Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Assistant Moderator

I had self care today. I think that is a frugal. :D Chatted on the phone with a friend.

The mattress is a great health saver.

Jasmine and I are in love with a book series, the final book came out this week. This is one we may have to buy.

Thought I had a house cleaning job lined up but now she wants to think on it. I know her so we will see.

It is chilly here. I refuse to turn on the heat but I might light a fire in the corn stove.

Jeremiah is having surgery on the 23. The hand that he cut and the doctor here did lousy stitching now needs surgery. The scar is so large it has nerves in it. Def not happy with the local doctor. It is important we get the hand fixed.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Norma I hate the idea of increasing he meds , as you know for every action there is a reaction. I know some reactions are bad for your internal organs but you are tight I will do what I have to do.

Cheryl money spent for needed or necessary thing is money well spent. You are a good manager & remember it will do you no good in a casket

Chris the German place was great

Connie sorry to hear about the surgery

We had a great dinner & I came home with tons of leftovers, they gave us way to much food. My cousin found a great picture of my older sister & uncle during WW2. Plus papers from my mom older half-brother. All very cool. I will pass the stuff on Uncle Dan to a cousin on the other side who is into our family history

Old 09-11-2014, 06:05 PM
Assistant Moderator

I cut out pillowcases last night. Sewed them up tonight. Fabric was in my stash and from the thrift stores. I found one king size pillowcase I adored the print. I cut it up so now stripes on one side, circles on the other side.

Crazy but I sewed and dh surfed the net. Togetherness as we were in the same room. LOL
Old 09-11-2014, 06:24 PM
Nine Year Member

Yes, I like that too Connie, when dh and I are both downstairs, we are about 15 feet apart and can see each other through our doorway, it is like togetherness and it feels good to me too

I do like the science in the story, we all know how it turned out for real, (very sad losing good men like that to the sea), so I focused on other parts of the book...this is the third time I've read it... the first time for the story line, the second for the personality of the characters... and now for the science...this book makes me now want to read The Old Man and the Sea and even Moby Dick, ! !

Cau., I am reminded of pain medications - to take them - because they stop the Pain Cascade and promote healing and blood flow to the painful areas, not sure if it will work for you, but it's a thought if it can help even more than the side effects of the pills you need to take ?

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 09-11-2014, 07:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good evening ladies,
Hard to imagine it is almost chilly enough for some of you to need heat. Still upper 90's and low 100's here. Even had the cooler on high today while cooking, usually low is sufficient. Usually the first need for heat here is around Halloween.

I did have to buy a new washer last week, all installed and now I'll be getting a new dryer too. Last year sometime when dmil was here the button that shuts it off when you open the door was acting up and not working. Also once it wasn't heating. Don't recall what dh did about that but I know it was simple and did not need a new heating element. Anyway the other day the dryer wouldn't stop again when I opened the door, went to unplug and got shocked big time. Now today it wasn't heating again also. I'm done with that one, should have just bought the set last week I guess, lol.

Norma, sorry I missed your BD, happy belated.

Anna, sorry things are a little stressful with your job and Maddy, it will all work out for the best in the end.

Cau, so sorry you haven't been doing well. I had a regular dr. Check up appt. Tuesday. He had to up my pain meds for my back and leg since I'm unable to take the Celebrex. He said most of my bloodwork numbers were good except I think triglycerides, the fat in the blood, it's too high. He also said my kidneys are starting to show "stress", just the progression of diabetes I guess. He said if that continues it means dialysis at some point, I didn't think to ask how long or maybe he doesn't even know and it's different in everyone. I go back in January so I will ask then.

I've never been to a German restaurant but glad you enjoyed it.

Connie, glad you got some sewing in, I know you enjoy that and some time with dh. Sorry to hear about your son needing surgery.

JoAnne, glad you got all moved and like your new place.

Laurie, yeah on finding the jeans. I have more capris than regular jeans or pants, wear them and flip flops almost exclusively since I rarely have to dress up. Hope you get to work on the quilts soon. I'm embroidering tablecloths right now, slow going though.

Cheryl, sounds like your df was so happy with the items you blessed him with and the trip to the store, what a good friend you are.

Hi to Roberta, Ellen, Lauri, Laura, Jean, Chris, Kathy, Joyce, Charlotte, Liz and anyone I forgot, certainly not intentional, I love you all. Thanks for always listening to me ramble on at times, it really helps me with no one here to talk to except the cats. My dd2 does text and call every day hut the other kids are all busy with their own lives and I do understand but it's just so lonely without dh.

My ds1 has been home for the last 10 days or so, he left yesterday for Colorado so tomorrow I am back to babysitting. They had the big birthday party for both their kids last weekend, I went for a couple hours but cut out early, it was hot and there were tons of people there.

Okay enough of my drivel for now.
Jacki
Old 09-11-2014, 07:44 PM

Rice

We don't eat rice very often but it's cheap.. we have a lot of different kinds of rice there and I'd like to implement some into our diet (not instant). I like brown rice but it doesn't stay good long from what I'm told. I haven't looked into which rice I'll buy yet just noticed how cheap it is and would like to have it on our menu once or twice a month. The only time we eat rice right now is in stuffed bell peppers.

On the pasta, we use about 8 oz. of pasta a week 4 oz. each and it doesn't affect our sugar levels too much. I usually don't even finish mine, too much even with that amount I mean too filling. I want to start adding frozen veggies to it again like I used to.. zucchini, squash, etc. no one around here grew either of those this year so I'll have to buy it from our store. I think you get a 6 lb. bag for around $5.99 maybe less?

Anna

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 09-11-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:05 PM

Jacki

Good to hear from you, sorry about the extra expenses of washer and dryer but they are such a big part of our lifes definitely worth the investment.

Cheryl..

Same with the mattress, we did the same thing bought from a small family owned business love it!

Colleen

Sorry to hear that you are in pain, it's so frustrating I know when the mind is willing but the body isn't.

I ended up with 24 quarts of flour, had to go to Family Dollar and buy more quart jars. The flour should last us at least a year or longer but after looking at prices at Krogers today.. Wow! What a huge savings it is for the amount I bought.

Still sitting on the fence about the rice.. trying to stock up on frugal items but probably just better to buy small amounts for now. I wish some of my neighbors used rice but they don't.

On potatoes.. another thing we don't use a whole lot of. We make mashed potatoes about once a month with meatloaf or in veggie soup in the winter so had to pass on that 50 lb. bag of potatoes at our store for $20. It was ordered and not picked up, they ordered too many bags I guess.

I took the chicken meatballs over to Melissa's tonight so it's out of my freezer, so disappointing to have spent all that money and they tasted awful just way too much salt and breading in them, couldn't really see anything in them that resembled chicken LOL! I guess theres a reason we don't carry it as a regular staple in our store. But glad that Melissa and family can use it it was probably around 9 lbs. of meatballs left.

I bought 18 lbs. of pasta at the store today Barilla brand $1 each, that breaks down to 50 cents each meal (for 2). So we are stocked up for the winter on that. I will need to do more stocking up on sp. sauces in the coming weeks and look at pizza sauces or making my own soon too. We carry the sauce at our store but not sure what the pricing is. Anyone have a good pizza sauce recipe not using packets just tomato products and spices?

Well better get myself to bed we both work tomorrow.

Anna
Old 09-11-2014, 08:07 PM

Barilla Versus Krogers

Something I noticed today:

Kroger had their Fettuccine and Linguini noodles $1 each, Barilla also had theirs on sale today for $1 each. Krogers 12 oz., Barilla 16 oz. weight so sometimes it pays to look at the weights.

Anna
Old 09-12-2014, 04:06 AM

Good Friday Morning Everyone

Didn't sleep well. Windi has not been feeling well the past cpl. days, won't eat and having trouble doing #2. I've been giving her small doses of olive oil with a syringe and giving her her meds. with a baby spoon and processed cheese (the kind you put in mac/cheese). Not the best choice but she won't eat peanut butter at all. About 2am she threw up in her bedding, so got up and changed it, she threw up again later in the am, peed in the hall so a lot of towels were used in the night. She came out this morning, drank a lot of water (slowly), came in got under the computer desk and threw it all up, sigh! I tried enticing her with a little tuna this morning but she's not interested. Today I'll be locking her in our bedroom alone so the dogs don't bother her, will put food and water in there, if she has a accident it's hardwood floors and not going to stress over it. Hopefully she'll feel better by the time I get home, if not we're back to the Vets again tomorrow. I just took her in last Saturday for her yearly check up as you all remember.

I hate going to work and leaving her here alone but with the way things are going there, don't feel I have much choice.

Hoping everyone here is having a better day.

Anna
Old 09-12-2014, 04:24 AM
Nine Year Member

Anna, sorry to hear about Windi and how hard it truly is to leave her when she isn't feeling well! It is so hard to get to work when you are tired without sleep. I am sure you will manage fine. Most of us at work are exhausted.

Jacki, great to hear from you and your 'drivel' I actually find interesting. I was very surprised on the progression of faults with your dryer, getting shocked is no good! I am glad you were all right. And I understand about too many people and it being hot so it gets uncomfortable.

Connie, yes I would do that surgery too if it was my child's face/hands/whatever...there was no reason for that to happen...there are so many techniques that can be learned today in how to stitch skin without leaving a mark...glad you found some solace in crafting.

I went to a home party for Juice Plus...even though it works, I am not going to do the program as I have had enough of shakes and special diets (after that food study, just plain home cooked food is fine by me!)...but I did make some contacts to get together with two gals to do some crafting! I am so very excited about it. I take two nights a week off from school and work (Mondays and Fridays) so I will use one of those nights once a month to do something that brings me solace like crafting (like Connie did). I will begin again to think about Weight Watchers, and get those fruits and vegetables so lacking in my diet.

Cau, my in laws owned a German restaurant, and now they have another one and serve two or three of the schnitzel dishes from the original restaurant. We also have a cash-only German restaurant downtown that I have never been to (don't carry much cash with me). I hear the portions are huge and one must finish it all before leaving! They have a radio announcement in the mornings and the menus always sound so delicious, it changes daily, the menu.

Cheryl, I think it is best that you are preparing the house now. If we have a long winter the extra attic insulation will be worth its weight in gold! and a new mattress means more snuggling under the covers. (!) My dh always frets at me for sitting on the edge of the bed to put my socks on. We haven't gotten a new mattress for 25 years and just keep turning this one over and over...we really need something but it is not for now...maybe later...I'll be thinking of you!

So I am taking a day off work, there is little to do there, I have two classes now (signed up for an online 10 hour HACCP class needed for a job application) so will work on them, and dh wants help with the trailer because we are getting wood this weekend, boy will we be sore on Sunday night after cutting, hauling, and stacking all that wood, but how happy we will be come the cold weather! Free wood from the land we own at camp!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."

Closed Thread