Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > What Did You Do Frugal Today

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Just finished dinner and waiting for a commercial to clean it up. I gotta watch Survivor!

Cheryl: That's awesome that you have that much done on your Christmas shopping. I have only done a few things so far.

I like making goodies bags/baskets/boxes as well. Sometimes, I take a shoe box and cover it with Christmas paper and line the inside with parchment paper and put my baked goodies in there and give away.

Temps are dropping now and I'm hoping to get in a walk this evening.

Hope everyone has a good night. Talk later...
Old 10-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I canít believe it is October already.
Today we stayed home as the plumber was due out. We really got shafted with the plumbing at this house, have already replaced the kitchen faucet 3 times, both pumps and now 1 of the toilets. The plumber mentioned that the guarantee is null and void if you put ANYTHING in the tank to clean it. The cleaning tablets destroy the fittings. You can put anything in the bowl itself. I thought Iíd pass it on.
The flu is already here so Iím pulling out the paper cups and extra toothbrushes. So far only 2 of us have been hit.3 of us had the flu shot and now am trying to get the other 2 healthy enough
Dh put a piece of fiber board on the carpet threshold to cover the dogís handiwork. Just Too many unexpected expenses this month already. We have a wedding Saturday. It is a family one so the good part is seeing all the nieces and nephews again.
Weather has been cool, really fall like.
Patrice good to hear from you
Connie Good luck on the store

Old 10-01-2009, 05:05 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Good Evening Everyone

Yes, isn't it unbelieveable that it's October already.. time has went so fast this summer. I haven't done anything particularly frugal today made more votives todays scented Home Sweet Home which is strong cinnamon scent. I'm debating, I think I may just saran wrap each one and tie a ribbon and put them all in a wicker basket instead of packaging them up. People are more likely to pick one up I think. The only problem is the warning label info. laws are such a pain in the behind on small things like that. I'll probably have to stick with the packaging in order to get that label on there.. you can't attach it to the votive, I've tried many ways and they don't stick or they are permanantly stuck and you run the risk of a fire. I'm only doing the votives to get rid of a stockpile of wax and won't be doing them again after it's gone... or at least not till next Christmas.

All meals from home today, spent $2.09 for coffee cream first money I've spent all week... dh has been spending 40 cents a day for one diet pepsi so we've spent less than $6 altogether for the whole work week.

Tommorow is shopping day but I'm going to try to only buy what we need for the weekend and maybe shop on Monday... not sure yet but that's what I'd like to do.

Connie

Unfortunately on the state taxes.. we only pay what we collect in retail sales which isn't very much. All of our sales in the store are considered wholesale and they collect and pay the taxes. I do very little retail sales in our state, the retreat and one or two small orders yearly. I would suggest getting a accountant and seeing if there are any free business classes available either in your town or a adjoining one.

Odd thing today... I was looking through Craigslist and saw Vendors wanted Logan, Ohio... that immediately got my attention. Our old store is being rented out to a lady who sells Tots to Teens clothing and she's renting the basement out on the weekends for crafting events. I contacted them and told them being out of town I wouldn't want to drive to and from 2 days in a row and sit there for 8 hours but they are considering mingling crafts in their store and they looked at our website and will be getting back with me when they get that up and running... so I may be going back to my old store but still staying in the new one too. We will try to go to their "new" store next weekend to see what it looks like.

Anna
Old 10-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hey all, yes, October, wow! Months are flying by...

Frugal tonight, made breakfast for supper, bacon and chocolate chip pancakes. Right now I've got chocolate chip cookies going for the kids, if I can keep them out of the cookie dough!

Cleaned up the house quick but the girls helped out a lot! Had my mom pick Meg up from school, she started her monthly...the first one ever. Thank goodness she had something but she was crampy, which explains how her stomach has been hurting the past 2 days. Mom took us to lunch. Yes, Mom and I talked and worked out our differences. She didn't/doesn't see how she continues to cut down my parenting but, I have to give her credit, she's bit her tongue since we talked.

So, nothing else new, just that. Big hugs to you all my friends!

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I gave Lea some money to buy a dress for homecoming at the mall, she's 13 and she did pretty well buying her dress, 2 pairs of shoes, jewelry, a skirt and 2 shirts and a sweater all for $110. She still has $20 left to buy a purse and accessories too. She said she could hear me saying to shop frugally in her head. Thats pretty good to walk away with all that, plus $5 in dinner for her and her friend, to still have money left with receipts and be 13 shopping alone at the MALL with her friend. I think I'm raising her right!
Old 10-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Patrice, I clicked on your blog, WOW has Lea grown!!!! Very nice choice on her dress. I think you are definitely raising her right, she did some great shopping!

I'm finally calling it a night, just not got sleepy.

Hugs all around,
Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:41 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Good Morning. Thankgoodness it is Friday. Didn't get on the computer last night. I had a realy hard day at work yesterday and was misserable when I got home last night.

Wrote out some bills this morning. On my way to work soon. Need to leave work early. I have a support hearing with my ex to take my older daughter off child support now that she is 18yrs old. Still have 1 more child that he has to pay for.

Frugal today will be no a/c or heat. Dh ordered 2 cords of wood to be delivered next week. Running the wood burning stove during the winter really helps with our electric bill. Dh will schedule the guy to come out and clean the chimney in the next week or two. Don't want to start the stove to everything is cleaned. We are going to look for a new storm door. Ours has been broke for a long time. I have the screen ducked taped so it stays in.

Lisa glad you got to talk to your mom yesterday. I have a hard time with my mom and sometime we get along really well and other times I visit her I can't stand to be around her.

Patrice good job with teaching your daughter to be frugal. I have daughters also. I love it when they spend time to get the good deals. They get a thrill out of it also.

Well time to get my day started.

Charlotte
Old 10-02-2009, 03:34 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Happy Friday Everyone

It's a cold rainy morning here in central Ohio . Ick! We had a major wreck on the freeway close to our house this morning involving a police officer and a commuter, no one was seriously hurt but it had traffic snarled up when dh left for work, he got there safe and sound thank the lord. I'll be off here in a bit to go to Meijers to use that $10 off coupon and taking my coupons along too.

That's about it so far this morning... Norma, I sent you out two fat envelopes yesterday with coupons.

Charlotte

Hope today is a better day at work for you.

Oh more frugals this weekend... we'll be having burritto's for lunch tommorow, using refried beans I made from leftover chili that I ground in the food processor and our lettuce and tomatoes will come from our garden. Onions still aren't big enough to pull out yet. And I'm putting the last chicken I bought last month from Walmarts in the crockpot this morning before I leave for the store (I had bought 4) to make a pot of chicken vegetable soup with noodles this weekend.

Anna

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 10-02-2009 at 03:38 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have to buy dog food today after going to the bank. Pulling the veggie beef soup I have in the freezer out for dinner will have ham sandwiches with it.

My plan is to pull out the summer clothes and box them up so there is room for the winter clothes in the kids dressers. Will see how my finger holds up.

Roberta
Old 10-02-2009, 04:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I have some shopping to do today, staples etc.
We also are attending a funeral this morning for our neighbor who passed this week.

I have one load in the wash now and will be doing bed linens soon trying to get a jump on chores.
Dh will be hunting this week-end so will be a movie week-end and crafts for me.

Closed Thread