Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

ROBERTA - painting can be a chore. SOunds like you are getting a good start.

ANNA - Cocoa sure is a beauty

LAURIE - good luck to your dh on his hunting trip.

CONNIE - sure hope Ty gets some relief - poor guy

NORMA - vent all you want. I know it has to be frustrating

MISH - congrats to your dd on the new job. What will she be doing?

CHARLOTTE - glad your dd is having a great birthday.

FRUGAL today - Scrubbed the bathroom top to bottom. Cleaned the kitchen floor. Had a nice long visit with the in-laws. Had a really late (tiny) lunch. DH had a couple pieces of toast with homemade jam (he thought that was heavenly), I had some cheese and crackers. Supper was burgers and leftovers.
Have had the windows open all day and AC is off.

It's been cloudy, breezy and got to about 80 today. Supposed to get rain, but haven't seen nary a drop! It's so frustrating - it rains all around us. So I did water a little tonight - just about out of rain water from the barrels.

Got my babies all fed, except Momma. She disappeared to somewhere this afternoon. Must be out roaming. She was asleep on the porch till about 3:00. She'll be back soon especially if she's hungry!

Have watched the Walton's marathon off and on today. I just love those old wholesome shows.

I hope you all enjoy an extra day off this weekend! have a great one.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Charlotte - It is true that if you want to see what your wife will be in 20 yrs, look at her Mother. Sounds like that with your DIL. I have a male friend who says he married his ex-wife because she was the prettiest thing he'd ever seen, and wanted to get her away from her verbally abusive Mother who could go on for hours abusing her daughter. Ironically, his ex-wife turned out to be a carbon copy of her Mother!
Anna - so glad to hear your palm pilot works and has all the parts. It's hard to think you would have to pay more to get the right parts than you paid initially for the item.
No rain here in SC, but it is coming, overcast all day.
I traded coupons with a friend today, gave him Burger King coupons and he gave me coupons he gets in Banquet Meals, on other items the company makes like Ketchup and coffee. Stopped at the library where I cut coupons in the coffee shop every lst and 3rd Sunday, but the volunteer was in the Book Store as they have more business there. His wife, who helps on Sundays, was sick today.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good evening,
The temp. has dropped this afternoon, and it is soooo pleasant to have the windows and screen doors open, and not to have to run the a/c. This is my kind of weather.
Had pork spare ribs in sauce, fresh yellow beans and potato salad for dinner. This will be the last potato salad for this year. I figure I haven't lost my appetite so much as, I fill up really fast, and I don't like that feeling of being stuffed.
Can someone answer my question about the thrift stores?
Norma, good on you the way you hang in there with your sister Is she older or younger than you?
I made a decision today, that I will not be "gifting" any family members, such as kids and grandkids, that don't have the manners to thank me for their gifts, be it money or a gift card. It is starting to tick me off, that we give to them, and they have more money than we do, yet one of my kids can't even manage to send us a birthday card. I will have to do some fancy talking when it comes to Christmas gifts with dh. He likes to splurge on the Holiday. My redheaded dgd's birthday is next Friday, and she is one who ALWAYS thanks me, and makes sure our birthdays are celebrated, so I will be sending her a card & money. I figure if the others don't like being treated this way, it might get them to pull up their socks.
I'm with you Cheryl, I love nostalgia. My favourite show is the Road to Avonlea. It is about several families at the turn of the century in Prince Edward Island. I love how they recreate the times with such excellent tastes in the clothing and furnishings, etc., and the stories are really cute & interesting.
Anna, I love Cocoa's eyes, she is very handsome. Also congrats, on the Palm Pilot, what a find!
Tomorrow dh is going to either fix the scooter or take it to the fix up guy. My friend who has MS uses him for her scooter.
Charlotte, I hope you enjoy the book as much as I am.
Cau it is the nerve damage for me as well. Mine is all in the spine, but it really bothers my legs and hips. I know what you mean, about being closer to dh. I find that as well, he does so much for me, that any other fellow wouldn't do. He doesn't mind doing the shopping and cooks about 2 or 3 nights a week. We have always got our own breakfasts and lunch, so it is just the dinner meal that can be a problem for me sometimes.
The gentleman next door to us had the condo put in 7 emerald cedars along his patio for privacy. He really smokes and drinks, and this way we can't see him, which suits us very much. He asked dh to water his trees one day and dh did a favour for him. After that he didn't bother at all. I can see them where I am sitting at the computer, and four of them are dead. What a shame, and a waste. They were lovely cedars about 6 feet tall, and 4 of them now are bright copper colour. We figured if he didn't have a hose, he could use a watering can or a pot of water for them.
Roberta, I like the sound of the colours you have chosen to paint.

Sleep tight e1

Last edited by missibob; 09-04-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

How easy it is to get lost in the shuffle of a new month!

Someone in the end of last month mentioned Paterson, NJ and all the flooding. I don't live there now (or even near it) but that is where I grew up, and seeing the pictures of places I knew is tough to take. We were very lucky where we are. A friend of ours works for the utility company and was doing 16-hour days getting people's power back on.

Lewcas, I do whites, towels, and bedding in hot. Everything else goes in cold.

Anna, Visor was made by Handspring, not Palm. My husband used to have a Handspring Visor and I have an old stylus for it right here in my desk. Not doing me any good--let me know if you want it! I also found a case for it. But we don't have any other pieces of it hanging around, unfortunately. I'm glad it is in working order. Make SURE you always have good batteries around for it--there's a limited-time window for battery replacement before all your data is toast.

Frugal around here:
--Luke is in a play at the community theater. For one scene he needs to wear a suit. He still has his First Communion suit--and I had to shorten the pants for that in May 2010 when we bought it. I took the new hem out and still need to iron those, and he can wear the suit in the play. I'm glad he'll get to wear it in the show, because his arms are getting so long that the suit isn't going to fit him much after that!

--Between soccer and play practice for both kids, dinners are going to be on the run a lot this month. I spent time this weekend making a list of food we can eat that I can prep ahead or put in the crockpot or just get on the table really quickly. I have challenged myself not to resort to takeout this month! I found 22 different things we can eat, plus spaghetti once a week. That's enough to get through the whole rest of the month.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Nine Year Member

Joanne, the thrift stores generally are used items (donated to a charity) clothing & household with books & toys as well and some stores donate new clearanced items instead of storing them for the next year. Thrift stores generally are cheaper priced than a consignment store where you get a portion of the sale price for your items. I have a Burlington Coat Factory about 50 min from me but have never been there which is new clothing, etc.

I have the kitchen windows and door open with the fan running its nice to have a cool breeze in the house again. Couldn't stand the 95+ temps the last couple of days.

Ellen, We have a crazy 3 months every fall with band practices, games and contests if dinner wasn't easy to throw together or I had time before school was out to pop it in the oven we wouldn't eat until bedtime 4-5 days a week.

Roberta
Old 09-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Assistant Moderator

The thrift stores I go to are owned by churches. All items are donated and resold. Mostly household and clothes. Very little furniture. Goodwill has more furniture but their prices are a lot higher. I stick with the local thrift stores.

Anna great deal on the Palm Pilot! You will have so much fun with it.

Ty is feeling better today, tired but no pain. I really do think it is his gallbladder. His mother would never take him to the doctor for the pain. She is pulling stuff again too... every holiday we can count on it.

Charlotte, love the paint colors!!

Oh my had the kids today..... they were in rare form. I know mama and grandma do not allow that type of behavior. Funny when the toddler gets upset at the older siblings and chews them out, hands on hips, shaking her head. Grandma took the kids home and to bed they went, no tv or movies since they were pills.

Last edited by bluebird; 09-04-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:17 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Anna glad you got the Palm Pilot to work.

Joanna just started the book so far it is ok. I am sure the way people talk it will get more interesting as I get into it more.

Barbsky the kids grow so fast. How is your older one doing at college? Did he come home for the weekend? Both my girls stayed at school.

All our Thrift Shops are donated items and ran by churches. Our Good Will isn't that great. We have a Salvation Army they say is really good. I have never been to it. It is in a huge building so not sure if they use all the space up or not.

Our younger son picked up a lot of used furniture at yard sales over the summer they got a great HUGE entertainment center it is in 3 pieces for free. The middle piece took 4 men to get it up 1 flight of steps. I don't thing they will move it again. LOL!!! They got a full size bed for $50. They they just bought the mattress and boxpsring. They also got furniture and a diningroom table for free. They did pretty good this summer.

Our older son called last night he is in Afghanastan. He is very worried about things at home. I just hope and pay he keeps his head straight and nothing happens to him.

Frugal for me is staying home today. It is raining. I do need to do 1 load of laundry will put it in the dryer. I need to clean the 2 bathrooms. The rest of the day I will read my book and watch movies.

Happy Labor Day.

Charlotte
Old 09-05-2011, 04:09 AM

Good morning all!!

JoAnne, sorry to be rude. Consignment shops are where you take your clothes, furniture, household items and the shop sells them, and you get a portion of the sale. Their prices are higher, because they are taking their portion from the sale.

Thrift shops in my area are all run by charitable groups that use the money to benefit their charity. Goodwill, The ARC, some churches, the local hospitals, that kind of organization. Some stores (Target, Fashion Bug, etc.) donate their leftovers, so they get a tax credit, same as when you and I donate.

You asked about my sister - I am 4 years and 5 days older. She embarrassed me so badly last night. While we were picking out ice cream flavors, she was going on and on about the convenience store ice cream here in town. She had not tried these people's flavors, and in my opinion, should have shut her mouth, picked one of the flavors they had, enjoyed it, said so and left.

I love the Avonlea series also. They show it occasionally here on the PBS channel. The Waltons is a great series also.

Roberta, your paint colors sound so beautiful. I am sure the bath and hallway will be lovely.

Charlotte, I am looking for a free couch. I love the futon as a couch, but the mattresses just don't hold up. They are incredibly heavy and then clumsy to maneuver. Congratulations to him on the hunt, and the find. And a big Happy Belated Birthday to your dd. Glad to hear that she was able to spend it with friends.

Connie, glad that Ty is feeling better. I hope they gave him some dietary instructions to help him stay away from the fatty foods that trigger gall bladder attacks. I will keep my thoughts to myself about his mother.

Barb, it is truly amazing to find out how many quick and easy menus we can find when we want to. It is sometimes just easier to stop thinking and just grab for the first take-out menu available. At my house it was always "Make spaghetti, it is easy". It was my nephew's favorite thing, still is really.

Anna, I hate those tiny little stylus things that become part of the frame. They are really difficult to get out and then difficult to hold. But if you like it, happy for you.

Not much going on today. Hopefully, I can just stay at home. That is what I am aiming for. You all take care and have a great day. Norma
Old 09-05-2011, 05:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Good morning all

Got DH off about 1/2 hr ago I think he took everything but the kitchen sink with him. He is so excited, he loves being out in the woods.

I have a million things I want to get done while he's gone.

Everyone have a great Labor Day!
Old 09-05-2011, 05:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

111 days until Christmas!

Closed Thread