Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 02:19 AM

What Did You Do Frugal Today~August 2012

For encouragement in frugal ways--large and small--look no further. This is where we share helpful hints for stretching our money, saving time and making sure we don't waste resources.

Remember, "frugal" does not mean "don't spend money!" It means "be wise with what you spend!"

What Did YOU Do Frugal Today?

Anna
Old 08-01-2012, 02:26 AM

Lisa

Continuing from July 2012 glad to see you posting, we miss you.. you are a important part of our group as a long term member here at Family Corner. Those of us who have been here awhile can remember when your kids were still little and your frugal journey through the years. You are a inspiration to all of us.

Anna
Old 08-01-2012, 02:28 AM

Frugal...

One of the many things I have learned from our power outage the end of June through the beginning of July 2012 is we really don't need as many lights on in the house as we thought and I keep more lights off now and later in the evening. Thus saving a little more on the electric bill long term.

Anna
Old 08-01-2012, 02:55 AM

Good morning all!!

Lisa, glad you were able to even pop in. Life can sure get in the way of chatting with us.

Connie, glad you were able to make the dress.

Cheryl, I am not sure, but welbutrin is probably one of the meds my sister takes in in conjunction with a whole slew of others. That might explain a lot. But trying to take any of them away from her, would be trying to wrestle a bear.

That is an amazing amount of tomatoes. I can see a lot of tomato-based meals in your future this winter. My tomato plants are just done - no tomatoes this year. The green bean plants got to about 12" tall, not a bean on them. I was watering every other day for about an hour at a time too. It just didn't make any difference. This is just not a good year for growing here in the garden state.

Anna, thanks, I hope my sister makes out well too.

As I have said for years, my house is really small, so I seldom have more than 2 rooms lit at any one time. Usually the kitchen and the lamp in the living room in the evening or after the light changes in late afternoon. After the dishes are completed at night, the kitchen one goes out. I do have a nightlight in the bathroom.

I worked on a hat a little while watching NCIS last night. It was not only a re-run, but I know I have seen this one at least partially twice before. I want re-runs that I have not seen as re-runs yet. Because in September, when the new shows begin, I go back to Bible Study on Tuesday evenings, and will miss the shows again.

Well ladies, better go for now and get ready for work. My one co-worker has been on vacation, and will be back tomorrow. We survived the "end of month" uproar, and everything that goes along with that. Probably tomorrow I will get those statements to get out.

My frugals today will be all meals from home. The ac will go back on when I leave to ensure Ms. Asha is cool throughout the day.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 08-01-2012, 03:34 AM

Good Morning Everyone

So far today, I have the dehydrator going again with the apples from yesterday, working on the dishes, watered what tomato plants are producing and will be out there in a bit tearing out the ones that didn't produce anything after the initial flowering.. such a disappointing season, the only big tomato shriveled up before it completed it's process. Next year I'll be doing these from seed, I paid over $100 for everything this year and didn't do well at all. This is the first year ever that we didn't get decent tomatoes if not crop busters. The hot peppers are doing well.

I'm also working around the house, have laundry to do and hang outside this morning. My frugal was resisting yesterday doing a load of clothes that wasn't a full load, giving my water, electric and washing machine a break.

Connie

Awesome on making the dress that quick.. I keep saying this is one of your true talents and you should seriously think about that as a form of income. I wish I were talented like that.

I saw on a featured news article about a woman who makes jogging outfits for cancer patients... she makes a zipper slit in the arms and legs for chemo ports and is making a fortune doing it. She had 3 relatives back to back with cancer and listened to the problems they had with being in a chilly environment but not being able to dress warmly because of the ports.

Anna
Old 08-01-2012, 03:54 AM
Nine Year Member

I received my utility bill yesterday and I'm still recovering from the shock UP $51, yikes.

I need to get the kids to where they are going this morning then call DH's urologist to cancel todays appointment as he is sick. I hope we don't get a bill from them for cancelling.

Roberta
Old 08-01-2012, 04:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Happy first day of August everyone!

Roberta, I'm not looking forward to seeing my electric bill either, we have been running the AC so much. We are on equal pay but I still see the usage.

Our tomatoes are really just coming on we are about a month behind you guys. We should have quite a few come late Aug/early Sept.

I need to weed the back yard and mow later. We haven't had any rain for a while so the grass isn't growing very fast.

Lisa, Good to see you!
Old 08-01-2012, 04:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Happy August 1st!!! I cannot believe it's back to school month, although at work we have our back to school things out so it shouldn't surprise me, right? Megan has to register for her junior year tomorrow. Will only cost me $10 for her art supplies. I told Ted the other day, one of the things about being "poor" is that we do get free registration and books.

I'm having to use Rachel's laptop because my desk top fried. I have someone looking at it, hoping he can at least retrieve my pics and documents. I'm sure I'm going to have to save up to get another desktop. Thankful Rachel bought the used laptop from a woman I work with for only $100.

Time's going too fast this morning so there's not much time to chat. Will chat later on tonight, after I put in Alyssa's floor. Yes, of course I have a project going on...I wouldn't be me if I didn't!

Have a wonderful day my friends!

Blessings,
Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oops, have to sub, crap, hate when I forget that!

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:09 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

Good morning everyone.
HI - LISA - good to see ya!!

I very seldom turn on a light in the summer. I have a night light in bath and LR. It stays light till 9:30 here, and after that the TV puts out enough light.

It is a cooler morning. Was in 60's first thing. Supposed to get to low 90's and NO humidity.
We had the hottest July in IN on record! Had the driest June on record! I think we are over-achievers!!!!!!!!!!!!
We are now over 10" down on rainfall. Only got about 1/2" in July.
Oh, I just want to be normal!!!!!!!!!!

Many of our school districts start back today. So many have gone to "year round" school.

Got to get busy. Have a good one

Closed Thread