Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Prayers for all our friends on the East Coast in the storms path ,hoping all are safe.Dd & I went to Goodwill today got some more girl outfits for around ten dolars for 8 items .Most was a dollar but a new pair of girl jeans was 3 dollars.Almost bought a pair of little black patent maryjane shoes for five dollars at Wal-Mart but dicided to hold off for now.Got a brisket in the slow cooker for tommorrows meal.I need to heade to bed just not really sleepy.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:29 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Happy Sunday Morning to everyone. We have alot of flooding and wind. What I can see from my house so far everything looks normal for a large amount of rain. But we are not done yet.

My plans for today are to stay in doors. I need to do laundry, ironing, clean both bathrooms. I want to do some baking.

Stay safe and have a wonderful Sunday.

Charlotte
Old 08-28-2011, 02:32 AM

Good morning all!!

Anna, sounds like you got some great bargains. But I need to ask, why are you just holding on to that tablecloth? You need to use it, in memory of your mil. They tend to deteriorate over time, and if not used, will just rot.

I e-mailed Barb and asked that she contact us here on this thread if she is able. I told her we are all concerned for her and her family's safety too. Don't get me wrong, I haven't heard of anything being a problem in her area, but who knows about the power.

Nell, one thing at a time, the looking is the greatest pleasure. Buy only the best, at the best prices, and you can't go wrong.

Laurie, this is another update. All is ok here. The winds have subsided and the rain is just falling. I have been up since about 3:30, the rain started falling really hard at that time, and since I couldn't sleep, I got up. Have done 2 loads of laundry already, keep checking out the windows. No flooding here so far.

My only problem is the cable is out, so I can't listen to those annoying newscasters standing out on the beach letting the rain wash over their rain jackets. However, they do provide useful information. I am on the list for the cable company to let me know when service is restored. In the meantime, I have season two of NCIS on. And I have you all to keep me company. Thank you all so much for that.

So far, no flooding at my house. No debris other than leaves ripped off the trees either. I don't see any wayward garbage cans or bags of trash either. Means my neighbors were better this go round, than they have been in the past.

Ladies, I am going to go get breakfast, and change the laundry around in the dryer. Take care all!! Norma
Old 08-28-2011, 03:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Norma, I'm glad you are okay. I know some places in NJ are are without power. As my Mom in law lost power. I know this as another relative told me some areas of NJ are without power and have downed power poles and some have downed trees.

Frugal here, went to the thrift store in my town yesterday. It was half off on clothes, plus I had a card filled so I got an additional $5 off my purchases, making my purchases all cost under $5. We got an old leather briefcase for storing my husband's laptop for .50. We got some black dress heels for my daughter for $1, I got several shirts, and I got a shirt for my son and 2 shirts for my daughter, as well as got more punches on my card. As once you fill a card with punches you can continue to get $5 dollars off the each purchase. It helps to combine it when the are having a sale which they do each week, so you get more for your money. I even found some designer/name brand shirts for cheap too.

I hope all have a good and frugal day. God watch over all those in the stormy areas, from hurricanes, ro tornadoes, to thunderstorms. God bless you all.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi everyone and thanks for the concern. So far so good here: power is on, basement is dry. I'm hoping the same is true for my son who's in college in Philadelphia. Of course he thinks this is one big adventure, LOL. There are a lot of highway closings which will be challenging later as my MIL is staying the weekend. Hope DH can get her back home tonight!
Old 08-28-2011, 05:59 AM
Assistant Moderator

Glad everyone is safe.

I found out what type of glass is in our church windows. Just an old hand mixed glass. Not worth a lot. I will keep saving up money to buy a die cutter so I can cut vinyl sayings. I will sell the windows repainted with Bible quotes at the craft coop this year. I have an old wooden box that the bottom was is rough shape. I glued fabric to it last night. I will varnish it today then use it in the kitchen. I saw one on a blog and thought hey I have one of those.

Looks like we have one more week of high heat then into the low 80s. Good! We need to get the patios finished.

Today my baby girls is 21. Where did the time go? I am so thankful she is healthier and happy. Having a day long celebration. Nachos at noon, then the kids go to taekwondo class, then lasnage dinner tonight with homemade ice cream. I am making non dairy ice cream for me today too!
Old 08-28-2011, 06:03 AM

Good morning all!!

Barb, thanks for checking in, and know we all continue to miss you here on this site.

It is cool (73*), and just breezy , not even any more rain.

Since I haven't ventured out, and can't get any reports from the tv, I assume I know where the flooding is in this part of the county.

But I have to hand it to all the emergency personnel. This is probably the best planned for weather event in the State of NJ. All the different agencies cooperated, and everyone who needed to be moved were. That is a lot of people, especially from Atlantic City, where most people don't have transportation. They cleared out Cape May County totally too, except for a very few stupid people.

My next door neighbor, and her grandson came to check on me just now. Seems one of their neighbors across the street had some excitement last night. I could see an emergency vehicle out there but it was very dark, so couldn't see much. A 50 ft. tree came down and landed in their yard, but not quite hitting the house. Scotty got to go video it. He was in his glory, and had to come and show me the video.

Ladies, better go for now. I did the Coupon Club stuff, after I unpacked it (it was ready for evacuation also).

Take care ladies. Norma
Old 08-28-2011, 06:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Barb, Glad to hear you and yours are doing well and you had no damage to yr property.

Norma, Glad to hear you are okay. How close did Irene actually get to yr area? I don't remember how far inland you are.

All the regular Today Show people are on this morning I had to look at the calander to make sure it was still Sunday and that I hadn't missed a day. Just covering the Irene news.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:29 AM
Nine Year Member

Spent $12 on a stuffed crust pizza last night to celebrate the kids first week of school and have the leftovers for lunch today.

Connie, could you host the pre-craft show in your massage office, maybe set up tables outside too and have everyone selling send invitations to their friends/customers?

I'm going to work on decluttering and reorganizing my office area this week and shampoo the kitchen & living room carpets.

Roberta
Old 08-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Nine Year Member

Barbszy, thanks for checking in, hoping some point soon you'll be able to post a little more, been to your blogsite to keep up, thanks for keeping that going!

we are dry too but my dd1s gf and her bfiance are having a time of it, the water just keeps seeping into the basement, upstairs up the bed ruffles, through the walls, onto the carpet, they sent cell phone pix and we all feel so bad for them, it's grad housing at UDelaware so they are having a time of it...

we have cool weather and alternating sun and rain

dh and I got up early and we put up 6 gallons of green beans, frozen, and sliced up some peppers for drying, also 6 trays of basil and 2 of parsley for drying

now I am online looking for a peach salsa recipe and if there is any energy left I'll go right ahead and do brandied and plain peaches...could take a nap though with this weather

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."

Closed Thread