Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 07:24 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Happy Halloween everyone:

We don't have any children in the area where we live, so I don't treat. I bought some chocolate bars for our dgk's only.
We had a great day yesterday, we went to the next town that is quite large and had my first experience with the scooter in a mall with people!! I made out pretty well, got stuck once in the ladies wear at Sear's, and had to ask for help. They have everything so jammed in, that I should have used my brain and used my cane and left the scooter in the aisle, but I just plain didn't. I got a new pair of jeans the kind I really, really like with an elastic waist, and I was so pleased to be able to buy one size smaller!! I have just been cutting back lately, because exercise is out of the question, even the pool exercise, I am in too much pain. Dh was more nervous than I was, guiding me and saying things like turn here and you can get through here, grrrr. I am quite capable of doing this myself. Do I sound mean? I don't mean to, but I wanted to be quite independent. He went to get his hair cut at his favourite barber in the mall, so I could scoot around by myself for a while. There was a kiosk selling nail products. This salesman spotted me and asked me did I want a free sample, sure I said. He then went on to do my thumbnail, and it really did work well, making the nail shiny and smooth, and then used some other concoction on the hang nail I had, and it disappeared! Then came the sales pitch it was ONLY $79.99 for the whole kit. Of course I said absolutely no way, it then went down to $69.99, then he said if I wasn't fussy about the box it came in, I could have it all for $34.00. Amazing , right? I told him I would look it up on line and have my dh buy it for me for Christmas, LOL LOL. Imagine spending $80.00 on your nails???
Went to Wimpy's for dinner, had a yummy omelette, and dh a humungous burger. They give you enough food on your plate for a whole family. It was a nice treat though. Then went to dh & dil & dgs for a visit. He put on his little costume for tonight, he is King Tut, and if I remember to I will post his picture for all of you.
Going to have my 12 yr old dgd here this afternoon, because her mom & sis are out of town. We will probably do a craft together.
Ericka, I'll just bet your mom is heavy. People who are overweight are so jealous of others who can do what they can't, that they say things like that. Don't even fuss about it, and continue what you are doing with so much success. Good on you.
Norma, sorry for the problems with your cat.
Anna, pretty soon the world is going to stop picking on you. You have been having some awful week, hope it turns around soon. We are still battling the fleas on Missi once in a while. She gets them from outdoors, and always around her rear end. We have one more dose of the flea meds. to put on the back of her neck.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning! I am having a tough time getting going this morning. I slept in until 8:30. I guess my body needed the extra sleep to continue healing. Since then, I have just been lounging around. I don't have too much planned for today. Hoping to just piddle around the house. I'm hoping DH can find a project or two to keep himself busy today. I love him dearly, but he is driving me CRAZY!

I'm not expecting too many trick-or-treaters tonight. Our street is mostly older people, and it seems like the 2 or 3 families with kids take them somewhere to celebrate (probably church activities). I do have several bags of chocolate squirreled away. I will hide whatever we don't use. Some will go in Christmas stockings and the rest I will dole out from time to time. A whole bag of chocolate can disappear in one day here.

I will have to hang laundry inside today since it is cloudy and chilly. We're not supposed to get out of the 50's.

I hope you all have a relaxing Sunday.

Happy Halloween!
Old 10-31-2010, 09:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

HappyHalloweenMyPr etties!

I was feeling a little beat up this morning, lol, so I stayed home from church today. God loves me no matter what so I figured he'd understand. I'll do my devotions here in a bit.

Joanne, isn't it crazy how they leave absolutely no room to get thru stores? I can't hardly stand Walmart half the time. Congrats on going down a size though!

Mish, you stay so busy! I missed something somewhere, is this the math class? I'm so mathematically challenged I feel for you. I did sit with Alyssa and between us we figured out her 6th grade math AND got it right. I really had to work on it though. We didn't have math like that when I was in 6th grade, this is algebra for crap's sake! She is as I am, challenged in math. Sending you hugs though.

Anna, been an expensive week for you, I'm sorry. At least you did get some deals on the bedding.

Roberta, I'm so sorry your car got keyed. I don't understand kids, I really don't. Praying it's the end of "let's crap on Roberta" for a good long while.

Okay, my brain has stopped remembering the rest of the posts. I'm sorry.

Yesterday was all about the Boo Bash for the Lions Club. I picked the key up at 7 am, we all met at the community center at 9 am and started planning and decorating. I did not do any lifting, bending, pulling or pushing. I did put on table clothes, put out centerpieces, gave my opinion on where things should go, set up the snack table, picked up things from the DG, our storage shed and the concession stand that we needed. Got to go home for about 3 hours to chill, then get ready. I brought Megan and Alyssa back with me, they helped at the door, Meg and I took turns taking money, Alyssa handed out raffle tickets. They really do like helping out and had a great time. Alyssa had 2 friends show up, one on her own and one with her dad and his wife and her half sisters so once we were thru taking money the girls, including Meg, just kinda hung out, danced to the DJ. I'll post a few pics but will give you a link to my FB page for those of you who aren't on FB. I did dance a bit, didn't shake anything but it felt good to get that exercise in. We were thru at about 11 with all the clean up and I dropped the key off in the mailbox of the people that run the center.

Today the girls are going to carve pumpkins this afternoon, then Alyssa wants to do some trick or treating, and we're hoping that her friend's grandmother allows her to go with. Her friend lives with the grandmother, both her mom and dad are in prison, not jail, prison. The dad for armed robbery, the mom for continued DUI's and robbery (not with the father, on her own). The grandmother is really strict about church, is trying hard to keep her granddaughter from following in the footsteps. Summer is a good girl, she knows why her grandma is so strict. The grandma has finally come to trust me with her so I'm hoping we get to have her with us this afternoon. Sad what these kids have to face anymore.

Well I'll post a few pics from the past few days then some links. Hugs!

Login | Facebook Lions Club

Lisa
Attached Images

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:27 AM

Good afternoon all!!

Joanne, I am sure you will have a lot of fun with the grand daughter this afternoon. Sounds like you were enjoying your new-found freedom with the scooter. Congrats on the jeans, and the weight loss.

Lisa, please make sure you are careful, and don't get carried away.

Charlotte, your dinner sounds nice. I got up and put the soaking limas in with the broth I made yesterday, added some chopped onion and some shredded carrots, and it tastes great. That will be my dinner, lunch tomorrow, dinner Tueday evening, and then any left will be frozen and get in the rotation with the rest out in the freezer.

Patrice, sorry you aren't into scary movies. The ones on ABC/Disney Family Channel are pretty tame. You could "peek" in from time to time.

Ladies, I am so very happy with my shopping trip on the way to church today.

As many of you know, I did a test drive for Mazda, and they paid me with a $25 Visa card. I took it to the grocery store today, and started to turn some of it into cash. I bought 2 things that have full rebates - one was 130 ct. bottle of Bufferin, and the other was Tena underwear. I had to do 2 orders so I could get 2 receipts. I also bought some White Rain body wash for $.66 for 12 oz. (8 of them for gifts). And I needed some pantiliners. The body wash and the pantilners don't have rebates. I handed over the card twice, and only owed $.71 at the end of the two orders. I will be getting back $17.00 in rebates. That is $17.00 that I can re-use again. I love to "roll over" the money, and keep using the same money again and again.

I finished the coupon club stuff this morning, after working on it all day yesterday in between crocheting, and working on the cat. Cat is still not done, and I think she may really be dying, the crocheting isn't completed (is it ever?), but the Coupons are all clipped and sorted, and envies have been filled and are out in the mail at the post office already.

Ladies, better go for now. Norma
Old 10-31-2010, 11:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Lisa the pictures turned out nice, sounds like you all had fun.

JoAnne, I hate the way they jam everything together , I use the scooters in the stores. Here Target is the worst with Wal-Mart and Kmart right behind them. Iím so happy for you ,being able to get around. It makes a world of difference in your outlook

Mish, good luck on your class, sometimes it just does not click. My dd is having a terrible time with Excel . She just does not get it

Beautiful day for Halloween, sunny and in the 50.s. Not bad for the end of Oct. by now it is usually getting cold and rainy so no complaining from me. Iím making toffee from sweetened condensed milk to pour over apples for an icebox pie. Iíll let you know if it is any good.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:01 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Norma, you are simply fantastic how you go about doing your shopping. You are very clever.!! I would never have figured all of that out. We do well to remember to use the coupons we have for anything we have to buy, LOL. Getting there though.
My dgd and I had a fun afternoon together. She is really, really chatty, and I think she just wanted someone to give her all of their attention and listen to her, and that is exactly what I did, giving her some advice on how to handle situations she comes across, etc. She told me of a dance she went to at the "Y" with her little girlfriends, and there was a girl from her class at school there. This girl was really dressed inappropriately, with a skirt that barely covered her bum and a very short cut off tank top. This was not a costume Halloween dance, it was a week ago. She kept staring at my dgd and her pals giving them the eye, and every few seconds applying more lip gloss. LOL She started to do what I was told "dirty dancing", so Sonia went to the person in charge and complained, and they had to girl removed. I said, now if she gives you a hard time, you have to back up what you did and let her know that she was making all of you uncomfortable. I was so proud when she told me she had done this, it shows how well my dd is bringing up her girls.
I had a huge surprise visitor this afternoon. My sis who passed away in January, has two kids, a 53 yr. old dd and a 46 yr. old son. He hasn't been in touch with me since the funeral, and I didn't know where he was or anything, and we have always been close to him, not his sis. Anyway, here he was at my door today, and I almost fell over. He had a nice girlfriend with him, a lovely girl and very friendly. He apologized for his absence, and said since his sis was so horrid and mean, he sort of went underground if you might say, not contacting anyone at all. He had moved, had his telephone exchanged for a cell phone, etc. It was so good to see him, and to be able to get some details of my sis's death, as I didn't know much at all. You never know what one day will bring do you, and maybe one day my dd who has been absent from me for 18 yrs. will turn up at my door too. (Sigh)
Too funny, dh had to work today at 5, so I was making him a turkey sandwich, with fries. Well, he ran out of time to wait for that, so I said ok I'll make you up some pancakes then, so that was two meal suggestions. Nope, he would have a hot dog that he could heat up quickly in the microw., but he is so cute he says but thanks for being so thoughtful. Geez, he's one you can't stay annoyed with for very long, believe me. So I had the pancakes, LOL. and some raspberries and blueberries. Wish I didn't have chocolate in the house, I get nibbling at it. those chocolate and mint Aero bubbles, yummy. I'll be glad when they are all gone, but not into my mouth.
We had sleet and snow today, but after the sun came out it all melted off the ground, but my nephew said on his drive up here, there was about 2 inches on the highway.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:31 PM

Good evening all!!

JoAnne, thanks, but my shopping methods are hit or miss sometimes. This time I just lucked out. Usually hard to do that at the grocery store.

Of course, RiteAid always has the monthly rebates, and it is the same thing. You use your initial amount to purchase, say, all the items for colds and flu that they have rebates on, send in for your rebates, and by the time you get them, there will be something else that is on the rebate list that you need. That way you are not using more of your money. I just put away the rebate money until that next thing comes along. That way, you have spent one initial outlay, and then are re-using that "free" money from the rebates again and again to keep getting more rebates.

When my sister had borrowed $25 from me in the summer, I really wasn't expecting it back. When she returned it after she got her initial disability check, I tucked it away in case she needs to borrow it again. My Christian upbringing taught me not to be a "lender" unless you can afford to lose it, and not to look for it back. But, believe me, I don't lend money often.

I also don't "borrow" lightly. In my whole life, other than car loans, and my mortgage, I have only borrowed money once. I borrowed $100 from my sister's ex in 1989, for 10 minutes. I wanted to purchase a new-to-me dresser seen in a yard sale, and didn't have but $15 on me. Turns out the dresser was $10, so he got his money back quickly.

It was nice of your nephew to come visit. I know about how siblings can be really embarassing. He was probably trying to keep the peace by just staying out of the fracass. Hopefully, he gave you a new number so that you can stay in contact.

Cau, toffee is one of my favorite candies. I hope your pie turns out well.

My soup for dinner is wonderful. It is just starting to cool off here - 66* was our high for the day. Just what I needed. I definitely will be having some more of this, and soon too. Like tomorrow for lunch.

I also took a nap - laid down for about 2 hours. I knew when the cat woke me up at 5:30 this morning, I would be needing one.

Ladies, better go and get the dinner dishes done.

Have a good night - Norma
Old 10-31-2010, 03:07 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi everyone: Here is King Tut all ready to go Trick or Treating.
Lisa, loved your pictures.
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2010, 03:08 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sorry it is so big, don't know how to make it smaller without losing the details of the picutre.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Kathymac, congrats to your DD on her engagement. You said it was a fall wedding? We just attended my cousin's wedding yesterday. On each table there was a big pumpkin surrounded by those fake fall leaves. It was cute and different, and I bet way cheaper than flower arrangements!

Closed Thread