Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:14 AM

What Did You Do Frugal Today~April 2010

For encouragement in frugal ways--large and small--look no further. This is where we share helpful hints for stretching our money, saving time and making sure we don't waste resources.

Remember, "frugal" does not mean "don't spend money!" It means "be wise with what you spend!"

What did YOU do frugal today?

Anna
Old 03-31-2010, 08:24 AM

Bluebird

Did you mean send the coupons to Norma? Thanks.

Frugal today? Making my newest batch of soap, Oregon Wildberries. I'm waiting now for the oils to cool down to match the warmed up lye/milk mixture, they have to be the same temp. to mix. I have the timer set for 8 more minutes.

I'm also going to go through more coupons here in a minute before heading out again to Giant Eagle for more No Yolk Egg Noodles if they have any more in stock and more dog food that I have coupons for. They also had Schick 3 razors $2.99 w/coupon.. not a fantastic deal but better than $6.00.

Well the buzzer is going off.. be back soon.

Anna
Old 03-31-2010, 08:33 AM
Assistant Moderator

Yes that is what I meant!
Old 03-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning! Today is turning out to be such a pretty day! I plan to spend a lot of time outdoors. I really need to do a little weeding.
Frugal today will be making a batch of runzas, some for tonight's dinner and some for the freezer. We made some no bake cookies, using butterscotch chips in place of chocolate. I also added a small box of bran flakes that we got in the mail as a freebie. Other than that, just working on some knitting projects for Mother's Day and my sister's b-day. I found some bamboo/cotton yarn in pastels, to make some more summery type socks. I also want to make a handbag for my sister since she loves purses. I noticed last time I visited her that she had a closet full. lol
Also frugal will be stretching the food and meals a little further since there is an extra pay day this month. Nice to have an extra pay day, but it mixes up my shopping schedule.
Chris, good going on the job promotion! Sounds like things are going well.
Norma, I hope you have a nice evening with your sister and can still sneak in a little spa time.
Anna, you are doing a fantastic job on coupons and stocking up! Oh, my gosh about the business card...how crazy. Glad you have a good marriage, too!
Jean, is your ds's jaw bothering him? I think I would get more than one opinion on that. I have felt like lately, that going to the dentist is kind of like going to the car mechanic sometimes.
Karen, hoping good things come your way on the job situation.
Connie, sometimes you just have to pray and follow your instincts. I'm sure you did the right thing. Hope things start to pick up for you! I am not the type to get massages, but I have a good friend who goes once a month. I would buy things like bath salts, etc. Especially if they were visual.
Well, I really need to start the bread dough. Take care my friends, and I hope all of you have had a good start to your day so far!
Jamie.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:30 AM
Nine Year Member

I did look Anna thanks for that suggestion but the pull cord goes into a metal tube into the engine so I dropped it off this morning for repair. Guess there was a reason I did take the 1 yr extended replacement warranty after all. Might be a good thing since the mower has only been run for 8 hrs in the fall.

I have a load of laundry out on the line drying and waiting on my BIL and nephew to show up to help move three lilac trees out of the garden.

Going to work on decluttering the kitchen while I wait on them I do have two of the new holes dug.

Roberta
Old 03-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hey there all! I can't believe we are edging into April already--wow!

Anna--
The story about the business card cracked me up!

Jamie--
Thanks for the congrats on the job promotion. It's a small promotion to "keyholder," which basically just means I'm locking up the store and checking everyone's work on a night or two here and there, but the nice part is that I still get to enjoy the raise whether I'm doing keyholder duties or my regular guest service duties.

Frugal here? Looks like I'll be doing some online grading over the next few weeks, so that should be some extra cash. The weather is getting nicer here, so entertainment is pretty cheap for me then--I love to be outside! Tonight I'm planning to go for a quick run and then spend some time with a girlfriend cooking out on her deck.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Just subbing for now, have a dozen things left to do and time is wasting away on me! Will catch up in a bit, hugs all!

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Chris, who are you doing the online scoring with? I used to do that for ETS. I'd love to hear what you think of the job.

Anna, ROFL about the business card. I've found them in library books too.

Frugal today: I have been wanting a latte, and with Panera Bread right around the corner, it is a dangerous temptation ($3.79 each!) So...went to Shop Rite for my groceries and picked up a can of whipped cream ($3) and a bottle of caramel syrup ($2.50)--for less than the cost of 2 lattes I can make a bunch of fake ones right here. 2 cups of coffee + 1/3 cup milk warmed for 30 seconds in the microwave, + some whipped cream on top and caramel drizzle. It won't be a "real" latte but it tastes delicious and I won't want to wander to Panera. Even if you buy premium coffee, it's cheaper to brew it at home than to buy it out.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Barb--
The scoring is through Pearson. Oddly enough, they are based in Coralville, Iowa, where I just happened to visit over the weekend. I was right next to their building. Funny coincidence. I will be starting the training and then the scoring over the next few days, so I'll let you know how it goes. And good job on the homemade latte idea!
Old 03-31-2010, 12:07 PM
Nine Year Member

Barb we have been doing that at home as well. I like the carmel mocha coffees so we brew the coffee and add cocoa with sugar and carmel into the coffee. If we are splurging carlorie wise we add whipped topping, carmel and chocolate syrup on top. I priced it at 2000% cheaper than at a resturant to do it at home.

My lilac trees have been moved with just one casuality which was the one that had split last year and we weren't sure if it would handle being moved since it was growing out the side. Now to get them watered and fill in the hole in the garden with the loose soil.

I bought two chocolate bunny suckers at the grocery this morning from a church that was selling them to add to the kids baskets. Which reminds me I didn't pick up my RX on my way home will have to do that before they close and it is a new billing month.

Roberta

Closed Thread