Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Roberta, hah! I love how TP reminds people of me!!! But whoa yeah on your $1.99 for that much TP!!!!!! Hope you can sneak in some rest somewhere.

Charlotte, I understood about the quilt, interesting, never thought of that! That's something I'd love to learn to do, if I ever slowed down long enough.

Anna, aren't front porches just the best ever? I sit outside till it's too chilly to sit out there. So happy to hear you had fun.

Went grocery shopping, went to Walmart and they have shorts for $3 a pair so got Meg and Alyssa 2 pr each, they need them for dance. It was fun hanging out with the girls, no fighting! Go figure!

I'm off to wash dishes and do a little laundry, had to pick up some Tide while we were out.

Hugs friends, hope you all have a lovely night.
Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Bluebird - I tell people all the time that Butter, toothpaste, milk, and other items are $4 if you don't use coupons to buy them. I think the cheapest I've gotten butter is $1.50 a lb. and the toothpaste free with coupons. Milk runs $2.49 - $3.49 but have gotten the Smart Balance 1/2 gal Milk on sale for $.50 with coupons.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:21 AM

Blondie

We're just now seeing that Smart Balance milk in our area... does it taste the same as regular milk? I don't drink milk as a rule but just curious. We rarely buy butter either so not sure what our pricing is, I know the last time I did buy it it seemed high, cheese prices seem to be on the rise as well.

Something that burns my butt is Aldi's raising prices during the first week of the month. I have been on a grape kick the past few weeks... Maddy and I demolished a 2 lb. container of grapes in one sitting, so the next week I bought another one. The week before the first of the month it was $1.48 for a 2 lb. container, the week of the first it went up to $2.48. Bought some day before yesterday it was back at $1.48. I was telling a customer there about it and we both agreed if folks who get food stamps or the elderly could stagger their grocery purchases, Aldi's wouldn't be able to do that. Walmart is another I've seen raise their prices the first week of the month, especially at Thanksgiving. It's not right, these are the people who can least afford it and especially on the fruits/veggies.. parents would be more tempted to buy them and kids would be healthier if the prices were reasonable like the grapes for $1.48. This is something that is covered in that documentary "Food Inc.". I want to get the other DVD's that correlate with it, one is called "Supersize Me" and I can't remember right now the other one that my pharmacist referred.

Anna
Old 09-18-2010, 04:17 AM

Good morning all!!

Sorry I couldn't get on yesterday before work - I had to make my new "signature" salad - it is the cucumber salad with the oriental dressing. It was well-received at the women's potluck at church last night.

Today we are having a multi-nation simulcast with a well-renowned author and Bible Study teacher. I need to be at the church by 8 to finish helping with the set-up.

Before that I need to drop off some school items I ordered online. It is a teachers (I ordered 20 of them) kit for teaching financial responsibility - called, get this - "Feed the Pig". I thought it was so cute. The woman next door to my sister teaches language arts to the 8th graders, but will distribute to the math teachers. This actually combines math with real life - what an amazing concept. I see these things online, order them, and then just pass them off to the school.

Connie, I hope Giz is ok. It must have been really scary. Happy Belated Birthday to Jeremy. I hope it was special for him. If you think that you are your dh's wages are being taken out too low - why not put the amount you think you are underpaying into a separate savings account? That way, you will not spend it, and it will be available at tax time, so that you are not stressed at that time.

JoAnne, I hope Bobby starts to feel more like the Bobby of old. Maybe instead of a seizure, it was a stroke. He can't tell you what's going on inside his brain. As my Mother got older, she would have these little strokes every so often. Sometimes they didn't affect her physically, but it did affect her mind.

Roberta, I am glad the cold is more in your head than chest. I have been fighting something for awhile now. In the morning I am really congested in the head, and finally it starts to clear up. It doesn't feel like "morning head" and it doesn't feel like allergies, so I have to conclude that it is a cold trying to work it's way into my body.

Kathy, hope you are feeling better.

Lisa, you really are busy. Hope the cs shows up soon for you.

Well ladies, I thought I might be in real trouble with my car yesterday. It was not turning over all the time. So I called my sister and she and my nephew took it to the dealership. My nephew lifted the hood, and we spotted lot of corrosion on the battery (very pretty ranging from white to royal blue crystals). But I thought it might be the starter. It turned out to be just a new battery and battery cable. Much less expensive than a new starter, but more expensive than if my local mechanic had had it.

Ladies, better go for now, and get dressed and out of here.

You all take care and have a wonderful Saturday. Norma
Old 09-18-2010, 05:29 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Norma glad you figured out what was wrong with your car. Dh just said something to me the other day about getting a new battery soon. My van is almost 7 yrs old and still has the original battery.

Dh is putting new brakes and rotators on my van this moring it cost us about $110 verses $300 if we would have went to the garage. The money saved went to 2 cords of wood delivered already this morning. We got 2 cords of wood for $305. I see alot of stacking in my future!!!!

I am starting the laundry will hang it outside to dry. Going grocery shopping. We are closing the pool this weekend so that will save me on electric. No pool pump running. September and May are usually my cheapest electric bill because we are using the least amount of electric--no heat or a/c, no pool pump and not much use of the dryer.

Will unload the dishwasher. Ran a very full load last night when I went to bed. Dh and I went to the farmers market last night and got our fruit and veggies and some lunchmeat and cheese. We spend under $30.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Charlotte
Old 09-18-2010, 05:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Dh is working today. So I'm trying to decide what to do with myself.
There are things I need to do and things I want to do.
It's been raining here for the last few days, but our temps are up in the 70's so it's kinda sticky.

I painted the bathroom yesterday it looks pretty good and almost finished with it all the little extras.

Nothing really earth shattering to report from my side of the continent.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning! I'm just checking in to see how you all are doing. DH and I have a football party to go to at one of his co-workers' houses. I asked him during the week if we needed to bring anything and he told me no. Well, this morning, I read over the invitation and we're supposed to bring a side dish or dessert with a Mexican theme! AARGH! I'm off to see if I can find something on allrecipes.com. If not, I'm making blondies. I don't think anyone will complain.

I'm feeling a lot better than earlier in the week. This is definitely a chest cold, but I feel a little bit better everyday.

I got the electric bill yesterday. $50 less than last month's! The next one will probably be lower still and then start going back up as the heat will be going on probably toward the end of October.

I hope you all have a great Saturday! I'll check in later this evening or tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Kathy,Have fun at your party.
Lisa,Hope your cs shows up todau too.
Norma,Glad you had an easy fix.
Connie,Happy Belated b-day to your son.I am surprized that just because your kids were home schooled that they won't let them go to school there!
Anna,Glad your dog is ok.
Joanne and Connie,Hoping your dogs will be ok.So sorry i went missing.Yesterday went and waited for the truck to come back from the dealership and they had found something wrong with it.So I paid the bill and it was way too high. Then I went to walmrt with the rental car and had a call from the nurse.She had finally done the lice check on the kids and my youngest had some dead stuff in her hair.I did check with the nurse and don't need to treat her hair with any chemicals.
So I came home and they go my car fixed so the dealership dropped off my truck and gave them the rental car back.Aslos spent 153.00 at the store but I had to get some hamburger meat and some other stuff.Got some Purnia Benfull for the dog to try and the dog loves it.Dh thinks it is full of fat and need to try a differnet dog food.
Anyways so I was home for the day and had watched my g/fs kids.
Aslo today my middle dd is running in her cross country met and she got a ride with her b/f/ So the only moeny spent was on her for food and some money on gas.
I might go and get the 2 kids shoes as they need them really bad.
Mish
Old 09-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

Afternoon everyone. Another pretty day here - although it's a bit warm. Sounds like everyone is keeping busy and frugal!

Milk here usually run $2 a gal. or less. Sometimes Aldi has it for $1.79. I have noticed ALL the stores around here raise prices the first week of the month. Their ads are never as good either.
One thing I have also noticed is that to find the best mark downs (espec. meat and bakery) one needs to go on early Tues. or Thurs. mornings. Tuesdays they are getting rid of overstock from weekend, and on Thursday they are gearing up for the weekend - so get rid of lots of things cheaper. You might check your area stores.

CONNIE - don't know if you have Aldi there - but their butter is usually much cheaper per pound.

FRUGAL today - depends on how you look at it!! I did go and buy a nice dog (I mean CAT) house. It's very nice with shingles and siding. My brother came over to help me move it to backyard from car. (HEAVY!!) So if they get used to it they will "be styling". LOL They have already been checking it out. Will put straw in it later.

Did some straightening around here.
Found a "gently used" gift bag downstairs for the shower present (has kitties on it of course!). Will make my own card.
Oh, I did stop at a yard sale on my way home this morning. I got a cookbook of low-calorie recipes (w/calories listed per serving) for $1. That will help us diversify a little.
DH is still doing great with his eating. Not sure loss pound wise (scales are hard for him to get on), but he has lost 4" off belly and 3" off his chest. I have maintained a 10 lb. loss.
All meals from home. Did have to turn AC back on about 1:00. Turned it off at bedtime last night.
Need to work on my articles some more.

Take care and enjoy your weekend!
Old 09-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good deal today

I knit and good yarn can be expensive so I go to thrift stores and look for sweaters to unravel and reknit into something else. I got a 3X gorgeous grey short sleeved 100% CASHMERE sweater for $4.00. Now I have to unravel and see how much yardage I have so I'll know what I can make. It appears to be a good grade as I don't see any short fibers or breaks. No moth damage at all either. Yea me.

Closed Thread