Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 05:30 PM

What Did You Do Frugal Today~December 2011

For encouragement in frugal ways--large and small--look no further. This is where we share helpful hints for stretching our money, saving time and making sure we don't waste resources.

Remember, "frugal" does not mean "don't spend money!" It means "be wise with what you spend!"

What did YOU do frugal today?

Anna
Old 11-30-2011, 06:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

subbing.....lol.

http://ehale.avonrepresentative.com/
Old 12-01-2011, 03:36 AM

Good morning all!!

Anna, I applaud your efforts at homebaking. I love to bake, and hope to be getting some done on Saturday.

Ericka, anything that can get us excited to read is a good thing. I want a kindle or nook or one of the e-readers, but need to find one within my budget.

I hear from Ellen over the weekend. She is busy, trying to keep up with work, family, holidays, etc.

I have not heard from Suellen.

Jacki, are you ok, I heard there are severe power outages due to wind in CA. I hope you were not affected.

Not a lot going on here. No, we didn't make a police report, at the request of the person whose meds it was. Questions about why he was carrying so many on him at one time, etc. might have arisen. It was an irresponsible thing for him to have any more than he is allowed to take during his work hours with him. Or, he should have one of those pill bottles that hang around his neck, so that it is definitely "on his person". I am frustrated with the fact that I am, along with everyone who is innocent, being lumped together with the thief, and accused of something, and have to face consequences of this person's mis-judgment.

Oh, the drama yesterday, was that I had received an e-mail from Spalding, the ball maker, about lead in some vinyl they had bought from us. Seems they had the vinyl tested for lead because they were putting it on pummel horses and balance beams. I sent the report they sent to me to my supervisor, and eventually to one of our design staff because Spalding wanted some suggestions on substitutions. The owner of the company who makes the vinyl, came in yesterday himself for a meeting with our vice president because of that report. I had several "low voice" calls from upstairs in the meeting asking questions about the address we sent the vinyl too, how many orders we had from them, that kind of thing. I left before they left, and they wanted to meet and talk to Alice on my way out the door. Turns out that if you get test results back with this kind of info, you are required by law to inform a whole host of people. I didn't want the report, or the e-mail to mysteriously disappear from my computer, so I made sure I forwarded it to just enough people.

Had a good spa night last night. It was pretty relaxing.

Need to go so I can get lunch put together and get out the door.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 12-01-2011, 04:35 AM

Norma

I did wonder why your co worker had that many pills at work with him. Dh has a pill box that he fills every Monday morning with enough pills for 5 days ( pills he takes at lunch time). He has had them stolen many years ago when I still worked there, joke was on the person who stole them though they were diuretics that they stole. Scary to steal pills and not even know what the heck you are stealing!

Wow on the lead in the vinyl, that would never have occurred to me that it would be in there and good for Spaulding for checking it. Now it makes me wonder about the balls I buy for our dogs, they aren't even made in the USA I don't think. Are my dogs chewing on lead?

I don't think I'm going to do the baking today after all think I'll wait till next week to finish up the project. I've finally sat down this morning and started going through the coupons to send to the coupon club.

Anna
Old 12-01-2011, 04:39 AM
Nine Year Member

I spent way to much at the grocery yesterday, saved 40% though. I keep telling myself that in December we wont need much which most of what was boughten will be for Dec. I did get 9 Air Wick candles to add to Christmas gifts with sale & coupon they ended up being $1.80 a piece.

I picked up 14 bags of frozen veggies after sale & coupons worked out to $1.04 a bag most being the bigger bags that will last us 2-3 meals each. But darn it I forgot the Lima beans when I was picking veggies so I will have to pick them up to make my turkey soup in the next week or so.

I was able to get 6 Sierra Mist 2 ltrs for FREE clearing the shelf of the regular. I did pick up 5 bags of dog food (70lb) of a better quality food on sale, after coupons was $.95lb. The dogs have liked the samples and small bag I bought before of it and wont be needing that for a couple of months.

Have a load of laundry in the wash on cold will hang to dry today. Working on printing out invoices and picking up and clearing clutter today for a bit will need to get the new brochures delivered this afternoon when it is a bit warmer, 27 degrees right now had heavy frost on the car.

Roberta
Old 12-01-2011, 04:53 AM
Nine Year Member

Connie, I believe WIC would substitute Soy milk for the regular milk probably needs a precription from a doctor for the allergy.

Roberta
Old 12-01-2011, 05:59 AM

Well frugal today is grooming Windi. She has alot of fur around her butt and being fat, she can't get back there to clean herself so she had a stinky butt this morning, Ugh! I gave her a soak in the tub (filled it 1/3 full with warm water and let her soak in there about 10 minutes she's too fat to jump out, LOL! Washed her with her special medicine shampoo, rinse her off after I let the water drain dried her off and clipped her toenails. Oddly she never lets us do her toenails but today she did, maybe because she was so relaxed from her "spa day"? I had trimmed her with the electric dog shears before she got her bath. So at least on the nail trimming that saved me $14 plus who knows what it would cost for the rest of that grooming?

Anna
Old 12-01-2011, 06:07 AM
Nine Year Member

Hey all , I am okay, just getting ready for houseguests and trying to keep up with the ongoing clean up the piles of STUFF around the house...Last night a whole eight foot closet shelf fell down in our storage closet, all soft goods but now I have to pick it all up and use screws instead of nails in the studs...so I put that off and wrote a belated Thanksgiving letter to my mom instead!

here are some frugal ideas I've been using lately:

An old purse is my lunchbox. It fits all the breakfast, lunch, and snack tupperwares as well as my umbrella and newspaper that I read on the bus in the mornings.

Duct tape comes in prints now! just think of the possibilities.

Black Friday shopping without credit cards, as I misplaced my purse while travelling, is actually possible. The sales were incredible. I cyber shop but had to go to Sears with DH to get a tire pump and battery charger. In my next life I am going to study the electrical trades, sure saves money for us because he can repair almost anything!

Using already cooked turkey pieces in a Macaroni Grill Chicken Piccata dry boxed meal actually works fine.

Color Catchers actually do work. If you have to do mixed color loads, use them.

LED christmas lights: last longer and don't break as often. Use a fraction of the electricity.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 12-01-2011, 06:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Subbing for now....back later!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:31 AM

Ellen

Glad to see you and that's a great idea for the old purse. Old purses are also great to use in the bathroom cabinet for emergency medical kits, just grab and go. And Oh boy on the shelf giving way, what a hassle to clean up.

All is quiet here on the home front, have been going room to room trying to put things away. Clutter takes over so darn quickly. I have 2 bags of stuffed animals in the car that I need to bring in and fit in the deep freezer. I leave them in there 3 days before allowing to air dry again at room temp. then putting in the storage tub till I take them to the mall. I only had room in the freezer for one bag but need to unload the car for tommorows shopping trip.

Anna

Closed Thread