Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Assistant Moderator

Jean so glad to see you!! Soft hugs and take it easy.

Ericka, sounds good with Desi.

Charlotte, I gave my dh a crash course on shabby chic. I bought a 80's shelf with hearts. Cut a 1x4 to cover up the hearts, added some trim, two coats of creamy white paint, sanded and polyed it. I think he gets it now. lol Some things need to be stripped and refinished some don't.
Thriftstore day today! Four huge bags for $30. One pair of Eastland shoes, two pillows with speakers for MP3 players, pretty jar for a vase, books, Polo jeans for dh and clothes for the rest of us. I may have to cut dd off soon. lol She is running out of room in her closet! I will say this, she wears what she buys. The library had a book sale, spent $18 on two boxes of books and scrapbook supplies. City wide garage sales in the morning too! I worked at the shed today. I am loving working there. The six or seven hours I worked this week helped her catch up on little and not so little things. Today I finshed two projects for her. I feel good. I haven't felt good for so long.... I had forgotten how wonderful life can be.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

CONNIE- remember- you have lot's of girlfriends here!!!!!!!!!!!

ANNA- oh my whata cutey!!!!!!!!!! Looks so cuddley.

ELLEN - I always drank lot's of wate rand kept hard candy at my desk. It did help my throat.

LISA - ecclectic!? That's my kind of girl. I'm envy you that you have had rain!! Wish we would get some.

JEAN - so glad to see you post. Please take care and get tons of rest. Still praying for you. HUGS

FRUGAL today - this AM we turned off the ceiling fan in bdrm. as it was chilly. It hasn't been off for at least 2-3 months. OMG - it looked like we could make a small furry animal out of the dust!!! Needless to say I cleaned it.

I ran to orchard and got apples. Farm market for plums. Watered everything. Cleaned out birdbaths. Filled hummy feeders again!! Picked up df's son from school. I also stopped at thrift store while out. Got a cute sweatshirt - .69, 2 small totes for kids Christmas - .80 ea., and a 12 pk. of holiday scented votives from Yankee Candles for 4.80. That will probably be a gift. (Package has never been opened).

I also did some reorganizing again in food storage area in basement. Took a lot of home canned goods down in past couple weeks - had to find room!
All meals from home. No AC again today! YAY
It was absolutely gorgeous out today.

Called my vet today about momma kitty. Asked about the 7 day thing. She said if incision is clear and not pink, stitches are inside, eating & drinking good, and doing potty alright - to release her tomorrow. 72 hours should be more than fine! I'm so happy for her. She has been so good and so loving. So Momma gets her freedom again tomorrow!!!!

Please don't forget to fly your flags proudly tomorrow in rememberance of those who perished on September 11, 2001. God bless their families and friends.
May we never forget!

Have a blessed weekend.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Cheryl,Wow you have been busy.
Jean,So glad to see you on here.
Anna,Congrats on the new puppy.Love the name.
Frugal for me?Went to my class and stopped by a compter lab to get more of the notes printed off.Then came home as dh chipped his crown.He went to the dentist and all of his work is going to be about 600.00 I am not shocked as he needs to have a new crown and a filling too.Plus he doesn't take care of his teeth so now we have that big bill to look forward too.Then stopped and got some sandwichs at somesub place.They were ok not really impressed.We came home and dh worked on the basement abit.
But then later on went to get our meds and that was about 40.00 and also went to Lowes and the title is docountied.Of course I never did find the time to go back and get more titling so it is all my fault.Forget the fact that dh has had about 2 and 1/2 years to get the titling done! Grrrr!
Not sure but Lowes is going to call the Corp. office and maybe try to help us out.Oh and my truck goes in on Monday after my class.Told the dealership I wanted a ride home right away.Looks like I am going to have to really buckle down on all of our expenses here. My written assignement is all done but I have until Wesday to do the quiz plus I have a test next week too.Need to go.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Mish
Old 09-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Anna, loving your choice of the puppy. She/he is so cute, and I also like the name. My ds had a siamese kitten called Cocoa a couple of years ago, that he got from the SPCA, she had been badly abused with cigarette butts, etc.

We had our teeth cleanings on Wed., and I was dismayed to hear that I had 2 fillings to be done, plus having the chipped front tooth bonded again. Wouldn't you know, dh drinks Coke and eats all kinds of ice cream, and he didn't have one cavity, grrr.
We are lucky my nephew just charges us what he has to pay the hygeniest for one hour.

A new A & W has opened this week fairly close to our place, so we decided to give it a try tonight. We got there about 5:20 and it was literally packed. I went in and got a seat, and dh was waiting in the lineup, when we decided to come back sometime when the newness has rubbed off. Instead we went to McDonald"s, I cannot remember the last time we went there. It was probably at least 5 yrs. ago. I had their smallest hamburger and a diet Pepsi, dh had a Big Mac & a filet-o-fish and a Pepsi, and the bill came to $16.00, wow, I was so shocked, that is even more than a large pizza, which is our usual treat dinner. Good thing we don't eat out often.

Lost 1 lb. since Tues., so that was encouraging.

I am limping around tonight, of all things, I ran over my nail less big toe with my large computer chair with me in it. Oh what pain!

My sis is getting as many free apples as she can pick and is getting a basket for us too. Free is good!!

Good to see you posting, Jean. I hope you will continue to feel better, and in no time you will be back to your usual self.

Goodnight all.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Frugal this weekend will be ordering my pets vet supplies from a place in Australia that is waaay cheaper than the vet and he actually is lower priced than others around here and the popular U.S. online store too.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:38 PM

jokir

Awesome on the pet supplies savings.. could you share their website with us? There are 2 ladies on here from Australia.

Kathy

I had forgotten that your labs name was Cocoa and then when someone reminded me I thought it was spelled Coco. I remember telling you what a great name that was, must have stuck in the back of my head. I do love the name.

The puppy is doing great... lots of correcting (sigh) but we knew that going in. She has taken a liking to my sofa cushions but we're catching her early and smacking the snout with a stern No, fingers crossed it works. She is so sweet and went right into her cage last night, no crying at all, all night. That's a first.. dh was eagerly prepared to haul her in the bed if she cried whew! she didn't. So far she's a really good little doggie. The girls are adjusting, Bailey is jealous but then she's jealous of the other dogs too. She and Cocoa are hilarious playing in the back yard, Cocoa is big boned and slow moving and Bailey is so fast.. she'll playfully nip at Cocoa and run out of reach. It warms my heart and David's to watch them, we still miss Angel fiercely but the puppy is helping us to heal.

Not alot frugal... went to Wally World, spent $70 but $10 was for business supplies and another $15 was for laundry detergent and toothpaste for both dh and me.

Jean

I too am glad to see you posted and hope that things continue to improve for you day by day.

LoriMae

I would have helped you peel the apples too... I always loved the idea of women working together to prepare food. When I was a teenager and involved in the Mormon church, we did that at the church on occassion. They taught us to knit (forgot how) how to sew, and had started learning about stocking up on food when my parents seperated.

Well better get to bed, didn't realize it was so late.

Anna
Old 09-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Nine Year Member

Jean, it is so good to see you posting. Make sure you take care of yourself and give yourself time to heal properly. You can't do this later--it has to be now, so just relax and give yourself permission to be The Queen for a bit. If you are good to yourself, you will be so glad later. And so will your family!
Old 09-11-2010, 03:03 AM

Good morning all!!

Jean, welcome back, we have missed you so, and are keeping you in prayer for a full, easy recovery. Thank you for thinking of my with regard to my bd.

Connie, I am so glad that you are finding some happiness in your life and new move.

Anna, I am happy that Cocoa is finding her way in your lives too. You will teach her, and she will figure it out.

JoAnne, yes, fast food is expensive. Glad to hear that you will be getting some free apples. They can help keep plaque and tartar off your dh's teeth if he will munch on them. Sorry about the toe, sounds really painful, especially since you did it to yourself.

Cheryl, as always you are always busy. I took one of my fans apart the other week to clean it. It is black, so I could easily see what had to be cleaned. As soon as I would get one blade wiped it was attracting the next bit of whatever was in the air.

Ericka, I have no idea about Driect TV, but you have a great understanding for these gadgets, so I am sure you will figure it out. Didn't it come with written directions? Maybe try going to their website, either to a FAQ part or a "contact us" part and see if you can't get your questions answered.

Right now the air is off, the fans are off, and it is really quiet in here. I can hear the crickets outside, not even any traffic in the area. It is also 55* here, but I have the windows open. I slept in sox and sweatpants, but with a t-shirt as my top seems to heat up and be uncomfortable quicker than my legs.

I have completed one load of laundry and will start the next in a minute, so I can get both hung out before I leave. I will be going to the fire house yard sale. This is the one I like so much in the spring. Then I will be going over to Walmart to see if they have the new Gain dishwashing detergent still for $.97. I have $1.00 coupons and am excited to be getting them free. Then will be going to the Children's Hospital in Philly with one of my prayer sisters to pray at the bed of a little 7 yr. old girl who has had 4 open heart surgeries so far in her life. During her last one, something broke off of what they were attaching to the heart valve, went to her brain, and she had a stroke, paralyzed her left side. She is doing a little better, but still incredibly weak, and needs prayer. Her name is Abagail. If you include her in your prayers, it would be greatly appreciated. And for her Mother, Elisa too, I don't think there is a father involved.

My sister asked me the other night if I knew about "hoarding". I told her that hoarding is when you keep piling up stuff and never use any of it, and put the trash, garbage with it until you can't move. I use my stuff - like Connie's daughter wearing her clothes. And the trash keeps going out the front door. I told her I am stocking up for free, and then I won't have to buy any (maybe for years), like those garbage bags. She just doesn't get it, not in quantities anyway. She can see getting one or two of something free, but not 40.

She doesn't understand that I can afford to buy better quality food, or eat out, or buy that new coat because of what I save, by not having to buy something else. But she is not complaining when I am keeping her supplied with tp, hair care items, garbage bags, etc. from my "stash".

Ladies, better go for now. I have a lot of runnng to do today.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 09-11-2010, 03:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Good morning! I woke up WAY early this morning with phantom cramps (no fair!!) Any other hyster patients out there get these? It hasn't happened in a while but it sure is making up for it today :P

JEAN! I'm glad to see you; sorry you are still in pain but praying that will ease soon and the surgery will have been a success.

Norma, sorry I missed your birthday. I hope it was a happy day

Lisa, re your son & counseling: many counselors will work on a sliding scale for people with no insurance. I bet if you ask your pastor at church he can give you a few leads. There is a strong connection between depression and addiction, that's for sure. If he gets the depression treated, he should be better able to deal with the addiction. And as Roberta suggested, AA...DEFINITELY! If you want to know how to help him to help himself, check into Al-Anon.

Anna, I made the French toast for Luke and he doesn't always put syrup on it. Sometimes cinnamon-sugar, sometimes powdered sugar. You could also use it in Monte Cristo sandwiches (just add ham & Swiss, then heat to melt the cheese).

Your little Rottie is so cute! DD's best friend's family has a wonderful one. This dog is a gentle giant for sure, amazing around kids--but if he senses a threat from a stranger, he can be scary to just look at! Yet my daughter can feed this dog with a fork (really funny to watch!) I have known this dog since he and Luke were babies together so I'm not scared of him, and I am hesitant around most dogs. But I can walk into their yard at night and Max doesn't even bark or anything--he'll just walk over, walk me to the door and then block my way so I can't get in before paying some attention to him, LOL! I showed Luke the picture of Cocoa because he doesn't remember Max being so small. Luke wants to come over and hug your dog.

Cheryl, is the sugar-honey face scrub good for teens with oily skin? If so, my DD will definitely want to try it. That would be nice pampering for after her games & practices!

I use a sugar + olive oil scrub (equal parts) for rough spots on my feet. It was posted here on FC a long time ago--maybe by Anna or Connie?

Connie, that online school sounds like a cool opportunity! I hope the kids settle down and get into it.

Charlotte, what colleges are scouting your daughter?

Norma, I'm with you about the water restrictions. This is nothing I'm not already doing. Of course, with 4 of us here, I've always got a full laundry load, LOL! But I guess so many people are used to just wasting!

Ellen, tea with honey should help with the dry throats. And keep VERY well hydrated! If you can find someone who sings professionally, pick their brains about what they do to keep their throat in good condition as well.

One of the sites I write for is hosting a giveaway of a gorgeous baby blanket--worth upwards of $50. We'll have 2 more giveaways later this month. This is a really nice prize.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:14 AM

9-11 we will never forget

Good Morning Everyone

Barbzy

Tell Luke to come on over, Cocoa is up for hugs. She's laying here beside me right now chewing on a big flat square of raw hide, gotta keep those little teeth busy on appropriate things. She found a metal lid from one of my candle jars, took it away and handed her the rawhide instead. We're having some challenges right now with food.. she eats voraciously (she's been wormed twice so don't think it's worms) I seem to remember our first dog Lady who was a boxer/rottweiler doing this too and we didn't know back then that she needed to have a bowl up off the ground because of stomach bloat. We'll be using a cement block I think for Cocoa as those darn bowls are expensive. Also need to buy some cayenne pepper to start painting the furniture with as she's trying to chew on anything wood on her level. Been there, done that with our Lady dog still have the chew marks in the window sill.

I forget now who was asking, Norma? About the sore throats. I did telemarketing for many years and we always kept Chloreseptic spray at our desks, it soothes and numbs the throat quickly.. it tasted nasty back in the day, haven't used it in years hopefully they've improved the taste.

I will be home today madly making candles... called Logan yesterday only to find out we are completely sold out of all our fall candle stock. So I'll be making Coffee, Buttered Maple Syrup, Maple Pecan and Pumpkin Pie candles today to take down tommorow. I was on the fence about going to the malls this weekend and finally did find the fishing line (Um I put in it our tool storage drawers) why? I have no clue but dh had used a wrench or something and said he thought he saw it in there. I'm hoping maybe I can talk him into stringing necklaces today.

Barbzy... the sugar scrub works wonderfully although I am the one who posted years ago about the olive oil and sugar, they are basically the same.

For Oily Skin... a good one to try is Bentonite Clay. I'll post here in a minute where I get mine, it's pretty cheap and it goes a long way. You mix it with water to make a mud paste, plaster it on your face and let it dry. Allow to stay on your face about 5 minutes, rinse and it takes all the impurities out of your skin including the oils.

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com...ProductID=2704

Well gang, I'm off to clean up the kitchen so I can start making the candles.

Take Care and Everyone Please Remember Today is 911 and put up your flag, even if it's just one of those small ones that you wave at parades.. tape it to the mail box or another such place.

Anna

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 09-11-2010 at 04:19 AM.

Closed Thread