Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Assistant Moderator

Jokir how do you unravel the yarn? I tried once and it was a mess!

Yes I have Aldis but not close. I don't get there very often. Not as often as I would like! I would do almost all my shopping there if I could.

Crazy us. We are looking at small buildings for a workshop. We don't have a garage and don't see one in the near future .... we can look and think. My thoughts are buy a smaller one, we can sell it later and buy a larger one if we want. Hum.....
Old 09-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

BB, you have to start by taking it all apart first. Then start unraveling at the point the piece was ended, i.e., the sleeve you would start at the shoulder top, the back and front you would start at the shoulder. If you want to get into it I can give you a site with lots of info.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Jokir,Good for you on the yarn.
Connie,Good luck looking at the buildings.
Cheryl,Wow you both have done wonderful.
Frugal for me?Been home for part of the day.My youngest got to spend some time with her b/f.My middle dd came home from her cross county met and thinking she has a small cold now.We went to famous footwear.Got 1 pair and 1 pair for half off for the kids plus my 20 percent coupon which was going to expire today.Ended up spending 77.00 for the 2 pairs.We did go to the libary and got some books for the kids.
Came home and the rest of the day was spent at home.Hoping you all have a wonderful night.
Mish
Old 09-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Charlotte, I hope your DD is recovering well from her leg injury.

I may have to try that Black Cohosh...I've been trying to exercise more, and it seems like my hot flashes are increasing with my exercise level. NOT fun! There is a little bit in the women's multi I'm taking but it's not doing the trick.

I too think that the law against homemade treats is a sad one. Luke's school (PreK-8) says that only Pre-K and K can bring treats for birthdays or parties. And our town public school has the same law against homemade treats. Of course I want to protect allergic children and we have gone to great lengths to do that when there is an allergic child in our child's class or group--but I think this goes too far.

Missibob, I bought the Purex 3 in 1 last year when we went on vacation. It was OK but I wouldn't bother with it for home. However, I stocked up on it for my college-age son so he could have it for the dorm. It's much easier than measuring detergent.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Assistant Moderator

I agree Barbzy. However years ago a teacher told what foods were brought into her classroom and oh my gosh it was bad. Not everyone cares enough to bring in clean food. Gross but it happens.

Made some crabapple jelly tonight. I have two more buckets of apples to put up. Then I think I am done.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Anna - The Smart Balance Milk tastes the same to me as regular milk, even the 1% milk is good. They also have fat free. When the coupon was deducted, it was $.50 for a 1/2 gal. Wish I'd known my daughter needed some as I gave ten 1/2 gallons to the food pantry. Oh, well, she gets my $2 Smart Balance coupons now.
Frugal for me today was having a free lunch, compliments of my daughter, my b'day treat. She also gave me a Red Lobster gift card.
Later in the day got the Free Taco Bell beef taco by saying "Beefie" which I saw on TV late last night. The mgr. was not familiar with the promotion, but I asked her to find out about it. She said I was the 3rd person to ask for the special today, so I did get one beef taco free. Also had a free Limeade coupon which they honored, worth stopping at Taco Bell while I was in town.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:13 PM

Thanks Blondie for the info. on the milk... I'll have to look at the labels and keep a eye out for coupons. I think there was one in the Sunday paper, I gave it to one of my neighbors with a stack of others since she was on the porch when Melissa brought over her Mom's paper.

Mish

Way to go on using coupons and sales specials for the kid's shoes.

I did some runnng around today.. went to IGA which I rarely shop at their prices are high and their store stinks, literally as they have a place in the back where they cook food to go... I can barely stand to be in there. Anyways, they had 24 packs of Pepsi for $4.99 so I bought 2. Went to Walgreen's to get coffee that was on sale Maxwell House only to find it was a new size they are offerring and they did not have it in French Roast. I went to Volunteers of America thrift store and bought 2 wooden photos with old time advertisements on them for store apples... which I will put on my kitchen wall above the cabinets. I like old advertisement retro's... have some in there for Corn Oil 25 cents a gallon, Farm Fresh Eggs 25 cents, Rise and Shine Family Farm Eggs, etc. also have some Pepsi signs and a Pepsi thermometer. I wish I had more wall space my kitchen is so tiny, I only actually have one full wall and most of it is taken up with the refrigerator, book cabinet and microwave stand. Anyways, the signs were $1.91 each. I also bought a huge plastic barrel that pretzels had came in for 90 cents to put some of Cocoa's puppy food in, will use some other containers I have here for the rest. My elderly neighbor Patty gave me about 15 Maxwell House containers a couple weeks ago now and I use those for the big dogs food, some craft beads, etc. Cocoa is pretty smart it won't take her long to figure out how to upheave the dog food bags, not good. I got a tshirt for 99 cents it is from SC and dh said "Oh that'll fit me". Last night he came in and got a sweatshirt out of the closet, it was one of mine LOL! 2X. I am so happy about that he thought it was probably a big 2X size??? And I think the last item I got was a square tin to put DVD's in that we get from Netflix.. again, puppy is getting big tommorow we move another notch on her collar.

I ended up going to Giant Eagle for my coffee, not that great of a price $5.99 for Folgers but sigh! no choice no other deals out there. I sure wish I'd never gotten into the French Roast habit and had stuck with just plain old coffee years ago.

Frugal meals this weekend... I have small red beans soaking, tommorow will make vegetable soup with the beans, veggies and some of the hamburger I precooked. We've been eating chili and frozen pizza yesterday and today for meals. I have to make a Aldi's run tommorow and Krogers I think? as I forgot dh's deoderant till I got to Giant Eagle and they don't carry it. I have so much trouble finding all the things he likes.. Old Spice Fresh Aftershave, Mentadent Toothpaste and Old Spice Spray deoderant... one store will have one but not the other, drives me a little nuts.

Barbzy

Good to see you posting.

Cheryl

Way to go on building the kitty's a "cat house". Dh bought a kit and made one for his Mom many many years ago for the neighborhood cats. He also put shingles on it and a old car mat split in two in the front door of it to stop drafts. She put some old towels inside during the winter months. I think dh put it up on a wood crate too, to keep it out of the snow. I wonder whatever happened to that dog house? She probably gave it away to the neighbors when the two cats she was feeding disappeared over the years.

Well gang, I'm tired and need to run the spyware and check the bank balances... take care.

Btw, dh had a great time at the Ohio State game and was pretty frugal.. water was $4 a bottle, he bought 2 and refused to buy a hot dog for $4.50. I think total including paying for parking, bus fare and drinks he spent $20.00. We also bought a disposable camera for $10 something instead of buying souveniers he has his own shots that will mean alot more to him. I didn't want him to take our good cameras in there in case they'd. get knocked out of his hands and broke or loose the camera.. I don't have a extra $150 plus laying around for another digital camera right now. This one has been very good, it's a Fuji and we've had it at least 6 or 7 years.

Anna
Old 09-18-2010, 07:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

For anyone who drinks Folgers Coffee, the big can, it is on sale at Family Dollar in SC for $5 with the in-store coupon. There are also $.25 and $.50 out on it. It is normally $8.99 in the grocery store.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:26 AM

Good morning all!!

You all were very busy yesterday.

Mish, way to go on all the ways to save on those 2 pair of shoes for the girls. That is how couponing is supposed to be. You wee able to "stack" deal after deal to get the best price. sorry to hear that you dd might have a cold. I am sure she will get over it quickly with you being the nurse.

Anna, maybe if you can sort out which store sells which product, you can make a permanent list with the store name at the top and list those products, even if you don't need it one week. Keep it on the list, just mark it off if you don't need it.

Jokir - I agree on taking the sweaters apart and re-using the yarn. I crochet (can't you guess by the moniker?) and have been known to do that from time to time when I get a good deal. After all, our foremothers did it all the time.

Cheryl, sounds like you are planning to keep all those kitties????? I have to go through my cookbooks from time to time to find something new. That is where I found that "new-to-me" oriental dressing for the cukes. It is not something that I will eat all the time, but one more thing to add into the "rotation" of side salads I can do quickly to take to a potluck, or serve at home. Good going on finding the new cookbook. I go to yard sales, and close my eyes when I see them. I am so tempted.

Connie, I am sure you will find the perfect out-building for your workshop.

Charlotte, I heard on the news that the Old Farmers Almanac is out for 2011 and they are predicting this winter will be coler than last year - not more snow, just colder. That can effect the battery. If you need one, now would be the time.

Barb, the Black Cohosh really does work. When I was taking it, there were no day/night time formulas, just one. I would imagine the night time one is a higher dose to control those nighttime sweats.

I stopped at Walmart on my way home last evening to pick up the rest of the Gain dish detergent I had. I got 24 for just tax. I now won't have to buy any for quite some time. I bought the coupons on e-bay inexpensively, and so each bottle (priced at $.97) only cost me about $.14 each with tax. I am very happy.

I have 2 loads of laundry out on the line (I washed them last night and hung them on hangers in the bathroom until this morning), and two more loads completed this morning. One is in the dryer, and one waiting. These are my towels and "unmentionables".

On Friday night I was able to talk to our women's group about my idea for a "Bring and Barter". They thought it was a good idea, and a couple more people asked me about it yesterday at the women's conference during breaks. Looks like I was able to bring a good idea to the group, maybe one we can do on a yearly basis. The most asked question was, what would be a good thing to bring? That pretty much is open - maybe you have houseplants that you can root some cuttings from (or babies from spider plants?), or a pair of earrings still in the box that were a gift that you really don't care for, maybe your dh bought 2 of something thinking that 2 is better than one, maybe a jar or two of that homemade jam, maybe those tights you bought for your dd were too tight and by the time she tried them on, you had lost the receipt. At least I was able to give them some ideas.

I went into my garage and pulled out a set of twin sheets and a duvet cover (both still in their plastic wrappers) for one of the women in our group who is older, on disability, and survives on $600 month. You would have thought I gave her a million dollars. I had bought them for about $2
each on e-bay years ago, thinking I would give them to one of my friends kids, only to find out that he had a larger bed. I had said that would be something I was thinking about bringing to the Bring and Barter, when she spoke up saying that she only has one set, so has to wash and put them back on continually.

Ladies, better go for now. I have to make breakfast, finish the laundry, put a pork roast in the crockpot, pay bills, do Coupon Swap Club breakfast, etc. before I get out of here to go to church.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 09-19-2010, 04:21 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Good Morning

Brought all my house plants back into the house for the winter. Cleaned up the side porch so we can start stacking wood. Got my grocery shopping and walmart run done yesterday. Need to make up my meal plan for the week. I am having a hard time figuring out what I want to make for the week. Dh is no help.

Plan on cleaning the house and doing my ironing. Bought a new iron yesterday. The old one isn't really heating up anymore. Need to fold some laundry and put stuff away.

Need to take the van and get gas in it for the week.

Norma I hope that we don't get as much snow as last year. I don't know about you but that was way to much for me. We are looking for sales for the car batteries. It isn't really acting up but we know it is coming. So before it dies and I have to buy one that is not on sale. Trying to be proactive here.

Tara called and she is having a nice time down in Virginia with her Marine Biology class. They will head back to the school late this afternoon. They are bring back small animals for the school tanks to do study for the sememster.

Barb--Stephanie is going to start practice this week again. We will see how things go. She didn't run yesterday. The coach needs her on the dual meets which is on Wednesday's. So hopefully the calf will feel better tomorrow when she runs on it.

Charlotte

Closed Thread