Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 03:29 AM

What Did You Do Frugal Today~September 2011

For encouragement in frugal ways--large and small--look no further. This is where we share helpful hints for stretching our money, saving time and making sure we don't waste resources.

Remember, "frugal" does not mean "don't spend money!" It means "be wise with what you spend!"

What did YOU do frugal today?

Anna
Old 09-01-2011, 04:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thumbs up

Thanks for the opinions on laundry. I wash the bedding on hot because ds and dd have asthma, and several doctors have recommended hot washing to cut down on dust mites. I'm going to keep using cold water, mostly, and if dh doesn't like it he can wash his own clothes.

My task, and I don't have any choice in accepting it, is to look for inexpensive sources of jeans. DS is growing like a weed, and he's past the point where I can take his jeans down. If I sewed ribbon on the bottoms, he'd run screaming into the night. DD cut off the legs of all her jeans, without permission, to make summer cutoffs. I am going to check at Goodwill, but I may have to hit the stores and look for sales.

http://adventureswithtootsandtheninja.blogspot.com/

Be quite sure that God will bless you and that the depths of your sufferings will be matched by the consolation reserved for you.

St. Therese of Lisieux
Old 09-01-2011, 04:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oh my Goodness, September already!

Lewcas, my girls did that too but their jeans were at flood stage so I gave them the go ahead. My 12 yr old dd is growing like a weed, I hear ya.

Basically just subbing. Have to get the trouble child, Megan, up. She's so difficult to get moving in the morning!

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Good Morning everyone.

My two cents on the refigerators..I have a side by side my third one. The last two have had the ice and water feature on the door. I love my side by sides. I don't have a problem with pizza boxes, but we aren't pizza eaters here.

DH wants to go to the State Fair today, so gonna put on my walking shoes!
Old 09-01-2011, 05:03 AM
Nine Year Member

Ordered 2 packages of 5 ct Composition books 100 pages for $.40 a package from walmart.com and had it site to store delivered last night so will pick them up today when I'm there. Don't need them right now but at $.08 a piece couldn't hardly pass that up as they will be used next year or the year after. Not sure if they have them at that price at the store if they do it is a new item from two weeks ago.

Roberta
Old 09-01-2011, 09:30 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Lisa I don't miss getting Stephanie up for school any more. Bless you.

Yesterday dh shampooed the livingroom carpet. He did the dishes and dishwasher. He made dinner on the grill and we ate outside on the deck. He had wine chilled. I stopped and pick up a pie and fruit. We had a lovely evening together.

Daisy(puppy) went to the vet yesterday and got fixed. Dh picked her up today. They also put a locator chip in her. That is good if she gets lost sense she is a hunting dog you never know.

Tonight dh and I will pick up something to eat on the run. We need to go to Lowes to pick out a storm door for the front door. I need to pick out a replacement door for my patio door. I hate the sliding door that is there now.

Charlotte
Old 09-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hello everyone,

My young dgs just left with his very handsome father, my ds, LOL. He is just the best child, so interesting and interested in everything. He was just excellent, good manners, so I told my son you guys are sure doing something right. He slept in our spare room, that is half of our junk room, andtold me that he slept just great. He & I did some jigsaw puzzles, and I taught him how to use water colour paints. He played on the computer, and watched tv and was no trouble at all. So cute!
I went to the movies yesterday with sis & a friend to see "Help". It was wonderful, and I definitely would give it an A+, and recommend it to anyone. It is a bit of a chick flick, but enough humour and interesting plots to keep everyone interested.
We went to the matinee and I was so surprised to see how many people around my age there also. It was $6.64 for seniors over 65 and $8.64 for adults. I had a $60.00 gift card so I could treat them. They bought drinks & one tub of popcorn to share, and I'll bet it cost them more than the admission. Terrible prices in the theatre.
My sis has had a side by side refrigerator for years, and she really loves it. It has water and ice on the door., myself, I wouldn't thank you for it. If I had to buy a new one, I would have no freezer, as I have a chest freezer, and I would like more refrigerator space instead.
Not too much new or frugal around here, other than eating up things from home, and doing up the laundry in cold water. I use cold for everything, I believe it doesn't make any difference. I use bleach in my white load such as towels, etc. Everything is lovely and clean & smells good when I'm done.

Enjoy the day e1,
Old 09-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks, for the birthday and anniversary wishes.

I understand children growing. I have purchased a few pairs of pants at the thrift store for my son who is turning 14 in Oct. Otherwise what have been buying is shorts for him. As even his shorts were getting to short for him. He is all legs in his build.

Cleaning and organizing and getting ready for my daughter's 16th birthday party. She is excited and so am I. I did decide to buy her a cake, as it will be easier and I know she will enjoy it.

Eating from home tonight. Had leftovers and stuff on hand for lunch. Working on gifts for my husband's birthday, as well as picking up a few things tomorrow and getting ready for a party on Saturday for my daughter. As we decided to have it on Sat. rather than Sunday, so it was a little separate from our anniversary and my husband's birthday. Wednesday, my hubby took the day off to spend with me on my birthday. So I am looking forward to that too.

God bless you all.
I hope all have a good day and a happy Labor Day weekend, and Labor Day.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Assistant Moderator

subbing..

Dena the party sounds great.

Fingers crossed right now my kids don't need clothes. Jasmine will need more since she lost so much weight. Forgot about that! Ty will need and need... forgot about that too. He has a job, he can pay for his own. He paid us rent plus money for groceries. Wonderful. No overtime pay. Some rule that anything over X hours the board has to okay. I am seriously looking into a new blog with ads. Need to learn more about blogging. Jumping in might be the way to do it.

Yes dh is going to work on a schedule. I think he has worked every holiday this year. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, New Years, Memorial Day and 4th of July. Enough!!! Time for dh to grow a couple or this job will take advantage of him too.

Last edited by bluebird; 09-01-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Connie,Sounds like eveything is going good on your end.
Lewac,Not sure if my youngest will need new jeans or not.I have been getting her shorts and jeans at Goodwill.I am just glad she is using a belt.
Denhowdy,Way to go on the cake.
Roberta,Smart thinking getting all those compsotion books.
Frugal for me?I went to work and stopped by my Doctor's office to pick up some free samples and some coupons.Then went to the bank to put some money in.
No money is being spent here.A very hot day here and tommorrow here so I know the a/c will be running.
Joanne,Glad you had fun at the movies.
So we are home and I will get the middle dd when she is done with practice.
Mish

Closed Thread