Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

CHRIS - you are always so busy.

ROBERTA - Yes, it would be nice to hear that, but I don't think so either. It is so sad.

CONNIE - good luck tonight. God will lead you where you are suppose to be.

It is still a gloomy day here. Been in 60's all day - feels like October!
I picked more veggies. Most (except beans and peppers) are really slowing down now. Round one of tomatoes is about done on the vine - but lots of green ones out there.

I canned 7 more jars of salsa today. Picked 2 3/4 lbs. of grapes (after de-stemming). I need 3 1/2 lbs. for a batch of jelly. So I froze these today, until more ripen.

Made a nice batch of cream of zucchini soup. So tasty, and plenty left. All meals from home. Just working around the house today.

Have a great evening.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Nine Year Member

Evening peeps,

Popping in very quickly as 22:56 and I am tired.

Connie, thinking of you at your meeting tonight.

I have been reading but I am afraid my mind is blank.

We have signed the contract with the estate agent and the house should be put on the market around a week Wednesday. We have a couple of places we may be interested in buying, but think we may end up renting for 6 months. We will see, as renting is expensive, about 1200/$2017 per month for a small house.

Very tired as up every other hour or so last night for a loo visit.

I am home tomorrow, so will catch up with you all then.

Take care,

Liz x
Old 08-12-2014, 03:20 PM
Nine Year Member

I have been canning blueberries and cherries. Also slicing strawberries and putting them in the fridge with sugar on them. Two of our favorite local produce places have blueberries at 99 cents for 18 ounces. Cherries are 69 cents a pound. Strawberries are 25 cents a pound. We went back and got more blueberries and strawberries on Sunday afternoon after church. I already had blueberries and cherries in the freezer, and I put more blueberries in. We decided that since our electricity rates are at their highest for the year, we'll wait to do the rest of the canning when the rates go down. And if we wait until our lemons are ripe, we can use our own instead of buying them. I think we'll likely end up freezing some of the strawberries in sugar. DH loves them on pancakes. Canning is therapeutic for me. I love feeling like I'm being frugal and making stuff ahead, and I like being able to look at everything I've done. So I'm pretty pleased!

Having said all that, I must confess to feeling pretty much like a slug when I read how busy and productive all of you are. You all rock! How do you do so much?
Old 08-12-2014, 03:30 PM

Good evening all!!

Colleen, sorry you will be confined to home because mold in the air this time of year.

Cheryl, it has been rather cool here today too, and very rainy, with more on the way. They say it got to 80*, but if it did, it was real early. No ac, at all.

Connie, good luck with your proposal to the city, hope you get the building.

Chris, so, do you and Paul buy the same kind of baggies? I can see where combining two households would make for some "overlap" of things. But Chris, that cheesesteak is the best from anywhere in my opinion. It is worth the wait (about 1/2 hour), as well as the "red meat coma" to get one, once a year. More than that, it would lose it's appeal.

Anna, hope you were able to get some more donations today, and all your running around done.

Liz, I just got a book from the library, that might interest you. It is called, "The Diabetes Prevention and Management Cookbook" by Johanna Burkhard, and Barbara Allan, RD, CDE, written in 2013. The first portion of the book gives really good information on what to focus on, even sodium and cholesterol in foods, as well as sugars, carbs, and calories. It takes time to describe and define things that you might have questions about.

I also see (just got the book after work this afternoon) that the recipes are in American and European measurements. And it even has some balanced menus too. I will be inspecting this book much better after Monday. I need to study pretty hard and get my ducks in order (actually, the lesson plan is pretty comprehensive).

Better go for now. I need to get the dishes done, and hopefully, NCIS (reruns I haven't seen yet), and reading.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 08-12-2014, 05:10 PM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Norma I like NCIS also. The rerun is one I have seen before. Not much else on so I will watch it.

My car inspection went well. I will need back brakes soon. So I will plan on doing that in the fall.

Made dinner at home. Need to do some grocery shopping tomorrow night.

Charlotte
Old 08-12-2014, 08:29 PM
Assistant Moderator

Liz good luck on selling your house. Ouch, that is high rent.
Laura canning is theraputic for me too.
We didn't get the building. The city council was very rude and unethical to us. The price is $150,000. They don't care how much you have to put into it. The mayor moved old business to the end of the meeting once the meeting started, so we waited for over 2 hours before they got to old business. Back to the chalkboard.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

One of my cats knocked my cell phone off the shelf on my headboard where I keep it on the charger overnight. Noticed the next morning when I couldn't find it, then also noticed the charger plug was bent at the phone. It has continued to work okay for a few days until this morning I noticed it didn't charge last night. Went and wrote it on my list and then decided to go scrounging in dh's hobby room, found one, frugal yea!

Love those fruit prices you got Laura. I was at the grocery store yesterday, strawberries were $2.99 lb, didn't buy any. Cherries have been expensive too, not my favorite so I haven't had any so far this summer. Did buy peaches at $1.99 lb, 6 large peaches were $7.41. Also bought cantaloupe $1.50 and watermelon.

Got a reminder that it's been 3 months since I got tires on the car and that it was time for my 6,000 mile rotation, lol, not quite, I have driven 1400 miles though in that time. Frugal is not needing an appt yet. Rotation is free but it's in the city an hour away. Will do it on a trip for something else closer to the 6,000 miles.

Anna, you sure are getting some awesome donations for the cat caper, I'd love to go to that auction.

Roberta, I sure hope you get that good news any day on your dh's disability approval.

Chris, congrats to you and Paul, you sound very happy, much deserved.

Connie, was your bid accepted?

Cau, hope you were able to get everything you need to stay in a few days, don't forget you can always send one of the dd's or dgd. Hope you feel better soon.

Norma, best of luck on your upcoming evaluation, although I think you called it something else and I can't think of the word. You will do great I'm sure.

Liz, best of luck on the sale of the house.

Cheryl, sounds like you need more of those rest or "me" days, you are TOO busy most of the time.

Charlotte, sounds like you are doing fine.

Jacki
Old 08-13-2014, 02:11 AM
Nine Year Member

hi all, again a quick post...today is my last day of vacation...dd2 and her bf return tomorrow to California, and I will be sad but happy to have had this time with them.

school is done, I may get an A yet but we shall see..the professor is grading 40 papers in 2 days! nuts I am sure, so...I am hoping he likes what I've written, if not, oh well, time marches on and I've just one more class to go this fall.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 08-13-2014, 03:32 AM
Nine Year Member

Good Morning all,

Connie, sorry that it was not a favourable outcome for the building. You certainly seem to be very unfortunate with the people you come across.

Ellen, I am glad that you have had a nice time with your daughter and her boyfriend. I have relatives who live in Northern California, I may get to visit them one day if I can face the long flight. Not much longer before your final class.

Norma, thinking of you with all your studying too. How kind you are to be thinking of me while you are so busy. I have looked at the book you mentioned and it looks very interesting, I can buy it through amazon uk too!

Well, I had another night trekking to the loo, 8 times in 9 hours! I used to wake up a couple of times a night, but never 8. I will try and stop drinking earlier in the day and see if this helps.

Have written a list of must do jobs ready for the agent taking photos next wednesday, so I must crack on.

Take care all.

Liz x
Old 08-13-2014, 03:33 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Connie I am trying. Nothing you can do with what life has given you. You just have to go with it and move on. Some days are harder then others. I have decided that I am going to make the best of what I have and enjoy life. I will keep my memories close and make more memory's. Money is tight because I have decided to keep the house. But it can done and I will do it. I can always change my mind later on and sell it. As long as the girls are living here even part time like now. I will keep it.

Charlotte

Closed Thread