Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 07:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Liz you are right about role reverse, funny. Good luck on your house valuation. Ours needs updating

Anna Iím going this week so I will look for the pie. I think it is my favorite. They have a great price on strawberries too

Joyce I agree with you both Roberta & Norma are tops in couponing

Roberta all I can say is WOW

Norma I agree & that is what I plan on doing. I spend a lot on summer fruit but we love it & it is good for us so I go for it. I am also A sucker for the Farmerís Market.

Ellen good going on eating the healthy stuff you grew yourself & finding the way in. Now you can close the spots off

Cheryl Funny I was saying the same thing yesterday. After the 4th the summer seems to fly by.

Charlotte I hope you enjoyed the rest of your day, sorry to hear you need a new dishwasher

Rainy hot & muggy here, rain called for on & off all day. I am worried about the Kankakee River it is runny really high but I can only hope & pray. GMA was says gas prices rose again to $3.68 & I laughed we traveled a distance & used a prepay to get it that cheap. It is about 3.82 here. Working around the house & running to Jewel for a few things planned today. I found some bone in breasts in the back of the freezer. I will probably debone them & cook in gravy over stuffing muffins( bake faster) for dinner.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: I live in the foothills of Maine and near a major river. The area is quiet but we can be in a large city that has everything that you would want to visit. WE're two hours from Old Orchard Beach and it is so beautiful
This isn't couponing or anything like that. I checked the price of birthday cakes at WalMart and just a very simple cake started at $20.99 for a 9x13 cake. So I decided to make my great granddaughters Birthday Cake because it had to be a fairly large cake. the one I made is 20x14 and 3" deep. Everyone loved it especially my little 2 year old granddaughter.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2014, 10:00 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

ROBERTA - you have it really together.

No, I have never added plants & seeds into food budget - my cost is so minimal. Seeds I usually get at year end for pennies, and plants - did buy a few and my brother gives me many.
I do keep track of the poundage of food I pick though - by type. At the end of season I guesstimate the average selling price for the items x my weight and see my savings.

CHARLOTTE - at least there is the old fashioned way of doing dishes till the money works out for new.

LAURI - was it you that planted the ends of celery? I have one in water right now. On-line they tell about water method and planting. If you - did you cover or leave top open of dirt?

The estimator came out this morning to give estimate on whole house generator. Whew - on the cost! I am sure we will do it, just want to think about it a bit.
Dh knows how I panic on spending big chunks of money, so he even said he was fine if we got a home equity loan. Doesn't make sense to me, as they will charge a lot more interest than we make in the bank.
We also HAVE to get attic insulated and a new mattress this year. That all adds up to a chunk of change.

I then ran to Menards and got my seasoning packs for salsa, spaghetti, and pizza sauce on sale for half price!!! Also got some more canning lids as they were very cheap there. That will all go to grocery totals for the year ROBERTA.

Stopped and picked up some boxes up the street to start serious de-clutter project. Boxes free of course.

Picked more squash and cucumbers.

We had a big storm come thru while I was out. Luckily it didn't last too long. So no watering today! This looks to be the last really hot day for the rest of week. 4th is supposed to be sunny and in the 70's!!!

Need to get busy. Have a good one.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:01 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

GRANDMA - ADORABLE ON BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good job.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:38 AM

Haleysgrandma

Absolutely perfect and the cake is just beautiful.. well done.

Anna
Old 06-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Nine Year Member

Great job on the cake Joyce!!!!
Cheryl I did start a celery plant. I kept it in the water until it was about 2 inches high. It is now planted with the sprouts sticking out. The rest is covered in dirt. It seems to be doing well. It is about 4 inches high. My lettuce that I did was eaten by something. Had to be possible a squirrel or chipmunk. I had a few bean plants (in a railing planter) that got nibbled on. GRRRR.......We have lots of deer around but they did not do that damage. Things would have gotten knocked over because of the height.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 06-30-2014, 02:24 PM
Nine Year Member

and I just stick mine in the dirt about an inch, so it likes to grow, celery does
That CAKE! better than any storebought cake I've ever seen, and I decorated for extra cash at the local grocery store, that is one terrific cake!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 06-30-2014, 02:26 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

LAURI - thanks. Mine is in water and in 3 days is about an inch tall.
Sorry about the critters getting the plants.

Ellen - thanks

CAU - stay safe tonight - looks like another doozy of a storm coming.

Just been working around here this afternoon.
Made a pasta salad with plenty of fresh veggies and had that and tuna patties for dinner.
All meals at home today.
Kitties all fed and dishes done.

Have a great evening.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:12 PM

Good evening all!!

Ellen, I agree, you now know how they mice are getting in (were getting in??), and have the chance to fix it while the space is open.

Haley's Grandmom, wonderful job on the cake, and your little on is just the cutest thing too!! And yes, it is frugal to make your own. Especially if you are that talented.

Cheryl, you now have 3 "must have" items and I know you will prioritize them and get them in the right order.

I know you were happy to get the seasonings for such an inexpensive price.

Colleen, we haven't had rain, but it is predicted from Wednesday through Friday and highs in the 90's. But it is warm, so much so that I have the ac on since I came home, and will probably keep it on the next few days.

Anna, I would have taken all the pantiliners off your hands. I use them all the time.

Roberta, once in awhile WM has the size that fits the coupon, but you are so right - not often.

I also use different sites to bring to the forefront the coupon/sales matches. Sure helps.

Charlotte, sorry to hear about the demise of the dishwasher.

Went to work, then over to my sister's, she gave me a container of Comet - finding she has maybe 6 of them, and a couple of the XXL Ziploc bags, along with the coupons she is not using.

Came home, got corn ready for Elwood to pick up on his way home. Kyler came to lunch today, and asked nicely if I could include some for his parents as well as him!!\

Dinner is almost over, and then I will get the dishes done, and start crocheting again.

Better go for now. Take care all!! Norma
Old 06-30-2014, 03:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi everyone, hope your week started off well.

Cau, I hope you will soon be blessed with some sunny nice days and that you don't have flooding. I am like you I think the fresh good fruit is worth the extra price. I have made myself a fruit salad the last two days.

Haley's grandmom, your gd is a cutie and what a beautiful job on the cake. I bet it was good.

Cheryl, how do you freeze squash? I have never frozen any before. Also, after its frozen can you still use in any way or does that change things?

Norma, I like to use comet. Its an old but good cheap cleaner on certain things.

Frugal is today makes day 4 staying home and eating from home. Dh had the last of the leftover sausage with his breakfast, I fixed more squash out of the garden, heated up leftover mashed potatoes for dh to go along with the roast I fixed. Rinsed out the generic dawn several times to get a little more out of it and have been going through expired things in the refrigerator and getting it ready for trash day tomorrow. I ended up straightening out the pantry last night and have it looking better. I washed two loads of laundry today and put fresh bed clothes on the bed. Also have washed dishes by hand different of times today and cleaned the mirror and sink in my bathroom. So much more I need done but my back is hurting and it can wait. Well everyone have a good evening.
Jean

Closed Thread