Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

What Did You Do Frugal Today? August 2009

For encouragement in frugal ways--large and small--look no further. This is where we share helpful hints for stretching our money, saving time and making sure we don't waste resources. Remember, "frugal" does not mean "don't spend money!" It means "be wise with what you spend!"

What did YOU do frugal today?
Old 07-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Kathy you will feel so much better after the surgery. I am here if you need a shoulder or have questions. Hugs.

Anna, I hope everything works out. That is so scary!

Dh did not get the job. He will need to email the forman back and ask why. At this point I don't know if it worth applying to that company anymore. We do have a wild crazy idea. It is so crazy and $$$ I don't know if we can do it. We would need backing, grants..... we are talking to a realitor and she has given us some advice. We would all LOVE this is we can get it to work out. If we don't try it won't happen. If we try we have a 50/50 chance right?

I ran into my dad in the city today. I almost left the farmers market when I saw he and his gf were there. He wanted to talk. We talked. He admitted to letting gf make all the decsions about spending time with family. I told him HE chose to dump his daughters and their families for a gf and that he behaved like a jackass. (drum roll) He admitted it. He said he is making some huge changes and he is talking to gf about what HE needs. Wow. So we will see. Oh he didn't know about the family member dying either. Well no one can get ahold of him the way gf has her fingers wrapped around him. Again , his choice. Dad did spend time talking and listening to Jasmine today. I haven't see that in years. Gf is mad, very very mad. I did tell dad he is not welcome to come to my home talk about himself all the time, brag about gf and her family and expect us to listen in awe. Nor is gf allowed to come into my home and screech and yell at everyone. I am not angry with dad or gf. I do need to draw the line for myself and my family. Maybe they will get it maybe they won't.

I have no idea how I will sleep tonight. I bought a 'natural' smoothie in town. Yeah right. I could taste the white sugar in it. Icky. I haven't had white sugar since last fall. Will I sleep or not? lol
Old 07-31-2009, 07:23 PM

Frugal Friday Shopping Trip:

I used that instant $5 coupon at Giant Eagle, 10 dog coupons and 1 coupon for Angel Soft toilet paper I still had, bought the coffee on sale $4.99 for a big canister of Maxwell House.. my total after coupons was $3.49 Wahoo!!

Krogers had that sale today only on the Kelloggs cereals... I resisted the temptation to buy alot and only bought one family size box of frosted flakes, cost a few pennies over $2 for the box. We aren't big cereal eaters here but I occassionally will eat it for something fast or if I'm craving sweet... in fact I had a bowl of cereal for dinner.

I have homemade veggie soup thawing out tonight for meals tommorow and am soaking beans to make bean soup on Sunday. Money is going to be extremely tight till I get my paycheck on Tues. or Wed. through the mail so we're making due with what we have on hand till then. I spent $38 at Krogers that included $7.60 for the generic of splenda and 6 packs of Koolaid mix... I had some still at home on the packets but had ran out of sugar. We figured it out, we're spending around $4 a week on Koolaid instead of $12-$15 a week on soda. It would be way cheaper if we were using regular sugar but... we can't because of me being diabetic, I cheat where I can but sure don't need to be packing in sugar carbs in a drink.

What have you done frugal today?

Anna
Old 07-31-2009, 07:29 PM

Uh Bluebird

What is the plan? Or is it a secret right now?

I hope that someday before it's too late you can work through the Dad issues. I do understand, I haven't seen or talked to my Mom for over 16-17 years we have no idea where she is at. She too chose her bf over her family and left state without letting anyone know where she is at. I wonder about her, if she's being treated kindly but have no way of telling and we are quite adamant we want nothing to do with the bf at all under any circumstances. My sisters and brother are in total agreement on that one.

Anna
Old 07-31-2009, 07:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Anna, you did good at the grocery store. I admire you for all the hard work you put into keeping your family going.

Everyone sleep well.
Jean
Old 07-31-2009, 07:50 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I hope you feel better, Connie, and are able to get a good night's sleep.
I hope too, that things work out with your dad. Anna, I am sorry about your mom. Sending you big ((hugs)), sweetie. Sometimes it's just hard to figure parents out.
Sue, thanks! That is so cool. And I thought nasturtiums were just a pretty flower.
Anna, the soap description sounds wonderful!
Lisa, I am so sorry! Ugh, what a pain. I agree with LoriMae. It wouldn't hurt to recheck on the food stamps. It will work out. God will provide for you and your girls. How neat about the volunteer plants!
Lauri, way to go on getting a good start on walking!
Jean, great job on having a store list. It IS hard to stick to it. I haven't exactly mastered that yet either.
Frugal this evening was reserving library books online. I spent a lot of time weeding this afternoon in the garden. We have had a lot of rain lately, and it rained hard again this morning. Usually a very good thing, but it really needs to dry out now as it has just been way too wet. Zucchini and cucumber plants are struggling. Oh, well. Bought seeds to replant more cucumbers and beans. We are getting quite a few green beans, but the yellow waxed beans would be nice to have also for canning. Lots of tomatoes--need to stake those this weekend.
Tomorrow I plan to go to a yarn shop and use a gift card a friend gave me. Other than that, we will mostly be at home this weekend, relaxing.
Take care friends, and Happy Friday!
Jamie.

Last edited by jjoj; 07-31-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Roberta, I will absolutely check with the phone company, thank you! I had that before, when I first moved here and had no job and was on food assistance, that and also had energy assistance!

Jamie, I was told an absolute no on the food assistance when I went in a few weeks ago, and he said that wasn't even counting the child support. You were sure busy today weren't you?

Anna, WOW, you did great at the store! I bet you were thrilled! And yes, I was so excited and humbled by seeing those little gifts from God. And I'm so sorry, hard to understand someone that chooses a bf or gf over their own children. Big hugs from me too.

Connie, good luck on things with your dad as well as good luck with your mystery plan! I'm sorry that your dh didn't get that job, there's a reason he didn't, it's just not revealed yet..

I'm falling into bed friends, Happy August 1st!

Hugs,
Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:56 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

We are going to go to Bed Bath and Beyond today. DD #1 has $225.00 in gift cards. We stocked up on the 20% coupons for 1 item. She will have to go thru the line a few times. But it will be worth it. I also have $5 coupons off. She is going to pick up as much stuff as she can for her dorm room. It will save me lot of money with these gift cards.

DH still doesn't have a job. He is getting unemployement but we desided for him not to bartend any more. The stress of the people and the bullcrap at the bar is to much on his nerves. So we have to tighten our belt even more. The $200 every other week was nice but we don't have to have it. Thankgoodness I have a good job and my company isn't going anywere.

Not much else going on here. I made beef vegetable soup this morning and put it in the crockpot to cook for dinner. We will eat lunch before we go shopping. I am thinking about turning off the a/c but not sure yet. It takes so long to cool the house down if it does get real humid so it isn't worth turning it off.

Have a nice day everyone.

Charlotte
Old 08-01-2009, 05:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Anna, I'm sorry about yr Mom too.

Lisa, Does yr church have any kind of food assistance program?

I'm sorry if I missed anyone else.

Last edited by LaurieS; 08-01-2009 at 05:28 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Charlotte, I'm so sorry about the extra money from the dh but, if it's too much of a strain on him, heck no! And have a great time at BB&B! I love that store, could get lost for days and that's just looking!

Laurie, my church is super small. I know if I needed money for groceries or for gas in the car all I have to do is ask but as small as it is, it would be a drain to them as well. I'm pulling a Scarlet O'Hara this weekend, not gonna even think about it, gonna enjoy my Saturday and Sunday and then Sunday night get back to trying to working it out.

Frugal today, getting chores done at home, need to run up to Mom's because she found bacon on sale and got me a package. Then have to get ready so the girls and I can drive to the bf's house, pile his girls in the van and then go to his sister and bil's 25th anniversary party, after that we'll eat back at bf's place. I love this weekend, I slept in till 7:30! That's amazing for me!

Hugs all, hope you have a lovely morning. You know I'll be checking in before I leave!

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Closed Thread