Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 05:27 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Boys are home sick today, been busy again. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
Old 12-02-2008, 05:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Yesterday I had a million errands to run PO, UPS, the grocery store, drop off at goodwill and then I went to the mall and did some window shopping and some shopping at BBW. I had 3 coupons I got two items free plus 20% off the total of my order.
Well it felt like a million
Today I have a few stores to go to Kmart, Kohls and Winco for fruit.

I have had the last two days off so trying to get some things done.

I bartered some of my Dilly Green Beans for some Japanese Goyza, they are like potstickers, they were made by some friends of my sons who are Japanese. They are in the freezer for a special occasion.

Thanks to Anna for the inspiration to barter I never would have done that in the past except for your earlier idea.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Chris, welcome back! Did you have a nice Thanksgiving? I love the pinecone ornament idea. My dd2 did that in school one year, it is right now hanging on our Christmas tree.

Laurie, woo hoo on the free goods!

Lee, I hope the boys feel better soon.

Denahowy, love your creativity! I tip my hat to your ingenuity, I really do.

I've balanced the check book and think I'm going to hold off on the last few gifts for now, well will get one today, that is dd2's guitar. She is using her sisters and it needs to be repaired, but she also needs one a little smaller. I'm going to use my influence at the music store, that being how much money I've spent there in the past, to see if I can get some kind of discount!

Going to run into town and pay a bill. Also am donating an old prom dress (80's) to a member on our freecycle group, their church group is throwing a prom for the youth with an 80's theme. My girls will never use that dress, I have another, much prettier from that time that they'd use before the one I'm donating, too many ruffles for them, lol. After that I'm home to gt busy here.

And with that, I'm off! Have a great rest of your morning friends!

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Lisa, if you can't get a good deal at the store, try Musician's Friend. I have gotten 2 guitars for my kids there in the past year. They need better strings (ooo, good Christmas idea!) but otherwise they are pretty good instruments. I also get strings and other supplies there.

Just got Luke a cheapo kids' guitar at Walmart. He wants a guitar like the Big Kids and I have. But his hands are just too little for a full size. I got one that is better for his size. I think he won't like it because it's not electric....I am still thinking if this purchase was a good idea. It might go back, who knows.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:24 AM

Barbzy

I'm thinking you are right and Luke won't like the guitar... they do notice the difference. A couple years back when we had to make a last minute mad dash to buy my out of town nephew a bike, he questioned why his was different color, style, etc. I think at the time he was 8?

LoriMae

Yes, now days I'm really thinking about how to barter and have been doing it alot more. Great job on exchanging food items, it's a win win for everyone.

I just got done making candles... ended up making Italian Biscotti and Rainsin Bread w/Buttercream ones. After bit I'm going to roll up my sleeves and start making my lip balms. I'm using slimsticks for the first time and hopefully alot of different flavors, making a bulk amount and seperating it for the different flavors may be a challenge.

Anna
Old 12-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Barb, I have also used Musician's Friend to purchase a guitar for dd2 a few years back for Christmas, good prices.

Kathy, I hope you have a productive grocery shopping trip. We have been invited to a Christmas ride on train event in a town an hour from here Friday night. I will try to stop at Walmart when it is over and get a few things that are always the lowest price (grocery isles but not a Super Walmart) before I do my other grocery shopping Sunday. Maybe I can save a few dollars that way.

Chris, those pinecones sound like they will be so pretty. My dd1 and her dh did the pinecone bird feeders with their cub scout troop a few weeks ago. Better for boys I think but your "snow capped" ones sound nicer for girls.

My cold is almost gone, I do believe the zinc really helped. Although this morning it sounded like dh is coming down with it now. Jean, did you try that tip with the Vicks VapoRub on your feet with the socks for the coughing?

Frugal last night ended up being leftovers (clean out the frig) for dinner. Dh ended up with a bowl of chicken and dumplings and some potato pancakes. I had regular pancakes from a couple mornings previous. The only leftover still in there is yams, I was pushing those for last night instead of the potato pancakes but he wasn't interested. Tonight is lasagna and garlic bread for dinner. I also used up some leftover sausage patties and made a couple breakfast burritos for dh to take to work and used the bacon to make myself bacon, egg and cheese bagel sandwiches. I think it's about time to microwave one of those now.

Norma, lots of times I just stop by and read but have nothing frugal to contribute so I don't post.

Laurie, I love your bartering, now I'm trying to think if I have something to "trade".
Jacki
Old 12-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Assistant Moderator

I love to barter but here everyone holds on to things forever.

I have made my shopping list but am dragging my feet about going. Yesterday we had a 1/2 paycheck! I am so happy!!! I don't want to spend it all in one day and my shopping list keeps getting longer..... WM has mens jeans on sale. I think I will pick up two or three pair for dh. I have a raincheck from Alco for ds' jeans but I think that will wait. His jeans cost a lot more. I could use some jeans and really need some long sleeved tee and sweaters. Think I will hit the thrift store for those.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi girls, hope all of you are okay. It snowed some here but I believe most of it is gone now. My ds ended up getting his school called off.

Frugal is staying home and cooking whatever we have. I plan on fixing deer meat for ds and dh for supper. Dh loved the turkey pot pie last night. I will make another one when I get more of those roll out pie crusts. I still have a lot of turkey because I made a turkey breast and a regular turkey for our dinner.

Kathy, I am feeling much better than I did. I still am coughing but not as much and I am sleeping much better which is such a blessing. Good luck at the store today.

Jacki, I keep meaning to try the Vicks on my feet but keep forgetting to do that. Thanks for the reminder. The train ride sounds wonderful. You will have to let us know how it goes. Good going on eating up those leftovers. We have eaten up the side dishes from Thanksgiving except for mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. Also, a lot of sponge cake is still here. Ds and I tried it and we didn't like it. I only had one because I knew that was a kind of cake my fil could eat. He took some home with him and I sent more to him along with leftovers another day.

I am writing out my Christmas menu. I don't plan on fixing near as many sides with this dinner. I guess we will have ham, rolls, some type of potatoes, green beans(from my garden), deviled eggs, glazed carrots, cheese cake, chocolate pie, little smokies(that I forgot to fix for Thanksgiving), and some candy. I don't know for sure but thats what I am kicking around right now.

Chris, that is a good and frugal idea for the girl scouts. Lisa, how are things going with your girl scouts?

I still haven't decorated for Christmas. I can't seem to get in the mood to do it.

Anna, I am sure you must have the best smelling house in Ohio.

Well everyone have a good day and take care of yourself.
Jean
Old 12-02-2008, 08:41 AM

Jean

LOL on my block anyways. My customers who buy my fragrance oils that you put in those tea light burners have the best smelling houses . The manager at my store said the neighbors across the street from her can smell her oil burners when she's burning them. Your Christmas dinner sounds wonderful.

Bluebird

Thanks for inspiring me... I just cooked the turkey carcass a little bit ago, deboned it and put it in a freezer container along with the rich broth, will make a good turkey soup this weekend with veggies.

Too bad you can't barter for food exchanges, think on it a bit... you are very talented with sewing, is there anyone there who might like to trade for say a table runner in Christmas patterns or homemade Santa stockings? I'm sure you could make those up easily enough. Maybe for next year on the table runners? or how about the cement goose clothes? or doll baby clothes?

Anna
Old 12-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Nine Year Member

Anna we pay $17 a month for trash/recycling pickup which is rediculas as they get to sell the recycling.

I have a pot of ham & beans cooking for dinner.

Been entering items for the fundraiser that came in last night to place with my Avon orders tonight.

Kids are decorating the tree in the children's dept at the Library tonight with the Girl Scouts.

Roberta

Closed Thread