Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 09:42 AM

Jodi

At our house that's called "Fend For Yourself Night".

Well after talking with dh, he came home he wasn't feeling well a chocolate bunny he ate yesterday made him start feeling sick, he noticed it almost immediately after eating the candy, anyways he just didnt' feel so hot so he came home and we decided to apply for a couple hardware store cards for these seemingly never ending emergencies and we really do need to establish some credit (much as I dread the thought) since it's been several years now since we paid off the house and truck and won't be long before everything falls off our credit report, it's very hard to get credit if you have none (we're thinking down the road if we have to buy another new vehicle) so we'll be buying a mower from Home Depot I think and paying it off by July. Gosh was it ever easy applying online for those cards, down right scary how fast we were approved. Home Depot made us call them and verify some really old obsolete info. about a car we owned in 1995, gosh we got rid of it years ago LOL! but it was one of the things they used to verify our identity. Lowes had a trick question about our mtg. company, very interesting.

Well I'm off to take a nap, I didn't sleep very well last night either with dh sick in the night.

Anna
Old 04-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Contest Moderator
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oooooh! I like that! Fend For Yourself Night! Funny!!

You paid off your house?? Aren't you a rock star! Congrats!!!

Yeah we bought a lawn mower from HD, and the first time I used it (Spouse out of town) it started spewing black smoke and stopped working. (why on MY watch???) So I called HD, pulled the "chick card" and they sent a guy out and they took it away. They brought me a new one and its been fine since. GREAT customer service. But yeah having to finance the blasted thing is not very fun. Sorry. I guess its better than having a neighbor turning you in for the grass being too long. Eek! Good luck. (we need a lawn mower award for all of us gals that get out there and busta move!!!) Is there anything we gals CANT do?? (well I couldn't haul a l/m back to HD...) HA!

J.

Last edited by CalGalInFla; 04-13-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I'm happy to report the migraine has finally gone away. Could have been the combination of 3 Aleve, 2 diet Mt. Dew and the cheeseburger that did it. Not sure if one was more important than the other but, I'm not complaining.

On the lawnmower issue, I bought my 1st lawnmower 2nd hand from a man in town that refurbishes them for $50. It lasted 3 seasons. The one I have now was given to me by my best friend's then boyfriend, his brother moved out of state and he didn't need it.

I'm back at work so I need to get off of here.

Talk to you all later.

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Speaking of mowing Adam came home from his job and began mowing but he has to quit now as have to go for blood work.
Glad your headache is gone Lisa.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Last year when we took the dog to the vet it cost $159.50 and that only included 6 mos for heartworm protection. I got to thinking there must be a better way. I found this other vet who claimed to be affordable and took Maggie last Friday. She had all of her shots and a heart worm test for $82.00. I ordered her heart worm medicine and found it for $14.98 + 5.00 min chg. for 6 months supply online the vet's asst. faxes the prescription to them and they ship free.
We will save over $50.00 doing this.
Can you tell I am proud of myself? Now I am going to work on the satellite co. to get HD free LOL.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Lisa, glad your migraine has gone away.

Anna, hope your Dh will feel better soon. I put "Beauty Shop" on request so should have it soon.

My home warranty is about to come in handy; the handle broke on our dishwasher door. This dishwasher is only about 5 years old! We've known it was coming, but Friday night it finally gave way completely. Tomorrow the guy will come in and fix it. It will cost us $60 for the service call. Hopefully he can take care of it tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:04 PM

Darlene

Since you and I are both in Columbus, which Vet did you use and which mail order company?? Thanks.

Barbzy

Glad to hear you could get the movie, it was really funny and sweet, you will enjoy it. Did you see Mad Money? That one was a hoot too!

Lisa

So glad to hear your migranes gone.

Jody

LOL! I'm with you on hauling the lawn mower, that aint gonna happen especially not in my truck it's so far up off the ground I have to hop to get up in the back or use a step ladder no way am I "manly enough" to swing a lawn mower up in there, dh has though. We are leaning towards a "Lawn Boy self propelled electric start, no more pulling cords and hurting my back and arms. It even has more than one speed it was less than $300.00.

Oh on the refinished lawn mowers, we used to have a old man across the street who did that for a living (I miss him and his wife so much they passed away) but alot of that is about trust and I don't trust anyone else here in the big city.

Well I'm off to make veggie burgers for dinner, will catch you all later.

Anna

Anna
Old 04-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Nine Year Member

My daughter told me the girls at school, when the girls wear the A-shirts call them husband beaters, now that is a new take on things.

We made a ham from the freezer, it was on a terrific sale Smithfield shank end that was so delicious, glazed it with brown sugar, mustard and vinegar and then broiled the top. Along with glazed beets, green bean casserole, and corn bread. All night we were drinking giant glasses of water for the salt in the ham, but oh my, it was so delicious!

Anna, what about some high school kid cutting it for a few bucks? We canít let ours get longer than 6 inches or get a citation. We bought a new lawnmower, set it up Easter afternoon and it cuts so nice. $450 is not frugal but we take care of them so should last 10 years or more like the last.

I think the person is using the vacant house for a tax deduction, but isnít that only good for one year?

No frugals for me here except skipped lunch and ate yogurt and cereal from the work fridge for breakfast, dinner should be great though, leftovers!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 04-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

Anna - Sorry you have to buy a new mower. My husband got mine in the trash (when he worked for city), rebuilt the carburator himself, and knock on wood that mower has lasted 23 years so far!!!! He keeps asking when I want a new one. I love mine - it's light weight and it knows me!!!!!lol

CalGal - I'm with you. I have done all laundry in cold for years. I never use hot water.

Frugal today - stayed home - no spend. Fed the outdoor critters and checked on seedlings. (They are doing so good). I cut mine and dh hair today, and I'm about ready to rinse out dye in a few minutes.
All meals from home. Made cheesy potato/ham casserole tonight and steamed broccoli. Decided to do something different with ham. Really delish.
Really cool and rainy all day. Blaaaa day.
Take care my friends
Old 04-13-2009, 04:12 PM

Ellen

This lady friend makes very little money and what she does make, she spends on books and thrift stores.. unfortunately she doesn't have the same priorities the rest of the neighborhood has. I like her and enjoy talking to her but she has alot of habits we don't care for. And neighborhood kids? most are lazy and want Mom and Dad to pay their way. There is one young boy across the street (my elderly neighbors gs) and he mows the next door ladys yard, another of my elderly neighbors.. I think she pays him $30 a week) but I don't think my next door neighbor would pay that weekly, last year she had it mowed once a month. I'll have to keep after her, with her Uncle living with her and paying on the bills, she should have some extra $ to have it done.

Anna

Closed Thread