Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 05:09 AM

What Did You Do Frugal Today~September 2012

For encouragement in frugal ways--large and small--look no further. This is where we share helpful hints for stretching our money, saving time and making sure we don't waste resources.

Remember, "frugal" does not mean "don't spend money!" It means "be wise with what you spend!"

What Did YOU Do Frugal Today?

Anna
Old 09-01-2012, 05:21 AM

Good Saturday Morning Everyone

Todays frugal? We are going to have rain for the next several days doesn't sound like we're going to get the heavy winds that come with the Hurricane weather for which I am very thankful. I will be hanging clothes on the inside clothesline today and continuing on trying to organize in the house.

I may make more strawberry jam today for some reason the last 2 batches I've made it had been too runny so I'm hoping todays batch turns out better. What I am selling my neighbor is what I made in April's batch. I'm thinking the new batches maybe I don't have enough sugar and chopped the strawberries too fine, making more of a jelly than jam?? We're using it ourself it's a soft spread instead of thick.

I also want to run back up to Krogers maybe take Maddy and Jessie with me so they can 1. Get more of the Carefree pantiliners, I overlooked that sale 20 pack $1.04 after coupons 4 cents plus tax so I think 11 cents each? That way they'll also get to experience the thrill of getting something cheap and close to free. I think on the pads that sale last till Sept. 9th so still plenty of time to get more. I'm so glad I can finally use them again the cloth diaper thing was pretty icky but a necassary evil with my allergic reaction to the pads, glad they seem to have changed the chemicals in them and of course I'm steering away from anything with liners and the plastic lining on those.

I hope everyone is enjoying their 3 day weekend, we're staying close to home. I'll miss Wanda over the next day or two since we sit outside every morning. Her son is talking seriously (finally) about putting a porch on for her which will be nice for all of us.

Anna
Old 09-01-2012, 05:27 AM
Nine Year Member

Subbing for now~!

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 09-01-2012, 05:51 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

ROBERTA - I did that last year at Kroger as well. I called corporate office and complained that there ad was not clear. They gave me the points "that time" as they said. They can ad them to your account. It may be worth it to call and complain.
I can undertand it though. You get extra points when buying card, then you would get points for using it. Double whammy. There ad is not clear at all.

ANNA - I used 5 of the same coupons a couple days ago at Kroger and no one said anything. You should be able to go to web site and see and print policy.

NORMA - I am not OCD about cleaning either - but some things are just gross. The yard smells of dog poo. 3 - 4 dogs (they had sleep overs w/other dogs!) and it was never picked up. UGH! The couple times I was in the house, it was a mess. You would think a 24 year old should know how to clean and have a bit of pride about herself.

Good morning all. HAPPY SEPTEMBER!
I can't believe it's already September. This year has gone by quickly.

We still haven't gotten rain, however it is now in the state. They say about 2PM here. Not supposed to be as bad as they predicted.

Our AC has decided to quit. I thought the air felt warmer last night. Went out to feed kitties this morning and heard the unit make a hum noise. Called our HVAC guy immediately. He will be here in about an hour or so. Hope it's something simple - as the unit is only about 5 years old.
It's in the 70's, which is good, but kind of muggy.

I may go cut the neighbor's front yard after he leaves, if it's not raining. At least it will look good from the street!

Need to get busy. Wishing you all a lovely holiday weekend.
Stay Safe!
Old 09-01-2012, 06:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Wow, Can't hardly believe September is here already. The last couple of months have gone by so fast.

Anna, on your berries...are you chopping them up or mashing them with a potato masher? I use the potato masher when I do mine I makes it to turn out like preserves. You may be using to much liquid, I don't know. I know I always have a time when I do apricot jam sometimes it sets up sometimes not.

Last edited by LaurieS; 09-01-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:17 AM
Assistant Moderator

Roberta yes we have a 'office' in the city office building. It hasn't been used for so long it is a mess. I have tried to tidied it up but then the city gals dump more crap in there. I used my scrapebook progam and printed on the envelopes. When I dropped the to be mailed off to another board member he tried to get me to go to the PO. I took care of that quickly. I have to talk to some people about fireworks then I can sit back and watch nothing happen. lol

I would be calling Kroger on the gas points.

Our neighbors dog run smells this year too. I noticed the gal we babysat for took the dog to her neighbors for a few days. The dog was back last night. She never cleans the run. Sends the kids out to do it but never her. Really wish that family would come unglued on her. The way she treats her mom and grandfather and kids is terrible. I keep praying.

Tonight we will go to a labor day bash. This guy worked with hubs until he retired last year. He gets together with his band members over labor day weekend. The guy who plays the piano.....wow. Might see if Jeremiah wants to go for a while and play his guitar with Hank.

We have water going on the lawn. I know I said I would not water this huge lawn but we will lose the grass if we dont. Hopefully this will be the last time we have to water. It takes about three to four days to water the front and back yard with the walking sprinkler.

I have one load of laundry done and ready to hand out. Waiting for the sprinkler to be done in that part of the yard. I don't know if I will help in the basement on the floor or play catch up with a couple of rooms that need cleaning. Think I will make fresh salsa to take tonight. And brownies.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Roberta I would also be livid. I would write to corporate to complain & the BBB.

Norma Hopefully she will want to heal. But it is really beyond you control so turn her over to God & relax. I like your idea of the bleach water. We have a lot of plastic drinking containers & I use baking powder & hot water to get the tea & lemonaid stains out.

Anna great deal on the pads, I agree if you have animals take care of them & their messes. I hope your jam turns out

Cheryl good luck on the ac, mine needed a new motor and something else in July, a necessary bill for sure.

Quiet morning here, dark & cloudy, the rain finally hit. Lord knows we need the rain I just hope no flooding. Dgd is back in the swing of school. Dh only drives 3 days a week this year so that is good & it works for us as they are pool days & we need to get up early anyhow. . We made it to the pool for 3 days this week which is good. I had to cancel plans for a visit and couple day stay with old friends due to his knee. He is getting a series of 5 shots to replace the fluid in his knee & hopefully ease the pain

Old 09-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Assistant Moderator

Anna here is how to fix jam. How to Fix (or Remake) Jam or Jelly That Turns Out Too Soft or Runny
Old 09-01-2012, 09:23 AM

Good afternoon all!!

It is up to 88* right now. Very, very muggy. I am happy to stay inside with the crochet hook.

I just pass the bleach/detergent water from container to container until they have all been cleaned. I have to do this every few weeks because they are all clear (except the thermos), and stain so readily.

Cau, you are so right about my sister. I got her some tomatoes from the farm stand this morning for her. When I got to her house, she still hasn't had the cool water pump hooked up yet. I offered to do it for her, but she refused. I can only offer. I know that.

Cheryl, hope someone comes to fix your ac unit quickly. My dn and his wife are moving because their landlord doesn't want to replace the unit, said it would cost upwards of $8000. Also hope your unit is a quick fix.

I am OCD about others not taking care of their animals or where they poo and pee. I just think that if you own an animal you need to be very clean in those areas. It is so unfair to the animals if you are not. A little dust in my house is a different story.

Anna, I got all the chores done except changing the sheets. I am still looking at them. I am thinking hot dogs and beans with a tomato salad for dinner.

Well all, back to the hook.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 09-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

Good afternoon ladies!

Boy am I bushed! The AC guy came 50 minutes early and 20 minutes later and $190.00 we were up and running. Ouch on the money - but to have it fixed so timely on a holiday weekend was worth it!
He told me how pretty he thought our yard was (should have seen the dessert a month ago). Thought the grape arbhor was gorgeous. I told him I had made one batch of jelly so far. He was impressed I knew how. LOL!
When he left I asked if he would like a jar of homemade jelly - "Oh man, you bet I do!" He was a happy camper.

I then went and mowed the front yard next door. It takes me 1 1/4 hours to do our whole yard. It took me 2 1/2 to do their front. Of course it's 3 lots wide, was 8" tall, and had weeds above my knees. I was doing the funeral march, I had to walk so slow!!!! I took the mulch thingy off mower, to make it easier. It looks GREAT!
I also did one swipe in back against my fence (on their side). Then pulled weeds I couldn't mow and cut out all wild trees and such. WHEW!!!!!
My neighbor across the street cracked up when he saw me. Called me the Green Swamp Monster!!!! I was covered head to toe with grass.
My feet and back are so sore. I keep getting cramps in my legs! Drinking lots of liquid to replenish.

Cleaned mower. Took a shower and changed clothes.
Ran up to get a couple Lotto tics, as I had $10 in winning tickets.
Stopped at Marsh and got a 1.99 watermelon (today only).

Tempted to get fast food, but I am going to make pizza at home instead. That's easy. All meals from home today.

So much for my 'best laid plans' of canning today. There's always tomorrow! I will need to pick grapes this weekend too.
We got a few showers about 2PM - more later. Very muggy.

Well, got to feed my babies, and get pizza crust started so it will rise.
Have a great evening.
I'm going to REST!!!!!!!

Last edited by pootersmommy; 09-01-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Closed Thread