Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 03:28 AM

Good morning all!!

Before I comment on anything else, I want to thank you all for being so caring during the hurricane. Even though I have been through many a storm, I don't remember being in one that was this scary, by myself. I did everything I thought I should, and was encouraged by you all along the way. So thank you all.

I am back to normal, I have emptied the bag I packed, everything is put away. I will move the sand bags when I get around to it. They are not a priority, as I don't use the back door. I finally did lose power last evening - for all of 3 minutes. Being on the grid with the police station is not a bad thing!!

Cau, good luck to day with the shopping. Hope you get everything you need, and that everything you need is on sale, and that you have some good coupons to go along with that. That shower sounds lovely without being pricey. And "teas" are really big in this area.

Anna, if you needed a day off from yard work, glad to hear you took it.

Cheryl, also a lot of the farms got hit hard too - and those in PA were also. Truly it is not just about the cities. Today, our state capital had a levy break and they haven't even estimated how many families were displaced, or how much damage they will have from that. I think too that we saved some money in NJ and PA because the Governors encouraged people to "stay with family and friends", and not to just show up at a shelter. Took some of the burden off the Red Cross and other emergency agencies.

Charlotte, it is great about the weather. We are just at 59* now, feels a bit cool, but so wonderful after all the stickiness of the past few days. 80* for us too. Have a great day.

Connie, sounds like a good plan. Hope you can get enough advertising. Maybe calling a newspaper out of your area to try to drum up some interest too??? People don't mind traveling a bit of a distance if the event is worthwhile. Happy belated Birthday wishes to Jasmine. Glad she was able to enjoy her day.

Kathy - your invitations sound lovely. Unless there is something your dd and her fiance are really wanting, I would stick to a simple but elegant plan, and then be able to do that one thing that is spectacular.

Butterfly glad that you have the time to stop by and visit with us. I need to grab the paper shredder here too. I just keep putting it off.

Well ladies, better go for now. I need to get ready for work. I think our IT person was able to get in and put the batteries back on the floor and get them hooked up for us today. At my place there would only 17 that got unplugged. At the mill, I don't know. She was more concerned about the phone system, the heart of which is in the basement.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 08-29-2011, 03:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'd like to second what Norma said about appreciating the concern. Norma, I'm especially talking to YOU as well here!

I am in no hurry to just get everything out of my porch and back into the yard, etc--this time I think I am going to plan where it will go, not just toss things any old place. Since I had to move it once and need to move it back, I may as well decide where it should go.

I had filled up every jug and bottle I had with water, so I'd better not catch my kids using any disposable water bottles until all of that is empty! Right now I have about 10 jugs of water sitting under the kitchen table. Got to find a place for those. Unopened jugs (I bought 6) can go to the basement.

My husband works in Princeton and his office is closed today. There are a LOT of trees along the routes to his office, not to mention on the office campus itself. I imagine that many of the roads are impassable.

I'm trying a new recipe today that uses leftover cooked chicken or shredded pork. Always good to find a delicious, frugal way to use up leftovers. And I think French toast will be on the menu soon since I bought an extra loaf of bread "just in case" that we didn't need to use.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:15 AM

Barbzy

It's good that you planned to stock the water.. I was looking on photos of the storm preparation and they showed several stores with barely any water or milk as people were buying them off the shelf.. I'd hate to be one of those who couldn't find any to buy.

Norma

Of course we care.. we've all been friends on here a very long time and that includes Barbzy.

Just got done with a candle order.. Hot Baked Apple Pie, Japanese Cherry Blossom, Cinnamon Roll and New Mown Hay. I'm glad to have those done at least the first part. Labeling and glossing comes next.

Still have housework waiting for me to do.. but that's never ending.

Anna
Old 08-29-2011, 04:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Barb and Norma, I second what Anna said.

Dh is suppose to come back from Oklahoma tomorrow, keeping our fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong with his flight.

Well, another week so off to work I go!
Old 08-29-2011, 05:32 AM
Nine Year Member

Finally getting some tomatoes coming on. Picked 10 this morning though most will need a day or two to be really ripe, didn't want the squirrels & birds to get them. Picked 6 medium sized bell peppers will wash them and chop for the freezer today.

DH wants me to slice & freeze a couple of green tomatoes to fry up when he has teeth again, anyone done that?

I have the kitchen windows open and a fan in the back door bringing in the cool morning air. I hope to keep the a/c off most of the day.

Roberta
Old 08-29-2011, 05:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning! We are having beautiful weather here today, too! It's only 60* right now - supposed to get up to 80*. I have the AC off and windows open. It looks like I'll be able to have it off today and tomorrow before the next heat wave comes through. I am so ready for cooler weather!

Cau, the wedding shower you went to sounds lovely. DD1's bridesmaids opted to not have favors at all. They said "nobody" does that anymore! We're planning on having pasta salad, fruit platter, crackers with spinach artichoke dip, homemade truffles and cupcakes. Drinks will be iced tea, lemonade, water & champagne punch.

Today is organization day for me. I need to get a menu plan made, shopping list put together, coupons cut out and organized, checkbook balanced, bills paid, etc.

I hope you all have a wonderful Monday!
Old 08-29-2011, 05:42 AM

I have the air off this morning too as it's nice and cool. It's supposed to be that way most of the week so probably tommorow will do the yard work.

Roberta

Glad your tomatoes are finally coming on.. ours is just about done.

I've been taking it easy this morning, cleaning a little, swinging on the porch crocheting some dish rags to take to Logan next trip. I got some really cheap spools of cotton yarn at Cat Welfare this weekend. I had quite a big amount of hunting camoflouge yarn left from when I made my friends baby blanket so I'm working on using that up now.

I'll be making tag labels Made In The USA on them. I missed the deadline for getting those free labels from Staples this month has been went by so fast.

Anna
Old 08-29-2011, 06:08 AM
Assistant Moderator

Roberta Gregg and I love fried green tomatoes! Sliced thick, dipped into beaten egg then into flour/bread crumbs that is seasoned. I use garlic, salt and pepper, chili pwd gives it a kick too. Fried in oil until brown on both sides. Yum.

Got a ad ready for the paper for Relax. They do offer a good deal for four weeks. I will do that after my surgery. I don't want to make a lot of plans while waiting for a surgery date. Called my friend and left a message about the pre craft show. Now need to call the school to see if all the paperwork is okay or not. If not we hs one more year. Not stressing about this like I did last year. Need to clean since we will have little ones tomorrow. I did sleep well last night. If I lay with three pillows I can breathe all night. I slept like a baby. Maybe I need the tee shirt that says my boobs tried to smother me? lol
Old 08-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hello everyone,
Glad to hear that no one was too upset by the hurricane. As I mentioned earlier, my dil is in NY with the Police games, playing soccer. My son put it up on FB this morning, that she is fine and she & her teammates are busy helping with the clean up and will get to the Games later. She is quite a gal, I am not surprised that she is helping out.
My #3 son phoned this a.m. to see if we could babysit Sam on Thursday morning, as he has a job interview, I think I mentioned that he was very upset by the University. Of course we can, and he is going to have a sleep over here on Wed. night, so that should be fun, he is really good company. Talking to him is always a joy, he is like a little man.
Dh is out doing the big grocery shopping just now, and he took our coupons with him. He picked up the school vehicle at the yards this morning, while I did the laundry.
Those fried green tomatoes done with bread crumbs sound interesting, I wonder if dh would like them, I'll have to ask and perhaps make some for dinner.
We are still getting 2-3 ripe ones every day, and it is still loaded with green ones.
Cau, that wedding luncheon sounded really lovely. Does anyone remember when we used to have the trousseau tea where the two mothers poured tea & coffee, and we laid out our wedding gifts, and our trousseau, bought so lovingly with your meager pay cheques andby your mom. I remember my bedroom was where I showed all my personal things, LOL. Boy, we sure were fancy 50 years ago.
I have an appt. on Sept. 27th to meet with the doctor who is going to do the injections in my spine. This should be quite interesting. They do the injections led by ultrasound, so I want to hear what this is like, and what success rates they have.
Well, off to get the dryer load,
Old 08-29-2011, 08:58 AM
Nine Year Member

I think you'll have a better result if you slice and cook the green tomatoes with their breading first and then freeze and then you can warm them in the oven. I am not sure abut I think they'll be too soppy to bread them after they thaw if they aren't cooked first....

A good weekend for canning for me, still afraid to try green beans in the pressure cooker so I froze them, anyone here have experience with pressure canning? maybe the Ball site has some videos...

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."

Closed Thread