Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 03:12 PM

What Did You Do Frugal Today~March 2013

For encouragement in frugal ways--large and small--look no further. This is where we share helpful hints for stretching our money, saving time and making sure we don't waste resources.

Remember, "frugal" does not mean "don't spend money!" It means "be wise with what you spend!"

What Did YOU Do Frugal Today?

Anna
Old 02-28-2013, 03:42 PM

Good evening again!!

Anna, thanks for the warning

I took a 1/2 hour break to call Travelers Insurance because they sent me an incentive to get quotes for both my home and car - a $20 Sunoco gas card. They tried the high pressure sell at the end, but I was good to my stated intention of not changing any policies tonight. And the card is now activated. Free money - yay.

Patrice, I am glad others gave you some ideas.

Roberta, that is a nice dr. I just got my next appt. with my dr. She wants bloodwork to see how the cholesterol drug is working, and of course, I lost the script. So I have an appt., and they are re-sending the script to me in the mail.

Cheryl, I will be checking out that website, thanks for posting it. And you are welcome for the muffin recipe. I like oatmeal muffins too. I got two redplums today. Just scanning the sale ads for this week, it looks like ribs and corned beef brisket are both $1.99 lb this week - good prices for this area. But there is no break at this point on cabbage, it is has been $.49 lb for awhile, and this week it is $.99 for 2 lb. I can wait for the next week, or even the week of St. Patty's day for cabbage, as it will be really inexpensive - usually drops to $.19 lb for that week.

Connie, hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Ladies, I need to go and get the dishes done, jammies on and get some crocheting done.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 02-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi everyone, we ended up getting some snow last night and its been a dark cold day here.

Anna, thats great that David's belt is getting too big. I know you must be proud of him for changing his eating habits so much. I am sure you have been a big help to him with his eating with preparing healthy foods and always making sure you have those things on hand.

Cheryl, thanks for that site. I have been reading on it some this evening and enjoying it. I am always looking for new sites to read on and its hard to find ones that I don't already know about or that is the kind of blog I like to read. Way to go on your savings for Feb. You do a great job.

JoAnne, who are you hoping wins Biggest Loser? I am looking forward to the makeover show next week. I hope the youngest girl on there wins. I can't remember the names very well. I really hope the lawyer lady doesn't win. I just don't care for her and she seems very well off already so I doubt she needs the money.

Frugal today has been staying home and eating what we had on hand. I fixed one of the sale pork tenderloins, cheesy potatoes and green beans for supper. I put leftover peas in dh's lunch instead of green beans. Heated up leftover apples and bacon from yesterday to go with dh's breakfast and my lunch today. Well speaking of food I need to go put up supper leftovers. Have a good evening everyone.
Jean
Old 02-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Nine Year Member

Anna don't forget you can poke a hole in David's belt giving him another notch to use while you look for a great sale or nice belts at the thrift store.

We had a dusting of snow this morning too but it melted during the day which is fine with me.

I'm cleaning my 5th apartment tomorrow and received the check for the 4th one this week so all is good on that front.

Roberta
Old 02-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Assistant Moderator

subbing
Old 02-28-2013, 06:54 PM

Norma

We have had Travelers for over 20 years they are a very good company and don't diddle around with raising your prices every year or throwing surprise loopholes at you like you had a few years back about your age change.. at least I think that was you.

And Roberta

Yes, dh has done that with belts in the past.

Tonight wasn't good.. he hurt his "good knee" again at work today, just got up and out it went again. He hurt so bad his co worker and friend Steve had to go clock him out from work. He spent the evening with a cold ice bag and heat pad, and I wrapped it before he went to bed with a extra Ace bandage wrap we had here. I am hoping by morning it'll be some better but looking like our Saturday "date" will not be on so he can nurse it back to health again. He said he thinks he favored it so much when his other leg was bad that he is automatically still favoring it and putting too much strain on it.

I went to Michaels today and was good... I went in for a silk bird for dd's Christmas tree next year and had a coupon from Joann's for 40% off. I also found another bird that looks like glass but it's actually acrylic but a pretty blue color and tied with a silk ribbon for hanging. So I got both birds for her for Christmas gifts for $4.04. And at Walmarts they had oil lamps for $6.97 so I bought her one of those for Christmas along with a small bottle of lamp oil $3.97. The goal is to buy a few things at a time for my family instead of being stressed out towards the holidays of trying to buy all at once. And watching for sales as I go. Dh thought the "glass bird" was beautiful and could also be used for hanging on the car mirror so that one might be repurpused for a birthday gift. I'll also be buying the same for my sister. Oh and the cashier was nice and gave me a 50% off coupon that she had instead of the 40% off one I had.

I'm kind of keeping my eyes open as I stroll through the craft stores of nicer things that I can buy later with a coupon to greatly reduce the price.

Anna

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 02-28-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks so much for the ideas!!!

OMG, the interview was amazing! I can't wait to share it with everyone tomorrow. I am still amazed at how it went. I can't wait to see it again myself.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Just a quick hello.
Frugal here was getting the ingredients to make fudge to take to a "food day" at work tomorrow using the Discover GC I got the other day. A long-time employee is retiring...and we are sending her off with food! Still some left on the GC.
Had a really good night at the gym tonight. Spent a lot of time on the treadmill--I'm no where near where I was with running just a few years ago, but it does feel like my body at least remembers what it is doing. That's a bonus.
Well, goodnight all. I wanted to comment to everyone, but I'm beat! Sleep well everyone!
Old 03-01-2013, 02:52 AM

Good morning all!!

Chris, hope you have a good day today. What a way to go out - with fudge.

Charlotte, prayers for you to have a good day, and hoping your cold is better.

Jean, way to go on having everything you need on hand for all your meals. Did you ever find the containers you were looking for to organize some more of your stuff?

Anna, Travelers was quoting me twice the amount I pay for auto insurance for 6 months, even though their quote for homeowners was about 30% less than I pay yearly for that. That was only if I bought the auto too. So I wasn't saving anything, paying a lot more. Not a good deal. And yes, the first thing they asked was my birthdate. Even driving a 10 year old car and only going 6 blocks to work had no effect on the price.

Sorry David hurt his knee. Did they give him any exercises to do to strengthen either or both of his legs/knees?

Patrice, I am glad the interview went so well. Would you please re-post the link since we closed the February thread? We are all thrilled for your success. How did Lea like seeing you on tv?

Roberta way to go about getting yet another apartment to clean. I know you do an excellent job, and they are happy to have you.

I ended up not doing too much. I am making a mental list of what I want to pull together and get to my dn's home. I have to put it in writing.

Ladies, better go for now. I am doing Alice's e-mails today as she is off. Her church is selling spaghetti dinners tomorrow and she always works in this affair.

Alice didn't know 'til yesterday that I had a piece of the carrot cake she made for the Coffee House. I was good, that was the only dessert I had, and it was really tasty. We were talking, and for some reason I asked who made the carrot cake, and she admitted it was her. She had decorated each piece with a chunk of pineapple, a pecan sitting at an angle against the pineapple and then a sprinkling of coconut over that. It was nicely displayed.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 03-01-2013, 02:56 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Norma good job on getting the free gas card. I used my Redners pump card yesterday for gas and got gas for $3.46 last night.

Got my electric bill for last month. It finally went over $200 first time this winter. So my turning down the thermostat 2 degrees has really made a differnce this winter on my heating bill. I also use the wood burning stove when I am home.

Time to get ready for work.

Charlotte

Closed Thread