Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks BArb & Norma for the updates, continuing to send prayers

Old 08-28-2011, 07:52 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

SO glad to hear you guys are ok. Been watching news all morning. Man, it sure did look bad. NORMA your Govenor, is saying damage could be in BILLIONS!!!!! Is he hoping that (even if not true), to get more money from govt.? LOL Heard hundreds of millions in NC - so it's hard to imagine billions!
They are saying 13 deaths so far from storms.

So far this morning, it's a beautiful day. AC off and windows open. Mowed the front yard, not for grass but all the weeds sticking up. Will do the back tomorrow.
Read paper and looked at coupons. Breakfast from home and kitties fed for the morning. Just taking it easy this morning. About lunch time here. Need to get something together.

So glad everyone is doing good. Still praying for those we haven't heard from. Bless you all.
Will check in later.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

So glad to hear that two of our ladies are safe from the storm. Sorry to hear about your dd and hopefully there won't be any more damage to the dorm room.
It is a worry when the kids are away to school.
Just talked on the phone to my sis, and we are going to see the movie "Help" next week. She has read the book and wants to compare the movie to it, and I have just heard that it is a really good movie to see. I still have gift cards for the show from Christmas so just goes to show you how often we go out to the show, LOL.
We were just going to have bbq hamburgers for dinner tonight, but changed my mind and I am going to use up some yellow beans bought on Thursday, and have chicken rolled around ham & cheese.
Dh haing a nap on the couch right now, and I think I am going to lay down for an hour in the bedroom, didn't sleep anything too well last night.
Stay safe everybody,
Old 08-28-2011, 11:01 AM

I am so glad to hear everyone is o.k. and Barbzy.. thanks for stopping in and letting us know you were o.k. too.

And Norma.. I think you are right, everyone has learned alot from Hurricane Katrina and Ike and are much better prepared than in the past. Sorry to hear about your neighbors tree.. having lost my pine tree to Hurricane Ike I can definitely sympathize on the hassle of having it cut up and removed and of course the money (homeowners insurance usually does not cover it unless it hits your house or garage). And I'm glad it didn't hit his house.

Not alot frugal today.. used my points at Krogers and got gas 60 cents off a gallon. Used coupons at the store and saved about $10 I think? that's about it so far. I'm making breaded drumsticks (chicken) soaked in Italian Dressing for dinner today along with probably a salad since I forgot to buy chicken gravy and I am not good at homemade gravies. Salad is healthier anyways.

Norma

We don't have a kitchen table to eat on.. our kitchen is too small. I have a table out there but the kitchen is too small for more than one person to be in at a time. It's mostly just my office desk, where I do all our bill paying, menu writting etc. If we were to have a fancy meal it could be brought into the front room temporarily and used but we rarely have anyone over for meals except outside in the summer. Hers hasn't gotten rot on it yet she had it wrapped around something?? I can't remember now, maybe dh's doll baby (boy baby) from when he was a child. So it's still in the cedar chest.

Anna
Old 08-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Nine Year Member

I made a pot of veggie soup this afternoon used the pound of ground lamb that I received at one of the food banks. Figured if the taste was different than beef no one would notice. Thawed out a pan of Hawaiian bread to go with it (also from the food bank). Noticed the freezer is getting a build up of frost so will need to defrost it soon so will focus on eating from the freezer. I have a small chicken thawing for Tuesday dinner.

Started working on the office and gathered up the copy paper, put it all together and found I have 12 reams so wont be buying any for a long time (unless I can get it for FREE).

Roberta
Old 08-28-2011, 11:48 AM

Good afternoon all!!

We now have some sun.

Ellen I am so sorry to hear about dd's friend. They need to take the dust ruffles off until after the water stops seeping in. I thought I ha heard that they had halted the move-in at the Delaware colleges and universities until this was over?? Also, there are those containers called "Damp Rid" to help deal with wicking in the moisture and helping with the odor that is going to be coming their way. They might also consider getting some charcoal, putting it into open bags/containers to help with that odor too, cedar mothballs in the corners will also help.

Laurie, I am 18 miles inland, and it passed right next to the coast, was approximately 75 miles on either side of the eye, so we were getting the brunt of it too.

Cheryl, I can understand billions, because of the crowding conditions, we have all kinds of buildings everywhere, and when you take into consideration loss of revenue (it is tourist season, and this weekend is the next to last weekend of the season), costs of roads that have been damaged (we have lots of major roads in the the Northeast Corridor), overtime for the police forces that were on duty, payment for the national guard that was activated and on duty (the states pay for them), and opening all those shelters, and the fact that the state provided transportation for all those hundreds of thousands of residents that didn't have transportation to get out of those towns which were evacuated.The way these things work is the municipalities pay first for whatever goods and services are used (they have budgets set up for partial payments), then the state steps in and they are the back-up payor, and then, because not only the state but the federal government declared the areas under a state of emergency, and some areas disaster areas, the feds come in, assess what they are committed to pay for - a lot of the infrastructure (there are a lot of roads that are federal, a lot of the railways and bridges, trains, some airports, actually come under the federal government), paying for utility workers to come in from out of state, as well as overtime for those who have been on duty for days now, and then there are the insurance claims from us homeowners, business owners (loss of goods, as well as loss of revenue), municipality and state structures that might have been damaged. Some of the money will come from insurance that is taken out (some auto insurance, some homeowners, some business insurance (even damage to rental properties and payment for prevention and clean up supplies). We have several airports that lost a lot of business too (which means loss of taxable income) - and planes had to be evacuated (planes from bases, we have an FAA airbase here at a local airport). There is no train service from Jacksonville Fl all the way up through Boston, and extending over to somewhere in Ohio. Our local utility still has 91,237 customers without electricity. And that is just Atlantic City Electric, not any of the other utility companies in the state.

I think he was just assessing the general situation overall, not just trying to put a big price tag on what we expect the federal government to pick up. There are lots of source of funds for this.

JoAnne, your dinner sounds pretty good to me. I am not sure what I will have, I had an egg sandwich with ham and cheese for breakfast, and a bowl of tomato and onion salad for lunch.

I have unpacked my bad, put everything back, but I know how quickly I can do this if necessary, and probably have put some of those items together, if nowhere else but in my mind.

We are still pretty breezy, but the sun is shining, the roads are drying up, and life is getting back to normal. Tomorrow will be another work day.

You all take care. Norma
Old 08-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Miss you all too! Maybe I'll have to find a way to check in here at Frugal more often
Old 08-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Nine Year Member

Glad to hear that you are all well, those who live on the East Coast.

Husband is watching X Factor at the moment, it's not a show that I enjoy, so I have retreated to the study and am playing on the PC.

As I mentioned yesterday, we have been very busy decluttering the house, it is scary when you realise how much stuff you accumulate over the years. My DH is now on first name terms with the men at the dump and the ladies at the charity shop

Just got a lot of paperwork that needs to be shredded. I have promised that I will make a start on it tomorrow.

We had our attic insulated and the cavity wall insulation done last week ready for Winter. We have also had a window fitter come and measure up for a replacement double glazed window in the main bedroom as the one we have is no longer sealed; hopefully, it won't be too expensive.

We went over our budget yesterday, and we have decided that we need to be more vigorous with watching our spending. It's all the odd little bits and pieces that seem to add up. For me, I definitely need to get a handle on grocery shopping as I know that I can save money here.

Getting tired now, so I'll sign off as my head has gone to mush!

Take care.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am so relieved to hear that our friends on the east coast weathered the storm. Norma, that sunshine must look especially lovely this afternoon. I actually wouldn't mind a rainy day. We haven't had one in a long time. Most of our rain has come from overnight thunderstorms. I'm really in the mood for an all-day rain.

I have spent most of the day working on invitations - first for DD1's bridal shower. It's going to be on Sept. 18th. The bridesmaids and I are going to keep it pretty simple. People tend to go so overboard anymore. Each of the girls are bringing a food item, and I'm supplying the paper products, punch and cupcakes. I've also been printing the wedding invitations. We bought a kit from Michael's. They give you a website to go to get the template for your particular invitation. It's pretty easy once you get everything lined up and get the ink color right. And it's WAY less expensive than having them done by a printer. DD1 is coming over on Tuesday so we can get them all assembled and out this door this week. The wedding is getting so close!

Butterfly, it's good to see you stop by. I need to do a major decluttering as well. I keep making a start on it and then seem to peter out. We also need to do a much better job at watching our money. Everything is getting so expensive!

I worked at the law firm on Friday. I got really annoyed because I was supposed to go in and "power type" from dictation. They were throwing all kinds of stuff at me. My desk was completely covered and piled high with work to do. I had to remind the office manager that I don't work there anymore and didn't want the stress of all that work. I will be working on Wednesday this week, and probably Friday.

I guess I better get back to work on the invitations. I hope you are all enjoying your Sunday.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Assistant Moderator

Roberta you are thinking like I am! There are two empty offices and two waiting rooms.

That is a lot of damage. Ellen the poor kids. That must be overwhelming to watch.

Kathy we were invited to a wedding and they made the invitations. I love seeing this. When we were married in the 80's it was a time of cookie cutter weddings. Boring. Love the weddings now.

Closed Thread