like the pearls in the nest one the most.

I am happy because now that the bedroom is done, dh came in and said how much he liked it. For whatever the reasons are (starved for praise as a kid), it means a lot to me when he provides praise for things I have created. While there is tweaking to be done, (hem the bedskirt so we can take the bed off the raisers), put a tighter valence in the curtain on the one window, strip the wall paper and refinish that wall, it still was a monumental task and we were also able to get two boxsprings and two mattresses to the recycling center besides (they were borrowed and in bad shape so not very sellable, but they got us through in a pinch last summer). This spring Iíll tackle the second bedroom with curtains, paint, etc and hopefully figure out how to do a bed and trundle (which I know will work but dh has his doubts at this point).

Now, Iíve done a good bit of griping about family not coming but today HOORAY my sister and bil are bringing my California daughter to us from the Philly airport. A chicken in the oven is waiting for their arrival later this afternoon. And tomorrow a brunch with them and two more relatives, my nephew and his wife. So very excited. Probably the most prepared I have ever been for a Christmas.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 12-22-2014, 10:02 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

No school buses this week, which means dh is home for two weeks, and doesn't have a shift at the rec centre until next Saturday night, so that's just great, we can do the last minute things together. He was out to do grocery shopping this morning, so I could catch up a bit of cleaning. He went to the Country store for a couple of things that were on sale, and bought Angie a yogi bear for Christmas, for her to chew on. So cute!

Anna, those brooches are pretty,, are they gifts for someone?

Connie, I have seen some teenagers with the doily embellishment on their jeans, looks really cute. The Dollarama here has a lot of really pretty ones for $1.00 and also table runners that are actually lovely for another $1.00, I already have two runners that I quilted, one for summer and one for the colder months.

My dgd (red head) came to visit us last night, haven't seen her since our Thanksgiving, and we miss her very much. She doesn't go to Cuba until the end of April for 8 weeks.and then her University time will be over. She says she still wants to do some kind of international work for her career. She doesn't date that much, just occasionally when she has the time, LOL.

Going out to Winner's this afternoon to see if I can find a yoga mat for dh for Christmas, and then to Mark's to get the jeans he likes, and a little joke present from Angie too, maybe a Chia thing, or something like that. Have to find him some white socks as well, his are looking pretty shabby.

Connie, any party sounds good right now. Have a good time. Cheryl, speaking of how the kids will play with the older games. When the dgk's are visiting with us, the thing they like to do the most is play krokinole, the board we have had for over 40 years, and miracle of miracle we still have the shooting discs with it.

Last edited by missibob; 12-22-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:01 AM
Assistant Moderator

I use a cup of vinegar and a cup of salt to the dye bath. I use a bucket since I have a front load washer. I rinse and rinse and rinse in the sink then wash twice on the longest cycle I have. Dried in the dryer. Since I don't have littles, I don't wash my jeans often. I wear them six or seven times before I wash them.

I have a white fridge. I started using wipe off markers to plan my meals. I have a menu plan, shopping list, hungry for, and special menu. We love it. Makes planning meas so much easier. Oh a leftover/ needs used list too.

Ellen I too soak up praise like a sponge. I take negative to heart.

I will be teaching a gal to sew next month. This is a no charge. We are making a quilt for her baby's first birthday. Sew much fun!!

Figured out my blue mood when I checked my thyroid med bottle. Oh my gosh. I won't say how many doses I have missed. I am on it now.

I am confused on who said what.... So hello to everyone!

Closed Thread