Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 11:03 AM
Assistant Moderator

Lisa I am so glad you got your van fixed. There is something in the back of my mind. I have all this inventory, your girls need to make money. I must be working on something but dont have all the details yet. lol
I have bought reading glasses at DT too. Now I have a bifocal contact in the left eye, regular contact in the right eye. It works.
Lazy day here.
Might cut out another set of curtains. I must have curtain fever or something. I bought some fabric yesterday that looks so nice in my bathroom. That will be a curtain for a buck. Found more fabric I bought a while back for two windows in the hall and stairwell. another buck. When I get those made the total will be five curtains for $4. I don't have any boughten curtains on the main floor. I have made them all.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Lisa, the girls are all so cute in their uniforms. I bet it is so much fun to help them with their performances. I have done lots of things with girl's groups in the past and I got more from it than they did, I'm sure. I was a Girl Guide leader, when my youngest dd was that age, and we went to camp together. That was the LAST time I have ever camped. Sleeping on a air mattress on the floor of the tent and in a sleeping bag really, really did my back problem in. It was so much fun though, I learned a lot about my dd that weekend, that has served me well over the years.

I am going to call my dr. tomorrow to go in and get the meds arranged better, and then I will call the ObyGyn to see what is going on there. I can't find the post that someone's mom had a pessary that didn't work. Everyone she tried for me 2 weeks ago, was the same thing, they were all too big. If worse comes to worse and I have to have a mesh bag surgery, I will insist that I be "put out" for it, as the way she explained it to me, I wouldn't be able to lie on my back for such a long time. Crossing my fingers that the smaller one comes in this week.

Anna, we always had mixed breeds that we got from the Humane Society., until my dd told us of Boston Rescue, and since dh had always had a Boston while growing up, he really wanted to adopt one of them. I never had a dog as a child, that lasted in our house for 4 days or less, LOL. My Dad didn't like dogs, and nothing would change his mind.

Did some tidying up this afternoon, and have just been vegging out and cleaning up some old files on my laptop and doing a crossword.

Dh leaves for his greeter job at 2:30, so Angie & I will probably watch Netflix tonight.

Cheers to all.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:30 AM

Joann

Same with us as kids.. my parents didn't like dogs or cats. We had a cat for a very short period till it chewed the nipple off my little sisters bottle while in her crib and drank the milk, my mother completely flipped out, threw the cat down the staircase and got rid of it. So that was the end of our pets. I never got to have anymore till I married dh who already had a cat, then when we bought our house we bought a dog to protect the cat.

After the kitty was gone, we've had dogs ever since. If only I could win the lottery and open a Dog Sanctuary. There are already cat sanctuaries including CWA but none for dogs.

Anna
Old 10-05-2014, 11:49 AM

Good afternoon all!!

Taking a little break from coupon work for the Coupon Swap Club.

JoAnne, I know you will be on the phone asap tomorrow to both dr's offices to get yourself straightened.

Sounds like you had a great time and made some wonderful memories with your dd when you were a Girl Guide leader.

Jean - Hi! It feels awfully cool in here today too. It is up to 59*, which, in the spring felt pretty warm, but feels mighty cool today. I just put a sweatshirt over my t-shirt.

Connie, sounds like you are pretty busy with the sewing machine, again.

I need to borrow the wafflemaker from the kids again. Make a few for the freezer.

Anna, glad your snow shovel and ice scrapers are able to be replaced now, and not break the first day of snow this year. That would be terrible.

Glad you were able to figure out the problem of newspapers before the new baby arrives.

Laurie, I made the 2 ingredient pumpkin muffins/cupcakes and they are delicious. Came out really well. I don't like pumpkin, but I do love these. My goal has been to add pumpkin into my diet somehow and I think I have found one way. Now I will look for other recipes that I will try.

Cheryl, I already bought the nexium, but thank you for looking for me. I got the coupons in our paper inserts earlier in the week and had no way to see a CVS ad in advance or I would have been there on the way back from church this morning.

My sister totally understands the concept of giving her a label from those peppers so she doesn't get confused and pick up something hot.

I did not even step foot in the grocery store today. I am doing a pantry/freezer week with the exception of the bread I bought yesterday.

Better go for now, and get back to it. I was gifted with 2 big rubberbanded rolls of coupons that I need to lay out flat until next week.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 10-05-2014, 12:06 PM
Assistant Moderator

I started a new thread on what you do daily for self care. It is here.http://www.familycorner.com/forums/y...ml#post1157587

How does one make good waffles? Ours come out limp and chewy. I did realize today we are not cooking them long enough. How to get them crisp and reheat crispy? No microwave that will make them soggy. The toaster will crisp them up right? I am a wonderful cook but can't figure out waffles. lol

Yes the sewing bug bit me good. I think I dislike winter so much, I need to make my house pretty to get through it. When I can make things for pennies, it makes me so happy. I have been watching Rehab Addict, that feeds my fire. My little peke, has to be with me when I am working on a project.

Oh she lost a tooth too! That is why she isn't eating. A front canine. How can I figure out if it broke off or fell out? She is 14. We are watching her and making sure her food isn't cold. Of course she is a biter if you look in her mouth.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Cheryl I turned the heat on too. It is just too cold in here otherwise. Turkey sounds good , I was thinking soup too

Norma your broth sounds like heaven. I love using the bones, somehow soups misses something without them. Iím going to try your muffin recipe. We love pumpkin bread or muffins. Sounds like a smart Christmas move to me. Christmas is the 1 holiday we tend to spend a bit more. I only buy for my family anymore.

Laurie I made one calling for a chocolate cake mix &a can of pumpkin as a low cal recipe a few years ago. I think they were ok

Anna donít blame you for being mad. I hope you get it straightened out. They should know you since you adopted there before. Poor Dallas he is in for hurting again

JoAnne sorry Angie is having problems. I hope it is nothing major

Connie glad you got a deal on your next project. I use either bisquick or a pancake mix and use carbonated pop for the liquid when I make waffles or pancakes. It makes them light & crisp

Ann hope your dd feels better. We all tend to worry

Lisa so glad you got the car started. Iíve been wearing bys since I was 18. Iíve been in tri for about 20 years. Girls look cute

Well Iíve been good. Made breakfast for all. Sunday morning breakfast is when all try to be there to connect. During the week everyone is on different schedules. Then put away summer clothes & paid bills. I found flannel pj pants on sale at Hanes online outlet for 2 for $25.00 so I ordered 2 pair. Today is my late big sis birthday, Iím missing her more than usual. We always called each other on birthdays. Not much else new cloudy & cold in the 50s today. Making chicken for dinner

Old 10-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Dd2 and I went to the city yesterday, found a box of reading glasses $1 each at Walmart in a clearance aisle, got 3. Bought Renuzit air freshners 2 rang up 97c and one rang up 75c, all from the same display, hmmm. We ate at Olive garden, I brought half of my lunch home and will enjoy it today. We took the truck so dd could buy a storage shed at Lowe's since they don't have a garage.

Tomorrow I have someone coming to look at dh's Harley with an eye towards buying it, we'll see how that goes. I haven't advertised it just mentioned it to a couple people that I was going to sell it. One of them passed my name on to this guy, says he is a new ranger just transferred to this area.

Roberta I had a similar thing happen at a grocery store recently to what you were mentioning with the Purina. There was an entire rack filled with Hostess coffee cakes and a big tag saying $1.99. They rang up $2.50. I was going back the next day anyway so I went to the store, checked the tag again and went to customer service to get my money back. You are also suposed to get the item free if under $5 and it rings wrong and a $5 gift card if over $5. So the girl says I owe you $1.02 right? I said actually I am supposed to get the item free. She gets a little huffy and pulls a $5 bill out of the register and hands it to me. Then she follows me to the rack where the cakes are and the little tiny tag under the big $1.99 says Hostess Chocolate Cupcakes, oops, I didn't see that. I apologized but you people stocked the whole rack with the wrong product.

Okay ds1 and dgd just got here so I have to go.

Jacki
Old 10-05-2014, 02:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Jean, we ended up at Dollar Tree, Goodwill had none at a 1.00 and that's all she needs. How are you my friend?

Connie, hmmm, where are those wheels in your head turning to??? It is horrible we live so far away.

Jackie, that's a good deal on the reading glasses, especially at Walmart. They can be quite pricey. I hope that you get a good offer on the motorcycle. Hugs.

Col, hugs to you as well. It sounds like you have been busy tho.

Thank you everyone on the pics. I think they looked adorable in their uniforms, even if they hated the short skirts. They said they looked more like cheerleaders. I told them no, they look like a dance TEAM. They know how short our funds are so they humor me and made the best of it. I did get a great compliment on two of the girls, Alyssa and one of the other seniors. The cheer coach stopped me at the fair last night and said she wanted to tell me she LOVED the dance, just loved it, that it was wonderful to see it not be too sexy like the dances have been the last few years. She then said that she noticed that of all of the girls out there, a few were concentrating on the routine, several were smiling but only 2 were doing facials (which are a big thing in competitions, you get big points for facials) and that was Alyssa and the other girl. I told her thank you, I would tell the girls and tell the two girls about their facials being noticed. I told Alyssa and she was beaming! She so wants something called a Rising Star Award at competition. It is for a dancer who seems to know the routine, makes no mistakes and has excellent "facials". Crossing my fingers!

JoAnn, Oh I love coaching the girls. Granted, sometimes there are days I want to put them all in a corner but 99% of the time it's great! Most take criticism well and I don't start critiquing until they have learned the routine full out. Then we start to tweak it. I was a dancer in high school for my sophomore and junior years, senior year I was all about theater and had to make the choice, theater or dance, I chose the stage. Alyssa has been dancing since 6th grade with her then middle school in our old town. 8th grade, when we moved a little further south, they did not have a dance team. I think that's such an injustice for the middle school age girls. I'm going to try to get a dance team started at the middle school. I am not sure I have the time to be the one to run it but am asking some former dancers here if they would want to take it on. If yes then we'll approach the school board. If they wait until high school to be on the team or have an opportunity to be on a team, it takes longer to teach basic moves and steps. Most schools that the high school level compete against have girls that were dancing in middle school up. I'm beginning to write up my proposal so I can have it perfected, have numbers to use, etc. I think I've found a passion! I have to be careful to not single Alyssa out for anything as in favoritism. Believe me, the girls are looking for it, especially 2 girls in particular. I warned Alyssa, I will have to be just as hard if not harder on you. It rankled her at first but she understands why now. When you have a child on the team, favoritism is a huge no no.

Alyssa and I did our errands. We went to return my old starter, got my core amount back, $21 and some change, it went back on my debit card. Next was Goodwill where we didn't buy a thing, then to the Dollar Tree where I got her a pair of glasses and myself a new coffee mug for work, I couldn't pass it up, nothing overly special but it had a design that just made me feel calm and peaceful. I need that there sometimes. Then we ran to Walmart to get a few items that we prefer, their brand of yogurt, some flavored coffee creamer, they had some chips on sale that Alyssa likes, we did well. Then off to Aldi where I spent just under $50, then back to our town with a quick stop at the IGA, bought ground beef (prefer to get my meat there, better quality, better taste, doesn't spoil like Walmart), their generic beef stroganoff box that was on sale for $1.49 and something else that right now escapes me...hmmmm, I know it was food. Hate that! Ah well. I'm home for the day, oh, got HUGE pumpkins for $2.99 a piece at Aldi!!! Alyssa is great at helping put groceries away, she's in there working on homework and I'm about to finish cleaning up a little, running 2 more loads of laundry. The rest of the night I'll just chill. Right now watching Sense & Sensibility, earlier it was Gone With The Wind. I'm in a classics frame of mind.

I know a lot of you remember when I was so excited to get my new job. Yes, I really was. It's still better than Goodwill, by far, but as with most places of employment, you don't know when you are first hired how things are or how people are. My boss has some very strange moments, but then she can turn around and be ok. She is odd. I pray for her all of the time, as well as my co-worker who is so not a happy person. I usually can handle the oddness but there are a few times that I just can't handle it anymore and I blow my top. But still, it is better money than Goodwill, 1 minute driving, 5 minutes walking from my house and I am close enough to run to the school for dance business, etc. I just do what I have to do and keep on swimming like Dory says on Finding Nemo!

My biggest frugal lately is only going to the big town once a week, here and there it's 2x but most times just once. I was bad about that before but it certainly has helped keep expenses down and helped get me back on track financially by just waiting or making sure we have what we need in the one time trip.

I need to get off of here, hugs all, have a good night if I'm not back on.

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:58 PM

Good evening all!!

Jacki, hope the harley sells, maybe this is the right person to own it.

Colleen, I wanted to nip the Christmas thing in the bud. I have money I save weekly for Kyler, and with a couple of sweaters and a new hat (right now he hates hats) he will be set. I figure he has 3 grandmothers, 2 grand fathers, 5 aunts, and 2 parents to give to him, not counting family friends.

And for us adults, I wanted to make it fun, but practical. I can find lots of ways to wrap/disguise jumper cables for my sister, Amanda wants to get her a "gag" gift and sign the card from the guy across the street from her who asks about her all the time. None of us need any more figurines or hanging pictures with sayings, or kitchen gadgets (Amanda maybe, but not my sister or myself). And none of us has the money.

The muffins (only because they are not iced or they would be cupcakes) are really tender and moist. There must be plenty of moisture in that pumpkin. I mixed up the batter in my ninja.

Connie, I cook the waffles in the waffle maker for 5 minutes (setting the timer each time). Let them cool completely, a couple of hours, and then wrap between waxed paper and put into freezer bags. They thaw and re-crisp wonderfully in the toaster.

I was thrilled, I got a nap in. I was sitting in front of the tv after Coupon Club business was finished, and was cold, all the way through. So I got 1/2 cup of soup, and when finished, was so tired, I fell asleep for almost an hour. I feel pretty good right now. Hope I sleep tonight all the way through.

Well, better go for now. Take care all!! Norma
Old 10-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

LISA - nice pictures! Glad you had a friend to work on the van. I am mulling over some ideas for your next sale!

CONNIE - I get my waffles nice and brown. Cool then freeze. Come out great in the toaster.
I like Rehab Addict too and also Fixer Upper.

JACKI - good luck selling the cycle. I know that's hard - but probably a necessity.
Good to hear from you.

ELLEN - what's up gf???????????

Frugal today;
Made tea. Baked the turkey. Boy, the house smelled good.
Picked another zucchini. Working on packing up big box #1 for HI.

I "fixed" my kitchen faucet. The faucet is one of those that pulls out and sprays as well. Over the past couple months it developed a tiny pin hole in the faucet - thus a tiny stream of water comes out. I let it dry good and then got black electricians tape and wrapped it around the faucet about 3". The faucet is chrome and black anyway. It worked!!!! LOL It will get me through this year at least.

Stayed home today.
All meals at home. had turkey and mashed potatoes and gravy for dinner.
The turkey will provide various meals over the next few weeks. YAY

Still chilly and windy today. Had sprinkles. It didn't get past 60* LAURIES I'll switch weather with you!
I'm ready for spring. Haha.

Have a nice evening.

Closed Thread