Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 03:57 PM

What Did You Do Frugal Today~August 2011

For encouragement in frugal ways--large and small--look no further. This is where we share helpful hints for stretching our money, saving time and making sure we don't waste resources.

Remember, "frugal" does not mean "don't spend money!" It means "be wise with what you spend!"

What did YOU do frugal today?

Anna
Old 08-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hey Anna, was wondering where you were today, hehe.

Dh went fishing yesterday all he got was sunburn, LOL. Saturday we went down to the coast it was a nice windy day mild temps. I looked at a lot of Oregon Coast sweatshirts but couldn't decide on a color so got none. I'll check the thrift stores.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Subbing for now
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Laurie,Glad your dh got to go fishing.
Frugal for me?Got my elctric bill and oh my gosh it is high!!Trying to watch where the money is going.At the end of the week I am going to buy some cereal from where I work as it has a rebate on it so that should help.Trying to get myself ready to go to bed.I have a headache I need my sleep.I might try to get 1 load of laundry in the wash too.
I did notice on our tomatoes that something has been eating the top part of my plants.They are pretty high and have alot of flowers but it stopped them from growing.I did refreeze some chicken breast tonight too.
I am hoping it will rain here soon.
Mish
Old 08-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hello everybody,

Paula, my best wishes and thoughts go out to your dh & you, my dear. We all suffer from something it seems, but there is always someone worse off than yourself You sound like you basically nurse and look after him yourself, hoping that you do get some help from the agencies that do home nursing. Hopefully, a miracle will come your way, and he will be able to enjoy much more happier times.
Mish, my hydro bill should be just awful for this month, we have had the a/c going almost continuously. We weren't home today so it was off.
We had a lovely afternoon with ds#3 and dil & dgs. Had a great dinner of bbq'd marinated pork chops, potato salad, caesar salad, corn on the cob, and deviled eggs that my 8 yr. old dgs made. I tried my best to enjoy it. They had lemon meringue pie, but I passed on it. We took them over the chocolate chip cookies with vanilla ice cream in between them for a snack.
The weather was just great, a little cooler, a little less humidity with a bit of a breeze, a nice break from the last few days.
Frugal was doing my laundry in cold water this morning, and since we didn't eat at home, no dishwasher was run today.
That's it for now,

Sleep tight everybody.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:16 PM

Laurie

I've been busy as usual. Having teen drama issues here, the kid is back home with her Mom. I don't think this is going to work out as we had hoped, she's had too many years of being allowed to run loose with no supervision and we had a bashing of the heads last night over her being out after dark after we agreed she'd. be home by dark and hanging out with boys 18 and 19 yo who were drinking beer and smoking a hookah, also smoke maryjane. Not the environment we think is beneficial to her but like all teens she's fighting us on it. Mom is giving us no back up support at all so we are pretty much going to wipe our hands, we gave her a 24 hour cooling off period to think about what she wants to do with her life.

Anna
Old 08-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Assistant Moderator

Anna I am sorry. Hugs. Must be in the air. Jasmine and I are bashing heads.

Roberta I thought that was a Laura Wilder recipe.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: We live in Northwest Mississippe, very close to Memphis TN.
Hi all:
It was so hot today. We had a good rain storm around lunch time. Dh was happy, he would not have to water. The rain just made it muggier.
When I started dinner at 5:30, it was 102 degrees and so humid, the windows were "weeping". Dinner was a ham steak, mac and cheese and green beans. Chocolate pudding in the fridge for anyone who wanted it.
Cleaned kitchen cabinets and pantry, so it will be easier to check on what we will need at the Commissary on Thursday.
My foot is feeling better today. These pains and swelling come and go. The swelling is something I usually battle daily,unless i can stay off it more than usual. Thanks for the concern.
Paula, I did not know how bad your husband was. You both have mine and my dh prayers. Do you have help? I pray that God's plan is a full recovery.

You asked for the Cantalope (cake) Quick Bread Recipe

3 eggs
1 cup canola oil
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups pureed cantalope
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
GLAZE
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla
enough milk to make a thick glaze

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease and flour 2 9x5 loaf pans or 2 8 inch cake pans. I used a bundt pan when I made this.
In a large bowl beat together eggs, oil, sugar,vanilla and cantaloupe puree. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger. Stir flour mixture into cantaloupe mixture; stir to combine. Do not overwork batter, stir just until no traces of flour remain. Pour into prepared pans.
Bake in preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake, comes out clean.
While cake is baking, make te glaze. Add vanilla to the powdered sugar. Stir in milk, one tablespoon at a time, until a thick glaze is reached. When you lift up the whisk, it should fall in a steady stream and form a ribbon before disappearing.
Remove pan(s) from the oven and place on cooling racks. Cool in pans for 10 minutes (I cool for 15 minutes for a bundt pan.) Place a sheet of wax paper under cooling racks, to catch the drips. Pour the glaze over the warm loaves or bundt cake. The glaze will drip down the sides and drip onto the wax paper. Let cool at least 1 hour before serving.
I got this recipe from Amanda's Coookin'
www.amandascookin.com

Today was frugel. All meals at home, laundry done in cold water.
Now I need to get to bed. I hope you enjoy the cake.
Avis

Having children is like being pecked to death
by a duck!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Avis- it is hot AND humid in the Upstate of SC too. It was close to 100 today but the humidity didn't seem as high. One year, I went further South for cooler weather. New Smyrna Beach FL had a temp of 82 and I had a temp of 99 in SC. We called my SIL and were gone from here in 20 min. You don't normally think of going South to get cooler.
No money spent today, just didn't feel like shopping in the heat.
Will give a Coupon Talk to the homeless women tomorrow who the churches take turns housing in the church. I will tell them what things I've gotten free with coupons, food and non-food. They can collect coupons from those they know who get the Sunday paper, don't have to pay for it.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have been trying to be frugal in our little corner of the universe.
Very hard though, the price of everything is so high, and with work, study and being a bit sick for a few weeks, there are so many times we need a quick, less cheap option.
However, we have started using cold water for washing; being really conscious about lights and power, and the drought has taken care of water usage: we have to be frugal with that! Cooking as much from scratch. Fortunately my dd's fashion style is easily created from thrift shops and the rest of us are fairly laid back with clothing anyway.
Every bit counts I guess.

Closed Thread