Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living > What Did You Do Frugal Today

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 05:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Brrrr, Connie! That's too cold for this early in the season!

Happymomof4--
All your baking sounds tasty!!

Anna--
Good going on getting all those buckeye necklaces done!

LoriMae--
I enjoy Halloween too. When we decide to do a "dress up" day for it at work, I really have fun with it!

Frugal for me? Colored my hair at home again, and I'm taking chili for lunches this week--made a big crock pot full on Sunday. Also got a rebate check in the mail yesterday.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Yesterday I went to the trading store to trade a dish set, some dvd's we were no longer watching, and a big chair I got from freecycle. They took all but the chair saying they didn't have room for it right then, but I did get $22 in credit, so I got some head phones for Lea's Ipod, a electronic back massager the ones that are in walgreens, and I got a plant stand and a umbrella. The back massager was priced at $40 but she lowered it to $14 so I could get it. And so I took the chair to a used furniture store to see what I could get for it and one wanted to give me $5 for a Broyhill chair because it had a little dog hair on it. It wasn't covered in it just a little so I took it to another store, they gave me $15 but that was $15 for a free chair, so hey...

Then I went and picked up a freecycle of 6 plants. Tonight is Lea's soccer game and I'm providing the snacks/drink, so Lea had me get halloween candy that I bagged up individually. I bought a case of Ice tea in a can from save-a-lot for $2.99 so thats what I'm bringing.

Dinner tonight because we're on the go will be off the dollar menu. Burger or sandwich only.

And then after her game I have to pick up an art table off craigslist for $5, so lots of running around today.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Absolutely, Patrice...15.00 is 15.00 more you didn't have before. Sounds like you did very well!
Chris, good going on the boots! Sometimes you just have to invest to get the good quality and longer wear.
Connie, oh, brrr! That is very cold for early October. How is Jasmine doing this afternoon? I have been thinking about her today.
Pam, ugh, I know. Not a good game for the Cowboys at all. Kudos on your meal planning!
Jacki, sounds like you had a wonderful time at the Disney show! Ooh, Irish Breakfast tea sounds so good right now!
Jean, congratulations to your ds on his deer!
Anna, I hope you and Madison both sell lots of necklaces!
LoriMae, have fun!
Frugal today is making some snacks and doing some organizing for a short road trip this weekend. Taking all food, coffee, and drinks from home. I just find that fast food doesn't agree with me very often and this will save us some $$. Other than that, still canning those tomatoes-lots of work but will be worth all the effort later--I keep telling myself this, anyway. Probably salsa and ketchup this week.
Take care my friends, and have a peaceful evening!
Jamie.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Jasmine finally started eating and drinking. She would sleep but refused to drink. I am glad she decided to ..... we were going to have words. She is old enough to know better.

I made some greeting cards this afternoon. The plan is to give to the fire dept for a door prize this weekend. I included a note from to Someone Special, from dh and myself with the names of my business. Clever aren't I?

I baked bread today too. Need to get it out of the pans. I think Jeremiah might eat it all tonight!
Old 10-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

Good evening everyone.
You all sound like you are being frugal.

Frugal today - Started a big crockpot of hamburger/veggie soup this AM. Dyed my hair at home. Did 3 loads of laundry. Did have to use dryer on most. But used the same dryer sheet for all. Retyped my inventory lists for the freezers. Tried to take a nap, but couldn't dose off.
It's a very gray, wet, chilly day here. No money spent today.
Had veggie soup with bread and butter for dinner. YUM.

Have a nice warm evening.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

Sorry for BTB.

BILBY - where are you? Hope all is well.

NIKKI - how are you doing? Write soon. Praying for your's and DH safety.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: I live in the foothills of Maine and near a major river. The area is quiet but we can be in a large city that has everything that you would want to visit. WE're two hours from Old Orchard Beach and it is so beautiful
Mom and I went to Dollar Tree and got some really good buys for Christmas gifts for the grandkids
Old 10-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Frugal for me?Well dh was home sick.I got the kids off to school.I came home did a quick check on the e-mail and went to school.I did some studying and then went to my class.Met with my tutor and worked on some review stuff for my next test.I then came home had lunch and tried to take a nap.I even did study some more this afernoon.My dd wanted some new books and I used the computer up at the libary .I came home made some ravolis and been using up the leftover corn also made up some cheese bread.Oh and I used up the last of the spray on butter for the bread.
Tonight is the PTA meeting and I will be going there.Money is tight but we will be ok.I will be glad when dh gets paid.
Mish
Old 10-06-2009, 03:37 PM
FamilyCorner Addict

Good evening all!!

I have been lurking because everytime I get ready to post, it is time to do something else. I just feel pretty unorganized on here.

Jean, let me start with your question. I have not felt hungry or deprived on this diet. Remember it has only been a little over a week, but the variety is really good. There is no "portion size" which is why. They do suggest lots of raw veggies, but not carrots and probably less onions than I enjoy because of their sugar content. Lots of cheese for the inbetween meal snacks - different kinds like string cheese and laughing cow which is a soft spreadable cheese for celery. And even desert (not devil's food cake with marshmallow icing though). They recommend jello cups or ricotta cheese with a little sugar-free sweetener and some form of extract (vanilla, almond, lemon, etc.) to make canolli creme without the canolli shell. I like both of them. The trick is to take small spoonfuls and really taste and enjoy them. And my craving for bread is starting to go away.

Connie, I am sorry to hear that Jasmine is sick, and suffering another setback. But, please remember that lots of kids who are away from home also get sick, and have to make their grades in order to stay covered under their parents insurance. I know Jasmine faces some special challenges and sometimes the physical consequences seem to carry on for quite awhile, and I give her all the credit in the world. But she has to persevere through this too. That girl of yours is made of some pretty stern stuff, and she has to get through this, and I am sure she will. And Jeremiah is a growing boy and needs a loaf of bread once in a while to grow on.

Barb, you are so right about stocking up when you walk into a good sale on staples. That is truly the time to do it.

Jamie, it sounds like you got a good deal on your boots. I ordered my new winter jacket the other day. It seems to be getting warmer here each winter (oh a few really cold days, but not many), so I am going lighter also. I got a berber pant coat, and as a bonus, I was able to purchase a lined rain jacket for $3.99. Today is the first day I have even put on a long sleeved shirt here.

Mrs. T is still in the hospital. She was supposed to have a test this afternoon before she ate. But the nurse thought she had that test in the morning, and fed her. So she has to stay another night. I understand she is having fits, and they are having to practically hold her down. She tried saying that if they let her go this afternoon, she would come back for the test tomorrow. We all know better...her son called the dr. and told him absolutely no way. They really do want to find out where the bleeding is (stomach ulcer, maybe), and fix it before they let her out.

Anna, I am sure you will come out ahead in the soap deal. Who knows, selling your luxurious soap at the store instead of to the resort may boost your sales. Good luck with the buckeye necklaces too. I am sure having Maddy with you will help you boost those sales also. And tell Neal to get on the ball so his daughter can bring in some of her own money.

Well ladies, better go for now. I want to get the ingredients for those muffin quiches all chopped, etc., so I can make a nice hot batch tomorrow for breakfast. I want to be able to just add the egg beaters, plop the stuff into the muffin tins and cook for 20 minutes.

And of course, I have dishes to do.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 10-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hello, ladies, just stopping in to see how you all are doing and to say hi. I am really enjoying being back to work. I do get tired in the afternoon, but I have been able to come home and take a nap. Norma, don't worry. No carrying files for me. Everyone at work is really nice and brings everything to me and puts the files away for me as well. I am enjoying the pampering. I know it is only available for a limited time - lol!

Connie, I'm sorry to hear Jasmine is having such a tough time. I hope she gets to feeling better soon.

It's been pretty chilly here as well. I have had to turn the heat on as it is getting down close to freezing at night. We are supposed to be having a very cold weekend coming up - highs in the 40's with the possibility of light snow. It is definitely too early for this type of weather. We will definitely have the fireplace going this weekend.

I am going to go put on the pj's, make some tea and curl up with my book. I hope you all sleep well.

Kathy

Closed Thread