Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 05:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

What Did You Do Frugal Today? September 2009

For encouragement in frugal ways--large and small--look no further. This is where we share helpful hints for stretching our money, saving time and making sure we don't waste resources.
Remember, "frugal" does not mean "don't spend money!" It means "be wise with what you spend!"
What did YOU do frugal today?
Old 08-31-2009, 06:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Subbing!

Hmm, oh, another frugal, finally planted the herb seeds I picked up on clearance, oregano, thyme and lavender!

Hugs to all my friends,
Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oops, got carried away and forgot to click on the sub. Where is that dunce cap?

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I agree Lisa if he gives you the same "song and dance" find another DR no sense spending money on one who is not helping you.
Had sandwiches tonite out of what we already had here.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Lisa, I am right there in that same boat with you (well, last week I was...) Let me know how your Dr. appointment goes. I really need to just bite the bullet and find a new doctor myself.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:50 PM

Wow you all have been busy on here today... thanks to all for your well wishes. I didn't feel too bad after I got moving but have been busy all day doing research on gardening, sewed some new sanitaries and went to Lowes and bought the Bee Balm. Thank goodness I hadn't planted it though because one of the groups I belong to that I had asked some questions and it took awhile for them to reply.. 2 of the girls said it's in the mint family (that wasn't mentioned on the site I did my research on, GRRR!) and anyone who has grown mint well knows it is invasive as all get out, you can not kill that stuff. So tommorow back it goes, the hummingbirds will just have to find something else to hang out on.

LoriMae

The book I'm reading is called "Compost" the natural way to make food for your garden by Ken Thompson. One interesting homemade compost he had on there was made from car tires stacked up on top of each other and he found a trash can lid that fit in the top hole. Now I'm not so sure with where tires have traveled that I would want that in my food supply but it was interesting non the less.

Frugal today other than driving across the street to Lowes was staying home and not spending money. I made the burrito's for dinner, worked on the coupons to send to the club this morning, that was about it I think. The Vet called today and we are to keep Windi on antibiotics for another two weeks, then do another urine test and yes, they are going to chase her around with the paper plate again. If the crystals are still there, then we'll be doing the ultrasound to see if she has kidney stones. She didn't seem overly worried about the cushing disease right now?? so fingers crossed this round of antibiotics does the job.

Well I better get off here and get dh's tomato juice done.

Oh another thing I've been doing some research on is growing Stevia next year at home. I was given the instructions on how to make it in sugar, very easy and it's much better for diabetics than anything out there!! and you can grow it at home can't get much more frugal than that!

Anna
Old 08-31-2009, 07:01 PM

Good evening all!!

I am so happy to joijn us for another month.

Lisa, sorry you were feeling so crappy, glad you finally got some help with the food bill. Please do as Roberta suggests and write on a calendar the next date you can get more food from this source. If there are other resources in your area that you can get some help from, don't hesitate to contact them.

And may I please encourage you, Anna, and Barb to find a GYN that you feel comfortable with, and that is willing to help you, not just poo-poo you.

The freezer is back to it's old self (the good self), and the strap is not holding on one side. I need crazy glue.

Chris, glad to hear that you were able to make time in your busy schedule to have lunch with your mother. And with B1G1, it was all the more frugal, and special.

We had a banner day at work today. One resort that owns time shares ordered approximately $140,000.00 worth of upholstery material. Boy that sales rep is going to have a nice commission. Tomorrow is the new month, so that means monthly statements. I look forward to them as much as you ladies look forward to your monthly visits from Aunt Flo!!

I had some rice left from last night's dinner, some bbq'd pork in the freezer, an onion, a large red pepper, so I made fried rice. And I have leftovers.

Tomorrow evening I need to make the pasta salad for Wednesday. I plan to make just enough to take to work. I have more than enough food here for lunches for the rest of the week, and have enough leftovers here to fill in, inbetween.

Well ladies, better go to bed. I hope I sleep well. I woke up several times last night, whenever I would get in a position that hurt my neck, like it hurt last week.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 08-31-2009, 07:43 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Roberta, thank you so much for the encouragement. Brrr, I would have a challenge with hanging clothes in 50* weather, too!
Wdwfreaks, so sorry you've been under the weather. I hope you are feeling better.
Chris, your lunch with your mom sounds very nice!
Cau, how do you like your new chair?
Anna, oh, yeah, mint is invasive..plant it and it's yours FOREVER. lol Good call on returning the bee balm. Stevia would be great to grow. I've had it in iced tea and a few other things and thought it was good.
Norma, glad all is well once again with the freezer and it's behaving itself. I hope tomorrow goes smoothly for you with the finance statements.
Kathy, hot tea and a good read...sounds like a plan!
Lisa, sweet deal on the herbs. I have been freezing herbs flat in freezer bags. They crumble easily when frozen, too. I got that tip from a blog I just discovered called smile, wink, nod! She has some great garden tips.
Cleaned the dinner dishes and am just relaxing the rest of the evening.
Take care and sleep nice!
Jamie.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Just subbing.
Jean
Old 09-01-2009, 04:46 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Last night I cleaned strawberry's. I clean the fresh snap peas for tonights dinner. Dh will be working on clean up the garage this week. Ds #2 is having a yard sale at his place over Labor Day. So we might take a few things over to see if we can get rid of them. Dh and I finally agreed to get rid of the 89 Mustang sitting in the garage. He is calling somebody this week to take it for scrap metal. We probably will get $100 for it.

We have alot of new bills coming at the end of September. So we need to start planning ahead. The new bills are the interest payments on dd #1's college loans. She is required to pay the interest while in college. So we will help her out and pay that for her. When she gets out of college she can pay the prinicipal amount.

I am getting a little worried about dh's unemployment. He is getting at the end of an extention. Soon he will have to do mail in claims instead of phone/internet claims. We hear they are a little slower. So I am expecting to have to change my bill paying schedule around some. I know it will all work out but the unknown is always a little scary.

Charlotte

Closed Thread