Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 03:17 AM

What Did You Do Frugal Today~August 2014

For encouragement in frugal ways--large and small--look no further. This is where we share helpful hints for stretching our money, saving time and making sure we don't waste resources.

Remember, "frugal" does not mean "don't spend money!" It means "be wise with what you spend!"

What Did YOU Do Frugal Today?

Anna
Old 08-04-2014, 03:18 AM
Nine Year Member

subbing for now.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 08-04-2014, 03:21 AM

Request From Butterfly

Butterfly posted this right as I was closing the July thread so I am copying it here so that those of you who might have missed it can read it and give Butterfly some advice.

Quote:
Hello Norma,

I am trying to pace myself, but when I feel well it is difficult!

I have never heard of block parties before, is this a new idea? How large is an average block?

My great grandmother also died in the flu pandemic, to have come through the war and then face the pandemic must have felt overwhelming.

When I think how my grandfather fought in the Great War, and then 25 years later lived through the Second War, I realise how fortunate I am.

On to happier matters, I bought a dehydrator a few years ago which I have never used. To be honest I don't know what to dehydrate, what do you all use it for? Beginners tips please!

Need go go and clean the bathroom floor and sink, then it is complete.

Liz x
Old 08-04-2014, 03:27 AM

Butterfly

My new canisters are white.

I also bought some square flat cookie tins, discovered one accepts my round crackers in their sleeves (think Ritz crackers). I had 2 unopened sleeves of crackers, looks like it'll accept 3. I placed the tin sideways like a book on the shelf. Will have to think about this for my saltines too.

Another bigger tin like this one I put extra sanitaries in and put under the bathroom sink.

Anna

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 08-04-2014 at 03:29 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:35 AM

I've been decluttering our desk in the front room, started out as a search for my labels which I still haven't found but found a lot of junk in the drawers and or important paperwork (taxes) that needed to be "homed" or got rid of. I need to go back to Krogers at Graceland they sell these plastic folders that have a velcro snap that will fit 8X10 sized papers in them, they are a little pricey at 89 cents each but hold up well, they are clear plastic but colored blue, black (no black, it's too hard to write on). I usually label them with a large Fat black marker.

I will be mowing here shortly.

Dd called me yesterday they were traveling through Florida, I think the destination is Cocoa Beach. Change of plans, they were supposed to go to the Bahama's on a cruise ship, couldn't find sil's birth certificate. You don't need a passport but you do need a birth certificate. So they decided to just vacation in Florida instead. Just her and sil, week before last they and the boys went with her adoptive parents to their vacation home in Tenn. for a week. She's doing so much better physically since the surgery but still having problems with the Fibro.

Anna
Old 08-04-2014, 03:58 AM
Assistant Moderator

Anna I feel for your dd, the fibro is hard to live with. Liz you too. I have watched my dd struggle.

Liz I dehydrate herbs, fruit mostly. We love dehydrated apples.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Good Morning all,

Anna, Glad to hear your DD is doing better since her surgery.

Liz, I also dehydrate herbs, I started doing bananas instead of turning them into mashed for banana bread.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:53 AM
Nine Year Member

Oh hello ladies, time to do catch up again! Iíve been lurking and reading since Thursday but on my iPad which cannot do two pages at once (at least not that I know how although Iíve heard rumors that there is an app for that) ; so now I am at a two screen desktop I can begin to respond by reading one page and typing on the other.

Cau, have been praying for dbís wife, sorry to hear of it. Glad they caught it. The corn is wonderful here too.

Charlotte, our mums are just coming out now, buds not flowers. And the fall asters are in full bud, along with the tiny pink daisies that bloom in October. The cool weather has everything confused!

Roberta, as you are my couponing heroine I must admit Iíve falling off the bandwagon! Please forgive me and Iíll be making moves to jump back on! Thanks for continuing to post your marvels because they inspire me to motor on. Still need to figure out the Coke points, dh will have to switch from Pepsi to Coke once I do. How did VBS go?

Anna, July did fly by fairly quickly which is remarkable as it is a long month at 31 days. I too found many things in my search through the drawers, but not what I was looking for!

Liz, same here, on my good days (not depressed from work, tired from no sleep, bones arenít sore and muscles not complaining, husband is being supportive) I try to do it all to make up for the bad days. Pacing ourselves is hard when we donít know when weíll be fit enough to next get things done. A block party is when the neighbors put up barricades to block off vehicle traffic, bring all the food to the road, and have a picnic in the streets. It is really nice if there is shade and sun. And being as itís in the neighborhood, no one personís bathroom facilities get overrun, and no one has to clean their home for guests. Some block parties can be huge and require permission to block the roads, some are small and take place on the front lawns.

I was sorry to hear about your great grandmother and the flu pandemic. Please know that the CDC and Departments of Homeland Security are taking great measures with OIE and WHO to prevent any future pandemics of that kind. One thing that helps is if you do have the flu, please stay home and donít spread it around.

We use our dehydrator for herbs, and also small tomatoes. We do sliced apples which ought to be dipped in an acid like lemon juice or citric acid to stave off browning while drying. With a solid plate you can do Ďleathersí from fruit and vegetable purees. In lieu of any booklet stating what temperature to run it at for which foods, It is usually best to set the temperature at a medium heat level at first until you know how your dehydrator performs. Ziploc or jars to prevent rehydration work well. Some vacuum seal but we donít have one of those. My husband does many many many hot pepper rings and slices that way. Make sure you at least cut open the food, the heat must get to the inside so the whole product is dehydrated. Zucchini makes an exceptional product for soups. Onions too but those can be gotten in the store quite easily.

And, Liz, a two bedroom without a mortgage in the same village of your youth with parents close by sounds like heaven on earth.

Norma and Kathy, I too would like to return to family dinners. The dds brought the bachelorette party at camp this weekend back to our house to pick up dd1s car and I had a nice brunch waiting for them. How lovely to sit around the big table and talk and eat and talk some more.

Norma, I am so sorry to hear about the Return of the Rats. I donít understand why the city wonít get involved, it is a public health hazard (think hantavirus and rabies). Try calling the department of health? And see what prices an exterminator will give, maybe a bid war will work, there seems to be plenty of business for them in your neck of the woods. But I am very glad to hear about Ashaís loving you right back, so sweet!

Connie, so good to hear good news about the store and about Jasmine and Jeremiah taking on adult roles in life. Your thrift store buys are my envy! Our dehydrator is a Gardenmaster or something like that, round with trays that can be lifted off. Sometimes we tape on the outside of each layer what is drying on that layer. Very easy to lift and view and still keep the dehydrator running.

Anna, busy woman you! With dh home now he does the running to the bank and the post office, errands weíve been doing together and I am surprised how well we make decisions together. We had trouble with some ceramic canisters letting in those troublesome food moths, so I need to find a rubber ring or other Ďsealantí for the last canister, our dog biscuit holder which I am reluctant to give up. We have done the ziplocks inside for years and that is how my dd2 handles the ever present Santa Barbara ants in her kitchen. Our Goodwill used to have flatware at 19 cents each but the price went up like you said, so a whole bag for $5 is quite good. We are always low on teaspoons.

Well, the kitchen is done and I spent the weekend putting everything in a new place (whew!) and we are making final payments to the contractors today. We still have some trouble with the induction stove giving error codes every few days so weíll have the repairman come out and replace the EOC board (the brain board it is affectionately called). Too much money for a bad stove but it works like a charm and new pots and pans are lovely to cook with. Pictures later as this post is quite long enough!

I continue to look for jobs and be miserable at the manipulative-ness of my present supervisor. I think I am most angry at myself for falling into it than I am at her for being that way.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."

Last edited by ellenmelon; 08-04-2014 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:26 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

Good morning

CONNIE - glad you ALL had a nice time at the retreat.
I have a dehydrater that is those plastic stacking trays. How long do you do your herbs?

LIZ - sounds like a nice tribute in your area.

My grandfather (dad's father) and my uncle who was 6 months old both died within 2 weeks of each other during the 1914 flu pandemic. Can't imagine how grandma handled that. She was in her 20's and became a single mom of 2.

ELLEN - glad the kitchen is done. Can't wait to see pictures. Nice way to start the month!

It is another beautiful day. Maybe get above 85* today - if so that will only be the fifth day since July 1!!!! This summer has been lovely so far.

The last of the public schools started back today. Private schools vary in date. Saw the kids standing out waiting for the bus this morning.

Take care and have a nice day.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:16 AM

Ellen

I wish dh would handle some of it but he absolutely has no interest in anything but work most of the time. The only thing he gets excited about is his front porch sitting on Friday nights, the rest of the week not so much.

I'm thinking about steaming salmon for dinner tonight with veggies.

I was going to do some soliciting today but got too overheated doing the yard work this morning so think I'll just take a chill day, maybe run over to Aldi's and grab the girls some chicken.

Frugal so far is doing my own yard work, spraying the fence line with weed killer... Morning Glory as usual is trying to take over the property especially on Jay's side of the yard fence.

Put a call in at Krogers to a lady I have worked with for years she gave me the name and number of the person in charge of Charity events so hopefully we can get them on board for the raffle for the Cat Caper.

I made egg sandwiches for breakfast after I mowed, sitting in front of the fan now getting cooled down. AC is on high so unless it gets very hot it won't run. It's beautiful out there right now.

Anna

Closed Thread